• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sega getting ready to announce Valkyria Chronicles 3?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Torillian said:
Well I don't really thinks it's a comparable situation because the series was on PS3 and then went to PSP so those asking for it on PS3 just want it back kind of like how Wii fans were unhappy about RE5 being on the HD consoles when RE4 was such a big game for Gamecube and later for the Wii. I find this far less annoying than people who think every single Japanese game should go to 3DS or complaining that every random game that has no series history on their console didn't randomly go to their console of choice. This goes both ways, and people complaining about NBA Jam not coming to the HD consoles are as guilty as those who whine about Street Fighter IV not being on Wii. Not every game can come to the console you want it to, and there's no point in crying over milk spilt years ago when the game started development.

I think those things are all annoying.

Games come out on the consoles they come out on; platform choices are a mixture of publisher business strategy and developer visioner and platform ease of development and incentives from platform holders.

People should buy hardware based on software rather than vice versa, so if a ton of games come out on a system you don't want, it becomes a system that you do want.

I think probably the only case where platform bitching makes any sense is when a game is announced for a given platform and is yanked last minute and someone buys the platform for the game. But the lesson there is not to buy hardware based on future potential instead of current games.

mclem

3DS makes a lot of sense to me, being able to use the touch-screen for tactical factors and the upper screen for the actual movement, along with easily being powerful enough to make use of the engine the PSP version had provided it was written in a portable form.

But I'll take it on anything, Valkyria has a special place in my heart, and more games using that tactical/third person design is A Good Thing.

Takao

Banned
ZoddGutts said:
Pretty much. In Japan VC2 sold slightly better but was it really a smart choice to put it on the PSP considering it's going to bomb in the U.S. like pretty all PSP games these days do. VC1 didn't exactly light up the charts in the U.S. but it ended up selling decently well thanks due to good word of mouth on the game and the slash price to 40 bucks also help.

Niche games do well for themselves on the PSP in the west. Guess what VC is?

Not that I think it'll sell to the amount the first one did. But unless they announce the third game for a non-cellphone platform, it should do ok for itself.

Not that I even care, I really disliked the first one, and the demo for the second one told me "nothankyou".

Sipowicz said:
even peacewalker tanked in the us. a good solution to keeping costs low while still avoiding piracy issues would be to release it on PSP in japan and 3DS worldwideas a launch title

it wouldn't cost tha much to make and it'd sell loads

It really should have been a PSN/PSP game. I bet most of the PS3 audience would have bought it as a DL title.

Sipowicz

Banned
JudgeN said:
I would hope they would give PS3 another shot, its just a shame to see that engine not get put to use.

the PSP game looks really good, and i dont see why they should give PS3 a chance when it's already screwed them. multiplatform maybe, but PS3 exclusive would be suicide

3DS could be good as they could port it to PSP in japan and they'd be able to capitalise on the launch hype. lots of games have done that, even shit ones

Host Samurai said:
It really should have been a PSN/PSP game. I bet most of the PS3 audience would have bought it as a DL title.

tbh they should let you play PSP games on your PS3 (especially since you need a PS3 to play them online anyway). they're dumb though so they dont let you

daoster

Sipowicz said:
the PSP game looks really good, and i dont see why they should give PS3 a chance when it's already screwed them. multiplatform maybe, but PS3 exclusive would be suicide

Why exactly would it be suicide? PSP VC2 sold a little bit better than PS3 VC1 in Japan, and I wouldn't bet on the PSP version of VC2 in America or elsewhere to match the PS3 sales abroad...

If anything, they were too focused on getting more sales in Japan, they've kinda doomed VC2 abroad...(though I'll still buy it of course, cause I need to fix my craving).

Sipowicz

Banned
daoster said:
Why exactly would it be suicide?

because it would cost loads to make and it wouldn't sell that much. i'm assuming that's why they moved it off the PS3 in the first place

there's an english demo of vc2 out if you want to try it. it's pretty good

Torillian

Neo Member
Sipowicz said:

I don't remember any statements by Sega saying that they were dissapointed or felt "screwed" by sales, only that they were quite happy with word of mouth and overall sales.

