• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is selling and buying used games still a big thing?

Importance of buy-sell used games

• Still relevant to me

Votes: 120 69.8%
  • Dont care TLDR

Votes: 52 30.2%

• Total voters

longdi

Banned
With digital stores and digital discounts and even digital game pass?
Imo as i grow older, with more stable income and lesser time, i dont care about buying too many physical games and to take time meeting up to transact pre-owned games.

Kumomeme

Obviously. I dont know if it depend on country at least at my place there active group for that and there even store actively accepting and selling those copies.

Especially for those who cant access fast internet to download the game.

Not to mention it already kind of become 'tradition' of selling finished game to buy another game to play next as a way for the players to be able control and 'recycle' their gaming budget. Not everyone has steady income.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
It's a very important part of the gaming ecosystem and drives a lot of the sales of new games that would otherwise be unaffordable to many.

This is what a lot of publishers and gaming enthusiasts don't get. Many purchases of new games are afforded via the trade in and/or sale of older games whether it be in-store, via online market places such as ebay, or via private sales. The second hand market makes the hobby affordable and accessible for many, particlularily those in low-income households, whether it be via buying secondhand games or selling them in order to pay for new ones.

Take that away and not only do the publishers get a tighter stranglehold on pricing leading to fewer sales and reductions that typically result from retail competition, but there's less money in the market because a key purchase funding stream has been removed with nothing to replace it.

sublimit

Banned
It's irrelevant whether it's still a big thing or not the important thing is that it's a consumer right that we will soon going to loose forever.

wolffy71

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see companies charging $10 to $20 more for physical copies soon. Games are already to expensive to make and used game market doesnt help.

Zephir

I ALWAYS buy used games or new games for cheap...I love games but I'm not made of money.

With that said, there are always exceptions: Yakuza/Judgement, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc...the games I'm interested in gets insta-preordered.

As for "why not digital", because I can do whatever I want with a physical copy, selling, renting, gifting, make love with it, showing them off on my library...in the year 2050 I'll still be able to plug my consoles on a TV and play that retail game...who knows if in 2050 I'll still have my digital games saved anywhere?

sublimit

Banned
Saying ur losing the right isn't quite right. Its more you wont be purchasing something that can be resold due to its format. Like music or an audiobook.
Ok. It's a format that allows consumers to have one of their most important rights they have but companies do everything they can to remove that right by cleverly luring people to other "locked" and 100% controlled by them formats (digital/streaming).

Better?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just spent 170€ on a MSX2 cartridge with box. Pretty sure it's been used.

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
I'm doing it a lot on my switch.

But otherwise I mostly play MMO's and stick to a small handful of games for a long time. so I don't buy that many games.

supernova8

Banned
Yeah I recently moved house, sold my PS4 and the games on eBay. Didn't get a huge amount but more than I would've received in a games shop and much better than the big fat ZERO I would get if physical games weren't a thing.

MH3M3D

Depends on if you value money higher than time. Some people like having extra cash and take the time to buy and sell used games. Others cant be bothered and see it as too much of a hassle.

Personally Id rather buy Microsoft stock than Microsoft games at full price for example. The stock makes me money and the game costs me money. You get the idea

I only buy games on day 1 if its Cyberpunk caliber, for the rest I wait a few weeks, buy used and resell later. If I really like the game and want to keep replaying it forever, I buy it digitally when its on sale.

Buying a full price game, beating it once and never selling it makes no sense to me. That's also why I'm anti digital-only consoles. What do you do with games you wanted to play ONCE and never play again? Its worth evaporates.

ZywyPL

Banned
There's little to no benefit in buying physical copies nowadays other than the ability to sell the games once you're done with them, which again, by doing so you're leaving yourself with a console and no games to play other than 1-3 titles you are currently/constantly playing, which is fine if you're a lone wolf I guess, but imagine having friends who will come over and say "OMG you have a PS5/XBX, so cool! What games do you have?" - "None...", because you sell the games right after finishing them. Sure, you can keep gathering all ongoing-gen titles and wait with selling them along with the console once new generation arrives and you'll be switching to a new platform, but by that time those games won't be even worth 10 bucks.

Tschumi

For retro consoles, like my ps3. I'm actually at this very moment going to browse a store full of used PS3 games~ for new stuff? Nah~ digital. Hell, most of my PS3 titles are digital from PlayStation store

Sentenza

I don't give a damn. I prefer to buy digital and pay less for my games and I value the time I'd waste to go to the retail store and back more than the 10 bucks or so I'd get out of an used copy, anyway.
Also, I don't like to sell my games in general. I always go back to titles I genuinely enjoyed and I've never been the "Only playing the newest, hottest shit!" type of gamer.

MH3M3D

I don't give a damn. I prefer to buy digital and pay less for my games and I value the time I'd waste to go to the retail store and back more than the 10 bucks or so I'd get out of an used copy, anyway.
Also, I don't like to sell my games in general. I always go back to titles I genuinely enjoyed and I've never been the "Only playing the newest, hottest shit!" type of gamer.

Why go to the store to sell games? You'll get ripped off. And why sell games you want to play more than once? Just sell the ones you wanted to play once and use that money for new games you like.

It'll matter as long as IP holders continue to ignore these old games.

VHS wasn't phased out by keeping every DVD movie in a Disney vault and trickling it out to the public.

I take so long to finish games that they are worth fuck all by the time I come to trade them in. The last console I bought physical for was the WiiU and now I've got a box load of games and nowhere to put them.

longdi

Banned
Obviously. I dont know if it depend on country at least at my place there active group for that and there even store actively accepting and selling those copies.

Especially for those who cant access fast internet to download the game.

Not to mention it already kind of become 'tradition' of selling finished game to buy another game to play next as a way for the players to be able control and 'recycle' their gaming budget. Not everyone has steady income.

Imo it's fair to bring up data caps and slow bandwidth.

These affect a bigger population rather than indiscriminately buying all kinds of games at launch

Aidah

I don't think I've ever sold or bought a used game. Borrow or lend, I used to do that years ago and when I was a kid, however for years now I've only been buying digital and would rather not deal with physical.

So personally I'm not interested in buying/selling used game, nor am I even interested in lending/borrowing, but still glad it's there as an option as it can be an important money saver for some.

FunkMiller

Yes. Because as video games companies become increasingly greedy cunts, it’s important for us gamers to show our lack of appreciation for that attitude.

scydrex

I don't buy used games. I buy them new physical or digital but with discount. If I do not want to keep the game I sell it if it's physical.

SoraNoKuni

Of course, especially for single player games.
I literally can sometimes get a brand new exclusive one week after release for half the price if I look to the right place.
I hope this won't change a lot with the DE consoles.

very relevant to me.
I don`t collect games since I never replay them anyways. That´s why I´m 100% physical and resell all games once I´m done with them.

Reactions: KO7

Roufianos

Absolutely. I buy games new (for £15 less than the digital price) and sell them when I'm done, usually for £5 less than my purchase price.

It makes gaming a very cheap hobby. Obviously I keep games I love and can see myself re-playing and occasionally buy stuff on sale digitally.

Last edited:
It is to me. I'm in my 30's, having videogames displayed proudly is bizarre to me. And for a long time now once I'm done with a game I move on, typically never to return. So it just makes sense to trade them in or sell them and roll it towards the next game.

reinking

Gold Member
It is not just about selling/trading old games. I often pass completed games on to someone else. It is also a way to share games without having to share log in info.

I sell over 99% of games that I play. I don't see the point in cluttering up a room with games I'll never play again. It's the reason I don't buy digital titles very often.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I sell games in bulk usually around the time a new console releases, or, if I'm tight on money. I'll likely be doing this during trade in promotions soon.

Top Bottom