• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo's mobile move more of a marketing tool? (Shares fall 12%)

I'd really appreciate that shinra

And thanks, it's really nice of you! :)
Not sure if that better captures what you were getting at or not.

Anyway, on your topic I edited in a bit before.
But essentially, I don't think that they needed to engage so closely with DeNA if it were going to be largely an exercise in promotion. They could have simply entered into a licensing partnership.

But maybe I'm just being overly optimistic that heads have finally pulled out of the sand. And my opinion of what they need to do is coloured by a growing pessimism in the long term attractiveness of the dedicated space.

J@hranimo

Banned
This is how I picture most investing discussion on the internet.

Tr5GuGL.jpg

Homer is pretty much me in the pic right now.

"I thought I joined NeoGAF, not NeoSEF!"
Neo-Stock-Exchange-Forum. Yes, it is a terrible made up name...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Not sure if that better captures what you were getting at or not.

Anyway, on your topic I edited in a bit before.
But essentially, I don't think that they needed to engage so closely with DeNA if it were going to be largely an exercise in promotion. They could have simply entered into a licensing partnership.

But maybe I'm just being overly optimistic that heads have finally pulled out of the sand. And my opinion of what they need to do is coloured by a growing pessimism in the long term attractiveness of the dedicated space.

It does, I cannot thank you enough.

Well this is essentially what I view from this partnership between DeNA and Nintendo - a licensing venture with a capital injunction where Nintendo can control the brand/messaging/quality (they are now the 2nd largest shareholder) whose purpose is to further broaden their reach/brand.

Nintendo develops the games. DeNA markets and establishes the monetization aspect under Nintendo's guidance and share the revenue 50-50.

Iwata-san has mentioned that protecting their IP will take precedence over what is expected from analysts or investors; thus, in a sense, limiting the profit ratio or revenue these titles would generate.

If I take what is mentioned, then truly in a sense the mobile offerings are more of a marketing tool in the hopes that these customers will transition to premium offerings (consoles) and hopefully monetize them other ways through merchandise sales, amiibo, etc.

I may be wrong in my thought process though.

It does, I cannot thank you enough.

Well this is essentially what I view from this partnership between DeNA and Nintendo - a licensing venture with a capital injunction where Nintendo can control the brand/messaging/quality (they are now the 2nd largest shareholder) whose purpose is to further broaden their reach/brand.

Nintendo develops the games. DeNA markets and establishes the monetization aspect under Nintendo's guidance and share the revenue 50-50.

Iwata-san has mentioned that protecting their IP will take precedence over what is expected from analysts or investors; thus, in a sense, limiting the profit ratio or revenue these titles would generate.

If I take what is mentioned, then truly in a sense the mobile offerings are more of a marketing tool in the hopes that these customers will transition to premium offerings (consoles) and hopefully monetize them other ways through merchandise sales, amiibo, etc.

I may be wrong in my thought process though.

They could also do the same they did with the DS. At first they said it was a third pillar, and when the money came pouring thet dropped the Gameboy line with no mercy.

If they start making lots of money they might as well give up their handheld bussiness and their hardcore side of home consoles.

If Nx is truly a brand bew concept , it may be a console based on local multiplayer . They have been very successful there and they have no competition.

I have my concerns beleiving it being a marketing tool to upsell their hardware. Its a very naive asumption. The smartphone replaces lots of hardware , like photo cameras and mp3 player, and in those markets people are not upgrading to better cameras. The phone is good enough. But they are not going to say "well if we start making money we are going to ignore the things we have being doing for decades"

Also the annoucement indicates a change of direction and that will affect their NX platform, and since i dont think they truly beleive their upselling gambit, Nx will be something complementary to mobile games that also will play games that demand buttons, like 3d zeldas, mario and smash. But maybe they beleive that people might buy a console after playing a mobile game, but then agaib they already know that they tried the same with wii and it didnt work since casuals went to mobile.

Not

Banned
Investors are never happy. Isn't that the point? Let's wait and see how the mobile games do first. Or, freak out over the latest Iwata comments.

Come on. I know he's the president. But what he says and what Nintendo does are pretty obviously two different things.

Not

Banned
Are we gonna be meticulously analyzing every time Nintendo's stock rises and falls now, post-mobile announcement? Cause it seems kind of pointless

Guevara

People read the headlines:

OMG Nintendo going mobile! Smash Bros in my iPad. Zelda on my iPhone! Ids habbeding!​

Then people read the article:

Oh, actually DeNA and Nintendo are jointly developing mobile games that will be very much in the mobile-games model: F2P, IAP, want to be as big as Candy Crush, etc.​

Top Bottom