• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is San Franscisco really having feces problem?

Barsinister

Banned
San Francisco is a filthy place. Coming off of the Bart into downtown and the smell of human waste is overpowering. Walked down the Tenderloin into Japan Town with my daughter. It looked like a bomb had gone off. I don't really see the appeal of it outside of the more touristy places.

I've seen it myself but only downtown. When I stayed at the Hilton at Union Square my view was a side street. All the bums pulled out mattresses into the side walks and slept there at night. The air smelled like piss down that street in the morning and the mattresses tucked into the allies. The homeless were all high as fuck taking hits off weed not even asking for shit like they do here in my city. There were turds in the weirdest of places. It was not unlike Washington D.C.

I'd still go there again this time for vacation. The area around Haight and Ashbury was fantastic and clean. Going to Amoeba Music was a treat and I wish I could have spent all day there but alas I was there for work.

How can anyone say republicans are evil when San Francisco who are super fucking liberal let this happen

they need someone to blame. its almost crazy how bad they are handling this situation too and now no one really talks about their colossal fuck up. turns out if they try to fix it, it wouldnt be about actually helping people but more about their image

Last edited:

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Recently returned from holiday in America, and the sheer amount of homeless was absolutely shocking to me (especially in SF). Many of these people had severe mental health issues.

I even saw two people passed out in the gutter in the middle of the day due to what I suspect was heroin. It was utterly utterly insane.

I've never been more grateful and prouder to be Australian, and have a new found appreciation for our welfare and health system.

Are SF homeless and drug policies attracting too many homeless and drug addicted people? If so, then the more you do to help those people, the worse the problem will become, because the more of them will show up.

Are SF homeless and drug policies attracting too many homeless and drug addicted people? If so, then the more you do to help those people, the worse the problem will become, because the more of them will show up.

nah it has to do with the tech industry boom. it forced a lot of people out and just made room for rich yuppy scum and the people on the bottom people suffer even more.

MC Safety

nah it has to do with the tech industry boom. it forced a lot of people out and just made room for rich yuppy scum and the people on the bottom people suffer even more.

It's both, honestly.

The liberal policies and relatively warm weather make San Francisco palatable for the homeless. And the lack of affordable housing has compounded the problem.

Cato

Banned
Why is it one of the richest cities in America is struggling with this issue?

Can't the authorities there just build more free public toilets to reduce the public defecation?

Yes it does have these problems.

Public toilets or their availability is not the problem.
The problem is a huge and growing population of homeless people, very very often suffering severe mental illness and very often also severe drug abuse.

I unfortunately worked at ninth and market (twitter.com) for about a year, three years ago.
Feces, needles, urine was all over the sidewalks.
Where the shuttle dropped me off near twitter we would regularely see people injecting, at 9am!, sometimes even see ppeople have intercourse, openly on the sidewalk.
Before you call BS on that, I witnessed it myself personally, twice, on the sidewalk where the bus dropped us off
EDIT: intercourse I saw twice. Injecting I saw daily.

The amount of human suffering can just not be described. Things are not even getting better because any attempt to address it is immediately shut down as hobofobic.

Just over a year ago when I went to meet and greet and say goodbye to old friends and work colleagues before I move back to australia
I noticed that, during middle of the day, normal working day, they now had security/rent-a-cops at every atm on market street. At least between 9'th and 10th.
Middle of the day.

I asked one of these guys if it is really that bad, because I just thought neeing rant-a-cops at an ATM in broad daylight was even worse than when I worked there,
He said there were a lot of robberies. Good luck to him and I hope his flashlight and walkie-talkie will help him if things escalate.

My remaining memory from SanFransisco is the few days you have rain. Rain dilllutes the cakes of urine that covers the sidewalks everywhere.
As soon as it rains, the cakes dissolve and you get this super intense stench of super urine everywhere you go.

You have never known the stench of urine until you have been in SanFransisco
just hours after a light rain.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned

No no really.
Most of Tech is in south-bay. That is about an hour away from SF if you use Google/Apple/Facebook shuttles.
While SOME techies for these big companies do have employees that live and commute from SF they are only an handful.
Most techies live in Sunnyvale, SanJose, Milpitas or Morgan Hill. A lLOT more employee shuttles go there at least for Google.
Once you get promoted a few times you relocate to Cupertino or MtnView.

No no really.
Most of Tech is in south-bay. That is about an hour away from SF if you use Google/Apple/Facebook shuttles.
While SOME techies for these big companies do have employees that live and commute from SF they are only an handful.
Most techies live in Sunnyvale, SanJose, Milpitas or Morgan Hill. A lLOT more employee shuttles go there at least for Google.
Once you get promoted a few times you relocate to Cupertino or MtnView.

nah

Cato

Banned
oh shit thats a thing!?!?!?! also hey man calling someone rent a cop just doin their job is fucked up!

I just made the word up. It seemed appropriate.
I did do talk to the rent-a-cop though and ask him since the concept of having to have a security guard at the ATM, in broad daylight, in the middle of the city, seemed so insanely insane.
It was true though, he guards the people that withdraw money from the atm near ninth and market, during lunch, in broad daylight, because there are too many homeless people robbing them.

On the other hand, it is a great illustration of the great divide.
All Twitter/Google/Apple/Facebook engineers that are all in the 1% (average engineer at twitter /google/facebook/... makes about 300k to 400k when they get some experience (lot of it is in stock grants it does not show up as salary))
Senior enginners would have 500k and upwards or so packages.)

Combine this with people living on dollars per day and you see how the divide works.

I used to think SF was interesting and always wanted to visit, but now it sounds like a shithole to be avoided lol

It's a shame, but also sums up the present pretty well, liberals talk a big alk about social justice and yet one of their main mechas is overflowing with homeless.

Is it me or is America turning into that one episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9 where they travel back in time to 2024?

Cato

Banned

I Iived in south bay, commuting to Twitter, for a year.
I spend 5 years in south bay working for google.
My wife spent 5 years in south bay working for apple.

I think I am qualified to talk about where the techies in sillicon valley work and where they live.

Hissing Sid

Ah, the song makes total sense now.

If I’m going to San Franscisco, I’ll deffo be sure to wear some flowers in my hair.

Portland is on its way there as well. The Police Union President even released a statement recently regarding it:

http://www.kptv.com/story/38658776/...president-has-strong-words-for-portland-mayor

“Our City has become a cesspool. Livability that once made Portland a unique and vibrant city is now replaced with human feces in businesses doorways, in our parks, and on our streets. Aggressive panhandlers block the sidewalks, storefronts, and landmarks like Pioneer Square, discouraging people from enjoying our City. Garbage-filled RVs and vehicles are strewn throughout our neighborhoods. Used needles, drug paraphernalia, and trash are common sights lining the streets and sidewalks of the downtown core area, under our bridges, and freeway overpasses. That's not what our families, business owners, and tourists deserve.​
Mayor Wheeler's public policies have failed. Record tax revenues are being brought into the City; yet what do we have to show for it? I am incensed that once again the Mayor has thrown Portland Police Officers under the bus instead of saying what we all know to be true: that his proposed solutions to our homelessness crisis have failed. What we need is for our City and County leaders to take responsibility for this crisis getting out of hand. They need to put forth actual solutions with actual results and stop throwing hard-earned taxpayer dollars down a black hole.​
True to form, instead of standing up and leading, Mayor Wheeler has reverted to the, "Is there some sort of profiling or implicit bias by the cops" rhetoric to smokescreen his own failed policies. Will investigating our officers result in more housing for the homeless? Will it provide more mental health or addiction resources for those in need? Will it resolve the livability issues that Portland residents and business owners face daily? Of course not! It's more of the same from the Mayor; failed policies and blaming others for his failures.​
The Portland Police Bureau have not been given nearly enough resources to fulfill its small piece in addressing the homelessness crisis. We are understaffed. Officers are unable to spend the time needed to connect our homeless to necessary services, whether it be housing, mental health services, drug rehabilitation, or other resources. It's a recipe for failure to put the burden of the homelessness solution on the Police Bureau's shoulders and then give us insufficient resources to do the work.​
The rank and file of the Portland Police Bureau are working tirelessly to improve livability in our City, preserve public safety, and connect our vulnerable communities to social services. We are the first line resource on the streets serving the public-including the homeless-every day with care and professionalism. The fact that our officers have become the scapegoats for Mayor Wheeler's failed public policies aimed at solving our homelessness crisis is insulting.​
Portland Police Officers deserve better. Our families and communities deserve better. Our businesses deserve better. Our City deserves better!”​

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Here's what Finland did

https://www.theguardian.com/housing...d-solved-homelessness-eu-crisis-housing-first
This week’s report by EU housing organisation Feantsa has found every country in the EU in the midst of a crisis of homelessness and housing exclusion – with one exception: Finland.

So how has the country done it? By giving homeless people permanent housing as soon as they become homeless, rather than muddling along with various services that may eventually result in an offer of accommodation.

It’s an idea is being considered in the UK by communities secretary Sajid Javid. We spoke to Juha Kaakinen, chief executive of the Y-Foundation, which provides 16,300 low cost flats to homeless people in Finland, to find out more

lil puff

Most of it is remnants of the dirty hippies. Like a ring around the bathtub.
Love that. LOL

It's funny that the most expensive to live cities have this happening. SF is a beautiful city. I am not sure how they fix this. I think I've read that it has become a destination for the homeless.

Super Mario

Banned
California, while it has its nice places, are mostly ruined by liberal influence. Liberal cities breed crime, drug problems, high taxes, etc. How do intend to maintain their influence? Illegals voting. No thank you.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
California, while it has its nice places, are mostly ruined by liberal influence. Liberal cities breed crime, drug problems, high taxes, etc. How do intend to maintain their influence? Illegals voting. No thank you.
Those negative characteristics are not exclusive to "liberal" cities.

oagboghi2

I lived in SF for close to 10 years and it is 100% true.

