• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dragonball GT the biggest waste of potential in a series sequel ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Especially a series like Dragonball, which was a long running, beloved, and iconic series that was (for the most part) enjoyable from beginning to end. Say what you will about DB or DBZ being better, subs or dubs being better, Faulconer's music being the shit or just shit, the truth is most people loved Dragonball. Continuing the anime past the manga is not an inherently bad idea, especially not from a business perspective, but also not from a DB-loving consumer's perspective, and GT actually had a lot of really interesting concepts. Originally it seemed to be going for a more lighthearted theme more akin to DB than DBZ, and then it went back to the extremely brokenly powerful characters fighting each other that made Z so popular. The outline for each arc looks great, and the black star dragonballs and the people the Saiyans/Saiya-jins wiped out having new significance are unique and creative plot ideas. The way that Toei broadened the scope of the series into full blown planet hopping at the start seems like the next logical step after introducing the other planets/universes/multiverses in Z's story arcs. It all seems like a recipe for perfect success. But GT is universally considered to be a pile of crap.

None of the concepts that are introduced are ever realized in a way that is interesting from a plot or battle perspective. Goku is the only one worth anything, and even Uub (who is the human version of Majin Buu, destroyer of worlds) is made into useless fodder at his expense. Fan favorites like Gohan and Vegeta get shafted even more heavily, and the potential of Goten and Trunks as teens is never even brought to the table. They even offer to fuse into an adult version of Gotenks at one point, but the idea is shot down as useless because they would be too weak to do anything. Super 17 is an interesting concept, but the way he's brought about just screams poor writing, even by anime standards and even by Dragonball standards. Dr. Gero meets some random other guy in Hell, creates another 17, they fuse and are suddenly more powerful than Buu? I don't buy it, and I don't think anyone else bought it, either.

Everything just reeks of direct to VHS/DVD syndrome. It's all executed so lazily, like the writers took a look back at DBZ and what made it popular and decided to make a checklist, meet that checklist and call it a day. Goku? Check. Fusions? Check. Increasingly powerful villains? Check. Transformations? Check. All of the soul behind it is gone and none of the dots connect in any way that seems meaningful.

The concepts and character designs are good, but I still can't believe how bad GT is overall. Nobody expected an anime-only series to meet the quality of Toriyama's DB, but I don't think anybody expected a gigantic steaming pile of shit, either. This might all seem like rambling, but GT had some serious potential and it wasted it all. I kind of hope Toei tries again one day with a series that overwrites GT and follows the ending of Battle of the Gods.

Anth0ny

Probably, yes.

Blow my mind that it only lasted 64 episodes in Japan. I mean, how fucking shit do you have to be to go from the most popular anime in Japan to CANCELLED in only 64 episodes?

And they haven't tried to make a Dragon Ball anime since. Fucking hell. You see something like a Spider-Man cartoon fail, and it's on to the next one almost immediately. Not the case for Dragon Ball, it seems =(

Just sayin'.

Perfect first post.
The next question should be which was worse: Dragon Ball Evolution, or the Last Airbender movie.

Edit: I am enjoying Legend of Korra, but it really soured the series for me.

Edit 2: Korra fits if you look beyond the just the quality difference from its predecessor and look at how Nick has handled the show up until now.

Kyzer

Banned
They just recklessly ignored so many established concepts and developing stories it was hard to feel like something went wrong and it wasn't the same universe

AmuroChan

Probably, yes.

Blow my mind that it only lasted 64 episodes in Japan. I mean, how fucking shit do you have to be to go from the most popular anime in Japan to CANCELLED in only 64 episodes?

If it was in America it would've been canceled in 2 episodes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No, because the DBZ series was dragging after the Cell games anyways. You could tell that Toriyama wanted to end it long before that.

Alienous

My lord, come to think of it GT is a whole lot of episodes of nothing worth anything.

It has to be up there. I'd also put Metal Gear Solid 4 up there. It could have been so many things it wasn't.

Anth0ny

GT actually killed Dragon Ball in Japan temporarily.

