• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gotham Knights even worth a look at $20?

If you enjoy repetitive tasks on a level that makes Ubisoft open world games look extremely unique coupled with highly disappointing combat with a ton of grinding for resources to make microscopic upgrades to individual stats, play Gotham Knights. Otherwise, go play Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate. Both have better stories and gameplay than Gotham Knights and should be available on the cheap.

SkylineRKR

I played the 2 h trial on PS Plus. Its very unoriginal and instantly feels worse than Arkham but it does have some atmosphere and is closest you get to a new Arkham game.

I would only buy it for 10 or wait until its playable on Plus and then ignore it anyway.

stn

I had a fun time but its very average. The only reason I bought it was to play as Red Hood, otherwise I would have ignored it.

SJRB

Gold Member
hillary-clinton.gif

Darak

I had a good time with it despite being obviously inferior to the main Arkham series in all aspects. It helps if you have low expectations. The combat is usually lackluster due to the poor loot system (sometimes you are OP, others every enemy feel like a massive sponge) but sometimes stars align and it becomes fun. The story is ok-ish (except maybe for the way Batman is portrayed) and the Owls are great antagonists for such a game. There are some cool set pieces in a few levels.

You have four characters but you can effectively play the entire game as one of them, making this into a Batgirl or Robin game for example, and in fact the cutscenes work better that way.

The worst thing is the horrible performance. It's a disaster on all platforms, but the console versions in particular must be avoided like the plague.

SCB3

Isn't as bad as people say it is. If you can overlook the 30fps limit, it's a fun game, but can be very repetitive if you intend to platinum it.
And Batgirl is the best main in the game, fight me :messenger_grinning:
Shes broken as fuck thats why

Personally I got it on sale for like £30 last year, its a fun game, its not on par with the Arkham games but honestly not many Superhero games are! Still worth a playthrough imo

I forgot that there was a PS+ Trial. Gave it a go. Combat felt super lackluster without the counter system of Arkham. I think I'll wait for it to be sub-$10 or preferably on PS+.

I played the PC version so I didn’t have the 30fps issue, game runs really well most of the time and just drops to 50 when you drive in the city.

I think it’s a good game that just suffers from the comparison with the Arkham games.

Good:
- story and world building are good, I like that it happens in a post-Batman timeline
- graphics, especially the shadows and lighting
- combat is good, simple but it works. It helps that you can easily change character to break the routine
- flying in the city is kinda fun, each character has a different flight mechanic

Bad:
- the bike absolutely sucks, it’s painfully slow and boring to drive
- side activities are a bit pointless and take you way too often to the same spots
- loot is useless, never understand why games implement loot mechanics and do nothing with those aside from basic stats

For the €15 I spent I had a good time.

I'm playing through it right now, and I really think this captures my thoughts, too. I do think if you go into it expecting it to be Arkham, you'll be really disappointed because it's obvious they are trying to ape its legacy. It's actually a pretty fun game, not as good as the Arkham games, but it's not shit tier. It's playable, combat can be a lot of fun. My biggest gripe is the loot system, I don't mind collecting things to unlock skins and different skin colors, but I hate unnecessary crafting garbage. Should've just made the unlocks a reward for finding collectibles, but I'm guessing the loot system was a by product of trying to make it a GaaS game, and when they switched it to most singleplayer, they had to leave a lot of that junk in.

FWIW, the game is fixed on PC. I am playing it at 1440pUltra on a 5800X3D with 3080 Ti, getting about 120 fps, dips to the low 80s occasionally but basically silky smooth. Zero shader compilation stutter during cutscenes, a noted issue with the original release on PC.

I'm playing through it right now, and I really think this captures my thoughts, too. I do think if you go into it expecting it to be Arkham, you'll be really disappointed because it's obvious they are trying to ape its legacy. It's actually a pretty fun game, not as good as the Arkham games, but it's not shit tier. It's playable, combat can be a lot of fun. My biggest gripe is the loot system, I don't mind collecting things to unlock skins and different skin colors, but I hate unnecessary crafting garbage. Should've just made the unlocks a reward for finding collectibles, but I'm guessing the loot system was a by product of trying to make it a GaaS game, and when they switched it to most singleplayer, they had to leave a lot of that junk in.