There are multiple reasons why, some out if the city's control, but a lot of the reason is just a lack of willpower. Politicians refuse to make any real changes because activists groups are so powerful there, and because of the liberal groups in control there, the police have almost no power there.

There are no penalties for humans shitting on the street. Mind you, if your dog shits on the street, and you don't pick it up, you get a fine. The Bart smells like piss, and homeless people run scams on tourists while Bart police stand 3 feet away outside the Muni gates ticketing people who forget to pay for a 2 dollar ride. I practically lived in Ubers because I was so disgusted by how awful the Bart is.

The drug use is fucking insane. You can smell weed almost anywhere you are downtown. I've walked over needles and crack on my way to work/school. People od at 1pm on the side of the street, and you constantly, constantly, hear ambulances rushing to check on a homeless person to see if they are still alive. I used to believe in "decriminalize all drugs, everything will be fine" fuck that. People will just abuse it more, but now openly.

I won't even get into the tent cities that have exploded in number and the ridiculous rent. It's laughable

It wasn't always like that. When I first arrived SF was just an expensive urban city. It has only gotten worse.

The biggest problem is the attitude people have in the city. " That's just how cities are" is the excuse I heard for years. SF bought into this myth of being a liberal Utopia or whatever, so they refuse to do what is necessary to fix the city, because people see a substantial change in policy as a "conservative" approach, and SF residents and the politicians would rather commit suicide than do something conceived as "conservative"

So that means panhandling is legal pretty much everywhere, selling (certain) drugs openly is okay, loitering is legal. Rent control is maintained, while voters artificially keep housing prices high by voting for regulations that make building new housing very expensive. It's problem on top of problem on top of another problem, and the cherry on top is the human feces that has now become a crisis.

NahaNago

Shouldn't this be like a major health issue for the city if it is this bad. I would think that someone could put the foot down on the city to get it cleaned up and if they don't get fined for it.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
The scum and homeless invading the premier cityies in this country are coming from conservative shit hole towns.
I've got little Alabama one block from me now, setting up their cardboard boxes and air mattresses that are probably nicer than what they had back home.

Liberal cities need to stop being so accepting of the deplorable. If they can't prove they had a residence in our city, send them back from whence they came.

In Manhattan at least, you can tell public sentiment is turning. I think we start fixing it within a few more years.

lil puff

Here in NYC they are actually lightening up on penalties for public urination and quality of life incidents.

They are so overly sensitive and so PC that they don't want to stand by any laws.

I don't see any way around it.

On my way to work, I almost have to step over the homeless 'city within a city'. It's so ridiculous that is acceptable. They literally build their own ecosystem, and they city totally supports them. The public outdoor spaces have become defacto homless shelters, and they even have cellphone charging stations, they have free internet, etc. Must be nice.

Last edited:

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I don't think you can blame just SF for this. It seems like a failure at the national, state and local areas.

And sure it might make things look better if you just push the homeless out of the downtown areas - out of place out of mind - but that won't actually fix the problem!

Last edited:

Barsinister

Banned
The scum and homeless invading the premier cityies in this country are coming from conservative shit hole towns.
I've got little Alabama one block from me now, setting up their cardboard boxes and air mattresses that are probably nicer than what they had back home.

Liberal cities need to stop being so accepting of the deplorable. If they can't prove they had a residence in our city, send them back from whence they came.

In Manhattan at least, you can tell public sentiment is turning. I think we start fixing it within a few more years.

You are as subtle as a jackhammer. I like it!

oagboghi2

The "conservative shit holes" like Oakland, Berkeley and San Jose? 🤣🤣🤣.

"Send them back where they came from" I'm sure #1 sancturary city San Francisco will get right on that.

This is the type of fucking denial I'm talking about.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
The "conservative shit holes" like Oakland, Berkeley and San Jose? 🤣🤣🤣.

"Send them back where they came from" I'm sure #1 sancturary city San Francisco will get right on that.

This is the type of fucking denial I'm talking about.

I'm down for protecting foreign immigrants, legal or not. They bring value, culture and a willingness to work.

The homeless encampments, and charging stations aren't filled with migrants, they're filled with vagrants from conservative towns who refuse to take care of their own. Public sentiment is turning against them.

Last edited:

lil puff

Weren't they even bussing them in from conservative towns at one point? Literally shipping them off to cities.

KevinKeene

Banned

Man, either your English really sucks or this is one of the more hateful postings I've seen on the internet this ... week.

LOLCats

Banned
You should see the new mayors campaign platform on homeless and city cleanliness issues. Then see thier last comments just 2 days after they sworn in.... "non profits need to pick up the slack"...

Honestly just trash. The city will be way worse after a couple years of the new mayors term. That is if they don't quit before then...

San Fran is disgusting and no one wants to visit there anymore.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Weren't they even bussing them in from conservative towns at one point? Literally shipping them off to cities.

South Park comes through once again

The Boys:
California
Cartman:
is nice to the homeless
Californ-ya-ya
Super cool to the homeless

The Boys:
In the city
Cartman:
City of Santa Monica
Lots of rich people giving change to the homeless