• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony heading in for another PS3-level disaster?

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think 499 euro is to much. With inflation thats lower than 349 in the year 2000.
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head here, iphones used to be 600 euro , now they're over 1000. We get incredible value from our consoles and it sounds like there is some really impressive tech in this. I'd happily pay 500 or so. Just keep bringing the games.
Imagine that .8 second load time, raytracing in a naughty dog game and 3d audio increasing the tension in TLOU2... Gonna be so exciting.

Hinedorf

Banned
The PS3 had a notoriously sluggish start due to its high price and Sony's arrogance. It's wasn't until they cleaned up management, and relaunched the PS3 in 2009 that it started pulling in some real results. Sony had to do a lot of shit to get the PS3 to Retail, and even more to turn ship around when it was floundering. It's a big reason why the company was in such a financial crisis that they're only now starting to recover from.

One of the major issues during the launch between 360 and PS3 what the battle for the future of media between Bluray and HD DVD. Sony took a gamble on the future of media and initially lost at first but have since clearly won because of it.

Dunno how many people have an HD DVD player for the Xbox 360. I do and it's completely wasted shit. Who had the foresight to take the initial loss and crush their opponent in the next generation? Sony. If Microsoft had won the media war, everything would be different right now.

I don't mind the speculating they're going to fall on their butts going forward, but using past history isn't playing in your favor.

PerfectDark

Banned
Sony has a stick up thier butt and MS could take them next gen. I find PS4 to be overrated this gen. I think both MS and Sony put out no exclusive that were worth buying a console for. If your a baseball fan then MLB the show. If you like a good racer then Forza. Not one exclusive this gen screamed buy this consoel for this one game.

I think the ps4 was the better console up until ps4 pro and xb1 x.

I bought a pro the last 3 years just for mlb the show and I sell it when Madden and NBA 2k come out. I didnt buy one this year because Sony is arrogant. I bought all 3 ps4 pros for 300-$350. Some were LE edition with a game or a $50 gift card. I watched ps4 pro for last couple months and not one deal. I refuse to pay max price $400 for a console with 1 year of life left that I bought on release day for $333.

Romulus

$500 is 2020 isn't even in the same realm as $600 in 2007. Not. Even. Close. Do people not understand that $500 is not the same amount of money that it was back then? Inflation is a real thing and it works both ways. There's not some super secret agreement where Sony pays the same price for parts that they did in 2007 or before, prices go up for them too.

This isn't 1999 or 2010 even, we're getting a lot more power, well-rounded power too with no glaring weaknesses like the PS4 with its crap CPU(even at launch) or the PS3 with its shit GPU/memory allocation and terribly awful architecture for coding. God forbid Sony wants to give us a powerful machine and not take a loss on every machine.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The diffrence is that the One X is part of the Xbox One platform. It's just a more expensive, niche option for the current gen Xbox. All Xbox One games are fully playable on both systems, so $500 for an X is easier to stomach for those that want it. Less so with the PS5 since that's going to be a new generation system with exclusive software on it. If you don't have good games, $500 is going to be harder to justify for a next gen mainstream console, just ask Microsoft about that.

Given how games on base Xbox One are performing worse now compared to PS4 vs when they launched, one of the latest DF videos covers it, not sure how they turned it all around for those users... and PS5 looks to be BC with PS4 games... so not seeing your point; easier to stomach more money for a stop gap console than a new generation HW?

Norse

PS5 won't have the development issues PS3 had at launch. If it's $499 at launch and 2X is priced the same and specs are equal, Sony will be fine. So "no" is the the answer to OPs ?

OP not who I thought it was going to be.

Also Xbox One sold 6 or so million at $500 before the price drop so I don't think Sony is being arrogant. We are heading to a big tech jump. The Pro PS4 had to be $400 for any reasonable margin or to break even, Xbox One X had to be $500. These consoles are going to be at least 50-75% whole percentile stronger or 200-300% overall percentile stronger, If PS5 is $500 that's just the time we are in techwise. Sony isn't going to risc another money disaster selling at a significant or massive loss. Another PS3 catastrophe would likely be the end of Sony,.

Romulus

I find PS4 to be overrated this gen.

You're in the extreme minority though.

Numbers don't lie, nearly 100 million sold is a strong indication that the machine wasn't overrated for the overwhelming majority. It had strong sales consistently. New IPs like Horizon outsold most of the Halo sales and that was MS's golden egg, and God of War and Uncharted sales were through the roof just to name a few.

Racer!

After the red hot success of the first two systems, Sony went into the PlayStation 3 with an inflated ego and a $600 price tag. The bloated, over-designed, and needlessly difficult to program for nightmare that Sony arrogantly insisted you work two jobs for, destroyed the company's reputation and momentum in the console market, and with an initial lack of games to justify the tech, Sony had a hard time selling PS3s as they were regularly getting their ass handed to them by both Microsoft's Xbox 360 and especially Nintendo's Wii. They eventually turned ship around later in the system's life, but it's hard to deny that the first 3 or so years of the PS3 were a rough ride for PlayStation fans.

Now Sony is back on top with the PlayStation 4. Being an affordable, simple, and focused product that righted every wrong of the PlayStation 3, and took advantage of the floundering Nintendo and Microsoft, to dominate the console race for much of the generation. Now, we're nearing the end of the system's main life cycle (It'll still get supported years after PS5), and that dominance Sony held on to for the 8th gen is slipping. Microsoft has cleaned house on management, and has slowly turned the Xbox One into a solid product with a lot of great games. And Nintendo is back in the spotlight with the Switch, regularly selling on par with, and in many cases beating the PS4 each month in the US.

There are signs that Sony is starting to get cocky with their success with the PS4. First with new SIE management implimenting new puritanical content guidelines for Japanese developers, and now with rumors of the PS5 being $500, which while not as bad as the $600 monstrosity of the PS3, is still too expensive for a gaming platform. With this I'm worried Sony is going to end up right back at square one with the PS5, a disasterous reveal and launch that fails to make a splash. And if Sony doesn't play their cards right, developers could very well distance themselves from the PS5 and put more focus on the Xbox Scarlett and even the Switch to an extent. I don't want this to be the case, and neither do you, so I'm hoping Sony makes it out alright in the end, but I am a bit worried about the PS5 at this point. It may not be as bad as the early PS3 days, but it could very well be a disaster if Sony doesn't put their best foot forward, especially now that their contemporaries aren't as incompetent now as they used to be.

Problem with PS3`s 599$ price tag, was that it wasnt impressive enough compared to Xbox 360. If they can back up PS5 499$ with impressive enough tech, its gonna sell like hotcakes. It all about value.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Is the OP serious? Sony learned from the PS3 situation in terms of taking to much of a financial risk and selling a Console that they had to eat to much of the cost. That won't happen again and hence PS4. The way it was selling was not the real issue as ps3 outsold Xbox almost every single month upon its release even at a 600 price tag.

Sony will make a 500 console, will eat a minor part of the cost and they will be fine imo.

Sony is in an interesting position right now. The PS5 will be more powerful but use the same time of media jacks, formats, and software as the PS4 and we haven't had any replacements for any of these since 2006 and 2009 for the others. HDR still uses codec EH3 and our 4K TV cables are just swaps of regular Full HD cables with a higher speed tip. Then you have Blu-Ray and the same chip set-up for bis boot.

Lack of evolution in all these areas and more are going to cause gaming consoles prices to go up overtime like phones because there's no innovations to replace them with new things. Microsoft being a computer company has more options than Sony to get around that, same with Nintendo which can still aim for the toy market when things go south. Sony really doesn't have many options.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Problem with PS3`s 599$ price tag, was that it wasnt impressive enough compared to Xbox 360. If they can back up PS5 499$ with impressive enough tech, its gonna sell like hotcakes. It all about value.

Just wrong, it was way more impressive, it had a bluray player at the time when bluray players standalone was like 800 for the cheapest. Ps3 had true stereoscopic 3D capability, 7.1 surround capability and other stuff 360 didnt have out the gate. Not to mention at 600 it outsold the cheaper Xbox almost every single month worldwide which is why it caught up after launching a year and a half later. Let's also not forget the padded rrod numbers Xbox had.

Price played a part but value wasn't the issue it was tht Sony wasn't making profit off of each one sold into a few years in bcus it was too expensive on their end.

Last edited:

Racer!

Just wrong, it was way more impressive, it had a bluray player at the time when bluray players standalone was like 800 for the cheapest. Ps3 had true stereoscopic 3D capability, 7.1 surround capability and other stuff 360 didnt have out the gate. Not to me tuon at 600 it outsold the cheaper Xbox almost every single month worldwide which is why it caught up after launching a year and a half later, not to me tuon the padded rrod numbers Xbox had.

Price played a part but value wasn't the issue it was tht Sony wasn't making profit off of each one sold into a few tears in bcus it was too expensive on their end.

Thats not enough value to the gamer....people buy games consoles to play games...blu ray player and niche 7.1 surround sound wont make a dent. Had it provided a substantial leap in gameplay or graphics....thats value to gamers.

After the red hot success of the first two systems, Sony went into the PlayStation 3 with an inflated ego and a $600 price tag. The bloated, over-designed, and needlessly difficult to program for nightmare that Sony arrogantly insisted you work two jobs for, destroyed the company's reputation and momentum in the console market, and with an initial lack of games to justify the tech, Sony had a hard time selling PS3s as they were regularly getting their ass handed to them by both Microsoft's Xbox 360 and especially Nintendo's Wii. They eventually turned ship around later in the system's life, but it's hard to deny that the first 3 or so years of the PS3 were a rough ride for PlayStation fans.

Now Sony is back on top with the PlayStation 4. Being an affordable, simple, and focused product that righted every wrong of the PlayStation 3, and took advantage of the floundering Nintendo and Microsoft, to dominate the console race for much of the generation. Now, we're nearing the end of the system's main life cycle (It'll still get supported years after PS5), and that dominance Sony held on to for the 8th gen is slipping. Microsoft has cleaned house on management, and has slowly turned the Xbox One into a solid product with a lot of great games. And Nintendo is back in the spotlight with the Switch, regularly selling on par with, and in many cases beating the PS4 each month in the US.

There are signs that Sony is starting to get cocky with their success with the PS4. First with new SIE management implimenting new puritanical content guidelines for Japanese developers, and now with rumors of the PS5 being $500, which while not as bad as the $600 monstrosity of the PS3, is still too expensive for a gaming platform. With this I'm worried Sony is going to end up right back at square one with the PS5, a disasterous reveal and launch that fails to make a splash. And if Sony doesn't play their cards right, developers could very well distance themselves from the PS5 and put more focus on the Xbox Scarlett and even the Switch to an extent. I don't want this to be the case, and neither do you, so I'm hoping Sony makes it out alright in the end, but I am a bit worried about the PS5 at this point. It may not be as bad as the early PS3 days, but it could very well be a disaster if Sony doesn't put their best foot forward, especially now that their contemporaries aren't as incompetent now as they used to be.

Title: "Is Sony heading in for another PS3-level disaster?"

You've answered yourself, OP

Gamernyc78

Banned
Thats not enough value to the gamer....people buy games consoles to play games...blu ray player and niche 7.1 surround sound wont make a dent. Had it provided a substantial leap in gameplay or graphics....thats value to gamers.

It was value enough to the point it still outsold Xbox world wide every single month at a higher price.

It says 5+ million, but lets just give them an extra 2 million for the hell of it.

MKX came out the same year as Halo 5.

MkX sold 5 million near launch and now issuer 10 million

Halo 5 sold OVER 5 million near launch before the holiday season. It also had two years of occasional bundling, discounts and part of various by one get one free charts. With a publisher that has more money in the gaming space.

But you think Halo 5 only sold 7 million In over 4 years? Lol.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Sony would have to drop the ball pretty hard to have another PS3 situation. They've made some puritanical decisions that people on video game message boards take issue with, but for casuals that look to buy a console every X number of years (ie. the majority of purchases), that's not even on their radar. Assuming Sony keeps things on an even keel, they should do just fine with the PS5. Competition will come from what Microsoft does next generation to make their system more appealing. I don't think Nintendo cares that much about being a massive force, they'll just keep doing their thing so long as it's acceptably profitable.

Dipsed

Jubenhimer lead architect of Stadia... lol

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think Sony is right on track. Things get more expensive over time and I think $500 would be fine. It's got backwards compatibility which most people wanted and the specs seem like a nice step up. They also seem to have talked to developers during the development process like they did with the ps4 and Cerny is again working on the design.

Romulus

MKX came out the same year as Halo 5.

MkX sold 5 million near launch and now issuer 10 million

Halo 5 sold OVER 5 million near launch before the holiday season. It also had two years of occasional bundling, discounts and part of various by one get one free charts. With a publisher that has more money in the gaming space.

