• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is is unreasonable to complain about the new Zelda's textures?

Madness

No, the only time it will be unreasonable is expecting PS4/Xbox One quality graphics out of Wii U and criticizing games for that. But calling out the usual Nintendo smoke and mirrors which takes the attention away from glaring deficits is not unreasonable.

After seeing games like Sunset, Infamous, The Witcher 3, GTA V next gen, it's not possible for Nintendo to match that kind of visual fidelity.

The footage didn't show up only what was in the front of the sun...what kind of claim is that.

Even when the view was expanded to large parts of terrain, that effect was missing, even when clouds were clearly present in the sky, look the gif of the e3 reveal, the shadows can be seen in the landscape, even in the mountains far away....
This whole E3 scene is scripted as hell, but it uses ingame assetts.

If you look closer at the new demo:
The grass looks like in the E3 demo (and it also moves, but there isn't as much wind as in the E3 demo), there are flowers (but you usually don't see them because of the bad image quality), the colors are quite the same after a bit of color-correction, there are insects (as said by Miyamoto), etc.

I see no reason why there shouldn't be cloud movements, the only thing that isn't represented from the E3 demo. And I doubt that the fog is going to destroy the framerate, so no reason why it shouldn't be included either.

No it dosn't sorry to pop your bubble.

And effects like cloud shadows moving over the terrain and the lack of fog.
Yes it does sorry to pop your bubble.

You talking about stuff that is enviornmental and can change upon where you are in the game, the time of day, weather..smh lol

It looks the same move along bruh..

This whole E3 scene is scripted as hell, but it uses ingame assetts.

If you look closer at the new demo:
The grass looks like in the E3 demo (and it also moves, but there isn't as much wind as in the E3 demo), there are flowers (but you usually don't see them because of the bad image quality), the colors are quite the same after a bit of color-correction, there are insects (as said by Miyamoto), etc.

I see no reason why there shouldn't be cloud movements, the only thing that isn't represented from the E3 demo. And I doubt that the fog is going to destroy the framerate, so no reason why it shouldn't be included either.

I'd say the E3 version is clearly in-engine, but I feel it's not a real representation of how the game looks, and certainly the new footage proves it. I'm not saying it looks bad, the contrary, but certainly not as good as the E3 one.

If it ends looking as well, that's for the better, but I feel people are assuming so very easily.

iirc didnt Nintendo say they always save graphical polish for the end of development? I mean its pretty evident when most of the games we see from them look nothing like their original debut footage. So basically, dont worry about it.

Yes it does sorry to pop your bubble.

You talking about stuff that is enviornmental and can change upon where you are in the game, the time of day, weather..smh lol

It looks the same move along bruh..

No it dosn't:

Zelda.png

Textures just dosn't look as good at this point. Face it, it might change in final version, but no need to negate it at this point.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It does look very.... plain and the rocks are shiny in a way that... doesn't just blend into the artstyle IMO. BUT, I love the grass and the real-time lighting does look good in this one snippet. The part where link was standing at the top of that cliff though... eh, not so pretty.

Not ugly and sure would look better if it wasn't off-screen with that blue-tint.

You know what this reminds me of? The forest, that Early-access Steam game. Congrats Nintendo, you've made an indie game!

Zelda.png

this one looks plain bad IMO. Probably even worse than TP in this one screenshot. Terrible object draw distance and awful textures everywhere. Looks like Drakan The Ancient's Gates for PS2.

You guys have to be kidding me. You are freaking out over the texture quality in an upscaled image taken from a compressed YouTube video showing gameplay footage on an angled TV occupying roughly 20% of the video's area?

votztu.gif

RagnarokX

The texture work clearly isn't finished yet. I mean, look at the bridge over lake hylia:
j2IGNEgKYP5Gk.jpg

The tower appears to be using the same texture as the rocky ground.

The Boat

You guys have to be kidding me. You are freaking out over the texture quality in an upscaled image taken from a compressed YouTube video showing gameplay footage on an angled TV occupying roughly 20% of the video's area?

votztu.gif

/edit: Dat stealth edit to the rescue. :p

This gif is incredible.

No it dosn't:

Zelda.png

Textures just dosn't look as good at this point. Face it, it might change in final version, but no need to negate it at this point.
But it does look at the rocky textures in the e3 and in this offscreen thing. Especially the ones far out. Look exactly the same.. Of course a smaller rock will look better with the textures but the huge ones in the back look the same. Even the boulder in the e3 one look suspect. I dont see what in particular is sooo different. Like you tryna fight the power or somethin

Pizza

Nah, op, you're fine. When not in motion the ground looks pretty crappy atm, especially where the hills and ground meet. That said, they have another 8 or so months of development at least, and they could have even been using an older, but more stable, build. I think it's too early to start saying the final product will look poor, but atm it still looks like it's a work in progress

Shiggy

Zelda games have had a long history with poor texture work.You should see it as a feature. Thank goodness we'll never have to face as poor textures as in Twilight Princess (hopefully).

With the Zelda team working on this game, I have little hope that textures will be improved for the final version.

jimi_dini

Thoughts?

I totally agree with you OP.

I mean just look at this mess:
1Ojeezr.jpg

322x182? I mean seriously? That's just a few more pixels than games on the Nintendo DS. The resolution is inexcusable.

