• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is now a good/bad time to buy a PSP

Lil' Dice

Banned
Ok, i've been on the brink of pulling the trigger and buyin one for a while now, but i'm constantly reminded of how it's game line-up is not all that strong at the moment. Not to mention the UMD format is a flop.
I'm seriously thinking of heading to Best Buy or Fry's later today to buy one, so give me the scoop:

What good games are out now, or on the horizon?
Are there any bundle deals being offered this weekend?
Is there a redesigned version releasing soon with a price drop?

Thanks!

Madame M

Banned
Bad.

I bought one in March and have gotten very little use out of it.

There's really nothing coming up that looks terribly fascinating and worth paying $40 for

jjasper

Good Time. The end of the year line up is pretty stong IMO

Tekken, VP: Lenneth, LocoRoco, Killzone, Metal Slug Anthology, Ultimate Ghost N' Goblins, Powerstone Collection, Ratchet and Clank. Plus there is always Metal Gear!

Plus good games out now:
Lumines, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure, Syphon Filter, Daxter, Metal Gear Acid 1/2

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Anytime is fine, but I worry about an upcoming redesign. PSP+ or whatever they want to call it might be better ergonomically and it might have more features.

There's a big Playstation meeting later this month. If there's going to be a redesign, it will probably be announced there. Wait for it.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Anytime is fine, but I worry about an upcoming redesign. PSP+ or whatever they want to call it might be better ergonomically and it might have more features.

Yeah, that's bugging me too. When is it supposed to release?

Luckett_X

Banned
I think I am really holding out on a price-drop. Dicks on ebay are certainly annoying me as I watch every single white psp go for high street retail price. What is the point if you can just go out and buy it in a local shop without paying shipping -__-

I want Loco Roco really bad, but £150+ for a portable just... aint gonna happen.

I'm currently getting more use out of my PSP than my DS Lite.
The PSP's library this year is tons stronger. Without a doubt.

Oneself

goodpspgames5bb.jpg

Here's the answer.:) The last one on the right is Star Soldier BTW.

mutsu

Luckett_X said:
I think I am really holding out on a price-drop. Dicks on ebay are certainly annoying me as I watch every single white psp go for high street retail price. What is the point if you can just go out and buy it in a local shop without paying shipping -__-

Off topic, but isn't it the same with iPods?

Y2Kev

I hate to schill for Lara, but TRL is not that bad on PSP.

Minimal ghosting but some bad (in combat like bad bad) framerate issues. If you haven't played it, it does actually translate well to the handheld with the frequent checkpoints.

I played through it on PSP and 360 so it's definitely doable. Oh, and GET FIELD COMMANDER.

Lil' Dice

Banned
What about the laters firmware update on the PSPs? Is there any emulation/homebrew possible on anything newer than 1.5?
Can i still rip one of my DVDs to the memory stick?

UncleGuito said:
I'm currently getting more use out of my PSP than my DS Lite.
The PSP's library this year is tons stronger. Without a doubt.

I gotta agree, i get some good hours with my DS but man.. the PSP just seems more fit for a handheld gaming device, plus im enjoying the power that little device packs..

The PSP is just coming into its own, sorta like how the first playstation had a slow start then bang.... nothing but great gaming

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If you're into RPGs Tales of Eternia is really nice (EU import). Assuming you haven't played it before that is.
I've also been playing Popolocrois recently...not exactly the best RPG ever, but it's pretty fun, and charming. It's also kind of fitting for a handheld, seeing as you can save anywhere, and how the story is split into smaller parts, that are fairly independent from each other.

warthog

Lil' Dice said:
What about the laters firmware update on the PSPs? Is there any emulation/homebrew possible on anything newer than 1.5?
Can i still rip one of my DVDs to the memory stick?

I think there's a new downgrade for firmware 2.5/2.6 --> 1.5

Oneself said:
goodpspgames5bb.jpg

qfmft

psp is a great handheld system. lots of good shit coming out for it soon, and theres a ton of things to play now.

im excited for:

Tekken
Loco Rocco
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Ridge Racers 2
Exit 2
Lumines 2
Every Extend Extra
GTA: VCS
Traxion
Gitaroo Man Lives!
Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins

Oneself

MoxManiac said:
Needs more SFA3, but nice collection oneself!

I'm waiting for a price drop on this one, got SFA Anthology instead.

And in case you're wondering why I own Medievil and not SFA3, it's because I got Medievil for 10$. :)

jjasper

Yes there needs more love for Street Fighter, I really enjoyed it. Looking back I left some good games off my first list.

Also Metal Gear Digital Novel or whatever it is called is better than any UMD movie released.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Great collection Oneself :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Oneself said:
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4741/goodpspgames5bb.jpg

Nice collection, but it's missing a few games...
like Tales of Eternia, Wipeout Pure, Gripshift, Go Sudoku, Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 and PQ. :D

Man, just looked through my PSP collection and realized I have like 18 PSP games! :lol
I've had a lot of money to spend on games recently, and with my DS sold in anticipation for DS Lite and a lot of time to kill at work, it was unevitable
I mean NO GAMES THERE ARE NO GAMES NOTHING TO SEE HERE

fronn

It's a great time -- the selection of games is very solid (better than DS' if you ask me, by quite a bit), and this years releases hold some of the more promising games to come for any system (it's got me more excited than any other system)

aoi tsuki

While on the topic of buying a PSP, was there any substance to the rumors of a HD-enabled PSP coming out soonish? What about a US release for the white PSP? i've been out of the game for a while.

Y2Kev

Can you guys ignore the troll?

I have also been playing some SOCOM online. It's actually sweet. 16 players + voice chat.

jjasper

FunkyChimp said:
fine then tell Lil' Dice to waste his money on a PSP (-_-; ) i'm off, haters

Oh the irony.

Anyway now I guess it is just us "haters," I got a question does anyone know if Powerstone collection will have infrastructure mode?

Top Bottom