• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is negativity at the moment effecting your love for the hobby?

taizuke

It's not affecting my enjoyment of the hobby but it is affecting my worldview of people and my interactions online. It's only going to get harder because people seem to get angrier and more negative with each passing day.

It's become too difficult to ignore sometimes, especially when browsing anything springs another negative topic about something.

It's getting to the point where I've considered taking a break not just from social media or gaming forums but the internet entirely. Feels like everywhere you go online there's a bomb waiting to explode.

It's this incessive need to share and yell how much you hate something that gets me the most.

And I'm probably going to get shit on for saying this or laughed at. For not being able to be strong enough to ignore it. Being weak or worse. But I'm sorry, not all of us are made equal.

Last edited:
nah I have been playing GTA V and laughing my ass off with the great dialogue. On the flip side Im playing Doom Eternal and have a blast shitting on demons. TLOU2 was pretty disappointing but I am used to that feeling in the game industry lately. They are games, Im more worried about what's going on in my country rn and I like using games to escape. That hasn't changed for me.

teezzy

Banned
No. I'm gaming more than ever lately. Anyone who isnt impressed by either of the new consoles is inarguably a bit of a poophead.

I'll stick with my PC for some time, but I'm just as excited for next gen as the system wants me to be.

No - but that is mainly because the online gaming "community" has been a cesspool for years and years now. None of the latest drama is really new or surprising.

teezzy

Banned
When I am sitting down and playing BotW or a From Soft game I am just enjoying it.
But reading in forums is getting a bit weird.

It was definitely a very different experience 10 to 15 years ago.

That's because video games are fun.

Reading endless amounts of text centered around various walks of nerd whinging about their industry gripes is not.

That's because video games are fun.

Reading endless amounts of text centered around various walks of nerd whinging about their industry gripes is not.
I don't really get that people take this console wars shit serious these days.
When the 360 and the PS3 hit, the stabs were there but a lot more tongue in cheek here on GAF.

Some people here act like you are raping their mothers just when you are making a bit of fun of the botched presentation of their favorite toy maker.

Play your fucking games, and don't make a religion out of it.

teezzy

Banned
I don't really get that people take this console wars shit serious these days.
When the 360 and the PS3 hit, the stabs were there but a lot more tongue in cheek here on GAF.

Some people here act like you are raping their mothers just when you are making a bit of fun of the botched presentation of their favorite toy maker.

Play your fucking games, and don't make a religion out of it.

I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but maybe something to do with the nature of games? The way you assume the role of a virtual avatar in a fictional world in most titles could lead to people assuming their preferred gaming platform as a part of their identity. Someone attacks the platform, they see it as a personal insult. Like they're stupid for making the choices they did.

Like I said, talking out of my ass. I've been up since 4am. I don't sleep much lately.

Not really. I just play play mostly older games that are unaffected by the current gaming climate and events. Not allowing the current gaming landscape to get to me either.

Matt_Fox

A lot of storm in a teacup threads recently whipping up 'controversy', and those threads sadly get a lot of attention.

A chap did a nice thread last week about underrated gaming gems, and I thought this will be great and we can share our gaming love... it vanished from the front page almost immediately.

Blond

Banned
All this negativity made me realize that dropping out of modern gaming going forward was the right decision. Everyone is up in arms about every little fucking thing, TLOU 2 is amazing but some asshole here made a troll with spoilers in the paragraph so you end up reading it and not realizing what you did. I'm trying to enjoy it because it plays like everything I want but god damn it I can't get engaged because I see EVERYTHING.

Maybe I just need to stay away from the internet for a while.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Because it is mine.

You've got people bashing the PS5, people bashing the X Box Series X, gamers trying to get people "cancelled".

Every new game seems to have controversy... if you've played Last of Us 2 without all the shit storm effecting you it's a god damn miracle. Final Fantasy 7 as good as it was had all the drama about its divisive final chapters.

As if the world isn't tough enough at the moment with everything going on it feels like we can't even enjoy our hobby to escape it like we use to.

It feels a shame that I feel like the talking aspect of our shared interest is so shit at the moment. Perhaps a more concerted effort to not engage in negativity is needed on my behalf.

People are ready to argue and find injustices with anything and everything and It just feels worse than ever, or is it just me?

Big hearts to the (mostly) rational users here and those that can offer critique without insults and those that can respect other peoples opinions. You are what makes this board better than the others ❤

Console warriors have always existed and will always exist. Learn to tune them out otherwise you will never last in this hobby. As for "gamers trying to get people 'cancelled' " what are you talking about? All the recent cancellations have been slacktivists, not gamers, trying to cancel important people in the gaming industry.

TLOU2 is a divisive game, FF7R is much less so. People have opinions, especially on a forum dedicated to video games. Gamers are passionate to begin with so that passion will seep into discussions, especially of titles that are held in high regard (which both are). If you don't like it, don't participate. Move on and talk about other games, create other threads.

Also rather confused on the "injustices". Are you referring to social justice dogma and the large contingent of people here rightfully criticizing and calling it out? Or are you referring to the slacktivists trying to find offense by calling everything some variation of -ist/-phobic ?

But yea, gaming can be as uplifting as you make it. You will never avoid negativity unless you try to create an echo chamber for yourself, but you can focus on the positivity and try to bring that forward in other threads, topics, etc.

Top Bottom