Like, there was NOTHING from 1997 until 2002. Then there was a full resurgence in Japan, with Budokai released for PS2, the manga re-released in Kanzenban form and the series in DVD form in 2003. Luckily that resurgence has been going strong since then, but can you imagine 5 years of nothing for such a popular franchise?

A lot of people is going to disagree but for me
Beast_Wars_title_logo.jpg

Horrible design, CG aged really bad and the only good story IMO is the one that involves Gen 1 Transofrmers.

I am not sure Dragon Ball had a whole lot of potential left. I have actually watched very little of GT so I am not entirely sure what they were going for. But I feel they exhausted much of what is possible in the universe.

Those ideas, like the black dragon balls or destroying planets are just things that became almost necessary for the series to continue.

Now GT is definitely a disappointment, and there could have came something a whole lot better from the Dragon Ball universe, but I don't feel like it was brimming with potential.

As for the Legend of Korra response. I felt that universe still has an incredible amount of potential of which a lot has been wasted. Not that I agree with it being a worst, but it was more disappointing for me as I feel they could have done so much more. They did a much better job on the latest season though.

The last arc and the first arc of GT are good. Everything else is mediocre at best.

Edit: then again, i havent seen GT in some time. I really like the concept of the shadow dragons though.

Sketchbag

Banned
Have you seen Season 3? Because that and Legend of Wan redeems Korra.

And GT was way worse. So was Naruto Pt. 2.

I have seen season 3. It was another disjointed season that did nothing to answer any previous questions, it just adds more.

Spirits are all over the world and nothing happens from that? No spirits fighting humans for terrirtory? Instead we get a spirit who doesn't want to live his tree-street-fort.

Zaheer and gang are the exact opposite of what they want to instill: it's like SLC Punk without the insight.

Korra does what ATLA did bad and does it for 3 seasons.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Not even close.

Also, DBZ ran itself into the ground. There was nowhere to go from there. I like were Battle of the Gods tried to go, but as I understand, its premise will not be continued, so... there's that.

Where did you hear that? I haven't seen the film but from what I understand it left a massive sequel hook at the end...

Horrible design, CG aged really bad and the only good story IMO is the one that involves Gen 1 Transofrmers.

No way man. Season 1 is pretty much a writeoff but Season 2-3 have some great storylines, aside from the CG it holds up much better than the G1 cartoon.

Beast Machines I never liked, though.

I remember in Canada they called this show "BEASTIES" or something and I never gave it a shot because the name was lame and I had no idea it was a Transformers show. After it had aired I checked it out and liked the writing but yeah the animation was still bad.

Yeah GT seemed to fail at everything except like, the Dan Dan theme song. =P And good lord was GT Pan a horrible character. Some weird piece of 90's focus testing with an annoying voice to boot.

A_Gorilla

Banned
DBZ after the Frieza Saga turned into hot booty cheeks

IMO it faltered when that abominable Marty Stu called Future Trunks came into the scene. One Cell came in, and especially once the show started focus on Gohan again though it really began to pick up.

Then Buu came and once again Goku had to steal the spotlight.

Goliath

What?

I can't believe what I am reading? The CG aging badly is not the fault of the show. It was revolutionary at the time, only beat by ReBoot which I believe was the first CG show. It's stories were fun with bad guys turning to good guys and good guys possibly going bad, it's the only transformers series I enjoy. There was progress and things changed and stayed different in that show. Development mattered unlike many cartoons back then where the characters never change or got new abilities and plot lines lasted 15 minutes.

Big One

Banned
GT isn't that bad, but fails to really do anything that makes it worthwhile to watch as a Dragonball sequel. It doesn't really bring anything to the table that you wish Toriyama would've covered...outside of the Shadow Dragon arc, which made the dragonballs actually have consequences for their abuse which was nice. Outside of that though...eh.

The villains also don't really feel like they're more powerful than Boo. Nothing they do in GT suggests that, other than beat Goku, so Goku can transform into something new and continue his power leveling.

It also hurts to think about GT after watching Battle of Gods, considering how much Battle of Gods outrights ignores GT. It features elements that go far, above, and beyond GT went (Goku becomes a fucking GOD) and features a villain that actually feels superior to Boo power-level wise, and also ignores the aging of Pilaf Gang as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom