• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it common to make big multi-topping sandwiches in the US?

Tubobutts

What, so the cooking method determines the sandwichness of the thing now?

No, it's either full sandwich or no sandwich. Chicken, cheese, bacon, sauce.

It has no bread it's not a sandwich. I am willing to consider breading to be bread. Unbreaded chicken is not bread.

Normal for me.

My sandwiches consist of 2 ham, 2 turkey, tomato, spinach, hummus, harvartii cheese, slices of roasted red peppers. When I have everything at least. I usually only eat half a sandwich at a time though.

Hmm...I'm seeing the problem:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich

b is definitely not considered a "sandwich" in the US

Well, it is, but you have to specify open face.

When I think of sandwich, I don't think of breakfast. It's usually for lunch. I'd rather not have any bread during breakfast unless it's crispy toast.

I think of sandwiches for breakfast, but those are like... breakfast sandwiches. They've got eggs and bacon and stuff on them.

sphagnum

Banned
No wonder you don't think a sandwich would be filling when you slap some cheese on one piece of bread and call it a sandwich.

Grym

Can you honestly say you have never seen cheese on toast before?

yes.

I've had cheesy garlic bread
cheesy-garlic-bread-3.jpg

I've had grilled cheese
20100428-grilledcheese-500.jpg

I've never had a piece of toast topped with cheese

Well, it is, but you have to specify open face.

yeah true

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I think was OP was trying to say is that, in European countries, most of the home breakfasts contain of bread, some sort of spread (butter, cream cheese, etc) and things like, meat, cheese, or Pâté. It doesn't get topped with another piece of bread either.

I don't think the OP is poor, it's just the standard breakfast items in some European countries.

Alucrid

Banned
I think was OP was trying to say is that, in European countries, most of the home breakfasts contain of bread, some sort of spread (butter, cream cheese, etc) and things like, meat, cheese, or Pâté. It doesn't get topped with another piece of bread either.

I don't think the OP is poor, it's just the standard breakfast items in some European countries.
We also have open faced sandwiches

yes.

I've had cheesy garlic bread
cheesy-garlic-bread-3.jpg

I've had grilled cheese
20100428-grilledcheese-500.jpg

I've never had a piece of toast topped with cheese

I'm with this guy. I've never seen a piece of bread with cheese on top and it just being eaten like that. I'm not opposed to the idea as I like bread and cheese makes just about everything taste better, but it isn't something I've seen done before.

Also, as an American, this is what I think of when I think of an open faced sandwich:

openfacedroastbeefsandwich.jpg

marrec

Banned
Europe eating those struggle sandwiches. Live it up, you guys.

They don't have enough food to put on their bread so their sandwiches evolved differently than ours. Hell, they don't even have tops sometimes it seems!

Meanwhile, in Pittsburgh:

V9ITOSP.jpg

It has no bread it's not a sandwich. I am willing to consider breading to be bread. Unbreaded chicken is not bread.

Breaded chicken isn't bread! It's chicken, thus the use of "breaded" as an adjective, not a noun.

KFC calls it a sandwich, it's a sandwich. It doesn't have bread, but a sandwich it remains.

Add some cucumber or pepper slices to that cheese bread and it's a basic breakfast. Maybe a slice of ham or salami if you're feeling adventurous. Only here in Finland that bread would be dark rye sort.

~OnlyNordicThings~

Guevara

In America I'd say a typical deli sandwich comes with at least 7-8 toppings.

1. Meat
  2. 50% chance there's a second meat
  3. Cheese
  4. Lettuce
  5. Tomato
  6. Mayo and/or mustard, often both
  7. 50% chance there's a second or even third sauce too
  8. Onions and/or pickles, often both. Maybe even some kind of hot or sweet pepper.
  9. If you are in California, good chance it comes with sprouts and/or avocado
If anything, you might ask them to hold a few.

10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SWEDISH FOOD

shrimp_sammieweb.jpg

Sweden.se said:
#4 Räksmörgås and other open sandwiches

When you order a sandwich, don’t be surprised if it involves just a single slice of bread, the typical Swedish smörgås. The Swedish concept of open sandwiches dates back to the 1400s when thick slabs of bread were used as plates. In Sweden, the shrimp sandwich (räksmörgås or räkmacka) remains the option fit for a king. Piled high with a mix of boiled egg slices, lettuce, tomato and cucumber, this seafood snack is often topped with creamy romsås – crème fraîche blended with dill sprigs and roe. Shrimp sandwiches are such an integral part of Swedish culture, they have inspired a popular saying: ‘glida in på en räkmacka’ (literally ‘glide in on a shrimp sandwich,’ but roughly corresponding to the expression ‘get a free ride’), meaning to get an advantage without having done anything to deserve it.

Maybe if you guys stopped freeloading you could afford some plates.

styl3s

To Americans that isn't a sandwich at all. We might consider that an open-faced sandwich I guess, aka a sandwich that's missing the top piece of bread.

This is a fucking sandwich a ( a reuben):

4.jpeg
I had one of these from Jason Deli for lunch yesterday. (not my picture)

Love a good Reuben or really any kind of corned beef or pastrami sammich.

Fat4all

Banned
You guys are doing the whole "butter and cheese" thing wrong.

Butter goes outside the sandwich, then you grill it for a bit on both sides until golden brown.

Boom, best sandwich.

Sandwiches are by default a lunch food in the US, and are made big enough to be a meal in and of themselves. A sandwich as a side dish alongside a bowl of cereal here is not something i've ever heard of here. The only way I can imagine that happening is if a college kid were just throwing together whatever food they happened to have on-hand. It just feels like throwing together two ultra-random food items.

"breakfast sandwiches" are typically only seen as fast food breakfast or restaurant brunch items with items like eggs and/or sausage in them.

i guess we do sometimes have high-quality bread and cheese together with no other sandwich fixings but it's like, as an appetizer or a party snack.

and it's so hilarious that everybody is misspelling "Gluttonous" with "gluten" embedded in the word in a thread about bread-related dishes that i almost wonder if it started on purpose.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That's not really true, they are often served with fries, potato chips, or other sides.

I mean at home.

I've never seen anyone make a sandwhich and then get a cereal or something like on that picture the OP posted.

Sandwiches to him seem to be very small side dishes.

jax

Banned
because only Americans have those mouths that can stretch open 2ft like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

It's weird cause I was eating a piece of toast with butter and nutch just a moment ago

styl3s

Lunch is the light meal between breakfast and dinner for Americans. Also sandwiches need meat or they aren't real.
cucumber sandwich and veggie sandwiches are very much real and very much delicious.

Although, i prefer the cucumber sandwich being on a bagel instead of sandwich bread.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Ameica has no cheese sandwiches because they don't really have cheese.

Provolone, mozzarella, cheddar, Munster, Gouda, and others aren't cheese? Those are just the standard non-fancy choices.

I love me some Mimolette.

Tubobutts

Breaded chicken isn't bread! It's chicken, thus the use of "breaded" as an adjective, not a noun.

KFC calls it a sandwich, it's a sandwich. It doesn't have bread, but a sandwich it remains.

I didn't say I'm happy about calling breaded chicken bread, I just said I'll accept it.

Anybody can call anything a sandwich. Maybe you want to live in that crazy world of sandwich anarchy, but I don't.

Top Bottom