• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is gamefreak the least competent developer for Nintendo?

I wouldn't call Platinum all that competent on the technical side. All of their games are plagued with framerate issues.
Their games target 60fps. In the example of Bayonetta 2, it actually looks great for the platform and it runs pretty well.
Pokemon X/Y struggled to hit 30

Ogodei

They definitely have bizarre design decisions where they happily throw away things that work to introduce new things that work less well. X and Y had a perfect online integration while i barely touched the Festival Plaza because i didn't know what to do with it.

Frost_Ace

Graphically speaking their games are not the best. They were never the best. R/B/Y had some really ugly sprites and the games were full of bugs. And they are still struggling with 3D graphics in 2017. It's incredible that the 3DS can run games like Sm4sh and resident evil revelations just fine but the battles and some animations on S/M are so choppy.

Also I don't think we can give the blame to them for the business model they follow (you know game/game with added content/remake pattern) which is clearly something not decided by them, or at least not only by them.

ryechu

Their games target 60fps. In the example of Bayonetta 2, it actually looks great for the platform and it runs pretty well.
Pokemon X/Y struggled to hit 30

Yes. I wasn't claiming that they were less competent than GF. I already agree with the OP. Still, all their games fail to reach stable 60, with games like W101 having atrocious slowdown. And none of their games are particularly beautiful, mostly due to the environments.

Mael

I don't know about incompetent but they could certainly do with better level design :/
I feel GenVII is going backward from GenVI as far as general level design goes (as in routes, dungeons, etc).
For the general technical achievement, I'd say they have so many moving parts they have to deal with it's great they managed to make 3D games with backgrounds on such a small team.
The QA teams are probably the one team I have the highest respect for.
With so many possibilities, it's a goddamn miracle it's not riddled with game breaking bugs left and right.

Heck Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow were your regular JRPG as far as scope goes (even for OGB). A technical feat to manage such a large area without loading zones, giving the impression of a large openworld in your pocket. Seriously it's an impressive feat on a machine with such clear limitations.
The issue is that with each iterations the scope gets bigger and bigger (because on top of that they managed to foster a competitive scene that they try to balance around).
Sure the game ain't pushing a million polygons in 3D while leaving room for a regular 3DS to run the rest of the OS fairly easily but it's still impressive what they managed to do.

I know I'm happy with USUM being 3DS bound but they really need to go beyond the 3DS, they can't even manage to more than 1 area without loading screens now (XYORAS were already not that good in that area).
Alola is kinda fitting with the restrictions they have on 3DS hardware but they really need to expand and go Switch or something because they're hindering themselves bigtime now.

Based on what people tend to joke about, I'd say Arzest is Nintendo's least competent developer.

Game Freak makes okay games, but I'd say that this is largely because they have a solid base on which to build their games on. When it comes to building on that base, they've stepped into a cycle where they don't actively try to make a better game than their last. Each generation introduces a couple of new mechanics that are eventually forgotten about when the next generation comes around; Triple/rotation/sky/inverse battles have been thrown away, Pokemon don't follow you, swarms don't exist anymore, hordes are gone, mega evolution seems to have been abandoned, contests came back and are now gone, secret bases as well, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see z-moves fade away in the future. The games seem to be designed in a way where a new feature or two is introduced for that new pull factor at the expense of existing features which are brushed under the rug. Things that remain are sometimes done worse than in past games (Sun and Moon's menu system is a disgrace compared to X/Y's for example, while SOS'ing for hidden abilities is awful). They did a great thing by making HG/SS a complete improvement over the originals, with everything from Crystal included and much more, yet ORAS didn't even include Emerald's base content and featured rather anemic added content.

Additionally, I think their map design, story pacing, and complexity of the world (time related events, important NPCs, specialized areas) have all gotten worse over time. You would think that they'd have the money to find good talent to make a decent story when they decide to shove in cutscenes every 5 minutes like in S/M. They also haven't actually tried to push the systems they're on for a while now, which is kind of lame since they make the main games for one of the largest video game franchises on Earth.

