• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it still ok to purchase 1080p TV's or should I go 4K?

Coxy100

Banned
Depending on how far you sit away from the TV of course it's ok. I sit 10 feet away so unless I get a super size one I won't even see the difference between 1080p/4K

Also if you get a 1080p one - get one from the 2015 range - they were much better than ones released this year

I am not upgrading from my plasma due to reduced lag. With all the fighting games I play, I'm waiting for oled to become affordable first. I say ride it out. So many regular people still buy dvds. Wait for content and the features to standardize. Wait or a true hdr standard wait for 4k to be full 60 fps on mid ranged HDMI ports. Wait for oled to fix the dying color problems. Unless you enjoy being starved for content. Compressed streaming is nowhere near as good as an uncompressed blu ray. But being in that infancy stage can be a sweet ride unto itself.

Moongazer

If you want a hdtv with decent to good image quality you'll have to get a 4k set anyways. Most of the 1080p sets now are fairly low end and bottom of the barrel sadly as tv manufacturers are pushing 4k very heavily. If you really want a 1080p tv I would try to find one from a few years back when manufacturers were still making decent sets. Otherwise just get a decently priced 4k set within your budget.

BibiMaghoo

I have no 4k content, but it makes no sense to buy an outdated panel when it will be around for many years. I grabbed a 4K TV on friday. It was worth it.

coopolon

At this size 4k is barely (or not all) noticeable. Hdr is but it doesn't sound like you want to pay that much (there some good deals on ks8000 right now, 50 inch for around $800?)

Edit: actually there's really not any good 1080 televisions being made anymore. 4k is really only your option, even though at this size and at normal.viewing distances you'll be hard pressed to notice.

Get hdr if you can, that Hisense seems great. Yes, in a year it probably won't support the hdr standard but there will probably be some backwards support.

Alej

Banned
4K is amazing. In terms of gaming, it's a jump bigger than SD/HD to me. The IQ gain is insane.

Then, there's HDR.

Koren

Edit: actually there's really not any good 1080 televisions being made anymore. 4k is really only your option, even though at this size and at normal.viewing distances you'll be hard pressed to notice.
That's the main issue... Whether you prefer or not 4k, you won't find high-quality 1080p sets anymore.

The benefits of 4k is debatable, but it has a drawback: it raised input lag, most probably because they needed to compute more data. We start to see sub-20ms sets again from Samsung, though. HDR made it worse (although I think HDR gives a far more obvious increase in image quality).

As long as HDR still keep the input lag high, and there's no clear standard for it, I hope I won't have to change my set...

ps3ud0

Right now Id still be tempted by a high quality 1080p screen and theres a small chance with Rec. 2100 that you could maybe see a rare few top end 1080p sets with HDR enabled.

With UHD I still think theres plenty of time to change and it feels like the wild west of standards. Definitely seems an elongated period with how poor ubiquitous 1080p content still is...

Id feel more of a muppet buying a decent set now (like older UHDTV owners) and having to replace it because it doesnt support a particular feature (like HLG HDR) sooner than later.

Being an early adopter just always seems to suck really

ps3ud0 8)

Melchiah

You can already get a 4K 20-30 ms for cheap now. The KS8000 for example.

You guys keeps on saying to wait for a newer or better 4K technology. It ain't going to be cheap once it's out, then you guys will again say wait for that price to drop 😂.

With HDR? If so, that's pretty good. It's shame though, that the sub-10ms displays seem to be a thing of the past, on the 1080p side as well.

I'm going to move to 4K at some point, but it might take until next gen.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
OP: if it were me, I'd get a 1080p screen. Not because I think 4K is largely useless right now, but because you can/will be able to get great deals on amazing 1080p TVs.

4K is amazing. In terms of gaming, it's a jump bigger than SD/HD to me. The IQ gain is insane.

Then, there's HDR.

About the bolded: it literally isn't be a bigger jump than SD > HD in terms of proportion AND perception because of diminishing returns:
- 1080p was 6x jump in pixel count over 480p at 16:9
- 4K is a 4,27x jump over 1080p

And unless you are a robot and your eyes perceive quality jumps in terms of raw pixel count, you're either remembering the jump to HD wrong, or lapping up the marketing spiel. But you're not a robot. You're human. Nobody's eyes work like that because we're perception-based beings, not bean-counting computers. We perceive change less and less as quality goes up. Again, it's a simple case of diminishing returns. Same reason why the jump from 30fps to 60fps is a bigger deal than 60fps to 120fps, even though the raw frame gain is bigger (+30 frames vs. +60 frames).

The same will be even truer if/when we make the jump from 4K to 8K. Fewer and fewer people will care about the change or even notice it.

OP, if you do ANY gaming on that TV, don't go 4k yet.

Input latency is super hyper ultra HD remix ex plus alpha trash tier with HDR. This shit needs to come down before anyone wants to seriously game on one.

Not enough 4k content. Not for a looooooong time and consoles won't be doing crazy shit with 4k until we are past Scorpio and PS5.

