• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft obliged to sell more consoles than Sony in the US?

Worldwide we know i'ts imposible, but with a cheaper option, a more powerfull option, game pass and Bethesda if it fail to sell more consoles than Sony in the US i'ts a disaster.

Concern thread #1492 in the last 24 hours.
As usual, nothing useful to add to the discussion.

Worldwide we know i'ts imposible, but with a cheaper option, a more powerfull option, game pass and Bethesda if it fail to sell more consoles than Sony in the US i'ts a disaster.
The bigger disaster is if Xbox fails to really gain any traction with Gamepass after these studio purchases. So far the Xbox hardware is not off to a great start concerning the Series S. I expect MS to keep those numbers back.

GenericUser

US is traditionally pro xbox (compared to the rest of the world). Now that bethesda stuff is coming exclusively to xbox (and pc), I think the chances of being the dominant power in the US are pretty high. Not so sure for the rest of the world, but I bet I'll do significantly better then the xbox one.

As usual, nothing useful to add to the discussion.

The bigger disaster is if Xbox fails to really gain any traction with Gamepass after these studio purchases. So far the Xbox hardware is not off to a great start concerning the Series S. I expect MS to keep those numbers back.
Microsoft isn't even concerned about console sales. They understand the pivotal change in the market, services>hardware. Especially when you are looking at YoY growth. They have latched onto the Netflix of gaming mentality. So much more money to be made that way, and consumers profit from it as well.

Imagine paying the same price as Netflix per month and being able to play plenty of AAA games, indies, party games, etc. It may not make sense to people who play nothing but single player games that take only a handful of hours to beat. But for those who want to play any and everything, gamepass will prevail.

Last edited:
Oh cool, another statement of “if MS doesn’t achieve XYZ it’s an absolute disaster”. I’m sure in a years time if it comes true Phil will come and read this post and then yell over his shoulder “okay guys, pack it up. Xbox is done. GAF have declared it a disaster, we’re beyond recovery”.

Like seriously who gives a flying fuck. It’s a pretty reasonable thing to say that while they don’t have the games now, they will in a year or two yes? And we can assume they will achieve at least an average level of quality. So take what MS has done with services, Gamepass, pricing, hardware etc since being in “third place”, add in actually having games (for cheap via Gamepass) and guess what; let’s hope they don’t “win” in the US, cause apparently when they’re not winning is when they’re at their best.

I look forward to taking a week off in November to play games on my PC, my new Xbox, and my new PlayStation, and I can guarantee-fucking-tee you the last thing I’ll be giving a single shit about is “who wins” now, or next year, or ever.

jhjfss

MS likely won't , but they don't care too much anymore. Selling consoles and then exclusives is just 1 type of business model. Clearly MS believe their netflix model is more profitable in the long run. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it works out for them.

ZZZZ

Hm no...

1 - Microsoft is pushing gamepass more than Xbox, they don't care if you play the games on your PC or with your phones in the future with Xcloud.

2 - It will take some time to reverse the damage from the last generation.

3 - Microsoft has an insane amount of studios but the games need to be good.

4 - Most of those games will probably get release dates for Late 2022 - 2023 as well, giving Sony which should be a huge lead in the first 2 years before they start coming out.

So no, i don't think Microsoft is obliged to sell more consoles than Sony.

I know what you're after OP but I'll just say I find it hilarious that Sony sells far less PlayStations in their home country than they do in the USA. They must really love our gaijin money.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Team Blue already trying to find new ways to be able to call Xbox a failure lol. Amazing. Creating the narrative now that if they don't outsell the PS5 in the USA it's a failure. Damage control, the thread 2: electric boogaloo.

carlosrox

Banned
I know what you're after OP but I'll just say I find it hilarious that Sony sells far less PlayStations in their home country than they do in the USA. They must really love our gaijin money.

Sony loves bowing to Western cock and they're getting more and more Western as time goes on.

I miss when Sony used to be Japanese. PS1 days are long gone.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sony loves bowing to Western cock and they're getting more and more Western as time goes on.

I miss when Sony used to be Japanese. PS1 days are long gone.
I think the Japanese like gameplay in their games, not hold forward to proceed to next cutscene.

And anime titties.

DavidGzz

It will take PS3 level failure by Sony for MS to outsell them in the US based on past gen sales.

Why is it only possible if Sony screws up and have nothing to do with how compelling MS makes the Xbox platform? I am not saying they've done enough yet, but we don't know who they will buy next or what they will offer. What they've done so far puts them in a much better position than even the 360 era. Gamepass with EA play and Bethesda, All-Access, a cheap entry console, and even better BC support.

Xbox added 5 million subscribers to Gamepass in 5 months. Is that enough traction?

And that was BEFORE Bethesda+EA Play, a new generation getting started, and All Access. It is going to explode if they can add 5 million in 5 months at the end of a generation then it's only logical to conclude they may even double that adoption rate in the next 6 months.

Last edited:

TBiddy

And that was BEFORE Bethesda+EA Play, a new generation getting started, and All Access. It is going to explode if they can add 5 million in 5 months at the end of a generation then it's only logical to conclude they may even double that adoption rate in the next 6 months.

It's certainly possible yeah. I'm not exactly strapped for cash, but even I think that the All Access offer is alluring.

DavidGzz

It's certainly possible yeah. I'm not exactly strapped for cash, but even I think that the All Access offer is alluring.

If I hadn't been saving up for a while and didn't have GPU paid off until 2023 I would do it. It's a great deal if you're already paying for GPU month to month.

darthpaxton

Neo Member
Microsoft could do everything right and still probably not sell more consoles than Sony. Microsoft doesn't care about selling consoles anymore. They care about MAU and GamePass subscribers. They've made a ton of moves in the last four years that "hurt" their console business for the benefit of increasing MAU and GamePass Subscribers. With advancements in the streaming technology and cellular/home data, some "casual" gamers might not even own a console in eight years and instead stream xCloud to their Smart TV.

Microsoft isn't even concerned about console sales. They understand the pivotal change in the market, services>hardware. Especially when you are looking at YoY growth. They have latched onto the Netflix of gaming mentality. So much more money to be made that way, and consumers profit from it as well.

Imagine paying the same price as Netflix per month and being able to play plenty of AAA games, indies, party games, etc. It may not make sense to people who play nothing but single player games that take only a handful of hours to beat. But for those who want to play any and everything, gamepass will prevail.
Studios don’t release their big blockbusters day 1 on Netflix. They make money off of movies in the theatres and then move to digital sales and then move to streaming services like Netflix. So, unless they increase the price of Gamepass by quite a bit, I don’t see how they recoup the cost of releasing a $100M+ game and make a good profit on top of that.

Alandring

No, they don't need to sell consoles, because Game Pass is also available on PC and on Android with xCloud.

The US is a very important market for Microsoft, but I think they would prefer to have 20M subscribers there than to sell 40M Xbox Series.

A2una1

Yes, and Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout being exclusive will go a long way towards making that a reality.
I think it will certainly help them selling more game pass memberships. Since this is also on pc I don't know if it helps selling consoles in that large quantities...

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I think it will certainly help them selling more game pass memberships. Since this is also on pc I don't know if it helps selling consoles in that large quantities...

Most people are not going to spend the money to build a gaming PC over a $500/$300 console. If you already had a PC and just need to upgrade the GPU then you didn't apply in the first place and already belong to Microsoft.

A2una1

Most people are not going to spend the money to build a gaming PC over a $500/$300 console. If you already had a PC and just need to upgrade the GPU then you didn't apply in the first place and already belong to Microsoft.

I think you underrestimated how common gaming PCs are at the moment. Seeing the demand for new CPUs and GPUs over the last years and just recently with the start of the new 3000 Series NVidia GPUs. Also owning a Gaming PC myself, I don't own Game Pass, and I didn't purchase any of my PC Games through the Microsoft Store, Windows 10 I got for free so they actualy didn't made one dime of me....

whitesugar

Banned
With all the money they are spending, it would be embarrassing for them not to sell more this gen in their strongest region.

Their studios is 100% amarican target! They'd better be number 1 or a good number 2.

As a euro guy, i see what they do but yeah... american games are not my cop of tea. But for american gamers, i guess it's a nice option... in 4 or 5 years. I'm not shure we won't see great exclusive contents before 2 or 3 years anyway but i'm pretty certain there will be so great games.

Last edited:
Why is it only possible if Sony screws up and have nothing to do with how compelling MS makes the Xbox platform? I am not saying they've done enough yet, but we don't know who they will buy next or what they will offer. What they've done so far puts them in a much better position than even the 360 era. Gamepass with EA play and Bethesda, All-Access, a cheap entry console, and even better BC support.

It has to be Sony screwing up because Sony has such a dominate lead in console users this past generation, much like PS2. PS5 has backwards compatibility with PS4 games and Sony has proven 1st party franchises that users want. Historically, it took Nintendo and Sony screwing up to lose their marketshare leads against the competition when Nintendo decided not to use discs for the N64 and abused 3rd party publishers on the NES & SNES and when Sony tried to sell the PS3 for $600 and made it difficult to develop for. It’s not a coincidence that these events were caused by significant errors by the industry leaders.

Mista

Banned
I don’t think so but there’s a possibility. Not eliminating anything

Also to the people that says “Xbox is game pass” please stop talking like if the XSX isn’t going to sell because its a powerful console :)

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Of all of the above, I believe Series S is the key. But all digital may scare some people off. We'll see.

ReBurn

Gold Member
lol no

consoles are a way to sell software and get you to buy gamepass and pay them monthly to rent games. they're fine to not sell a console that they don't make money on if you subscribe to gamepass on pc. since they're releasing first party on pc they're fine not selling you a console if you buy on pc.

tell me that sony wouldn't sell fewer consoles if people could buy their first party games on pc

Last edited:
Top Bottom