I kind of wish Pokemon didn't experience the massive resurgence it did last year. Maybe it would have pushed TPC/GameFreak to actually put some time, money and effort into their titles (or maybe it would have resulted in more mobile games, who knows).

Playsage

About the "can't make a HD game in 5 years"... Maybe TPC never commissioned one during the WiiU lifetime? I don't think they are free of developing whatever they want with the IP

I don't know if I would use the word competent since that can be quite loaded, but I think the gulf between importance and capital of a property to actual output is striking, and it reminds me similarly to Sonic games where the property is so valuable yet the games turned out are garbage (Sonic games, that is). I think Game Freak makes ok to really good Pokemon games, but considering how valuable Pokemon is, I'd expect a hell of a lot more from them.

Edit: I'd also like to use this thread to issue my very controversial opinion that there are now way too many Pokemon, and that they need to do a culling and get rid of a bunch. Having almost a 1000 Pokemon, most of them not that good to begin with, kind of bogs down newer games.

Merc_

Isn't the creator of Pokemon autistic, or at least on the spectrum? Wiki says Tajiri still directs mainline releases in the series.

I'd say that might be a solid reason why their dev process is conservative. Afaik breaking from routine can be anxiety inducing for some people with asd so he might just prefer to stay the course and iterate incrementally while the game remains successful.

I also assume this is why there's very specific rules and conditions around how Pokemon IP is handled.

lmao holy shit

In terms of character design, Gamefreak is probably one of the best in the industry, certainly one of my favorites because the designers express inspiration in so many ways, it's an absolute joy to behold to see how they interpret everything from exotic animals to everyday objects. They just have issues translating the amazing art at times though, as well as the Anime, does nowadays (which right now is amazing). Though the cutscenes in Sun and Moon show that they're getting much better at that and the personality given to each mon through Pokemon Refresh and Amie is still decently impressive.

They're also quite conservative in structure. By and large Pokemon's release structure has not changed for almost the entire series though features have come and gone.

Personally, I'd like some more QoL again.

Gameplay wise, the pokemon games have always been breezy adventures for me. The RPGs that I can relax to and not stress out outside the incredible but still has a high barrier to entry multiplayer. This only improves with 3rd version of the games which polish up rough edges in the 1st entries and tighten up the pacing while also adding more interesting content so that they appeal to me even more.

Yes, Gamefreak is trash.

Unfortunately the Pokemon IP and this mainline Pokemon series is so popular to a degree where quality won't even matter in so far that they'll sell many millions and make mad profit either way.

SDF-1

Banned
I'm aware of that. First of all, we have no legitimate source that he has Aspergers. The "original source" came from an autobiography on Satoshi Tajiri. The author of the book claimed that he got it from Tajiri's MySpace account--that doesn't count as a valid source, in my opinion. Although Tajiri may in fact have Aspergers, he never openly stated to having it.

Secondly, I really doubt Tajiri is to blame for Game Freak's incompetence. He is not the only one in charge. I found your rationale to be a bit silly, and quite frankly, a bit irksome. I don't have Aspergers, but I imagine that if anyone with Aspergers saw your post, they would feel upset.

OK. Perhaps I should have clarified in the context of OP. I don't think Game freak is an incompetent developer at all, just that they have differing priorities for the series than just upping the graphical FX.

KrawlMan

It is pretty frustrating that devs that make buttloads of money like Gamefreak and Bethesda can't seem to get the right talent.

I would never lump the two of these together. Bethesda might get a lot of flak for weird bugs, but the complexity of what they deliver is on another level. Pokémon games are cookie cutter JRPGs that push no technical boundaries.

Mael

Maybe Monolith Soft will have to lend a hand.

If they intend to go full HD for the big screen, they'll probably have to go full Breath of the wild on us with a living breathing world with intricate systems.
The problem they have now is that they can't follow the normal progression path like before so the expectations aren't the same too.
Let's be frank, a game like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinium at the peak of the ps1 on n64 or similar hardware would have blown anyone off regardless of anyone complaining about the game's limitation.
3DS is largely similar in the games it provides to GC/Wii (if you can make a parallel between hw lines) and they'll have to jump 2 hw gens for the next iteration.
Look at the 3D models in XYORAS or even SM/USUM, they're really good but they still won't cut it on the big screen with that texture work (of course they have high fidelity models of all of them but still).
Looking at interviews (like Iwara Asks) and other promo material, they really try to take into account player expectations into their products (which in a roundabout way lead them to ditch postgame because a significant part of the base vocally made it known they didn't care about it, I agree with yall let's hang them).
I'm ready for a crow plate but I think they're going to prepare something really special to bring the main series to the bigger screen AND it's going to take fucking forever.

Red Devil

If they intend to go full HD for the big screen, they'll probably have to go full Breath of the wild on us with a living breathing world with intricate systems.
The problem they have now is that they can't follow the normal progression path like before so the expectations aren't the same too.
Let's be frank, a game like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinium at the peak of the ps1 on n64 or similar hardware would have blown anyone off regardless of anyone complaining about the game's limitation.
3DS is largely similar in the games it provides to GC/Wii (if you can make a parallel between hw lines) and they'll have to jump 2 hw gens for the next iteration.
Look at the 3D models in XYORAS or even SM/USUM, they're really good but they still won't cut it on the big screen with that texture work (of course they have high fidelity models of all of them but still).
Looking at interviews (like Iwara Asks) and other promo material, they really try to take into account player expectations into their products (which in a roundabout way lead them to ditch postgame because a significant part of the base vocally made it known they didn't care about it, I agree with yall let's hang them).
I'm ready for a crow plate but I think they're going to prepare something really special to bring the main series to the bigger screen AND it's going to take fucking forever.

Right, whatever it is, I wouldn't expect it before 2019 to kick off Gen VIII.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
been avoiding this thread since it's definitely cancerous but just wanna correct

Yes they are, but not a full ownership stake.

no, they're full 100% independent, they did buy a mobile company though

you're probably thinking of TPCi

people only think of recent titles for independent works, but they've done lots of stuff for others since early days, apparently even up to SNES era for Sony according to wiki

KillLaCam

Banned
Yeah they do less than sports games. Its crazy. I wish Nintendo had someone else to make Pokemon games. It has so much potential ...But they make alot of money.

Mael

Yeah they do less than sports games. Its crazy. I wish Nintendo had someone else to make Pokemon games. It has so much potential ...But they make alot of money.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of sports games you guys are playing and also if yall are aware of the amount of work put into the yearly iterations of stuffs like Fifa, Madden or PES...

e: and the comparison with Capcom is so funny when you realize there are less than 110 people working at GFreak.
and the comparison to a company like Blizzard with more than 4000 employees...

These threads will always be filled with dev apologists saying that they're entitled to do whatever and however they like with their properties. And that is absolutely correct, but I personally think they stand with the Monster Hunter team over at Capcom as being what must be one of the highest earning but laziest devs.

They could be using the incredible resources to try to push the medium forward and instead, they churn out reskinned remakes, low effort upgrades, and boringly formulaic games every few years and rake in the cash. Sure, that's business, high profit, low cost. I got that. But I can dislike it as a fan, and a consumer.

I'd much rather support devs like CDPR, From Software, Blizzard, Kojima, and indies like Grinding Gear Games or Bluehole, who clearly instantly turn around and put their newfound growth right back into making the gameplay, and consumer experience, more refined and fresh. And that's not even to say that these devs are infallible either. But at least I see the consistent growth/experimentation that warrants my continued support.

These threads will always be filled with dev apologists saying that they're entitled to do whatever and however they like with their properties. And that is absolutely correct, but I personally think they stand with the Monster Hunter team over at Capcom as being what must be one of the highest earning but laziest devs.

They could be using the incredible resources to try to push the medium forward and instead, they churn out reskinned remakes, low effort upgrades, and boringly formulaic games every few years and rake in the cash. Sure, that's business, high profit, low cost. I got that. But I can dislike it as a fan, and a consumer.

I'd much rather support devs like CDPR, From Software, Blizzard, Kojima, and indies like Grinding Gear Games or Bluehole, who clearly instantly turn around and put their newfound growth right back into making the gameplay, and consumer experience, more refined and fresh. And that's not even to say that these devs are infallible either. But at least I see the consistent growth/experimentation that warrants my continued support.

szdkjfhsdjkfhdjkg :lol

Monster Hunter is not only one of the best looking 3DS games EVER but also packed with content and online play. It's basically a console game with high production costs and refined action gameplay on the fucking 3DS and its shitty graphics card and poor ass 240p resolution. Capcom milked the 3DS more than Nintendo itself (Smash might rival).

Capcom did wonders with Monster Hunter on the 3DS. It's offensive to say they are lazy. They did all they could and BEYOND.

Ok, hear me out. I am a giant Pokémon fan since forever, and I love the mechanics and character design in the mainline games. But gamefreak as a developer is laughably far behind every other developer working with or for Nintendo.

They are consistently behind technically:

This one is pretty much the crux of it for me. GF consistently falls below the baseline standard Nintendo sets for their systems. Standards that other Devs hit commonly. XY and ORAS didn't have 3D in the over world, and SM didn't have it for battles either. Can you name another 3ds game (1st or 3rd party) that doesn't feature the 3D visuals, a key feature of the system? And even once they get XY running, they can't even get consistent 30fps out of it. SM features bad performance as well even though it doesn't have 3D battles. They are showing that they can't develop an HD game nearly 5 years after nintendos first HD system the Wii U. And their games are infamous for game breaking bugs and save errors.

They are too conservative:

Last time I checked, gamefreak Dev team was something like 35 individuals. Now I know that the Pokémon brand has a LOT of other people and companies involved. (Nintendo, TPC, creatures inc, etc) but why the hell is the developer of a mega hit billion dollar franchise like Pokémon so tiny and slow? They can only barely produce the games they do on time, and even then they are plagued with technical problems. So why the hell haven't they expanded some more to compensate? They have the cash, it screams incompetence and or laziness/stagnation.

They are bad at systems design.

With the exception of the battle system and maybe the breeding system, nearly every other system in the Pokémon games has been time consuming, un-fun, unnnecesarry, or flat out broken. The festival plaza is the most recent example. I know the excuse is that they were supposedly leaving the 2 screen design behind, but now we know it had nothing to do with switch and was just shoddy design. Why the shit should I have to leave the game and load a deprecate area anytime I want to do anything online? Especially when it's 2017 and the previous games didn't require it and the system doesn't either. It's just straight up bad design. So is the hyper training mechanic, making us level up our Pokémon to 100 does NOTHING for the players except waste their time. Why should we have to get them leveled up that high to change their stats when the official level scaling for standard battles is 50? Just because they wanted an artificial barrier. They also commonly fail to implement overarching system functions from the handheld their games are on in favor of developing their own crappy ones. Instead of nintendos own friends list or wifi connect service, they always want you to have a separate lobby and friends list with its own ins and out. It's just bloated and unnecessary.

please let me know what you guys think. I'm sure there are things I'm not considering but I'm really souring on GF right now.

Your last point is full of inane nonsense. I dont agree.

I'd say they need to take longer with their games and go back to being new game every 2 years.or 3 years

lmao holy shit

I dont wanna backseat mod, but holy shit that requires a BANNED BISH gif!

Is there a way to report posts from a locked thread? Because this is gonna become a locked thread

I don't know about incompetent but they could certainly do with better level design :/
I feel GenVII is going backward from GenVI as far as general level design goes (as in routes, dungeons, etc).
For the general technical achievement, I'd say they have so many moving parts they have to deal with it's great they managed to make 3D games with backgrounds on such a small team.
The QA teams are probably the one team I have the highest respect for.
With so many possibilities, it's a goddamn miracle it's not riddled with game breaking bugs left and right.

Heck Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow were your regular JRPG as far as scope goes (even for OGB). A technical feat to manage such a large area without loading zones, giving the impression of a large openworld in your pocket. Seriously it's an impressive feat on a machine with such clear limitations.
The issue is that with each iterations the scope gets bigger and bigger (because on top of that they managed to foster a competitive scene that they try to balance around).
Sure the game ain't pushing a million polygons in 3D while leaving room for a regular 3DS to run the rest of the OS fairly easily but it's still impressive what they managed to do.

I know I'm happy with USUM being 3DS bound but they really need to go beyond the 3DS, they can't even manage to more than 1 area without loading screens now (XYORAS were already not that good in that area).
Alola is kinda fitting with the restrictions they have on 3DS hardware but they really need to expand and go Switch or something because they're hindering themselves bigtime now.

This I will say, level design from the 3rd and 4th gens are much better than the level design in the 6th and 7th gen for sure. They made it to easy to navigate,(trying to appeal to children)
They definitely have bizarre design decisions where they happily throw away things that work to introduce new things that work less well. X and Y had a perfect online integration while i barely touched the Festival Plaza because i didn't know what to do with it.

Festival plaza is great and centralized I use it alot, PSS is confusing tbh.

Mael

This I will say, level design from the 3rd and 4th gens are much better than the level design in the 6th and 7th gen for sure. They made it to easy to navigate,(trying to appeal to children)

I don't know about the 3rd, ORAS was pretty similar to RS as far as map design goes and it's pretty underwhelming when put it in the 3D engine.
Easy to navigate wouldn't be a problem if there was some kind of point to the whole exploration of the places.
SM seemed a bit aimless in its design, never really leading you anywhere and when you reach a deadend for no reason you never get that there was a reason to get there in the 1st place.
The gameworld being so segmented doesn't help but probably more to do with puny 3DS hw rather than the game design.

Festival plaza is great and centralized I use it alot, PSS is confusing tbh.
Plaza is a good idea but not for 3DS, it takes forever to load and it might as well be another game altogether tacked on for no reason :/

I don't know about the 3rd, ORAS was pretty similar to RS as far as map design goes and it's pretty underwhelming when put it in the 3D engine.
Easy to navigate wouldn't be a problem if there was some kind of point to the whole exploration of the places.
SM seemed a bit aimless in its design, never really leading you anywhere and when you reach a deadend for no reason you never get that there was a reason to get there in the 1st place.
The gameworld being so segmented doesn't help but probably more to do with puny 3DS hw rather than the game design.

Plaza is a good idea but not for 3DS, it takes forever to load and it might as well be another game altogether tacked on for no reason :/

They've been making the games more linear since gen 5 but at least gen 5 was still fun. The game was mostly driven by the trials so you went to places to do trials/find pokemon. thats all. I spent the whole game ev training multiple pokemon all the way up to the end of the campaign and then I put the game down for a bit. I hated Gen 6, but Gen 7 is really fun imo.

The way they design the games now, you either fight trainers or run through grass. its clearly segmented on the map. In R/S they through you in the thick of it. I'd run from pokemon majority of the time in the old games because I got too busy battling the trainers and trying to finish the campaign.

The plaza is genuinely fun to use
I like it more than sinnohs underground and the weird parrallel universes in Black and White lol. PSS is kind of confusing to navigate after not playing X and Y for so long.. PSS is also pretty bad for the framerate I think.

Coming into this thread was a bad idea..

I mean people honestly post stuff like this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239361414&postcount=3162

Gaf needs a bright red REPORT button lol

Yes. I wasn't claiming that they were less competent than GF. I already agree with the OP. Still, all their games fail to reach stable 60, with games like W101 having atrocious slowdown. And none of their games are particularly beautiful, mostly due to the environments.

TW101 hardly ever slows down during important gameplay moments.

And that game is a phenom of design. It is perfection at work.

Completely agree with every last one of your arguments OP.

-Shit framerates and no 3D
-Tons of absolutely garbage systems like festival plaza litter their games
-Always behind technically, whether it's developing for an old system or just being graphically inferior games to other titles on the system

They are terrible, and I hate seeing pokemon shackled to them.

The one thing they got right over the past 5 or so years was the move to 3D models in X/Y. They nailed that. Everything else, technically, has been a shitshow. Moon on my OG 3ds was near unplayable, I had to get a new 3ds.

Read the OP. The arguments are clearly laid out.

lol my og 3DS has a leaking battery and will literally die if its not plugged in and S&M played fine on it. stop trippin'

Moving on though, I would LOVE to see Monolith Soft design an overworld for a pokemon game.

They haven't made a truly great game in a long long time, the last few mainline Pokemon games have been the worst yet. I don't think they'll ever make an RPG as good as Gen 1 and 2 ever again.

HGSS and every game released in Gen 5 is better than both 1 and 2 lmao.

Raonak

Banned
I do think they are a mediocre developer working on an amazing franchise.

Their lack of ambition is so frustrating.

It's not GameFreak that makes the money, it is the IP. Any remotely proper developer could make money with Pokémon.

This doesn't address the OP at all? GameFreak makes Nintendo money because it's Pokemon. Any studio could make Nintendo money if they had Pokemon as their main IP - Pokemon could be a hot turd and make a shit ton of money, which I believe it did with Pokemon Go? Making someone money doesn't mean they're not incompetent or that they are competent.

Not even you believe that.

There's much more to making a Pokemon game than merely creating towns and placing monsters on routes.
Also, GameFreak created that IP and kept it relevant for twenty years, so yeah, questioning their competency remains silly and a knee jerk reaction to there not being a Pokemon game on a platform unable to provide the install base required by the series' usual sales.

They haven't made a truly great game in a long long time, the last few mainline Pokemon games have been the worst yet. I don't think they'll ever make an RPG as good as Gen 1 and 2 ever again.

Gen V trashes Gen I and II, it's not even close. And I say this as someone who started with Gold.

Suplexer

They're supporting the platform with the higher install base. It makes sense.

I'm very confused by this argument.

I own two 3DSs and I never play them, they collect dust on my shelf. I am willing to bet of the people who own a 3DS, and play it in 2017, and are willing to buy a new version of Sun/Moon, most are also Switch owners or intend to be and would have bought it there. I will not buy a 3DS game as long as I own a Switch.

There are also more people who own a WiiU than people who own a Switch. Would you still defend a choice to release something like Splatoon 2 for WiiU instead of the Switch just because it has to-date sold more, or am I missing some part of this defense?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
szdkjfhsdjkfhdjkg

Monster Hunter is not only one of the best looking 3DS games EVER but also packed with content and online play. It's basically a console game with high production costs and refined action gameplay on the fucking 3DS and its shitty graphics card and poor ass 240p resolution. Capcom milked the 3DS more than Nintendo itself (Smash might rival).

Capcom did wonders with Monster Hunter on the 3DS. It's offensive to say they are lazy. They did all they could and BEYOND.

let the irony flow on him

I'm very confused by this argument.

I own two 3DSs and I never play them, they collect dust on my shelf. I am willing to bet of the people who own a 3DS, and play it in 2017, and are willing to buy a new version of Sun/Moon, most are also Switch owners or intend to be and would have bought it there. I will not buy a 3DS game as long as I own a Switch.

There are also more people who own a WiiU than people who own a Switch. Would you still defend a choice to release something like Splatoon 2 for WiiU instead of the Switch just because it has to-date sold more, or am I missing some part of this defense?
You lost this bet

Astral Dog

Bayonetta 2 is beautiful for an action game (on Wii U

Top Bottom