• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Phil Spencer actively hurting the Xbox brand at this point?

Is Phil Spencer hurting the Xbox brand at this point?

• Yes

Votes: 256 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 156 24.9%
  • I don't give a shit

Votes: 128 20.4%
  • Yes but I love it!

Votes: 87 13.9%

• Total voters

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I think the Xbox brand will be fine even if it stays Microsoft forever.

You don't have to win against Sony or Nintendo, you have to be profitable and find your space. The kicker here is that Microsoft had that at some point with the X360, and lost it.

They'd love to be market leaders but I think Microsoft is the worst brand for that to happen, I think most people realize that as well. They need to negate that with an open approach, like nvme hdd's and keeping things as standard as possible. They make a good job on the controllers, and on the dev mode thing... shit job everywhere else. The bad negates the good in this case.

It also appears to me that going for activision has made things worst for them as it's a very divisive topic, and these leaks haven't made things better. Phil Spencer didn't have a bad image, now he does have a bit. Not to say that it changes anything or that he should resign.

The issue with Xbox stems from him as well, but is mainly down to mismanagement of their IP/companies. He says he'd love to buy Nintendo, the issue is not that (albeit scary) it's what they did with other purchases they did, selling to Microsoft is not a good deal if brand longevity is the objective. In fact I'd say conglomerates are not good at that. Disney has been good at fucking their newly acquired IP as well, Netflix is both bad at building IP and good at canceling it. Microsoft is similarly as mid.

The takeaway is that they're good in everything they're not mid at. main Forza is great, flight simulator is great. They have to stop trying to make games for everyone.

Fable seems great because it doesn't appeal to at least half their userbase. Starfield is also to be commended. They just need more of it.

Forza Horizon is mid. But needed as an entry point/gateway drug for kids.
Xbox exist only because Microsoft want to stop Sony from having too much success. Not in those words of course. And this is not the only time that Microsoft react to another company success. With such a flawed reason to exist, they are one cut away from destruction. Unlike Sony, Nintendo, Sega... Microsoft does not need gaming. And that will always be the problem for Xbox. The all or nothing mentality that they have to make happen, and failed to for more than 20 years now.

Xbox can be a profitable business, but nothing short of a monopoly is interesting for Microsoft. What did Sega do when they found out that they could no longer be a manufacturer? They moved out. When Nintendo was getting destroyed by the PS2? They stopped competing frontally with Sony and found another way, the Wii. When Sony PS VITA failed ? They stopped making portable consoles and let the market to Nintendo. I am curious to know how much money Microsoft lost in the first Xbox and the 360. This is a strength as well as a weakness. Gamepass forced Sony to make the Playstation collection among other things. But Xbox need someone to tell Microsoft that they need to be more concerned about their place in the industry than to do all they can to take Sony's place. Because buying all they can is not what will make it happen, being good in answering the market demands is what they need to do. Sony got there by being the best console for gamers and devs. Why can't Xbox do the same?

Phil Spencer living rent free at Gaf 🤣

Always and forever. I’ll never understand the obsession.

Anyways, no. Xbox today is a much more enticing product than it was before he was given free rein by Nutella. Not as desirable as it was during the 360 era, but an improvement. And it’ll get back there because of moves he’s making.

Not to mention, 99% of gamers don’t even know who Spencer is and don’t care about leaks or “lies” GAF pulls out of their butts.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Jim is experiencing best performance ever… Phil, not so much.

These are not even similar in scale
Bro....wah? Phil is closing the biggest acquisition in gaming history right now. He's created Gamepass: one of the biggest disruptors in gaming history and literally has turned the brand around from almost nuclear disaster. Now Xbox is not only competing but, their at long last being taken seriously with probably the most massive collection of developers and Ip's in all of gaming.

Not trying to sound like a shill here but, what Phil has done is nothing more than stellar. Give my dude his roses, man. He's absolutely beneficial to gaming as a whole. Denying his accomplishments or preteneding they don't exist doesn't change that.

killatopak

I would say his strategy is an enormous gamble. Xbox themselves said that unless they break 100m GP subs by 2027, they would dissolve.

It’s heaven or hell. It’s the reason for all the big acquisition. It’s a last ditch effort. You can say it was Don Mattrick’s fault but I believe he has a certain responsibility why it lead to this point.

Quartermuncher

Neo Member
No? Phil is probably the best thing to happen to the Xbox brand. What's good for the Xbox brand might not be good for Gaming itself though. Given they were spinning thier wheels and unable to compete with the Wii U of all systems, Phil's tenure has caught them up by a lot. I'm not saying it's enough, but they have enough studios so that hopefully Microsoft's Mismanagement won't be an issue.

Flutta

Banned
They just bought ABK because of him. Neogaf is truly delusional.

I mean YOU would be able to buy up AKB if your were in Phil shoes and Nutella gave you $70b. That’s nothing to brag about. Phil works for a 2T company, and for some reason people act like it’s not a big deal. Matter of fact it’s the only reason why Xbox is alive.

Now if Xbox didn’t have that type och backing, Phil and his goons wouldn’t have a job at this point. Dude simply sucks at being a leader, and that’s fact!

But but gamepass…. Gamepass is a money sink, if it where not for MS limited amount of money it wouldn’t work.

Last edited:
Always and forever. I’ll never understand the obsession.

Anyways, no. Xbox today is a much more enticing product than it was before he was given free rein by Nutella. Not as desirable as it was during the 360 era, but an improvement. And it’ll get back there because of moves he’s making.

Not to mention, 99% of gamers don’t even know who Spencer is and don’t care about leaks or “lies” GAF pulls out of their butts.
It is now after hearing about the Activision deal being pretty much done.

