• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is EviLore a 4D Chess Master?

Ribi

On the other site someone with an agenda threw out accusations of sexual assault against a user who didn't agree with their opinion. Naturally I point out the pretty serious accusations and then get called a sexual assault defender and get a van while the other user gets praised for throwing around accusations so long as it fits the admins agenda.

It's definitely a breath of fresh air not having to deal with those kinds of people anymore.

To each their own. I see 2 locked threads on the front page steeped with racism. OldGAF didn't have that, and my preference is those thread don't exist, don't get created in the first place. At least that Animal is banned.
Also, circle-jerks didn't leave, you just exchanged one for another.
Or you know, you could just ignore the one thread talking about it if it is too triggering. Just a thought. There are other sites you may feel more "comfortable" at. Maybe it's time to move on?
What the hell is this? "Don't like it, then move on"? Thats exactly how people say it was pre-exodus, except less blatant. With more content to move on from.
On the other site someone with an agenda threw out accusations of sexual assault against a user who didn't agree with their opinion. Naturally I point out the pretty serious accusations and then get called a sexual assault defender and get a van while the other user gets praised for throwing around accusations so long as it fits the admins agenda.

It's definitely a breath of fresh air not having to deal with those kinds of people anymore.
Post the thread link. Would love to see this for myself.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
To each their own. I see 2 locked threads on the front page steeped with racism. OldGAF didn't have that, and my preference is those thread don't exist, don't get created in the first place. At least that Animal is banned.

What the hell is this? "Don't like it, then move on"? Thats exactly how people say it was pre-exodus, except less blatant. With more content to move on from.

Yeah I mean it's you that's bothered by the community. Simple solution would be to leave or ignore topics that are too offensive for your tastes. Other than that if you are going to complain you should expect to get called out. GAF has clearly shifted to the middle of the political spectrum, if that's offencive and you think most are alt-right then I'm sorry but you are simply misinformed.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

It's an open forum. Dumb racist outlier can go directly to posting dumb racist thing, but gets account privileges removed and the stuff posted is cleaned up. What you're pointing to is how things are working as intended in a good way despite small outliers that are why we have moderation, not evidence of the site being bad.

I wouldn't call things like unchallenged islamophobia and racism, the political middle.

That recent thread was quite abhorrent, but most posting in the thread were very quiet about or in agreement toward a person saying due to all socio econimic factors being cnn fake news, black people in general are essemtially low IQ, genetically dangerous and violent people.

Not to mention the unchallenged posters.

The silence was quite deafening. People kind of just stepped around it like it wasn't there.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I wouldn't call things like unchallenged islamophobia and racism, the political middle.

That recent thread was quite abhorrent, but most posting in the thread were very quiet about or in agreement toward a person saying due to all socio econimic factors being cnn fake news, black people in general are essemtially low IQ, genetically dangerous and violent people.

The silence was quite deafening. People kind of just stepped around it like it wasn't there.
You must have very long arms... You can reach pretty far.

Both those threads were locked and made by the same user... 1 guy. And most people called him out for it. Why didn't you? Did you report him and the for others being islamaphobic?

Ribi

Here's the post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/6972374/

Yes it did. It was full of racism, sexism, and double standards in old social Gaf.

White Cis Males were public enemy number 1 in many topics. Cis Males and White Females were on the hit list depending on the topic.

Old Gaf was full of hypocrites. Individuals who were anti bully, that did nothing but bully on Gaf as an example. But it was for a good cause they said lol.

If you want receipts shown, we can go that way. Not looking to high jack the thread. Perhaps it deserves its own. Although a google search will show it, the info is out there.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You're seeing good and bad where it's really authoritarianism vs libertarianism and how that is being consciously applied here.

Authoritarian-----------------------NeoGAF----------------------------Libertarian

On one side is the pure Libertarian hands-off, anonymous, unimpeded classic internet ideal where just about anything goes however it goes, e.g. youtube comments. It just ends up being whatever manifestation of the userbase's proclivities are as they respond to the content therein without much of any consequences for their behavior. The main standard is that there isn't one. It's the most hands-off way to run a discussion platform since you don't need to do a whole lot but there's the philosophy of open free speech you're standing for, whether it's a complete shitshow or happens to turn out well. It's all free speech.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is the pure Authoritarian platform where all control of speech outcomes toward the mission statement is seen as a good thing, no matter how small the shift toward the direction of the outcome at the largest exertion of control. This can apply to all sorts of different types of discussion, but the authoritarian utopia approach to it gets you to a very narrow space of acceptable output, and a platform that has no capacity for discussion between multiple worldviews. You need to work at it to get to this point, but you're going for whatever utopia you're looking for this hard: the authoritarian utopia of progressive values, maybe, like we turn a hard turn toward last year, or the authoritarian utopia of stormfront which is for a different set of values.

When you get sufficiently hardline authoritarian toward what you see as "good" and "correct" and "woke" with your worldview, you get the authoritarian utopia we had the privilege of starting to experience last year. One correct, woke, righteous opinion, and anything seen as contrary to that is cast out righteously. There's no discussion possible, no multiple points of view to interact, no benefit of the doubt or margin before your departure from "correct," real or imagined, makes you a piece of shit that needs to #fuckoff. The first sign that you might be treading carefully posting correctly but *sniff* *sniff* there's any measure of perceived effort or carefulness taking you there and not directly coming from *believing* fully correctly, without holding back or thinking on it first...uh-oh, gotcha bitch. you're "disingenuous" and those hints of thoughts you never actually expressed still make you a piece of shit that needs to #fuckoff for righteousness too.

Utopias are all nightmares.

I want a balanced environment in between that allows for a wide range of different perspectives interacting with each other successfully, with effort put into keeping things respectful and outside of extreme margins that steers clear of the worst of libertarian utopia, but careful restraint in the application of control that gives elbow room for discussion to exist and doesn't have a singular "correct" it's aiming for, or disingenuous people everywhere to expose somehow to get closer to a correct. That would be right back to authoritarian utopia of pointless non-discussion echo chamber.

You're going to see things you don't agree with. You're going to see things have an opportunity to allow for getting to points of failure before applying "disingenuous" from the first hint that it might be there. It's not a comfortable reassurance of endless repetition of your own correct to bask in and it's a lot more complicated than open hands-off free speech to fuck around and get fucked around in. NeoGAF is going for the healthy space to occupy in between.

dionysus

Yaldog
Are you spawnsniper? If yes, they were right - you came off like a piece of shit.

If I am reading Ribi correctly, he was remarking that the reply to spawnsniper includes someone accusing him of being a molester with no evidence simply because he used some faulty rhetoric to make an admittedly poor point. That accusation is not worth notice from the mods when it is clearly against ERA's guidelines for discussion if they were applied uniformly.

Edit. In general that is why it is so hard to be "balanced." People in power are always going to be more critical of viewpoints they disagree with and apply the rules more harshly on those. Most of the time they will do it unintentionally, though on GAF it was in fact intentional by a few moderators.

Last edited:

Gun Animal

The big Irony of Libertarianism is that a Libertarian social order only works via copious amounts of shunning, balkanization and "physical removal". This is reflected in the way a site like 4chan is organized, and even moreso by the odd 4chan derivatives that pop up.

You'll note that both NeoGAF and ResetEra both require less moderation than OldGAF, effectively making life more "Libertarian" for everyone! At least until the next big polarization. Fortunately, unlike physical space, digital space is infinite.

Last edited:
You're seeing good and bad where it's really authoritarianism vs libertarianism and how that is being consciously applied here.

Authoritarian-----------------------NeoGAF----------------------------Libertarian

On one side is the pure Libertarian hands-off, anonymous, unimpeded classic internet ideal where just about anything goes however it goes, e.g. youtube comments. It just ends up being whatever manifestation of the userbase's proclivities are as they respond to the content therein without much of any consequences for their behavior. The main standard is that there isn't one. It's the most hands-off way to run a discussion platform since you don't need to do a whole lot but there's the philosophy of open free speech you're standing for, whether it's a complete shitshow or happens to turn out well. It's all free speech.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is the pure Authoritarian platform where all control of speech outcomes toward the mission statement is seen as a good thing, no matter how small the shift toward the direction of the outcome at the largest exertion of control. This can apply to all sorts of different types of discussion, but the authoritarian utopia approach to it gets you to a very narrow space of acceptable output, and a platform that has no capacity for discussion between multiple worldviews. You need to work at it to get to this point, but you're going for whatever utopia you're looking for this hard: the authoritarian utopia of progressive values, maybe, like we turn a hard turn toward last year, or the authoritarian utopia of stormfront which is for a different set of values.

When you get sufficiently hardline authoritarian toward what you see as "good" and "correct" and "woke" with your worldview, you get the authoritarian utopia we had the privilege of starting to experience last year. One correct, woke, righteous opinion, and anything seen as contrary to that is cast out righteously. There's no discussion possible, no multiple points of view to interact, no benefit of the doubt or margin before your departure from "correct," real or imagined, makes you a piece of shit that needs to #fuckoff. The first sign that you might be treading carefully posting correctly but *sniff* *sniff* there's any measure of perceived effort or carefulness taking you there and not directly coming from *believing* fully correctly, without holding back or thinking on it first...uh-oh, gotcha bitch. you're "disingenuous" and those hints of thoughts you never actually expressed still make you a piece of shit that needs to #fuckoff for righteousness too.

Utopias are all nightmares.

I want a balanced environment in between that allows for a wide range of different perspectives interacting with each other successfully, with effort put into keeping things respectful and outside of extreme margins that steers clear of the worst of libertarian utopia, but careful restraint in the application of control that gives elbow room for discussion to exist and doesn't have a singular "correct" it's aiming for, or disingenuous people everywhere to expose somehow to get closer to a correct. That would be right back to authoritarian utopia of pointless non-discussion echo chamber.

You're going to see things you don't agree with. You're going to see things have an opportunity to allow for getting to points of failure before applying "disingenuous" from the first hint that it might be there. It's not a comfortable reassurance of endless repetition of your own correct to bask in and it's a lot more complicated than open hands-off free speech to fuck around and get fucked around in. NeoGAF is going for the healthy space to occupy in between.

So what you're saying is that you're actually a 12D Intergalactic Donkey Kong master.

Top Bottom