• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is Nintendo Switch going to dethrone PS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
No.

My guess, based on nothing, is 60m.

playXray

Nintendo Switch launch is absolutely amazing and beyond anyone's expectation. Also, it should be remembered that its launch is in the non-holiday season. With such high demand and amazing reception even in a quieter period of the year don't you think Switch is going to dethrone PS2 and top 155 million?

It's way too early to tell.

Philippo

tumblr_mhuy5furLo1s5o3aso2_400.gif

bombshell

Nintendo Switch launch is absolutely amazing and beyond anyone's expectation. Also, it should be remembered that its launch is in the non-holiday season. With such high demand and amazing reception even in a quieter period of the year don't you think Switch is going to dethrone PS2 and top 155 million?

Such high demand? Nintendo's new updated expectation for first year is 10 million, that's a great number, but it's not really approaching PS4 numbers when that did 20 million last year.

It's also way too early to know how front-loaded Switch is going to be.

Has the Switch even surpassed the PS4's release window sales?

Nope.

I don't think it will dethrone Wii either. I think it might end somewhere around 70 million sales lifetime, around 3DS numbers.

NO .
Nothing will get close to the PS2 .
Also it way to early to say how it will do over all .
You also have to see if it will keep pace with PS4 or Wii .

FinalAres

Could do. It's a little early to say. The Switch does have a lot of competition with the PS4 and PS2 was a one horse race.

But I think it's going to be really successful.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lol.
I understand that everytime Nintendo does something it's like seeying the light for some Nintendo fans, but guys be more objective and with feets on the ground, you can't believe all the things PRs say as is, Nintendo shipped few consoles on purpose to have this "OMG it's everything sold out in hours!" effect(that's absolutely not true in Italy or at least where i live, you can buy all the Switch you want) it's too early to say anything sales-wise and software-wise there's absolutely nothing saying that Switch will have the same third party support of the ps2.

If Switch will be the new ps2 good for Nintendo, but again it's really too early to say that.

score01

I'm rooting for Nintendo as much as the next guy but let's get real here. Nintendos 3rd party support has always been lacking on the home console front and there is no big sign that this is going to change anytime soon. So No. No it won't.

Jesus some of you are high on the hype.

The first signs point to a success, but it is far to early to use those superlatives and there are too many uncertainties at this point. MK8 Deluxe being the best selling Amazon game does not predict switch being the most successful gaming device ever.

Branduil

Calm down. It's off to a great start, but there are still so many opportunities for classic Nintendo screw-ups in the future.

NewGame

Banned
PS2 sold 150mil units. A lot of those were people buying a DVD player.

The Wii got close for a bit, but it's endgame was really bad.

The 3DS is at 60mil for reference.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol.
I understand that everytime Nintendo does something it's like seeying the light for some Nintendo fans, but guys be more objective and with feets on the ground, you can't believe things as is, Nintendo shipped few consoles on purpose to have this "OMG it's everything sold out!" effect(that's absolutely not true in Italy or at least where i live, you can buy all the Switch you want) it's too early to say anything sales-wise and software-wise there's absolutely nothing saying that Switch will have the same third parties of the ps2.

If Switch will be the new ps2 good for Nintendo, but again it's really too early to say that.
Breh you also being highly irrational watch this entire period makes you think it's an artificial shortage.

DJwest

I'm going to bet against the possibility of this happening, OP. Also, let's chill and see how the system performs in a year.

120v

it'll dethrone the vita

but seriously, its only been a few months. the thing could easily flame out in a year or so. personally i think it'll do fine, but c'mon

dickroach

Breh you also being highly irrational watch this entire period makes you think it's an artificial shortage.

it's a company that has enough bankroll to operate in the gray for the next 50 years and stay above water. they are limiting their production not for lack of necessity, but because of some other unknown reason. you tell me what it is.

Peterc

I think it could happen, if nintendo can produce enough switches and sony or MS would release some kind of clone of this.

Remember sales from NDS? 154.88 and ps2 157.68

Btw, proof that best gfx doesn't always mean it will be the best system in sales. Also PS2 at the end was almost a copystation, everyone got copied games on the system because it was easy to do.

it's a company that has enough bankroll to operate in the gray for the next 50 years and stay above water. they are limiting their production not for lack of necessity, but because of some other unknown reason. you tell me what it is.

The absolute dumpster fire that was Wii U. I still don't think some of you realize how big of a disaster that console was for Nintendo.

Not even the ps4 can dethrone the ps2.

The wii brought in millions of non gamers and came within 40 million.

As a home console i think the ps2 will be king forever.

wapplew

Scorpio sales will count as XBOX One sales when everything's all said and done, right?
like... unless console generations are in fact done?
or....
...i dunno, just something I never thought of till now

Yes, Xbox one and Scorpio combine sales is what I meant.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Logistics is way consoles aren't magically created and shipped these things all cost time and and money and can't be dramatically increased at a flip of a switch unless you have massive pull with supplies.

They made a conservative estimate after the failure of the wii u and it bit them in ass. They're now currently struggling to ramp up production. There's no artifical shortage conspiracy here.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Third parties aren't going to support this in droves like the PS2. It'll get a lot of independent games, but major publishers aren't going to be making much for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom