• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is is unreasonable to complain about the new Zelda's textures?

ShinMaruku

So while the main complaint everyone seems to have about the new Zelda is its overworld (I for one, will be cautiously optimistic), my biggest grievance was some rather poor quality texture work, mainly on the rocks.

Poor ground textures plagued Twilight Princess, which was an otherwise pretty dang good looking game. But I was willing to give that a pass since it was on gamecube hardware. But with this new Zelda? It's got twice the amount of RAM than either the 360 or PS3 and with a pretty rocking GPU. As such there should be no excuses. We should be at a point in gaming where blurry textures were a thing of the past.

Compare it to Kameo where the rocks were not only not low quality, but had some absolutely kickass parallax mapping. And that was done on weaker hardware than the Wii-U.

Thoughts?

Not only is it unreasonable due to context but the fact that it's so early and you are complaining now for somethign that's defined by art style more than texture work I will not only say you are unreasonable but you are hasty. But Hey they give so little info.

I know people are going to get all indignant, and I'm glad it's 60fps, but it's extremely clear to see where they had to cut corners due to Wii U.

So bad example.

Were you complaining about brawls graphics?

Fox doesnt look like shit anymore thankfully :p

And your post is kinda stupid anyway. This is a 1080p game with a ton of shit going on the screen at 60fps with 8 characters on screen at a given time. The game looks as good as Namco could do with the time they had.

I mean that's the title, but if you read the OP itself it's all about analysis of the texture work. And then tons of people in this thread not only try to shame people into silence, but try to act like people should somehow feel bad or embarrassed for having different priorities than they do.

If others don't care about that stuff, fine. Nobody is asking them to. I don't think people who think that way are wrong at all, it's just another unique perspective on what's important in games. And I want all these perspectives shared, not told they're being judged or tried to paint as if they're insane for thinking this way.

Everyone knows this is early footage. Everyone who complains understands this is almost certainly not going to be what it looks like in its final form. But it's better to complain while something still appears to be an issue than after; because then it's folded into an evaluation of how good the game is or not, whereas here it could potentially be picked up by people who are listening (as has happened before) and maybe focus a little extra improvement there before it even releases. Not that I think this is a likely case for that, of course, but it doesn't change the merit of the complaint.

I think the point those people are trying to make is its hard to discern any semblance of quality from this type of footage. As any of the rock textures and the like look like the stuff that was in the first trailer.

People were criticizing the graphics in that trailer at some points too ( mostly to do with links texturing)

Yes, it was a serious question, but judging from your posting style in this thread (calling people a bitch) I am not sure I want an answer from you...

Anyway, I guess my question is, how easy is it to stream high resolution textures on the U? Bringing up the old NFS:MW example, I guess it can be done... Even though it can be argued how "high res" the textures in this game really are.

Did I call anybody a bitch? I certainly didnt. I simply noted that complaining too much gets you the moniker of "punk ass bitch" by the republiqué

iGeodude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW1fu4DBMoU
At that point, the game was 1.5 years away and the textures didn't improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgrMz_XBI
At that point, Skyward Sword was 1.5 years away from release. Did the graphics improve? Not noticeably.

If the last 3 Zelda console games are any indication, then it's that this year's footage provides a good hint at what the final game will look like.

If anything these videos show that the Zelda series has never been about cutting edge graphics. As long as Zelda U has a good story and fun gameplay, who cares if it doesn't look like COD: Advanced Warfare? Graphics don't make the game, gameplay does. Graphics just complement the gameplay. Am I saying that developers shouldn't focus on graphics? No, I'm not, I'm just saying that graphics shouldn't be the be all and end all. Years from now no one is going to care what some texture on a rock looks like, they'll be talking about about how hard some dungeon was or how amazing some boss fight was. Pretty graphics are just the icing on the cake.

zelda games are not known for graphics power, wiiu is not the most powerful thing. Yet i believe the game as always is the case will be beautiful.That is all that matters. I have to find ugly zelda game. I could play oot today for days no problems. the world and the game is just alive.

DonMigs85

Technically the Xbox 360 and even PS3 GPUs have a higher texel fillrate than Wii U (since Wii U's GPU has a 1:1 ratio of ROPs and texture mapping units, meaning 8 ROPs and 8 TMUs). Plus if Wii U really only has 160 SPs then its GFLOPS is even a bit less than the two older consoles. What saves it is the greater amount of memory and the slightly higher pixel fillrate.

Zelda issues with wall/ground textures go all the way back to Twilight Princess. I think that the Nintendo won't spend too much time on making photo realistic rock textures and some areas will look bad. But the style they're using will make the game look beautiful anyway.

Lernaean

Banned
In reality you can't really tell the textures from streaming, overexposed, off-screen footage, covering just 1/4 of the screen. I certainly couldn't, although i just think they have that painted style from the reveal, that borrows itself from SS painting style.
What is more important though is that most of the things we saw are placeholders and within a year a lot might change.
Nintendo, especially this gen has not disappoined with the quality of their final products, and i can bet my weewee that they won't this time either.

Tadpole

In all likelihood, this game won't be out for another 10-12 months. It's unreasonable to complain about pretty much anything. If this was E3 2015, then you could panic.

Hiltz

Aonuma: Miyamoto, listen to this letter we got from one of our fans about our new Zelda game for Wii U. This boy says our new Zelda games look like Japanese graphical shit. Your games features muddy textures, jaggies, low polygon character models, and the same damn trees are in every environment. I am displeased with your effort. I wanted this Zelda game to be dark and mature too, but that is not what you promised, this looks nothing like the Zelda tech demo.

Myamoto: Haha! Zelda games no bout graphics, stupid boy.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Aonuma: Miyamoto, listen to this letter we got from one of our fans about our new Zelda game for Wii U. This boy says our new Zelda games look like Japanese graphical shit. Your games features muddy textures, jaggies, low polygon character models, and the same damn trees are in every environment. I am displeased with your effort. I wanted this Zelda game to be dark and mature too, but that is not what you promised, this looks nothing like the Zelda tech demo.

Myamoto: let's cancel it.

Edit

Top Bottom