• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Resident Evil 6 an objectively bad game, or just a bad Resident Evil game?

oni-link

The general consensus seems to be that Resident Evil 6 is a bad game, but there are a vocal group who praise it and it's mechanics as being some of the best in any third person shooter

Normally I wouldn't really read much into this, but there was also a vocal group of people who heaped praise on Vanquish and Binary Domain, and both of those games are fantastic, so from my perspective when a vocal minority praise a 3rd person shooter, it tends to be good

Is Resident Evil 6 considered a bad game because it's a bad Resident Evil game? Or is it a bad video game full stop?

If you judge the game simply as a third person shooter/action game, is it still a bad game?

I've played 4 (loved it) and 5 (enjoyed it) but decided to skip 6 at the time, so what do you think GAF, is it worth playing?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Neither really, it's a fantastic game that has a huge amount of content, sometimes to its own detriment. The gameplay was amazing. Bosses, not so much, but I wouldn't call it bad at all. This is Resident Evil. We don't get to choose what is and isn't Resident Evil. It is what the creators say it is, we just have to deal with it.

6 is amazing!

It's worth playing because it has the best combat system and enemy variety of any third person shooter.

It has some rough scripted parts of the campaign, but even skipping those there is plenty of good parts to play through with it's amazing combat.

Eggbok

Bad Resident Evil game.
Good action/third-person shooter.
I prefer RE5 though, has a special place with me since it was my first Resident Evil game.

A lot of stuff in it like level design, QTE's, vehicle sections, story are straight bad by any standards.

I was never on the "good game, bad RE game" line of thought anyway. I like old and new RE games.

Nothing is objectively bad. RE6 has amazing combat. Legitimately one of the best feeling 3rd person action games I've ever played.

Besides perhaps a few bits and pieces from Leon's campaign, it's a bad RE game just like RE4 and RE5.

Yes, I know I just totally posted an unpopular opinion regarding RE4. While I do believe it is a great game, it isn't a great RE game. The series has pretty much gone downhill since it came out and established the new direction.

TheGhostSix

Neo Member
I think it's a pile of burning trash regardless of how you look at it.

It's a bad horror game, clearly.

The clunky controls, weird camera, incoherent level design and gameplay combined with bad QTE and nonsense story also kill any chance of it being a good action/whatever-kind-of-genre game.

Ryuukan

Most people got a terrible impression of RE6 due to the demo

which imo, was probably the worst section of the game

Lingitiz

It's just trash. Bad shooting with horrible enemy reactions, awful pacing and garbage campaigns, QTE filled sequences everywhere, atrocious linear design that has none of the survival horror elements of the franchise.

I can see why some people enjoy mercs in this game, but everything else about it is pure garbage. It's a bad game.

T.O.P

Banned
Outside of the scripted events/driving sections the game is a blast to play

I've spent around 40 hours on Mercs Mode alone...the main campaign itself goes from fantastic all the way to terrible really fast but i really enjoyed my time with it

MMaRsu

Banned
Besides perhaps a few bits and pieces from Leon's campaign, it's a bad RE game just like RE4 and RE5.

Yes, I know I just totally posted an unpopular opinion regarding RE4. While I do believe it is a great game, it isn't a great RE game. The series has pretty much gone downhill since it came out and established the new direction.

Sigh. Re4 is not a bad re game. Maybe not your style, but code veronica gameplay was never going to cut it.

Carbonox

While it's all well and good that it plays decently and has some interesting mechanics, just about every single other element of the game is rancid. Pacing, set pieces, level design, shockingly shit QTEs/scripted events and the overall structure of the game. It's a mess. Capcom literally threw everything at the wall and whatever stuck they threw in to the game. Whatever fell to the floor they thought fuck it best stick that in too.

Jawmuncher

It's not the most perfectly polished experience, but I still think it get's more flack than it deserves. A lot of people seem to write it off over not knowing the controls and it being too much action compared to older RE games. I still consider it overall a good RE game, but really everything in the mainline series to me is worth playing. Since they all have their high's and lows anyway. About the biggest complaint's I can give to it are the vehicle sections and a few parts here and there. Overall I think the campaign is fine, though it could have used some trimming.

Zareka

I had a blast with 6 in co-op. Sure, sure, co-op makes most games better, but I legitimately enjoyed the combat. I played some of the horde mode on my own and it was fun.

It's nothing spectacular but it's worth a shot IMO. It's certainly not lacking in variety.

I think if I played the game at the same age I played a similarly overstuffed and flawed game like Sonic Adventure (which I hold in high regard) I would've been more tolerant of it.

I appreciate the work put into the game, but it just feels like a lacking experience. Local Co-op is especially poor, with a HUGE hit to the graphics that actually make things in the game difficult to make out.

For what it was worth, felt Chris has the strongest campaign by far. Nothing about the other two campaigns was memorable. At least Chris' had a great finale. Simmons was a poor stand in for a late game villain, and for once I think we're at the point where the world can't take another RE storyline that's just "uh oohhhh another virus broke out!"

Give me the Umbrella corporate wheelhouse simulator that us RE fans want.

Rambler

It's got good 3rd person shooter mechanics but then the campaign does everything in its power to not let you play a 3rd person shooter. Mercenaries mode is great because they just let you play.

What really sucks is how all these fun mechanics are going to be thrown out the window because they interfere with "atmosphere and immersion" or some shit.

Coolade

My friend and I played through RE5 co-op on PC last year and loved it.
We start up resident evil 6 and we play about 1 hour before we stop and never touched it again. Awful. Besides the bugs and bad textures there's just something off about the game.

A complaint I've never understood about 6 was that the story was bad. Like, have any of you guys played a Resident Evil game? The story has never been good. Even the campy B stories are often mostly terrible. But that's the fun. I'm there to see dumb shit happen, and a guy transforming into a T-Rex because of an injection is fucking hilarious.

keidashxd

The basic mechanics are fun, shoot on the head and getting close to punch or kick works perfect... but the campaigns (3...) are long, boring and completely uninspired.

Ryuukan

people saying bad/garbage campaign either got rid of the game before reaching Ada's campaign or they played through RE6 on metacritic

PillarEN

I'm in it for the campaign(s). They sucked. Specifically got the game so I could play with my sister. After the Leon campaign (which was shit) I told her "let me go buy RE5 so we can have some fun". And we did. I went on to play through the other RE6 campaigns because I spent full price on it. European full price. I don't plan on ever playing that game again.

I hated that it was hard to tell if the enemies were taking damage during the campus for Leon's campaign. When I shoot enemies in 4 and 5 there is a clear reaction. A response. RE6 didn't give any tactile feedback.

Bl@de

Its a bad Resident Evil Game.

Its a bad tps horror game.

Its a bad horror game.

Its a bad game.

Its bad.

There is nothing to add here. Resident Evil 6 is simply a bad game that drags on for way too long (campaign took me 20-25h)

Jawmuncher

I hope more people give RE6 a chance with this upcoming rerelease, and that RE7 doesn't drop the gameplay mechanics from it.

Zojirushi

In my opinion it's just plain terrible no matter how you look at it. Like, just look at the Chris campaign, how is that not the worst 3rd person/cover based shooter anyone here has ever played? GOD this game is crap :(

Scotia

Banned
Fucking terrible game through and through. I'll never play it again. If 7 is even a little bit like it then I won't play that either.

A complaint I've never understood about 6 was that the story was bad. Like, have any of you guys played a Resident Evil game? The story has never been good. Even the campy B stories are often mostly terrible. But that's the fun. I'm there to see dumb shit happen, and a guy transforming into a T-Rex because of an injection is fucking hilarious.

RE4 and Rev2 leverage camp and horror in a very entertaining way. RE6 is just campy and boring and bad.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bad game. It's got some crazy good mechanics and a decent amount of content. It lacks good enemy design, good level design and a coherent story, replacing them with 'cinematic' moments and QuickTime events. I would call it a (highly) flawed game that was made with care, but not much common sense put into it.

Edit: like a certain other Capcom game released in 2008. Get your head straight Capcom!

Saying RE6 combat is garbage is like saying God Hand combat is garbage.

mKJipZs.png

I dunno seems pretty bad to me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty clear in here who understood how to play the game and grasped the gameplay concepts and who didn't.

I'd say it's a great third person shooter and awesome to play coop.

As a survival or a fear game? Pretty shitty, though much better than RE5 IMO.

Top Bottom