• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dragonball GT the biggest waste of potential in a series sequel ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you hear that? I haven't seen the film but from what I understand it left a massive sequel hook at the end...

Look at the movie trailer for the next movie. It really looks like it has nothing to do with the previous one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4StkRdYdw

Unless they're actually trying to distance themselves from the previous movie and create a new story arc inside the continuity set by Battle of the Gods (which has never happened among DBZ movies).

I don't actually have any hopes, since the story set by the movie apparently wasn't universally loved and I fear there's been a push for Toriyama to just place characters that beat each other up from minute 1.

That is just a rumor , there is no evidence that he wanted to ended after the cell games.

He didn't come out and say it because he was under contract and making money hand over fist but I think it's pretty obvious.

Part of the whole package of rumors about Toriyama’s thwarted plans of ending the series with the Freeza arc is that, once that plan fell through, he then tried to end it after the Cell Games only to fail once more. All the same things that can be said about the supposed Freeza ending can be said here too: Toriyama has never said such a thing in interviews. He would not have been simply told at the last minute that he would not be allowed to end the series there, so pointing out how climatic the end of the Cell arc feels is irrelevant. If Toriyama had been given the option to end it there, he probably would have. It is unlikely that he would have said “No, I must continue! For I have an artistic vision burning inside me, that I must let out! A vision of a bubblegum monster beating up on a little kid with really long hair and no eyebrows!”… but there is simply no evidence that he actually thought he was going to be given that option while writing that storyline.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/cell/

Big One

Banned
That is just a rumor , there is no evidence that he wanted to ended after the cell games.
In the manga Toriyama does a gag at the end of it basically along the lines of "Nope, Dragonball isn't done yet." He does this when Goku beats Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai as well. It's widely believed that it's possible those two points in the manga were considered to be end-games, considering there really isn't any reason to include a gag like that otherwise.

The Freeza thing is all a myth however. I also recall Toriyama specifically stating that he thought about ending Dragonball as a shorter series aka basically the first arc in the series.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Look at the movie trailer for the next movie. It really looks like it has nothing to do with the previous one.

Unless they're actually trying to distance themselves from the previous movie and create a new story arc inside the continuity set by Battle of the Gods (which has never happened among DBZ movies).

I don't actually have any hopes, since the story set by the movie apparently wasn't universally loved and I fear there's been a push for Toriyama to just place characters that beat each other up from minute 1.

I will cheer so hard if its Broly

Yes Broly. Fuck the haters.

Heroman

Banned

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's probably someone we haven't seen before, just like how Buu was an "ancient evil" and Bibidi had been tormenting people since forever ago, but we never heard about them until the Buu saga. I personally wouldn't get too hyped for any returning villains (what could they do against Goku and co. at this point, anyway?)

Out of all GT's shafted characters, Goten by far got the worst treatment. He didn't have a single moment where he did anything important, and he became really unlikeable. Trunks at least had the first arc to shine. Pan was terrible. Man, all of GT was just... terrible.

That doesn't really prove anything, you can use that to say that he didnt want to end after the cell games

It wont be broly as he non canon character and because he is fucking terrible

lol ok

EDIT: Like I said, Toriyama would never come out and state this explicitly but I think it's pretty obvious DBZ was meant to end after the Cell Games with Gohan taking over as the protector of Earth. Toei probably had him under contract and forced him to continue due to the amount of money they were making on the series, you can see a drop in quality once we get to the Buu saga, and especially in GT which Toriyama obviously had no involvement in. Just my 2 cents.

DBGT is ultimately forgettable and the first half was clearly trying to emulate Dragon Ball and failed.

Then when they started to lose ratings, Toei shoehorned it to be more like Z with forgettable villains who felt weaker than the previous Z ones and failed again.

In the end, it didn't know what it wanted to be; So I do find it to be one of the biggest waste of a franchise ever.

BROOOOLLLLYYYYY!!!!!

Lol it's awesome how so many people in the comments had the same wish as I did after seeing that trailer. Please be him and let him wreck the shit out of the Z Warriors again. The first movie was so hype.

ZangBa

GT had that one amazing episode where Vegeta straight up kills some dudes talking to his daughter when he's driving back home after shopping. That mustache, too, is amazing.

biggest wasted potential is dragon ball to dragon ball z.

Dragon ball isn't as fucked with filler as Z is, but otherwise i'd say they're great for different reasons. Dragon ball is mostly an fantasy adventure, whereas dragon ball z is mostly about losing to the most emo half-alien ever: gohan.

Malreyn

A lot of people is going to disagree but for me
Beast_Wars_title_logo.jpg

Horrible design, CG aged really bad and the only good story IMO is the one that involves Gen 1 Transofrmers.

I didn't see it as a sequel to anything but rather a new spinoff series set in the far future from G1 transformers. Beast Machines on the other hand....

Out of all GT's shafted characters, Goten by far got the worst treatment.

I could not agree more. While Gohan wasn't as dominant a character after the Cell arc, he still had the "Ultimate Gohan" phase. Goten was useless after... (What did he ever do again? :lol) But seriously, after the showdown between Gotenks and Buu, Goten was worthless.

I could not agree more. While Gohan wasn't as dominant a character after the Cell arc, he still had the "Ultimate Gohan" phase. Goten was useless after... (What did he ever do again? :lol) But seriously, after the showdown between Gotenks and Buu, Goten was worthless.
You kinda of answered it yourself but what purpose did Goten ever serve? He doesn't really do anything other than fuse with Trunks and after that's he's useless.

That's a flaw with Dragon Ball in general, having characters who don't do squat except be fodder for the new villain.

Splatt

How cool would it be if it was original Piccolo?

He had the best fight scene in DBZ. He was just soloing everybody and smiling while doing it. Just look at this boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc5vVAUcaR4

Eh, Broly felt like a retread of Android 13's super form from the previous movie, except now they had an entire movie dedicated to a one sided fight. Plus he didn't do anything as cool as punching Goku in the balls, breaking Trunks' sword or doing a backbreaker on Vegeta.

Yeah that fight is great but broly is a terrible character if you can even call him that.

He is a force of nature. He doesn't need character, he just comes in and wrecks shit. He should have never died from that squiggly ass punch. He should have showed up randomly throughout DBZ just to beat up Goku and his mark ass friends and then leave to destroy more planets.

Crocodile

Horrible design, CG aged really bad and the only good story IMO is the one that involves Gen 1 Transofrmers.

Did you mean to say Beast Machines in this post? Of course the CG hasn't aged that well (can you blame it) but otherwise this is still one of the best Transformers series ever produced.

I've been watching Shippuden on toonami and calling the first half of the series thus far 'good' is laughable. OG Naruto is superior in pretty much every way.

Given that "half" is in quotes, I think they meant OG Naruto.

Eh, Broly felt like a retread of Android 13's super form from the previous movie, except now they had an entire movie dedicated to a one sided fight. Plus he didn't do anything as cool as punching Goku in the balls, breaking Trunks' sword or doing a backbreaker on Vegeta.

Welp, I know what I'm doing today. Gonna watch me some Z-Warrior punking.

He is a force of nature. He doesn't need character, he just comes in and wrecks shit. He should have never died from that squiggly ass punch. He should have showed up randomly throughout DBZ just to beat up Goku and his mark ass friends and then leave to destroy more planets.

Sounds like any random villain to me and the most he deserved was one movie let alone three.

Don't see what's so great about a USSJ Trunks recolor, who is pissed at the main character for making him cry as an infant.

Con_Smith

Banned
The character Assassination all the main players recieve is enough that I knew at a young age GT wasn't worth shit compared to the DB and DBZ. I mean as a Goten fan they treated me worse than people who actually like Gohan during the tail end of Z.

Monocle

Probabably. GT was incredibly thorough in its bastardization of Dragon Ball. Barely any characters, tropes, or themes survived unscathed, much less improved.

This is utter bullshit. I think you meant Beast Machines, which almost achieved GT's level of near-comical disregard for the spirit of the prior material.

KDC720

I haven't watched it since I was younger, but I remember thinking baby was a cool idea, although apparently it's considered the worst arc of the show I believe. On a whole GT was just really meh.

Dugna

ehh at the time of watching Dragonball Z I was a little kid and seeing GT just made me happy with glee that it continued after seeing the ending of Z. I mean yeah the writing was bad, but DBZ writing was never good that and we got SSJ4 Gogeta to bad Toriyama ended up basically saying GT was not canon and creating a even stupider sounding SSJ form being SSJ God but overall I'll pretty much anything Dragonball now without question even if said thing is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom