• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is is unreasonable to complain about the new Zelda's textures?

Nor really, it's your opinion. Aonuma has already said that the game looks better than it did at E3, so we should take his word for it until the game is released.

As for the gameplay footage, it's clearly unfinished and it's on a TV, not direct feed.

Also, what kind of expectations are we supposed to have for an open world game on the Wii U? As big as Xenoblade Chronicles X is, the game is not a looker.

So yeah, it's not unreasonable for you to complain about the textures, but I think you're expecting too much.

For it to look better than Lego City Undercover and the other open world games on WIi U :p

Zelda U already looks better than this

xenoblade_x_scr_03.jpg

xenoblade_x_scr_05.jpg

xenoblade_x_scr_02.jpg

Trago

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;142310818 said:
??? Have we been looking at the same game?

Art direction aside, this game is not technically impressive. And I'm not expecting it to be. Again, open world game, on the Wii U. There's only so much they can do.

Zalman

People need to relax. The game is almost a full year away. There's a reason why they didn't show full screen footage.

Art direction aside, this game is not technically impressive. And I'm not expecting it to be. Again, open world game, on the Wii U. There's only so much they can do.

Im not quite sure you know what technically impressive is supposed to mean. Im surprised the game looks as good as it does. Xenoblade X is 5 times the size of Japan. Im not even certain Zelda U is as big as Xenoblade on the Wii is.

Xenoblade is low res but the game is fucking gorgeous in motion . What they did on the Wii was amazing. That was a technical feat. I preferred the art direction for Xenoblade anyway. Brighter colors. This is much more muted, besides when weather effects are working off the flowers.God I wish Nintendo would release Xenoblade in HD with the Last Story(gamepad controls and framerate increase) and Pandora's Tower (Wii Motion + Support added)

Sure the texture quality isnt as good as say FF15 looks close up, but we all know that FF15's visual fall apart when you bring the camera out and you see all the pop in and the low draw distance ( which doesnt look that nice in the backgrounds. Reminds me of how things loaded in Xenoblade on the Wii actually, but at least that happened to be the same color as the textures right next to them. With FF15 the color in the backgrounds is all screwed up)

So I wouldnt say that's technically impressive either. Because its not. The engine doesnt run well.

The Witcher 3 is technically impressive. Thats a game that merges great art with new tech.

Alienous

Uncharted 4 is a full year away. MGSV footage from E3 is likely "full year away" footage.

Aounuma talking up the graphics in interviews shortly before they were shown at the TGAs have done him no favours. A simple "Please remember guys this footage is from an earlier build of the game, and the graphics have improved since" disclaimer at the beginning of the demo would have deflected any complaints. But it seems like Zelda Wii U, bad textures and all, are the graphics that Aounuma was talking up not to long ago.

Uncharted 4 is a full year away. MGSV footage from E3 is likely "full year away" footage.

Yeah, but people arent having meltdowns over Uncharted 4 not looking as mind blowing as people expected right? Or are they ?

Aounuma talking up the graphics in interviews shortly before they were shown at the TGAs have done him no favours. A simple "Please remember guys this footage is from an earlier build of the game, and the graphics have improved since" disclaimer at the beginning of the demo would have deflected any complaints. But it seems like Zelda Wii U, bad textures and all, are the graphics that Aounuma was talking up not to long ago.

You know they wouldnt have shown the game then. :p

iGeodude

I also didn't like the texture work in the second game they showed.

gcluej.jpg

I zoomed and enhanced the footage for you. Just look at this shit.

twqovd.jpg

The ground textures are PS2-level crap. Embarrassing. Somebody should start a Twitter tag.

Man, what game is that? It does look like crap.

Mr_Moogle

Honestly at this stage of development I wouldn't worry about.

Besides, there's no way this game releases in 2015. Nintendo like to tell us what we wan't to hear but this game will most likely be delayed. Nearly all major Zelda releases get delayed.

I also didn't like the texture work in the second game they showed.

gcluej.jpg

I zoomed and enhanced the footage for you. Just look at this shit.

twqovd.jpg

The ground textures are PS2-level crap. Embarrassing. Somebody should start a Twitter tag.

Somebody, somewhere, is having a meltdown over this post.

They probably assumed that people would have at least a passing knowledge of how these things work. They should've taken the more cynical route like Naughty Dog and, instead of showing gameplay, a cutscene of Link's face tailored specifically to look as good as possible. Though even NG got too optimistic and now has people whining about their gameplay trailer.

Dunkley

It really didn't look finished by any means, so I'd reserve my judgement until the game is actually nearing gold.

What they should have done instead, because people...apperently...don't understand how game development works and will jump through hoops to shit on a literally unfinished game and compare low quality YouTube grabs to directly captured GTAV shots:

Don't show it at all.

Their honesty has bitten them in the ass. This is precisely why Yves Guillemot fools you with open contempt and bullshit lie trailers.

Edit: The same for Uncharted 4, thats a year away too.

What they should have done instead, because people...apperently...don't understand how game development works and will jump through hoops to shit on a literally unfinished game and compare low quality YouTube grabs to directly captured GTAV shots:

Don't show it at all.

Their honesty has bitten them in the ass. This is precisely why Yves Guillemot fools you with open contempt and bullshit lie trailers.

Its only temporary really. We internet posters just have to deal with the bullshit till we get the 3D world trailer. Or you know the game comes out and everyone gets served steaming pile of crow.

You'd think they'd learn by now but well they dont.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, it's fully reasonable to complain about everything. Like the endless Pikmin 3 complains before the release. Which is still one of the most gorgeous games on Wii U.

Vishnu

Wait are we complaining about a game that is around a year from release?

If so....yeah fuck em!
I dunno why, just wanna join the bandwagon.....

Yeah, it's fine if people complain, and I hope those opinions get back to Nintendo. If everyone just said "It looks great! Don't change a thing!" then they might not fix anything. But the people who say "This game will absolutely look this bad at release a year from now" are just pointlessly trolling.

red731

I think it is unreasonable, yes.

DF should go on and do Face-Offs from unoptimized unfinished pre-alphas it seems.

OmegaDL50

You guys have to be kidding me. You are freaking out over the texture quality in an upscaled image taken from a compressed YouTube video showing gameplay footage on an angled TV occupying roughly 20% of the video's area?

Well I'm glad someone addressed this.

megasus

Anyone else noticed that the character and models didn't really fit into the world?
My impression was that the terrain itself simply wasn't cel-shaded enough, that would also hide some muddy textures.

Who knows, maybe it wasn't enabled in this demo build, considering the E3 visuals looked slightly different.

People can criticise whatever they want. Personally, I think some people care way too much about friggin rocks in a clearly unfinished area of a game that's a year away from release. And low-quality off screen footage of aforementioned rocks, no less. Hell we don't what what build this is, or when the footage was even recorded.

There's nothing wrong with saying "hey, these textures look shit". What is unreasonable is some of the absurd judgements some people have made about the final carnation of this game, which doesn't even exist yet.

Like, there are plenty of legitimate concerns to have about the game, but people instead dwell on this. GAF does make me laugh sometimes.

Good lord. Now I know why companies show all-CGI trailers.

It's at least a year away. If it looks terrible then, complain all you want. Most everyone will join you. Until then, just make a mental note of it.

You guys have to be kidding me. You are freaking out over the texture quality in an upscaled image taken from a compressed YouTube video showing gameplay footage on an angled TV occupying roughly 20% of the video's area?

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

Yeah, it's fine if people complain, and I hope those opinions get back to Nintendo. If everyone just said "It looks great! Don't change a thing!" then they might not fix anything. But the people who say "This game will absolutely look this bad at release a year from now" are just pointlessly trolling.

We dont even know what the game fucking looks like man

Developers are people. If something looks bad they fucking know it. They dont need a bunch of people sending them a bunch of messages.

Anyone else noticed that the character and models didn't really fit into the world?
My impression was that the terrain itself simply wasn't cel-shaded enough, that would also hide some muddy textures.

Who knows, maybe it wasn't enabled in this demo build, considering the E3 visuals looked slightly different.

Nobody has the faintest idea what you''re reffering too. they couldnt see anything over the sunset's bloom

One other thing I scoffed at was a comment about being in "thick woodlands" and there were about three trees on screen. The textures were pretty horrible but I thought it was just me.

patientx

If they have to lower texture quality -that is IF because we haven't seen the latest form yet- to achieve 60 fps in an open world zelda game than so be it. That's my opinion.

If they have to lower texture quality -that is IF because we haven't seen the latest form yet- to achieve 60 fps in an open world zelda game than so be it. That's my opinion.

I'm 90% positive that this game will be 30 fps. I can't imagine it being anything else than that.

wsippel

Banned
You don't know what "technically impressive" means. High resolution textures and detailed models are not technically impressive. Working around limitations is.

orioto

Good Art™
I've always thought... i just hope they are not doing that particular Zelda one hardware too early. With the ambition it's clearly going to be hard avoiding some horrible things.

KooopaKid

Banned
Yes and no :)
Yes, because the game is still in development and one year away.
And no because we can still point out things looking weird.
For instance, RDR was first shown 6 months before release and nothing looked off.
Zelda is 12 months before release but with the dungeons probably taking a lot of time to make, we can be sceptical about if they'll managed to fix smaller details like rock textures (Particularly the connection between grass and rock at the bottom of a cliff (looks flat and unnatural) and the trees being too similar looking and separated by the exact same distance)

Shiggy

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously it's reasonable.

Low textures are going to ruin the game entirely and make it bad, so they better fix it, or else.

Seriously? You discuss the quality of textures from a gameplay video which was miles away from the camera? In my opinion this is absolutely pointless ;)

Top Bottom