• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is halo making a comeback?

Diddy X

I hope so

I'm not sure if you can change your name tho? what would it be? Halo is Alive? Believe? maybe just a tag?

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope so.
There still isn't anything on consoles that plays like Halo to replace it. Hopefully Infinite delivers.

VertigoOA

Banned
Doubt it.

The marketing may make it seem like it but 343... not possible. They’re trash and a cover band with no talent

Last edited:

Diddy X

Haha it was more of a joke than anything but yea I don't think I can

I totally see it happening, I think I've seen stuff like that happen before on these forums, and it's freakin' Halo we are talking about here, also your name is kinda 'iconic' LOL so something happening to it is expected if the king succesfully makes the dream comeback.

CJY

Banned
Highly doubt it. Halo is going to keep plodding along for another decade most likely, but will never reach the same or similar heights to where it once was.

Fox Mulder

I doubt it. It was huge in its prime. The Bungie years were forever ago now, even Reach was 9 years ago.

Will be hard to climb that mountain again today, but it doesn't seem to be for me anymore under 343.

Last edited:
First Person Shooters are dead. Space ones are extra dead. Games developed by 343 never truly live. Halo is dead. Press F to move on.

ROMhack

Title of the video says it is so what's there to discuss here?

Edit: Your name :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I don’t know what you lot on about but Halo was NEVER dead to me. Yes 4 was shit, 5 brought back the goodness but Halo never died and got my full trust on inifinite

I don’t know what you lot on about but Halo was NEVER dead to me. Yes 4 was shit, 5 brought back the goodness but Halo never died and got my full trust on inifinite
I would have to agree with this. Halo never died, but I do have to say, it's learning curve is rather high which may seems unattractive to new comers.

Graciaus

Unlikely. Unless the new one goes back to the old gameplay style. Otherwise you'll just have a dedicated small community like they have now.

4 and 5 were crap. Mcc was crap for years. I expect another failure. I hope for the best.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Despite the mediocrity of 343's output thus far, I have high hopes for Infinite. I feel like they are going to get it right this time and make something special.

silentstalker

Neo Member
Sure those Halo fans are still forever waiting for that game they wanted for years. But make no mistake, expectations is a tough opponent to beat. I order for Halo to actually make a comeback, it needs to be really good to be able to be noticed in the tough competitive world of shooters.

They already have the brand familiarity. Now they just need to make the game actually worth the wait.

343 have been doing a lot of good things lately. Halo5 is also imo a pretty good MP game with the odd problems here and there sure (like grenade markers that make them little radars), but its a good MP game.

I like what 343 have been doing with MCC lately and that gives me some hope for Halos next game. Also that Bonnie Ross interview also gave me hope. It will definitely be a "make it or break it" scenario for them though. If infinite doesn't do well, i hope they do a big cleanup at 343. But i have to say, i really like what ive heard and seen so far. Unlike before, they seem to be listening to the feedback now.

Grinchy

Banned
Too early to tell. The MCC is coming to PC and we don't know how strong the following will be until it happens. Halo Infinite is some game we know nothing about other than the fact that it has a name and exists. So it's pretty early to predict anything.

First Person Shooters are dead. Space ones are extra dead. Games developed by 343 never truly live. Halo is dead. Press F to move on.
not like PUBG, Apex, Overwatch, Siege, ect arent some of the biggest games (if not THE) right now

Halo could make a comeback but it will definitely have to stray some from its simplistic style. It has a high learning curve and skill gap but so does Overwatch. But overwatch has flare and personality on top of all the different mechanics.

As much as i love the simple, skill based, gameplay of halo, modern gamers require more.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
with 4-18 year old games?

of course!

/s

seriously though. i think MCC will do really well on PC. going forward i can see the Halo series being mainly PC focused. i mean, playing a FPS on controller? haha. nah if it's to be taken seriously it'll be on PC. it will definitely be the best place to play the games. Halo Infinite is kind make or break. It could bring Halo back in a serious way....or it could be yet another disappointment. OP, maybe try making this thread again after Infinite comes out?

Last edited:
As much as i love the simple, skill based, gameplay of halo, modern gamers require more.

The market is big enough for all styles.

And besides: in an over-saturated market, where everyone is always chasing the last trend, it's nice to have something that always stays true to itself (even though 343 still hasn't really understood what makes Halo Halo).

Last edited:

Helios

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

Fox Mulder

4 was shit, I didn't bother with 5 due to changes like no split screen multiplayer/coop, and MCC was broken for years until just now. I have no faith in 343 until they show otherwise. No trailer or interview will convince me until the final product is shown.

Shifty

I mean it'd be nice, particularly now that MS are taking their least-awful run at PC gaming yet.

I kinda fell off after 4 and from what I'm hearing that's not the worst trajectory to have taken...

Haha it was more of a joke than anything but yea I don't think I can
PM a mod and explain the context. Stranger things have happened :messenger_winking:

Halo doesn't need to make a comeback because it never left. The multiplayer in 4 was crappy but the 5 has the best multiplayer of any online fps (console) imo. 5 sold very well, especially considering the low amount of actual x1 console sales. It sounds like 343 is really going to try and get the story right for 6 too. If they keep the multiplayer relatively similar to 5 while creating an amazing story, 6 is going to be amazing game.

Also, my guess is Halo 6 will be a launch title for next gen.

Vasto

Just like the above poster said it never left. I would rather see an actual gameplay video of Halo Infinite over any other game that has been announced for ANY platform.

The Master Chief collection has become a true masterpiece and Halo 5 is one of the best sellers on Xbox One.
https://wccftech.com/npd-top-10-games-sold-ps4-xb1/

Halo is still the King Of Kings.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

To me social media is a good indication of a games legacy and there's been plenty of content and memes around the franchise over the past couple years. Its still very much relevant. It would only take one good game for it to reach Rockstar status like H2/3 again.

Boss Mog

I don't really see how a port of a decade old game, even though it's a fantastic game, is going to revive the franchise. 343 is trash and they will never make a good Halo campaign, they just don't get what made the Bungie games so good. Gears is dead too. It sucks that MS kind of lost its two big franchises from last gen. I went with Sony this gen because the XB1 was underpowered, had forced Kinect and cost 100 bucks more and in hindsight I definitely made the right choice as I feel like I'm not really missing out on the franchises I loved on 360. Except for Forza of course, GT is complete trash.

93xfan

Banned
MCC seems to have tons of players. I hope it is. While Halo 4 MP is trash, Halo 5 is a great MP experience.

Also, why do people keep talking about a good Halo campaign. The multi player is what makes it breaks Halo in the long run.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Bought an S and played the last Halo mp and put it down after a few days. Had never played much of Halo before but it just wasn't for me and felt it was generic as fuck. Didn't even really like the feel. I can see the first entries influencing all the other fps games after and me not being around for that and thus my feeling now after playing so many fps games. The hype has been dying down this gen overall from what I have been seeing.

Last edited:
MCC seems to have tons of players. I hope it is. While Halo 4 MP is trash, Halo 5 is a great MP experience.

Also, why do people keep talking about a good Halo campaign. The multi player is what makes it breaks Halo in the long run.
The campaign brings the nostalgic back. I probably wouldn't buy an MP only Halo.

ethomaz

Banned
Well we need to wait the next game release (2020?)... the last one Halo 5 was not a comeback in anyway.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
we'll see, i'm kinda nervous about halo 3 on pc because the game was so beholden to analog control

IMO they need to add some quality of life changes for pc users, so it doesn't feel like i'm swimming underwater

still hyped as fuck to play one of the greatest competitive shooters ever

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo to me still distinguishes itself from the rest of the FPS crowd.

We’ve seen a lot of shooters come and go but none can operate like Halo (Gun mechanics, 343’s story vision etc.) Halo 5’s sparkplug is clearly its scale and now you can still continue the story, and jumpstart next gens Xbox.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Will we get that Halo 2-3 feeling ever again? I honestly don't think its possible. I do however think we will we get a larger experience with lots of hype. The amazing multiplayer could return. I think the burnout from all of it was expected. All the Halo Pro's I remember retired. Sure there's the next gen of Halo players, but that initial sprint to Halo played MLG style is kinda gone. Making montages of sniper kills and 3 to 4 hit headshots a thing of the past.

As far as the plot is concerned. The plot makes sense, but we're way past the whole "Master Chief is trying to take down Halo and the Covenant". At some point he did and now we're thinking about Cortana more and more. What's so exicitng now?
shutting Cortana down for good or saving her?

I really enjoyed the multiplayer in Halo 5. I just took a very long break from it.

Barakov

Well the MCC is coming to a platform people like to use(PC) so there's some optimism there. For it to fully happen they need to hit it out of the park with Infinite.

Top Bottom