But you think Halo 5 only sold 7 million In over 4 years? Lol.

Well, MS didn't reveal the numbers, which is very telling. MS in the past was very quick to point out Halo sales, but for Halo 5 they're very dodgy. Why? If they're so good, release them, but no they'd just rather not. But I guess you're comfortable with what, 8-10 million in unannounced sales?

Last edited:
PS3 was expensive and hadnogame.meme.

I think if PS5 is a single SKU at $500 vs the "rumored" 2 SKU Xbox at $400 1080p and $??? 4K, it gets interesting.

Exclusives are nice, but I think a $400 1080p Xbox vs a $500 4Kinda PS5 at launch could be a toss up.

If Microsoft steps up their exclusive output for launch...

CommonIlliterateFalcon-size_restricted.gif

Zambayoshi

PS4 Pro sales must have reinforced Sony's view that gamers are prepared to shell out more for a more powerful machine.

Psykodad

Banned
The diffrence is that the One X is part of the Xbox One platform. It's just a more expensive, niche option for the current gen Xbox. All Xbox One games are fully playable on both systems, so $500 for an X is easier to stomach for those that want it. Less so with the PS5 since that's going to be a new generation system with exclusive software on it. If you don't have good games, $500 is going to be harder to justify for a next gen mainstream console, just ask Microsoft about that.
Wut?
That isn't any different from previous console launches.

PS2 launch didn't really have that much special when it came to exclusive titles at launch, neither did PS3 nor PS4.
They all turned out fine (even PS3 in the end).

CatCouch

I don't think Sony will fall flat on their face or anything but I think they will slip. The Xbox One launch was really bad and it did prevent me from buying one for quite a while but the issues with Sony censoring now absolutely take the cake as the most off-putting thing a game platform has done. It killed all my hype. That may not mean much to the majority but I do think it means Sony is on a path that will lead them astray. The competition will be stronger this time and I feel Sony isn't taking it seriously if they are willing to damage Japanese game developers, potentially pushing them to competing platforms.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't think Sony will fall flat on their face or anything but I think they will slip. The Xbox One launch was really bad and it did prevent me from buying one for quite a while but the issues with Sony censoring now absolutely take the cake as the most off-putting thing a game platform has done. It killed all my hype. That may not mean much to the majority but I do think it means Sony is on a path that will lead them astray. The competition will be stronger this time and I feel Sony isn't taking it seriously if they are willing to damage Japanese game developers, potentially pushing them to competing platforms.

I think this issue is being greatly overblown... I see people putting the word censorship in bullet points, not examples of it.

Hudo

We have to wait and see, I guess. But I expect Microsoft not to completely botch the launch of their console this time, so Sony can't rely on Microsoft making Playstation look like the better choice, lol. In any case, I think times will be interesting.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Brand new Amd cpu ryzen 3rd gen with navi chip with 6ddr 6 memory and gddr 4 memory for the os. With bluray player controller and more for 500.

That's fucking cheap imo.

Gamerguy84

Brand new Amd cpu ryzen 3rd gen with navi chip with 6ddr 6 memory and gddr 4 memory for the os. With bluray player controller and more for 500.

That's fucking cheap imo.

It is cheap. An Ipad Pro is $800 to $1000 US.

They are definitely selling at a loss to be made up in games and plus subs.

CatCouch

I think this issue is being greatly overblown... I see people putting the word censorship in bullet points, not examples of it.
It's not being overblown for me. I've dropped buying games on the PS4 altogether now.

If you want examples I can give you my reasons for why this has severely hurt Sony for me:

I was looking forward to Omega Labyrinth Z and it's western release was cancelled in May of last year due to Sony requested some level of censorship.

In June the console versions of Neko Para Vol. 1 were supposed to release on the Switch and PS4. I wanted to go after trophies on the PS4 but only the Switch version released. I bought it for the Switch. It took all the way to November to release on the PS4 and it was censored more than the Switch release.

I cancelled my order for Senran Kagura Renewal once it was announced in October that it was delayed until January from it's November release date to be censored due to Sony. It was not censored on PC.

In December Super Neptunia RPG was released in Japan on PS4 and appeared to be censored. It has been confirmed now that the Western release will be censored on PS4 and the new Switch release will not be censored.

Date A Live and Dragon Star Varnir have been confirmed to be censored.

Mary Skelter 2 had a mode censored out of it that, from what I've heard, broke the game. I hear it is coming to the Switch now.

Dead Or Alive Xtreme 3 has censored content that was in the original 2016 release. The new Switch version is uncensored.

Then we have the weird censorship in Devil May Cry V that was removed in the NA release. Buying Dead Or Alive 6 on the Xbox was also a good move for me as the western PS4 release does not allow the sale of individual costumes for whatever reason.

This is just the games that I personally had interest in buying. Quite a few games I would have bought on the PS4 have been announced for the Switch so I don't need my PS4 for them, like Kill-La-Kill and God Eater 3.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not being overblown for me. I've dropped buying games on the PS4 altogether now.

If you want examples I can give you my reasons for why this has severely hurt Sony for me:

I was looking forward to Omega Labyrinth Z and it's western release was cancelled in May of last year due to Sony requested some level of censorship.

In June the console versions of Neko Para Vol. 1 were supposed to release on the Switch and PS4. I wanted to go after trophies on the PS4 but only the Switch version released. I bought it for the Switch. It took all the way to November to release on the PS4 and it was censored more than the Switch release.

I cancelled my order for Senran Kagura Renewal once it was announced in October that it was delayed until January from it's November release date to be censored due to Sony. It was not censored on PC.

In December Super Neptunia RPG was released in Japan on PS4 and appeared to be censored. It has been confirmed now that the Western release will be censored on PS4 and the new Switch release will not be censored.

Date A Live and Dragon Star Varnir have been confirmed to be censored.

Mary Skelter 2 had a mode censored out of it that, from what I've heard, broke the game. I hear it is coming to the Switch now.

Dead Or Alive Xtreme 3 has censored content that was in the original 2016 release. The new Switch version is uncensored.

Then we have the weird censorship in Devil May Cry V that was removed in the NA release. Buying Dead Or Alive 6 on the Xbox was also a good move for me as the western PS4 release does not allow the sale of individual costumes for whatever reason.

This is just the games that I personally had interest in buying. Quite a few games I would have bought on the PS4 have been announced for the Switch so I don't need my PS4 for them, like Kill-La-Kill and God Eater 3.

DMC V was a good “it must be Sony it must be Sony!!!!!” when it was more mob anger than any proof. Still, if you were planning to buy all those games on PS4 fair to you, still think it is a super minor niche issues and Sony being market leader is directly hit more than others by complaints about effects of the games and their imagery (also, the only console maker where a new HW announcement is met with hype killing FUD news article in the Western Press... see the latest hit piece by Polygon), but not trying to disrespect your tastes.

I can see a number of Japanese Developers move away from Playstation if theor rules are that strict and start giving the games to MS and Nintendo.

If Sony wants to chase the EA, Blizzard, Acti, Ubisoft crowd then that is up to them but i personally won't be buying their console if the Japanese Developers move ship.

CatCouch

DMC V was a good “it must be Sony it must be Sony!!!!!” when it was more mob anger than any proof. Still, if you were planning to buy all those games on PS4 fair to you, still think it is a super minor niche issues and Sony being market leader is directly hit more than others by complaints about effects of the games and their imagery (also, the only console maker where a new HW announcement is met with hype killing FUD news article in the Western Press... see the latest hit piece by Polygon), but not trying to disrespect your tastes.
The PS4 was pretty much my main console by default since Japanese games are my main thing. I seriously buy a lot. I have more than 200 PS4 games, quite a few being those Japanese collector editions for all the RPG's so it takes some serious screwing up to get me to abandon the platform.

I don't consider it a super minor niche thing when it makes up more that 100 games in my PS4 game collection. Each game may be relatively small next to the sales of heavy weights like Horizon, which I also bought the collectors edition for, but there are so many of these games. Sony screwing with them kills the whole system for me. I can live without Horizon, I can't live without all these Japanese niche games that take up most my gaming time. I fear that Sony doesn't care about games like Gravity Rush anymore, either, so there isn't much reason for me to stay. I can play multiplat games on my Xbox just fine.

I think game companies are going to have to start defending content when it comes under fire. Social media is going to guarantee that outrage will be a constant thing. Banning content just creates more awareness for it and creates more outrage.

Polygon gonna Polygon, I guess. I'm sure the PS5 will be great from a hardware perspective.

Top Bottom