FWIW, the game is fixed on PC. I am playing it at 1440pUltra on a 5800X3D with 3080 Ti, getting about 120 fps, dips to the low 80s occasionally but basically silky smooth. Zero shader compilation stutter during cutscenes, a noted issue with the original release on PC.
Yeah, it's not nearly the horrible game that people want to make it out to be, it's just not Arkham. It's a really fun co-op time if you can find people to play with an open mind. I really enjoyed my time with my buddy playing through it and would do it again if they wanted.

Rockondevil

I enjoyed it on Game Pass and it somewhat scratched my Arkham itch.
However I’m glad I played it on game pass as I don’t think I would’ve liked it knowing I’d purchased it.

Certinty

It's not a bad at all.

The sad part is you can still see all the trash the game was meant to be like before somewhat being covered up with what we ended up with.

If the game we ended up getting concept wise was the goal from the beginning this game could have been good, really good.

Lokaum D+

its free on PS+ right now and i just unistalled my PSN from my PS5 afraid that this game would download itself into the system.

so NO

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Got it through PSN+ It's okay, like 7/10. 30fps in the game didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, the frame pacing is good, and the controls are responsive enough.

Combat, traversal, and dialogue all bored me to death. It's not bad but it's mediocre at everything. Instead, I just booted up the Arkham Trilogy for that Batman nostalgia factor.

DaGwaphics

If you have GP or PS+ Essentials the game is on there right now. I might try this one out after Like A Dragon (the last one not the new one, I'm behind, LOL).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tried it on Game Pass. Feels like they simplified the Batman combat down a little. Just didn’t grab me.

I’ll get it when it’s in the eventual Hunbke Choice.

It’s not worth your time. I played it for “free” through PS+/Game Pass and quit about 4-5 hours in out of complete boredom. It’s extremely repetitive and unrewarding to play.

Damn near everything about this is mid except for babs fantastic ass. Movement, story, fighting, voice acting - pure mediocre including the environment. Being at 30 fps really, really hurts the experience on console. I'd really only recommend it if you're looking for (a downgraded) Batman co-op experience, especially on PC.

MiguelItUp

I'd say it isn't. I loved the Arkham series, this game is.... not that in a lot of ways. I tried playing it for about half an hour or so and it just completely lost me. It wasn't entertaining and honestly just felt very boring. It's clearly missing a lot of what made the Arkham games shine and be entertaining.

Krathoon

Does that game still have that problem where the cars spontaneously fling themselves through the air? I have not played in a while.

The physics were pretty janky. I saw a van levitate.

The Girlfriend Reviews episode about it captures how buggy the game was.

Does that game still have that problem where the cars spontaneously fling themselves through the air? I have not played in a while.

The physics were pretty janky. I saw a van levitate.

The Girlfriend Reviews episode about it captures how buggy the game was.

I haven't seen that particular bug, or hit any bugs or crashes for that matter (currently 22 hours in). Seems very stable, at least the latest PC build.

ZoukGalaxy

Absolutely, if someone give you 20$ to play it, it may worth it.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

"Don't miss the pride", vilains can wait, but absolutely not the pride 😹

/s

Last edited:

Krathoon

I found it funny in the Girlfriend Review where they were riding along on the motorcycle and the cars just started flinging around.

The physics just simply broke.

Hot5pur

I got it on release and played in coop on PC, it was very average but enjoyable. For $20 definitely worth it.

Vyse

Gold Member
I picked it up on the cheap. Waiting for the 60 fps patch. Hard to play at 30 fps. I have turned into such a snob.

I picked it up on the cheap. Waiting for the 60 fps patch. Hard to play at 30 fps. I have turned into such a snob.

I don't think a 60 fps patch is going to come for consoles. At this point, they've probably patched it up and moved onto the next project.

Vyse

Gold Member
I don't think a 60 fps patch is going to come for consoles. At this point, they've probably patched it up and moved onto the next project.
That sucks. Guess I’ll play the remaster on Switch 3 in 10 years. Expect it to be 120 fps 360 degrees VR.

ungalo

I had some degree of fun when i played it on Gamepass, but i can't say i recommend it even for 20 dollars.

The structure of the game itself is bad, it's a former GAAS that they tried to remodel. I think the main quest and the 3 main side quests are okay, pretty fun. The number of costumes is very generous and the characters individually suffer the comparison with Batman abilities in AK but still you can tell a lot of work was put into them.

Combat system is different, it adapts better to boss fights for example, but it's less fun against a lot of enemies, infiltration is dumb down especially level design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom