• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is Nintendo Switch going to dethrone PS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickroach

Logistics is way consoles aren't magically created and shipped these things all cost time and and money and can't be dramatically increased at a flip of a switch unless you have massive pull with supplies.

They made a conservative estimate after the failure of the wii u and it bit them in ass. They're now currently struggling to ramp up production. There's no artifical shortage conspiracy here.
good one

Forkball

Which of the following items will the Switch outsell?

PS2
Nintendo DS
Walkman
Electric foot tubs
Spark plugs
The cumulative total of JNCO jeans sold in the 1990s
All the Percy Jackson books
May '98-Sept '98 EGM issues

Deft Beck

Developers would actually need kits to make games for it. The PS2 flourished due to a continuation of the policies that helped the PS1 dominate.

Right now, the Switch is very software-constrained.

Winthorpe

Banned
No. And I say that as a Nintendo nerd. I don't think we'll ever see PS2 level success again. That said, the Switch is doing much, much better than I expected.

What in the damn hell? I love my Switch but this thread is just impossible to take seriously, it's a couple months old let's not jump to the most extreme bars of success here.

While I think it's great to see the Switch come out swinging, people need to calm their expectations. For as much as people make drive-by "don't read too much into it" comments, it's kind of true. We don't know if or how the momentum will be carried over the next year, especially considering the system has only been out for 2 months.

The PS4 will struggle to hit 155m, and that thing is selling hand over fist. Switch will likely struggle to hit the Wii's LTD in my opinion, but it could potentially sell better than the 3DS's 60m. That's the target Nintendo should be aiming for, as it'd at show growth.

Sony fans and salty gamers: No it's not.

Nice shitpost.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Not even Nintendo has such expectations, with Kimishima saying before launch that the Switch could possibly sell as well as the Wii did.

If I had to guess, I would say that the Switch will fall somewhere in between the 3DS at 66M and Wii at 101M.

Shiggy

Maybe we should wait a bit more. The sales of the first 1 to 1.5 months may not be fully representative.

screenshot2017-05-01am6amg.png

While I think it's great to see the Switch come out swinging, people need to calm their expectations. For as much as people make drive-by "don't read too much into it" comments, it's kind of true. We don't know if or how the momentum will be carried over the next year, especially considering the system has only been out for 2 months.

The PS4 will struggle to hit 155m, and that thing is selling hand over fist. Switch will likely struggle to hit the Wii's LTD in my opinion, but it could potentially sell better than the 3DS's 60m. That's the target Nintendo should be aiming for, as it'd at show growth.

Nice shitpost.

Thanks I'm just tired by all this crap. And if you read all the threads you'd know that this isn't a shitpost, it's the truth, sadly.

edit: see above

dano1

A Sheep
I think you meant to say GameCube 21.74 mill.

They can't even produce that many if they could sell them.

Which of the following items will the Switch outsell?

PS2
Nintendo DS
Walkman
Electric foot tubs
Spark plugs
The cumulative total of JNCO jeans sold in the 1990s
All the Percy Jackson books
May '98-Sept '98 EGM issues

Trick question! All of the above combined and one half of a Jackie Chan.

Obviously way too early to tell, but it's much safer to bet on "no."

Generally speaking though, it's important to note that the PS2 didn't sell 155m units in a hurry. If I remember right, it was sitting at closer to 100m when the PS3 came out. What makes the PS2 so unique, and probably never to be topped, is how well it just continued to sell years into the next generation. I'm sure there were months in 2008 and 2009 where the PS2 was reliably outselling its own successor. It was finally discontinued in 2012, a year before the PS4 was out. Even then, it was still getting software.

The PS2 was a true marathon runner.

Thanks I'm just tired by all this crap. And if you read all the threads you'd know that this isn't a shitpost, it's the truth, sadly.

edit: see above

All I see above is someone correcting your crappy post. Not even the PS4 will reach PS2's ridiculous LTD. What's salty about saying the Switch won't? "Most people", would be shocked if any other console managed to reach those highs ever again.

Caronte

People buying the console right now are hardcore Nintendo fans, who made even the Wii U launch a success. It's way too early to make that kind of predictions.

All I see above is someone correcting your crappy post. Not even the PS4 will reach PS2's ridiculous LTD. What's salty about saying the Switch won't? "Most people", would be shocked if any other console managed to reach those highs ever again.

And? What are you talking about? The switch is two months old. You can't make predictions for a console which is only two months old. The PS4 is almost 4 years old.

The real crappy post is your post.

It's waaaaaay too early to give any sort of LT prediction on Switch. Like any prediction right now is mostly pulled from thin air without a lot of ground to stand on.

It is SAFE to say that Switch will easily outsell Wii U. I feel certain on that. But other than that? 40 million? 60 million? 100 million? No one knows.

We don't even have 2 months worth of data or a single Holiday Season yet to gauge it against.

Chumley

Banned
No console will ever dethrone the PS2, we don't live in a world where that's even possible anymore, mostly because of mobile and all the other ways people play games now.

And? What are you talking about? The switch is two months old. You can't make predictions for a console which is only two months old. The PS4 is almost 4 years old.

The real crappy post is your post.

With a basic understanding of the market we are living in, sure you can. There is always a possibility, but it is very, very slim these days.

Behlel

Gamecube launched November and bombed
WiiU launched in November and bombed
Dreamcast holiday season and flopped
Wii was out on holiday and was severely supply constrained for months.

And yet there are people that think that launch in holiday season is equal to sell like gangbusters.

kubev

Doubtful. I was never a huge PlayStation 2 fan, but I can understand its appeal. In addition to it being a powerful (at the time) video game system, it also offered consumers a relatively inexpensive entry into the DVD market. Switch doesn't really offer that sort of wide appeal, in my opinion. Nintendo's insistence on the tablet approach isn't bad, really, but the company's execution is. Switch is still ultimately a dedicated video game system, and its tablet functions are virtually non-existent. Switch won't come anywhere close to topping PlayStation 2 in terms of sales.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
This isnt even reaching at this point.

Only system that even has a slight chance is the PS4. The switch doesnt even seem like it will match the xbox one in sales or 3DS, yet alone exceed them

Switch will sell a good amount if they keep up good first party support and has some decent 3rd party support.

Chumley

Banned
I wonder how many people here are old enough to remember specifically why the PS2 was such a big deal that can't be replicated again.

It played the best looking games you could buy and, more importantly, was a DVD player not long after DVD's became the thing.

Sony fans and salty gamers: No it's not
Everyone else: Maybe let's see.

Too early tbh.

PS2 sold around 50 million units AFTER the PS3 was out.

The PS2 numbers won't be seen for a long time (if ever thanks to mobile). It was more than just a gaming device to many that bought it. Now those purposes have been replaced with $20 DVD players at Wal-Mart and Roku/Apple TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom