• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is negativity at the moment effecting your love for the hobby?

Hostile_18

Banned
Because it is mine.

You've got people bashing the PS5, people bashing the X Box Series X, gamers trying to get people "cancelled".

Every new game seems to have controversy... if you've played Last of Us 2 without all the shit storm effecting you it's a god damn miracle. Final Fantasy 7 as good as it was had all the drama about its divisive final chapters.

As if the world isn't tough enough at the moment with everything going on it feels like we can't even enjoy our hobby to escape it like we use to.

It feels a shame that I feel like the talking aspect of our shared interest is so shit at the moment. Perhaps a more concerted effort to not engage in negativity is needed on my behalf.

People are ready to argue and find injustices with anything and everything and It just feels worse than ever, or is it just me?

Big hearts to the (mostly) rational users here and those that can offer critique without insults and those that can respect other peoples opinions. You are what makes this board better than the others ❤

Quezacolt

Why don't you just ignore those things then? Buy and play the games you want, and make your own opinion about it.

In my case, the negativity isn't affecting me at all. I see lots of people saying that Resident evil 3 remake is bad because cut content, or because it's too short, and ok, i accept their opinion, but i still love the game and that's what matters to me.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Oh you sweet summer child..... FUCK, why does everything needs to be positive and why cannot. No, "negativity" of other definitely does not effect me, because for some reason, I do buy shit for myself, how I see it and not for others. I know strange.

And "controversy", look some products simply sucks. So maybe jump off the "consume" train..... you know, how can you tell, that some game is even good...whatever, we see today, that games are rated 6-10/10, because of this "forced positivity".

As a grumpy Slav, I hate this.

The negativity isn't, the political agendas are ruining this 'hobby' for me. I would've loved nothing more than spend the weekend binging the Last of Us 2 as much as I have when I bought Uncharted Collection and then 4.

I miss games that I actually want to play just being awesome, and not conduits for shit think.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
How is literally anything you typed in the OP stopping you from playing and enjoying a video game? If anything, stay off social media for a week and just dig into a game you enjoy.

I've always liked to talk about games on here, share enjoyment for next gen etc. But it just lately seems more negative than ever both here and on YouTube etc.

Definitely dont want a world where it's all positivity. Critique absolutely has its place, but been able to tolerate other views points and state things in a way that isn't an attack or an irrational fan boy comment appears to be a real life skill.

I think its just the older you get the more it wears you down, made worse with the state of the world right now.

RavageX

I'm with you 100%. Gaming has always been important to me, helped me make it through rough spots, etc.

I always hoped it would reach heights of popularity.

Now that it has, I wish it didn't.

All this nonsense that has bled over into it. No more is it a simple thing for a game to come out, have a good story, good gameplay.... Or a game comes out that just sucks.

Now it's all some sort of agenda based or whatever, it's about people involved with making the game doing this, or doing that.

I have heard more about streamers than the games themselves these days.

The world itself has been pretty stressful, add in work, life, etc....minimal time to enjoy my hobbies period, gaming being one and sometimes just talking about potential new games or getting hyped about a release on here and a few other sites would help make the day a little better.

But wow, it's just like someone cast meteor on the whole thing(gaming).

MiguelItUp

I think the older I get the less I generally care about communicating with randos, cause a ton of them are toxic. Playing with them? Sure, fine. Text communication and shit? Yeah, sure. But I can only hear kids and adults throwing temper tantrums over VOIP so much before getting extremely irritated or annoyed, lol.

I will say all the TLOU2 nonsense made me wanna step back from GAF for awhile, lmao. The radical sides from all over were just ridiculous. "Opinions are welcome! We love opinions! Everyone has their own, and that's okay!" Provide yours that is different from the other person and get immediately shit on, lmao.

ToadMan

It’s not the negativity about consoles or games or companies - that’s been around for decades.

What is making me question things is what turns out to be the expression of overt racism and sexism in the community.

Now I’m as red pill as they come - ask anyone of my ex’s lol. But I don’t take offence at a game having a female lead, some non white characters or even a lesbian kiss.

So to see the unchecked bigotry being propagated is depressing and makes me question whether gamers actually are like their stereotypes - pre-teen mentality angry incels, Mountain Dew fueled half wits incapable of solving a problem unless it can be hit or shot at the point of a plastic button.

I mean that was supposed to be a parody but look at a few recent threads and that would be a fair conclusion.

Then when it comes to the console “war” - you’ve got people arguing about tech who’s tech knowledge seems to extend no further than reading an article or building a PC. They couldn’t (yes I asked) provide a simple mathematical proof when questioned to back up claims, never mind work on a major project, a graphics engine or an actual game.

I was given my “title” for a joke that MS was rumoured to be acquiring Bloober was a come down from the Sega acquisition rumour.

Not a racial insult, not sexist, not derogatory and not a personal insult to anyone but an accurate statement of what occurred and ... a little piece of humour.

Yet open racism and other forms of bigotry go unchecked. Personal insults, go unchecked. Obvious factual inaccuracy goes unchecked and on and on.

This community is what “we” (actually the owner) allow it to be. So yeah, I’m negative about it.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I couldn't give less of a toss about what's going on in the industry/world at the moment if I tried.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I've always liked to talk about games on here, share enjoyment for next gen etc. But it just lately seems more negative than ever both here and on YouTube etc.

Definitely dont want a world where it's all positivity. Critique absolutely has its place, but been able to tolerate other views points and state things in a way that isn't an attack or an irrational fan boy comment appears to be a real life skill.

I think its just the older you get the more it wears you down, made worse with the state of the world right now.

People in general are just more stressed and lashing out because they don't know how to handle their various frustrations, its going to be like that for a while at least, but I'm sure there are going to be big changes after the virus ends. I don't really know what real world things are bothering you so can't give specific advice. Generic advice was already given by many in this thread.

Whats bothering you? Apart from the Covid-19 ofc.

edit -maybe not really the place to talk politics I know, so PM me if want to chat.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah, it's getting a bit overwhelming.

The internet is an amazing thing but I guess I've had too much of it right now. I've stepped back from it quite a bit because I felt it's messing with my head. Not just because of the gaming community but the internet/world as a whole.

Last edited:

Pejo

I get what you're saying. My gf has fallen down this hole recently too. She's reading every article she can find on the riots and protesting and cops, it's a self-defeating cycle though where you keep getting more and more upset and more entrenched, to the point that it affects your daily life in negative ways that are completely unrelated. There is a lot of doom and gloom around the new consoles and stuff like TLoU2, but there's also plenty of people hyped up and enjoying those things. Don't focus so much on the negative, and start a new thread if there's something exciting you want to talk about.

It's a tough time for a lot of people right now, because we're still cooped up in our homes or at least uncomfortable in public, our usual way of life changed completely for the past 3 months. That's going to have psychological effects no matter what, and the media has been an absolute shitshow during this time, making it worse.

Just try to enjoy some games, talk about some things you like with like-minded people, nothing is making you click on outrage threads or reading posts shitting on (console of choice).

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If other peoples opinion affect your hobby, then maybe you caring about others opinion and being negative about an opinion you didnt want over actually enjoying your hobby is the issue. Maybe you should enjoy your hobby more than opinion of random people on the internet.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Just ignore it, everyone at the moment want to suck the joy out of everything not just next-gen consoles. So my advice just buy the console you want to buy and play the games you want the play.

Jtibh

Banned
You mean people had enough of getting lied to like in the last of us 2 trailers and reviews only to end up with a pile of shit of story and forced to play as someone they never mentioned in the reviews or trailers?

Or how every game has to be politicized and cater to the 1 percent taking police cars out of fortnite etc?

People are just fed up with being treated as idiots and cattle.
Hollywood failed people cancelling netflix left and right and now they come for the only media thats left to infest with identity politics and propaganda .

MiguelItUp

Yeah, it's getting a bit overwhelming.

The internet is an amazing thing but I guess I've had too much of it right now. I've stepped back from it quite a bit because I felt it's messing with my head. Not just because of the gaming community but the internet/world as a whole.
This year has been quite a mess to say the least, especially with everything going on. It's hard to even look at things without seeing politics getting thrown into the mix. Even at places that once could've been considering a sanctuary, haha.

I'm generally a very optimistic person, but I also try to make sure I keep a realist hat on. That being said, in moments where things do feel like a bit much. Just take some time and look out for yourself and yours. That's the most important thing.

Hostile_18

Banned
People in general are just more stressed and lashing out because they don't know how to handle their various frustrations, its going to be like that for a while at least, but I'm sure there are going to be big changes after the virus ends. I don't really know what real world things are bothering you so can't give specific advice. Generic advice was already given by many in this thread.

Whats bothering you? Apart from the Covid-19 ofc.

edit -maybe not really the place to talk politics I know, so PM me if want to chat.

Thanks for the offer 😊. Its nothing that isn't really effecting us all but been on lockdown, not seeing friends and family, the riots etc. I think the world just isn't a great place at the moment, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's just that gaming is pretty toxic at the moment (or at least the social commentary on it is) which is usually a enjoyable distraction. Console wars and people with agendas are my main problem.

Thing is with gaming it attracts such a wide audience. There will be people here younger who love taking sides and shots at people, but for many that's a part of life we left behind many years ago as we got older and we just enjoy rational discourse now as we've seen everything like this play out many times before. It's just harder than ever to avoid the drama, at least in my opinion 😂😊.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The negativity and console warring is certainly a deterrent to my enjoyment, but I think it's greatly amplified by how shit the world is currently.

It's easier to dwell on something mean someone said about my favorite plastic box than it is to deal with the fact that the global economy has collapsed, protests, riots, property and businesses getting destroyed every day and the fact that world we knew before the China Plague will probably never be the same.

GymWolf

Lol what negativity? Discussing ups and downs of a reveal console in a videogame forum is now something negative?

My answer is no of course.

Also nomura being an hack and ff7 being a shitty remake doesn't lower my enjoyment for other games at all.

Last edited:

Self

Politics ladies and gentleman.
Politics have fucked us really good.

It's unbeliebbake how this smirky little bastards have invaded our community to fight their good fight.
And we all fell for it.

Not gonna lie, All the shit around BFV stopped me from buying the game and I didn't even give a shit about them adding females.

Didn't want to be a part of that launch at all.

manfestival

Nah, I am having probably more fun with gaming than I ever had. Back to being overwhelmed by backlogs and game catalogs(game pass). I usually just ignore the negativity. I gotta deal with enough of these trash kids in my COD lobby but I get to take it out on them as well

No dont care, during daytime i'am to bussy to play The Last of Us2 and i like the game. In the evening i visit some websites and look at some forums. (Yeah also neogaf)
Whe i see the shitstorm is still going on i shake my head and go and watch some movies on the televison😉

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
The negativity and console warring is certainly a deterrent to my enjoyment, but I think it's greatly amplified by how shit the world is currently.

It's easier to dwell on something mean someone said about my favorite plastic box than it is to deal with the fact that the global economy has collapsed, protests, riots, property and businesses getting destroyed every day and the fact that world we knew before the China Plague will probably never be the same.

Thats pretty much how I feel. The world is in such a bad place and that alone is horrible of course, but gaming was/is a welcome distraction (not to bury my head in the sand, but theres only so much negativity any one of us can deal with at one time).

Now theres so much drama around the commentators, the developers, the next gen fan boy wars, the politics of game design. Honestly if I never visited forums/watched YouTube I'd be happier about the hobby... but it shouldn't be like that. These things should enhance the experience not make it worse. 😊

Last edited:

Lukin1978

No I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks about gaming never did. I don't follow any of the drama I know what I like and what I want no one else's opinion matters.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because it is mine.

You've got people bashing the PS5, people bashing the X Box Series X, gamers trying to get people "cancelled".

Every new game seems to have controversy... if you've played Last of Us 2 without all the shit storm effecting you it's a god damn miracle. Final Fantasy 7 as good as it was had all the drama about its divisive final chapters.

As if the world isn't tough enough at the moment with everything going on it feels like we can't even enjoy our hobby to escape it like we use to.

It feels a shame that I feel like the talking aspect of our shared interest is so shit at the moment. Perhaps a more concerted effort to not engage in negativity is needed on my behalf.

People are ready to argue and find injustices with anything and everything and It just feels worse than ever, or is it just me?

Big hearts to the (mostly) rational users here and those that can offer critique without insults and those that can respect other peoples opinions. You are what makes this board better than the others ❤

*looks at OP's profile picture*...

Hold up...

Druckmann, is that you?

If yes, then sorry you are getting making fun of because of TLOU2, but come on now.

On a more serious note, it's always been like that. Just look at the start of previous generation, everything went batshit crazy and Xbox One became the biggest gaming meme of the decade, amd in a bad way

Last edited:

NahaNago

If negativity is affecting your love of the hobby you need to step back away from all the things affecting your love of it. I did that earlier this year cause I was seeing sjw stuff because of youtube everywhere and it was affecting my love of movies and video games.

Last edited:

Yams

Honestly if I never visited forums/watched YouTube I'd be happier about the hobby... but it should be like that. These things should enhance the experience not make it worse. 😊

You straight-up would be happier. I left Facebook and Twitter a few years ago for similar reasons. It was good for me. Occasionally, when I dip my toes back in, I'm shocked at how angry and toxic people are (it doesn't matter which side you happen to be on).

I visit this forum because a new console launch is an exciting time and it can be fun to follow the speculation. The negativity is a downer though. Everything is either THE WORST or THE BEST. Opinions that occupy the middle ground tend to get drowned out.

samporter

Banned
I think the negativity is introduced on purpose by the game journalist and game developers. In the case with the TLOU2, the creator said that the game was meant to be divisive. He knew it would drive up passion and maybe he thought that may translate into game sales. The shill game journalist fan the fire by giving the game almost universal 10/10 scores. They knew this would not sit well with players.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The hate for The Last of Us II has actually made me like the game more. I expected it to be the most godawful SJW cringefest, and it's been pleasant. I didn't love an event at the beginning of the game and I am not a fan of Abby, but I am enjoying myself and want to push on!

I don't understand how other people's opinion can make you like something more than your own.

I loved many 4 or 7 out of ten games and hated many 9 or ten out of ten games. I don't really care about what other people think. If I did I never bought an Xbox One to begin with for an example.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member

Don't mention it :messenger_sunglasses:

What? 😐

Top Bottom