It even looks as if it was perspective-corrected or something like that. Why would they do this?

I think it's sensible to say that right now the textures suck, but hope they improve over time. It's also not a bad idea to actually say this is a possible issue, just so Nintendo knows that the textures aren't okay the way they're right now.

Still, I'm sure they're going to update them, maybe before E3.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The textures may or may not end up being mediocre, but actually stressing over it is a bad move at this stage based on low resolution, smeary streaming video of off-screen footage. Poor video quality makes everything look washed out and crushes detail.

Akhe

votztu.gif
I'm laughing so hard right now with this gif!!

Thoraxes

After seeing people complain about the textures in Uncharted 4 and this game, I think some people criticize their hobby a whole lot more than I do. I don't do it because I don't particularly find it fulfilling and get zero enjoyment from caring about that stuff, but I guess some people get off to that kind of thing and like to make sure the internet knows they don't like the ground textures.

To each their own.

Ryoku

zelda_wii_u_open_world_2560x1600.jpg

Theydont look that bad to me.
Also 1GB of RAM isnt much for everything, Wii U is (unfortunately)not a magical machine that will fix everything with ultra HD textures.

I feel like some of the ground textures are akin to the way the sky looks in this picture, and because it's off-screen footage, it looks blurry as hell. However, this is just an assumption and it may very well be a low-resolution texture (and there's some obvious stretching as well on some textures). Either way, we can only hope it gets improved, as it is still in development. It's reasonable to worry about it, but to complain about it at this stage of its development is a bit much.

Lunar15

There was a bridge that used the rock textures from the ground. Clearly they're in development still.

I'm not saying the textures are going to be incredible, but let's wait a bit and see.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I also didn't like the texture work in the second game they showed.

gcluej.jpg

I zoomed and enhanced the footage for you. Just look at this shit.

twqovd.jpg

The ground textures are PS2-level crap. Embarrassing. Somebody should start a Twitter tag.

First, its the Wii U, 1 GB of RAM is not much for everything in the game.

then, i dont know why you came to that conclusion after low quality off screen footage. :/
i thought the rock textures were the best shown,wait for a trailer, at least.

There's an unallocated amount of ram not being used. What if this will be the first title to use it?

Personally that video shouldn't be used to judge textures.

Painguy

Small screen space + low bitrate youtube video + offscreen = blurry image with little to no details.

Hell at certain parts the grass just seemed like a flat green terrain because of the low bitrate blurring it so badly so trying to judge texture detail is silly.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Considering that we don't even have footage of the game that's shown without someone talking over it, hell yes it's unreasonable.

fart town usa

Gold Member
lol @ the screenshot analysts here.

My god, relax people.

Game looks incredibly promising.

Considering how many people claim ALBW and Skyward Sword trump all prior Zelda games, I feel there is valid reason to question the tastes of some Zelda fans here...

oh yea.

Maebe

I thought it looked bad, but I'll wait and see how it turns out later down the road when they are actually further along in development to complain or not about it. They don't look ready yet.

CNCOMICS

tighten_up_those_graphics.jpg

Gotta tighten up those graphics on Level 3.

But yes, I think it's unreasonable to complain about textures on an unfinished game. So far, I like what I've seen, but I have to reserve judgement for when Nintendo decides to put up a direct feed of gameplay, not this off-screen stuff.

hmm, could be...
saying its 2014 doesnt make sense when we are talking about hardware limitations though, Wii U its what it is, like 3DS, or Xbox One, i have seen those comments before, but regardless of anything, the game will have low resolution textures.
now, i remember what you said, but it was offscreen and very blurry, it could be that those parts are few and far between, lets hope

Edit. you know, im expecting the game to have bad textures anyway, in the same way X and Pikmin 3 have, but with art direction that hides it a little, i will have to check that video again, if they are truly that bad.

X doesnt have low res textures. Pikmin 3 is based off a Wii game.

Astral Dog

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;142280443 said:
X doesnt have low res textures. Pikmin 3 is based off a Wii game.
I dont think this is something they will fix, the game is very demanding, "open world", the only game similar in scope on wii u is Xenoblade
You really think X looks better? i think its too early to say, without a proper trailer, but this easily could be a hardware limitation.

It looked absurdly rough but then again the game is nowhere close to finished. Once release gets near we can talk shit textures, but for now it's alpha footage.

MisterHero

I would be happy if it looked like an N64 game. OoT is still perfect.

If you want real rocks go outside and look at some. Then play your videogames when you get bored 5 minutes later.

You people analyze graphics like you're looking at the Zapruder film. Do you actually do this when you're playing a game, or just before the game releases? I can't imagine that details like this impact your enjoyment of a game, but it must since graphics threads are the biggest threads besides sales threads.

You people analyze graphics like you're looking at the Zapruder film. Do you actually do this when you're playing a game, or just before the game releases? I can't imagine that details like this impact your enjoyment of a game, but it must since graphics threads are the biggest threads besides sales threads.
Smh... Aint that shit crazy?

Tomohawk

I remember a dude on some board getting shit on for saying the trees in skyward sword looked bad when it was released. Most people said that they would fix it and he was being unreasonable and when the game was released they still look terrible.

Top Bottom