• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is SP2 running your games faster?

It's out? Supposedly XP is faster under SP2, so I guess games should run better as well?

Culex

Banned
I'm not touching SP2 until it's loaded up at Windows Update. I'll let everyone else fuck their comps for me :)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Culex said:
I'm not touching SP2 until it's loaded up at Windows Update. I'll let everyone else fuck their comps for me :)

The downside is that, at 250 Megs, there's no way the MS servers are even remotely going to be able to handle the load of every windows user trying to download that monster. Expect to wait a LONG time to get it.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I'm running on SP2 (Final / RTM became available earlier today)

General use is noticebly more responsive, although I haven't ruled out the placebo effect yet. - Windows do seem to open quicker though.

Nothing so far fucked, everything I have runs as it should.

Not benchmarked or tried UT2004 yet though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
General use is noticebly more responsive, although I haven't ruled out the placebo effect yet. - Windows do seem to open quicker though.
Keep in mind that Windows in general (and XP I can 101% confirm, as I have it on two HDDs that I can boot from whenever I want) runs MUCH snappier (OS boots faster, IE opens faster, etc.) right after you just install it, compared to after a year or so of use when you clog the registry with software that you install/deinstall, etc. And no, it has nothing to do with viruses, spyware, etc. I have none of that - it's just that Windows simply 'degrades' that way after prolonged use, and you need to re-install it every now and then, just to keep performance at it's peak.

SP2 could be just refreshing the registry somehow, thus getting the same result that you get when reinstall from scratch.

SyNapSe

Nerevar said:
The downside is that, at 250 Megs, there's no way the MS servers are even remotely going to be able to handle the load of every windows user trying to download that monster. Expect to wait a LONG time to get it.

Don't they use Akimai to deal with things such as this? I'm pretty sure that's how they didn't go down during that DoS attack that virus did on www.microsoft.com a year or so ago.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I've had SP2 for two months now, it's been working WONDERFULLY.

Of course I haven't noticed any drastic speed increases other than faster load times (noticably) and generally more responsive apps but aside from that it's been a flawless install for me.

retardboy

I've been using the final for like 2 days. I like it a lot. IE seems to startup and open pages faster. That's about all I noticed though.

Priz

TekunoRobby said:
I've had SP2 for two months now, it's been working WONDERFULLY.

Of course I haven't noticed any drastic speed increases other than faster load times (noticably) and generally more responsive apps but aside from that it's been a flawless install for me.

That long, eh? I guess you're lucky enough to have one of those 2 machines...

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakin...id=VVPFIRZXAVGHYQSNDBESKHA?articleId=23905071

I hope this fixes some of the various problems I've been having with windows. We'll see.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Priz said:
That long, eh? I guess you're lucky enough to have one of those 2 machines...

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakin...id=VVPFIRZXAVGHYQSNDBESKHA?articleId=23905071
I downloaded it when MS was initially sending it out to beta testers. Since my XP build was relatively new I decided to take the plunge.

I might have gone through a stroke of unadulterated luck but I haven't had any problems with it AT ALL. It was so amazingly stable, especially for a private beta.

Don't take my word however, apparantly I'm a special case since others have had problems with it.

EDIT: Thumbing through some forums, apparantly a lot of people haven't had any trouble with it and also have had a speed increase in some games. Take that as you will.

3rdman

I've been running SP2 (RC2) for a couple of months now without any difficulty....Is there any difference to this version? Is it the same? Can I overwrite it without uninstalling RC2?

Top Bottom