What are you basing this off of?

mintylurb

Bring Selvaria back!!

vc03.jpg

daoster

Sipowicz said:
because it would cost loads to make and it wouldn't sell that much. i'm assuming that's why they moved it off the PS3 in the first place

I assume that the costs would be significantly lower than the original, since they've already got the CANVAS engine in place.

And, I'd bet you that a VC2 in America and Europe probably would have sold better than the PSP version.

For Japan? Like I said, last I checked (though admittedly it was awhile back), it's outsold VC1, but not by much.

And yeah, I downloaded the demo for VC2 already...good stuff, and I am looking forward to it.

duckroll

Sipowicz said:

Then your assumption is wrong. They specifically outlined by the sequel was on the PSP. They wanted to get a new game out as soon as possible after the first one, and it would be faster to achieve that on the PSP. They had to do so to capitalize on the anime being released, and they also wanted to see if they could attract a broader audience to the franchise with a PSP title since the PSP is popular among younger teens. This is the same reason why Peace Walker and the new RgG spinoff are on the PSP as well.

The producer has specifically said that in future the franchise will continue on both PSP and PS3, and they have no intentions of abandoning one platform for the other. It's all a matter of timing and planning of production schedules.

ezekial45

Banned
ezekial45 said:
For those that have played it, how is the second game? How is it different from the first game and how much content did they add?

I'm seriously considering buying a psp just for VC2.

Anyone?

Sipowicz

Banned
duckroll said:
Then your assumption is wrong. They specifically outlined by the sequel was on the PSP. They wanted to get a new game out as soon as possible after the first one, and it would be faster to achieve that on the PSP. They had to do so to capitalize on the anime being released, and they also wanted to see if they could attract a broader audience to the franchise with a PSP title since the PSP is popular among younger teens. This is the same reason why Peace Walker and the new RgG spinoff are on the PSP as well.

The producer has specifically said that in future the franchise will continue on both PSP and PS3, and they have no intentions of abandoning one platform for the other. It's all a matter of timing and planning of production schedules.

sorry. i thought it was because they were dissapoitned with the sales, which lets face it weren't that hot

i've always wondered why peacewalker was PSP exclusive though.thanks for clearing that up

duckroll

Sipowicz said:
yeah, the demo was quite cool

as for putting it on the PS3 i'm assuming that they would have done that with VC2 if they thought it was financially viable. PSP games cost a pittance to make compared to PS3 games so the PSP version could end up being more profitable despite it selling less (which it inevitably will). hell the original only sold 33k opening moneth in america so it hardly set the world on fire

they need to sell more copies while keeping development costs at an acceptable level. it's a question of how

Stop assuming, and stop making up shit. In fact, if you want to make shit up, stop posting altogether.

Sipowicz

Banned
duckroll said:
Stop assuming, and stop making up shit. In fact, if you want to make shit up, stop posting altogether.

i edited it. like i said i didn't realise they'd provided justification for their decisions seperately

Torillian

Neo Member
Pureauthor said:
Her pieces are scattered halfway across the continent.

They should put her back together and make VC3 all about fighting off the impending Zombie horde that ensues from trying to play God.

Or I guess it could be a prequel, but I like my idea better.

duckroll

Sipowicz said:
i edited it. like i said i didn't realise they'd provided justification for their decisions seperately

Well, I also think it's very foolish to say that PSP development is automatically cheaper than PS3 development. There is no such thing as a fixed development cost for every game on a particular system. For example, Nippon Ichi developing Disgaea 3 on the PS3 most definitely cost way, way less than Konami developing Peace Walker on the PSP, or Square Enix developing any of their major PSP titles.

Developing Valkyria 2 on PSP probably didn't save them a huge amount of money. It was certainly cheaper and faster to make, but considering both titles sold over 100k in Japan, it would have been profitable on either platform. Nippon Ichi has also announced that Disgaea 4 would be on the PS3, just like Disgaea 3 was, even though after Disgaea 3 they released (and are still releasing) a string of PSP titles. Obviously that is not an indication that they were disappointed with the PS3 sales or that it wasn't profitable. It's just a matter of exploring how to expand the fanbase, and also to manage production schedules.

Tensai

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, I also think it's very foolish to say that PSP development is automatically cheaper than PS3 development. There is no such thing as a fixed development cost for every game on a particular system. For example, Nippon Ichi developing Disgaea 3 on the PS3 most definitely cost way, way less than Konami developing Peace Walker on the PSP, or Square Enix developing any of their major PSP titles.

Developing Valkyria 2 on PSP probably didn't save them a huge amount of money. It was certainly cheaper and faster to make, but considering both titles sold over 100k in Japan, it would have been profitable on either platform. Nippon Ichi has also announced that Disgaea 4 would be on the PS3, just like Disgaea 3 was, even though after Disgaea 3 they released (and are still releasing) a string of PSP titles. Obviously that is not an indication that they were disappointed with the PS3 sales or that it wasn't profitable. It's just a matter of exploring how to expand the fanbase, and also to manage production schedules.
They also had to create all new assets and a new engine for VC2 which they wouldn't have to do with a PS3 sequel which would again keep development costs down.

duckroll

Loudninja said:
Are...some of you posting VC1 spoliers?

The original game is 2 years old now, considering how this is a thread about VC3 I would say that anyone who has yet to play the original and actually cares about avoiding spoilers should probably just not read any new Valkyria threads. :p

Loudninja

duckroll said:
The original game is 2 years old now, considering how this is a thread about VC3 I would say that anyone who has yet to play the original and actually cares about avoiding spoilers should probably just not read any new Valkyria threads. :p
True oh well :(
Baha said:
You....should go play VC1.
I am going to :)

Boney

Banned
duckroll said:
Well I haven't played the first one, but plan on jumping in on 2. So I don't really mind the spoilers, but they're still there.

Hmm I guess a return to PS3 would be for the best.

Suzuki Yu

XiaNaphryz said:
Christ, I hope you guys also don't complain about the people who keep asking for stuff to come out on the Wii.

i have all the systems of this generation , i got the PSP specifically for VC2 , but i would prefer the 3rd game to be on PS3 , i was a little upset when VC2 first announced for PSP .

it makes sense to me because the game did look amazing on PS3 and the maps were larger and better , not to mention the dialog option .
so i don't know why would anyone want this game on PSP ?? or other inferior (portable) platform ??

RJT

duckroll said:
You can have it too if you want.
:lol

About the topic: I have yet to play VC1, but I thought the demo was quite interesting. And damn, was the game gorgeous. I'm not usually a fan of JRPG art, but the style was awesome.

Do Want. I need to finish VC1. Will buy VC2 whenever I ever Finish the first :lol. I hope they announce it during TGS. Definitely keep the art style. I like it.

lol is it the "in thing" to say something based on no facts whatsoever, because I can cook up a shitstorm of them facts and blow you all away.

Anyway hope it's for PS3 and hope it's announced at TGS.

Hobbun

Suzuki Yu said:
i have all the systems of this generation , i got the PSP specifically for VC2 , but i would prefer the 3rd game to be on PS3 , i was a little upset when VC2 first announced for PSP .

it makes sense to me because the game did look amazing on PS3 and the maps were larger and better , not to mention the dialog option .
so i don't know why would anyone want this game on PSP ?? or other inferior (portable) platform ??

Well, the glaring reason is because they are portable. Meaning, you can take them with you. Kind of hard to do that with a PS3.

But also, some people just prefer to play on a portable device. I am not one of those. I don’t hate portables by any means, I have many portable games I love and enjoy, but I play my handhelds at home, anyways, so if I am going to play at home, I would prefer to have them on my home consoles.

However, I understand and respect those who do prefer handheld devices.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Tensai said:
It's either PS3 or bust. If it comes out on 3DS or PSP or Wii I really hope it flops so that they won't repeat the same mistake three times in a row.
Fanboys are terrible.

Hoping for another PSP version. JRPGs on Handhelds are heavily. System Suspend+Portable is fantastic for those 20-30hour+ titles.

Lain

A new Valkyria Chronicles game would make me really happy. I'd prefer it on the PS3, but I'd take it on the PSP as well (played the demo for the second and loved it).
As long as they keep the atmosphere and style these games have, I'll never complain.

Suzuki Yu

Hobbun said:
Well, the glaring reason is because they are portable. Meaning, you can take them with you. Kind of hard to do that with a PS3.

even if the game wasn't as great as the first one ?
i am not saying that VC2 is bad or anything because i only played the demo but you can already notice the limitation very clearly . not only in term of tech but also the map issues .

Top Bottom