Freeman76

Nope, he has done a great job as far as I'm concerned. Initially after that awful Xbox One DRM announce I turned away from MS completely, and now its my platform of choice again like the 360 days.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Bro....wah? Phil is closing the biggest acquisition in gaming history right now. He's created Gamepass: one of the biggest disruptors in gaming history and literally has turned the brand around from almost nuclear disaster. Now Xbox is not only competing but, their at long last being taken seriously with probably the most massive collection of developers and Ip's in all of gaming.

Not trying to sound like a shill here but, what Phil has done is nothing more than stellar. Give my dude his roses, man. He's absolutely beneficial to gaming as a whole. Denying his accomplishments or preteneding they don't exist doesn't change that.
It's not an accomplishment to have windows and azure money to buy whatever you want. Literally anybody could have bought those companies with that money

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I would say his strategy is an enormous gamble. Xbox themselves said that unless they break 100m GP subs by 2027, they would dissolve.

It’s heaven or hell. It’s the reason for all the big acquisition. It’s a last ditch effort. You can say it was Don Mattrick’s fault but I believe he has a certain responsibility why it lead to this point.
I wonder what would happen to the IP at that point. Would ms just keep the devs and reap profit or would they sell off for massive amounts of cash?

If you write me a $70B check, I'll buy you anything.....

It doesn't mean I'm a genius

johnjohn

I mean YOU would be able to buy up AKB if your were in Phil shoes and Nutella gave you $70b. That’s nothing to brag about. Phil works for a 2T company, and for some reason people act like it’s not a big deal. Matter of fact it’s the only reason why Xbox is alive.

Now if Xbox didn’t have that type och backing, Phil and his goons wouldn’t have a job at this point. Dude simply sucks at being a leader, and that’s fact!

But but gamepass…. Gamepass is a money sink, if it where not for MS limited amount of money it wouldn’t work.
This is the delusion i was talking about. Phil has brought Xbox to the highest point they've ever been, and that's a fact, keep on crying about how much money they have, that doesn't change anything.

Last edited:
This is the delusion i was talking about. Phil has brought Xbox to the highest point they've ever been, and that's a fact, keep on crying about how much money they have, that doesn't change anything.

So the highest point of Xbox brand is selling less consoles than Xbox One with TWO consoles combined and the weaker/cheaper one selling much more than the "premium" one?

WOW, it didn't take much to get to the highest point...

johnjohn

So the highest point of Xbox brand is selling less consoles than Xbox One with TWO consoles combined and the weaker/cheaper one selling much more than the "premium" one?

WOW, it didn't take much to get to the highest point...
The weaker and less expensive one was always expected to sell more than the premium one... That's literally the whole point of it... Selling less than the Xbox One is another fantasy lol.

drganon

suck-wwe.gif

Flutta

Banned

LMAO !!!

The highest point Xbox has ever been in was the 360 days. Series is lagging behind XBONE!!! Let alone 360.

And this dude is calling me delusional.

And yes thanks to MS massive warchest is what makes Phil a lazy incompetent leader.

So yes it changes everything.
Angry Gi Joe GIF

johnjohn

LMAO !!!

The highest point Xbox has ever been in was the 360 days. Series is lagging behind XBONE!!! Let alone 360.

And this dude is calling me delusional.

And yes thanks to MS massive warchest is what makes Phil a lazy incompetent leader.

So yes it changes everything.
Angry Gi Joe GIF
Keep the salt coming lmfao.. MS is buying up the industry, so you'll have to get invested in the Xbox brand eventually.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I mean, there were a lot of bad choices under his management and the lack of first party games is jarring.
But let’s see what this gen has to offer.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Or remakes of Fallout 1 & 2 with new graphics and a modern interface to bring those games to people that haven't played them, I'm imagining this would be relatively easy/cheap with MS resources. Or they could go all in and bring 1 & 2 into the same style as 3/NV/4 but that would obviously be a massive undertaking, but an easy PR victory.
Amen to that. MS is sitting on a treasure trove of IP.

So far only Quake and Quake 2 have received the royalty treatment from the Bethesda acquisition.

Fuck, I still want Doom 2016 to end up on PC Gamepass so I can get achievements.

Last edited:

Stare-Bear

Banned
Sony PlayStation has changed CEO’s 3 times during the PS4 era.

You need fresh eyes now and again. Phil seems to busy buying Nintendo so he can boast about it on Linkendin

Bungie

In Phil I trust. My gaming experience has only gotten better when he took over during the Xbox One. Gave me a more powerful console because the X1 was bleh, took forced kinect away as well, gamepass, chose great studios to acquire. He gets roasted from a PR standpoint but what he's done for my gaming experience has kept me happy personally.

Last edited:
The guy has delivered great console options and a great platform in GP for people to play a wide range of games affordably. Add the fact he has overseen the largest merger in video game’s history, bringing COD and all Blizzard games to GP as well, you’d have to be very badly mistaken or have to be deliberately misleading to suggest he’s hurt the brand.

Iced Arcade

- acquired Mojang/Minecraft.
- backwards compatibility.
- cross play into Xbox.
- gamepass.
- killed Kinect.
- bought Gears Of War franchise.
- adaptive controller.
- back in the power race.
- decided not to dump money into VR.
- Xbox studios went from 5 studios to 25 (not counting Activision/Blizzard)
- acquiring Activision.
Etc 💁

I can't stand Phil's bullshit fake Kumbaya talks and think he just need to shut up BUT he kinda got a few good ones under his belt. I get why a certain demographic hates him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom