• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Phil Spencer actively hurting the Xbox brand at this point?

Is Phil Spencer hurting the Xbox brand at this point?

• Yes

Votes: 256 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 156 24.9%
  • I don't give a shit

Votes: 128 20.4%
  • Yes but I love it!

Votes: 87 13.9%

• Total voters

buenoblue

I used to be a massive Xbox fan and bought them all till the series. OG Xbox and the 360 we're my main platforms. I even thought Phil Spencer was great at first and was gonna turn the Xbox brand around after the disaster if Xbox one.

But I haven't bought a series x and as time goes by Phil is becoming just a douche. Spouting bullshit and never following through. Always promising next year will be the year.

I really think Xbox needs a new head. Some who just wants to focus on making great games and not try and cheat and fool everyone. Just make great games!!! You have the money!!!

ByWatterson

"At this point," LOL

I used to be a massive Xbox fan and bought them all till the series. OG Xbox and the 360 we're my main platforms. I even thought Phil Spencer was great at first and was gonna turn the Xbox brand around after the disaster if Xbox one.

But I haven't bought a series x and as time goes by Phil is becoming just a douche.

Him aside, I still recommend a Series X just for back-compat classics which are mind-blowing on the X. That plus Age of Empires on console (it's SO good), and I have zero regrets. Great console, just an awful current first-party software lineup.

Last edited:
7zt0xb.jpg

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I don’t know how it’s possible to look at the situation now versus 2014 and think it’s somehow worse but every opinion is valid I suppose.

He has acquisition madness syndrome when they should have stopped at Bethesda (arguably at Obsidian ) and actually managed what they already have.
I mean, where the fuck was gears in that leak.
The leak is about Bethesda games… there were no mention of other studios.

Unknown?

"At this point," LOL

Him aside, I still recommend a Series X just for back-compat classics which are mind-blowing on the X. That plus Age of Empires on console (it's SO good), and I have zero regrets. Great console, just an awful current first-party software lineup.
Better get it now because with the discless version you're at the whims of digital store licensing.

solidus12

Yes, and I love it.

Because instead of focusing on traditional gaming, you know releasing great games every now and then, he had to try and buy this whole industry to kill the competition.

So he just got owned big time.

Phil's always sounded like a used car salesman to me and having been in sales I can appreciate a good salesman but he's not even good! The guy has been caught lying way too many times and you can tell when he's embellishing in contrast Peter Moore makes him look like a light weight just imagine him with the full backing of Microsoft, Halo would've NEVER been shown in the state it did under him first party would be a lot better. I don't think people realize how good Phil has it he can literally do whatever he wants and there's just very little creativity in his decisions.

Last edited:

Js562

But I haven't bought a series x and as time goes by Phil is becoming just a douche. Spouting bullshit and never following through. Always promising next year will be the year.

I really think Xbox needs a new head. Some who just wants to focus on making great games and not try and cheat and fool everyone. Just make great games!!! You have the money!!!
You don't have a series x? If you think he is a douche or not the Xbox is great system. I have all the consoles but play mostly on my Xbox. No problems yet even if their hasn't been a lot of exclusives.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I mean, forget about general audience. A lot of people outside our hardcore bubble doesn't give a flying f about Phil, Jim or Tom Warren.

But due to that backside shit-talking he's burning the business bridges with established partners like Larian or Nintendo at this point. And that's a problem for an Xbox brand that will hurt quite a lot in a long run.

Del_X

Game Pass is a good value and I don't give a shit about a "brand"

It's like caring if the steam brand turns to shit or whatever. There is nothing that makes me watery-eyed thinking about my time with Xbox, PlayStation, or whatever plastic heap of shit my games run from.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Like would you rather have Spencer running xbox, even with how much of a clusterfuck this past year has been ... or would you rather have someone like Bob Kottick?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was somewhat for the Bethesda acquisition because i had hoped that MS would throw money at them and help them realize their full potential. Instead, they bungled up redfall and simply couldnt see the glaring flaws in Starfield's design. It's good that they delayed the game by a year, but these design flaws shouldve been apparent back in 2020 exactly 3 years ago, but Phil and the team he's surrounded himself with are not the people who can identify these flaws.

Time to clean house and bring in people who have actually designed games before to run first party studios. So that bullshit games like redfall are cancelled before they even get to production, and flawed games like halo infinite and starfield are given constructive criticism at an early design stage.

Hire Reggie or one of the Playstation execs to run the console business as a console business, not a service business. This aint a service. It's art.

Phil is in a rush forward from which he cannot escape and it is clear that the numbers are very far from the investment made, I do not understand how he still retains his position.

Topher

Gold Member
I was somewhat for the Bethesda acquisition because i had hoped that MS would throw money at them and help them realize their full potential. Instead, they bungled up redfall and simply couldnt see the glaring flaws in Starfield's design. It's good that they delayed the game by a year, but these design flaws shouldve been apparent back in 2020 exactly 3 years ago, but Phil and the team he's surrounded himself with are not the people who can identify these flaws.

Time to clean house and bring in people who have actually designed games before to run first party studios. So that bullshit games like redfall are cancelled before they even get to production, and flawed games like halo infinite and starfield are given constructive criticism at an early design stage.

Hire Reggie or one of the Playstation execs to run the console business as a console business, not a service business. This aint a service. It's art.

I don't think running a console business fits in Microsoft's model long term. The endgame is a service. I don't think either Nintendo or PlayStation execs, past or present, would be a good fit.

Except for Phil Harrison.

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Top Bottom