HDCP issues and consoles. Don't need to say much more, plenty of HDCP on sets aren't standardized at the moment and we see issues with PS4 Pro HDCP with folks having to disable console features to get the console to work properly.

If you do ZERO gaming on the TV then go 4k/HDR all the way. HDR is the BIGGER upgrade over resolution, IMO. Our living room TV is on its way out and we are sticking with 1080p until prices drop, latency/HDCP issues are resolved and there is more content (a LOT more content).

Just my .02

Nothing, absolutely nothing justifies a 4k set right now if you game on it. "Future Proofing" is bullshit with latency issues alone. That's just silly af to suggest otherwise and it's just crippling you at a higher price now for potential future 4k content down the line.

Mediking

OP, if you do ANY gaming on that TV, don't go 4k yet.

Input latency is super hyper ultra HD remix ex plus alpha trash tier with HDR. This shit needs to come down before anyone wants to seriously game on one.

Not enough 4k content. Not for a looooooong time and consoles won't be doing crazy shit with 4k until we are past Scorpio and PS5.

HDCP issues and consoles. Don't need to say much more, plenty of HDCP on sets aren't standardized at the moment and we see issues with PS4 Pro HDCP with folks having to disable console features to get the console to work properly.

If you do ZERO gaming on the TV then go 4k/HDR all the way. HDR is the BIGGER upgrade over resolution, IMO. Our living room TV is on its way out and we are sticking with 1080p until prices drop, latency/HDCP issues are resolved and there is more content (a LOT more content).

Just my .02

Nothing, absolutely nothing justifies a 4k set right now if you game on it. "Future Proofing" is bullshit with latency issues alone. That's just silly af to suggest otherwise and it's just crippling you at a higher price now for potential future 4k content down the line.

^ and we're done here.

^ and we're done here.

This is like the polar opposite of what I'm experiencing on my KS8000. Gaming is literally the best part of it. Netflix, Amazon, YouTube at 4k is great. But gaming is where the value truly is.

I don't think 21ms is trash either for 4k HDR.

I have an Asus MG279Q 144hz monitor that I use alongside it for reference about the level on input lag I'm used to.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
People recommending 1080p probably don't own 4k. The difference is significant,and it makes sense to spend a few hundred more now.

There is no discernible difference in resolution unless you sit closer to your TV than most people do. The push for more pixels is mostly a marketing scam by TV manufacturers (and now console makers).

That said, my next TV will probably be 4K, only for the color and contrast enhancements more likely to be in 4K TVs, as those ARE noticeable from any viewing distance.

atpbx

I wasn't that fussed about getting one, but Currys have a decently reviewed 49" one in for £699 at the moment so picked one up yesterday as my old Panasonic plasma is getting on a bit.

Its a nice set for the price.

I just bought my first 1080p TV about 10 days ago. (43" LG - very happy with it) I saw some 4k TVs in the store, but I just don't think there is enough contest out there to justify it for me. I only have about 6-7 HD channels, and there are no 4K TV channels available to me right now.

In a couple of years I'll get a 4k TV when there is more content in 4K, and move this LG set into the bedroom.

I guess I'm saying only get a 4k set if you have some 4k stuff to watch.

dr_rus

Personally I would wait at least a year before getting 4K TV as they are in a state of flux right now with HDR being introduced, HDMI 2.0 being not fast enough for this and the general lack of 4K content meaning that there isn't much you will be able to view on them. Getting a new 1080p TV seems rather unnecessary as well these days as they are on their way out. So if you already have some 1080p set them sit it out. It you need a new TV right now then I personally would go for a cheap 1080p and 4K in a year or two.

Alej

Banned
About the bolded: it literally isn't be a bigger jump than SD > HD in terms of proportion AND perception because of diminishing returns:
- 1080p was 6x jump in pixel count over 480p at 16:9
- 4K is a 4,27x jump over 1080p

And unless you are a robot and your eyes perceive quality jumps in terms of raw pixel count, you're either remembering the jump to HD wrong, or lapping up the marketing spiel. But you're not a robot. You're human. Nobody's eyes work like that because we're perception-based beings, not bean-counting computers. We perceive change less and less as quality goes up. Again, it's a simple case of diminishing returns. Same reason why the jump from 30fps to 60fps is a bigger deal than 60fps to 120fps, even though the raw frame gain is bigger (+30 frames vs. +60 frames).

The same will be even truer if/when we make the jump from 4K to 8K. Fewer and fewer people will care about the change or even notice it.

720p or 1080p didn't make perfect IQ. 4K simply do a polished almost perfect rasterized picture.

It's not like video 1080p versus video 4K where there is a subtle jump of piqué. We are talking about 3D rendering where a res upgrade as massive as 4K makes everything better by minimizing rendering artefacts.

And the perfect way to experience it is by looking at 4K (or checkerboarded 4K) through a 4K screen.

Edit: and FYI, SD/HD was essentially 576i/720p to me.

Pizza

I think 4K alone is a pretty substantial upgrade, but right now there's also a substantial cost. I'd say if you don't feel like you NEED one, get a smaller/cheaper 1080p tv that you could use for awhile until you feel like dropping some cash on a 4K tv

I desperately want a nice 4K tv, but I opted to wait until next year when they'll hopefully have better tvs on sale during Black Friday

I would go with 4k. I have had my 1080p for almost 7 years and plan to wait another before upgrading. Maybe there isn't a ton of content now but I would bet it would be much more prevalent in the next few years and then you won't have the TV to support it.

Jumeira

Banned
Alot of bad advice here, go 4k now or you'll be left behind. It's not even alot of money so cost isn't an excuse.

There's no possible solution with 1080 that is better. it's redundant tech.

This is like the polar opposite of what I'm experiencing on my KS8000. Gaming is literally the best part of it. Netflix, Amazon, YouTube at 4k is great. But gaming is where the value truly is.

I don't think 21ms is trash either for 4k HDR.

I have an Asus MG279Q 144hz monitor that I use alongside it for reference about the level on input lag I'm used to.
4k, 60hz 4:4:4, HDR is 37ms

So, yes. I do find that trash tier. I suppose it is acceptable for non-timing dependent games like Hearthstone but for anyone who likes to shoot, punch or jump tight - you will have issues.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
720p or 1080p didn't make perfect IQ. 4K simply do a polished almost perfect rasterized picture.

It's not like video 1080p versus video 4K where there is a subtle jump of piqué. We are talking about 3D rendering where a res upgrade as massive as 4K makes everything better by minimizing rendering artefacts.

And the perfect way to experience it is by looking at 4K (or checkerboarded 4K) through a 4K screen.

Edit: and FYI, SD/HD was essentially 576i/720p to me.

I see your point, but the same can be said about SD vs. HD. HD improved image quality over SD and diminished rendering artifacts too.

About 576i/720p: fair enough, but 576i is for PAL TVs only, and 720p was sort of a stepping stone. 720p is very rare these days. And we're talking about 1080p in this thread, which is what pretty much all HD TVs are right now.

I still have a hard time believing that going from 1080p to 4K for the first time today is more impressive than going from 480i/p or 576i/p to 1080p for the first time was back then. That's just not how human perception of quality improvements works.

Sharpfish

Don't get 4k until:

1. OLED 4k is within your price range
2. At a big enough size to be worth it (65"+)
3. When all the kinks are sorted out and it's truly 'mainstream' (prolly 2+ years from now).

Just get a great 1080p, cheap, for now.

The consoles for 4k are barely there are they, even scorpio won't probably be that amazing as it'll be running at 4k but with nerfed gfx compared to the levels of graphics you could have had with 1080p.

ALSO - I'm sure 2 years from now 8K will be the new big thing to get so in this case it may pay to hold off.

I certainly wouldn't be buying a normal LCD/LED over a plasma, so you need OLED to continue having the best picture without clouding etc. I hate LCD TVs (led backlit inc), total step backwards from good plasma.

Sharpfish

4K TVs are cheap now. Why would anyone get a 1080p set at this point?

Maybe because 'cheap' doesn't always equal better? A good 1080p TV for a similar price as an entry level 4k should run rings around it, be better (build) quality, have less issues etc.

Nobody wants to buy the cheapest 4k around because it will be lacking HDR (prob) and have a ton of issues, even the expensive 4k TVs have 'issues' that are not sorted yet.

4k needs a couple more years in the oven, with OLED and issues, to get 65"+ OLED down below the £1500 point. Then you can buy one to last you a good few years with great picture and minimal issues, otherwise it's false economy.

I may skip 4k entirely depending on when we start hearing about 8k OLED being doable at a good price.

Formosa

So, yes. I do find that trash tier. I suppose it is acceptable for non-timing dependent games like Hearthstone but for anyone who likes to shoot, punch or jump tight - you will have issues.
So you are saying that everyone that owns a 4K tv and a PRO has issue playing BF1 on a ks8000? Lmao. That's funny.

Listonosh

This might be a dumb question but, let's say I get a 4K TV, but I'd like to utilize the 1080p60 mode that's apparently coming to FFXV. Am I able to switch to a 1080 resolution on that 4K TV? Or is it as simple as switching the resolution settings on my PS4?

datamage

Currently, HDR is 4:2:0. That 37ms for HDR 4:4:4 is irrelevant.

Edit: HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth for HDR @ 4K/60 4:4:4

laxu

The Leo Bodnar method used nowadays by many reviewers for measuring input lag gives much higher numbers than the previous methods did.

I own both a KS8000 (well, the Nordic equivalent KS7005) and an ASUS PG278Q which has one of the fastest response times and lowest input lag in a monitor and I really have no issues gaming with either.

TheExodu5

Banned
That argument is so miniscule when people usually buy a TV to last 5-10 years.

A 4K set is worthless if it's not big enough for the viewer to appreciate the difference between a 1080p set. He's talking about getting a 40" 4K set...he would have to sit like 3-4 feet away from that to make it worthwhile.

Top Bottom