• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is GAF too strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
But "bitch" is so ubiquitous, it's used on TV, in real life, by men, by women, by kids, everywhere, I just don't think it's reasonable to ban it.

It could probably be argued that TV is part of the problem in perpetuating these anti-female sentiments...so saying "but TV does it" doesn't seem like a useful argument.

Tess3ract

Banned
I feel for the first time that GAF is overreaching with the "b word" bans.
It's probably not tolerated because of all the female moderators they have? I dunno I'm just guessing.

Whatever happens, happens.

It was. People read posts and assume the dumbest interpretation possible so they can fight with you.
Although in the written English language there is no standard way to denote irony or sarcasm, several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and frequently attested are the percontation point invented by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, furthered by French poet Alcanter de Brahm in the 19th century.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
we probably have a banned word list, its probably the easiest way to get blind side banned.

is calling a guy a c**k, d**k, or pr**k banned?

also, i just noticed that all slang for penis ends in k or g.

pigeon

Banned
Whether he ever said it or not, nobody would be super up in arms about it, it would be dismissed as a dumb joke. Which the statement in the thread I'm referring to should have been, in my opinion. Gaf shouldn't be the kind of place where we have to keep things G rated. Its not disrespectful to women as a whole to call one clearly crazy person who put lots of people in danger a bitch.

Why not just call her a psycho? An asshole? A jerk? A douche? A lunatic? A person who is clearly not 100% on some of the basic concepts involved in driving?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
You're missing the obvious point.

This forum isn't about performing for people to make them laugh, it's about discussion. If you want to tell stupid jokes to make people laugh then A) Make them within the clearly defined rules or B) Go somewhere else.

I'm saying its an internet forum, it can be more lighthearted.

"Serious discussion only. If you have to make jokes, make them within the clearly defined rules to ensure absolutely no one is offended."

Really man? Like i said before, its a gaming forum, not the UN. This is why that "No Fun Allowed" picture keeps coming up in the OT. We could all stand to lighten up a little.

Milchjon

It could probably be argued that TV is part of the problem in perpetuating these anti-female sentiments...so saying "but TV does it" doesn't seem like a useful argument.

What I was trying to say, if you approach posting on GAF with real life standards when it comes to wording, you risk to be fucked. So you definitely have to watch your mouth sometimes.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Why not just call her a psycho? An asshole? A jerk? A douche? A lunatic? A person who is clearly not 100% on some of the basic concepts involved in driving?

Its okay to insult a person maliciously, just don't say "bitch". Ever.

Better lock all the Breaking Bad threads, then.

C'mon, man.

If one wants to survive on GAF, a good start would be to never be critical of someone who is female, even if they are responsible for ruining the lives of thousands of people by way of wrongful convictions, or endangering the lives of preschool children by driving on a sidewalk. If you're going to criticize them, do it like you're walking on eggshells.

marrec

Banned
I'm saying its an internet forum, it can be more lighthearted.

"Serious discussion only. If you have to make jokes, make them within the clearly defined rules to ensure absolutely no one is offended."

Really man? Like i said before, its a gaming forum, not the UN. This is why that "No Fun Allowed" picture keeps coming up in the OT. We could all stand to lighten up a little.

I understand what you're saying, but the rules aren't onerous. Restraining the general users from a post consisting entirely of 'What a bitch' is, believe it or not, good for the board. He could have, instead, say 'Wow, what a horrible human being, what drives someone to do that? ' and said the same thing but in a much less offensive way. 'What a bitch' isn't a joke, or a comment, it's just an offensive declaration.

reggie

Banned

Do you not see how ridiculous this is? All these are acceptable but 'bitch' is the big no-no? They all mean the same thing.

pigeon

Banned

C'mon, man.

Is this your way of saying that you don't have an answer to my question?

(Also, if if I were a mod, the Breaking Bad thread would make the creepshots thread look like Pop-GAF.* That thread is a fucking disgrace.)

* I'm assuming the people in Pop-GAF don't get banned very often.

Do you not see how ridiculous this is? All these are acceptable but 'bitch' is the big no-no? They all mean the same fucking thing.

Except only one of them implies that her being a woman is a fundamental part of the problem?

Why?

Why would that ever be considered. It's a word used exclusively towards men that is quite literally saying they're a woman's vagina cleaning tool.

What's so disgusting about a woman's vagina? Why are we drawing an inherently sexist distinction to their hygiene practices?

Dude, this is neogaf. We had a guy seriously arguing that it's okay to drive up sidewalks as long as you aren't speeding to avoid stopping for a school bus.

Fair point.

In the wake of RoboGeorgeForeman's cataclysmic departure, I think I've going to follow through with an idea I've been holding for some time now, and no longer use any swears/insulting words in my posting. Instead, anytime I feel like something or somebody is deserving of insulting feedback, or I read something that greatly angers me, I'm only going to post things like, "You're a special guy", or "Quit being so special." With this way, the reader can truly decide exactly how offended they would like to be based on whatever word they substitute for those which I have used.

Cyan

Banned
Fair point.

In the wake of RoboGeorgeForeman's cataclysmic departure, I think I've going to follow through with an idea I've been holding for some time now, and no longer use any swears/insulting words in my posting. Instead, anytime I feel like something or somebody is deserving of insulting feedback, I'm only going to post things like, "You're a special guy", or "Quit being so special." With this way, the reader can truly decide exactly how offended they would like to be based on whatever word they substitute for those which I have used.

What's wrong with special needs kids?

Orayn

C'mon, man.

How far do you want to take this line of argument? Should we be allowed to whip out racial slurs depending on the ethnicity of someone who does something stupid, irresponsible, or aggravating? The basis of the "b-word bans" is that it's a gendered insult that people are using just 'cause.

Tess3ract

Banned
What's so disgusting about a woman's vagina? Why are we drawing an inherently sexist distinction to their hygiene practices?
It's used to prevent yeast infections. Being "eww vaginas" is really juvenile, but then again so is this whole discussion frankly.

Sometimes a word is just a word and people need to "cool their jets" and not let little things like this bother them.

It's used to prevent yeast infections. Being "eww vaginas" is really juvenile, but then again so is this whole discussion frankly.

Sometimes a word is just a word and people need to "cool their jets" and not let little things like this bother them.

You're confused. That's my point!

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Is this your way of saying that you don't have an answer to my question?

I guess I didn't make it clear enough. To answer your question: all those things you said and the word "bitch" apply to the person in question. Anyone insulted by calling that person a bitch needs to dial it down a few nods. That was not a statement meant to belittle women, it was a statement about one person, and the guy who made it shouldn't have to walk on eggshells, he should be allowed to say what he's thinking, provided he is not attacking a forum poster maliciously or insulting an entire race or gender of people.

And maybe i'm in the minority, but i don't think calling a woman who does something that crazy and dangerous a bitch insults women as a whole. Just like if it were a man and someone called him a dick, i wouldn't be offended, even though thats an insult designed to belittle men exclusively.

TL;DR: Everyone needs to lighten up and stop looking for reasons to be upset.

Xanathus

Prick and pussy are gendered insults commonly used against males. Are these also banned when used in reference to male entity? Also does this rule apply only to real persons or does it also apply to virtual characters like Lara Croft? Mods please clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom