• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Still Alive (Kingdom Hearts) the most iconic song in gaming history...

Most iconic lyrical video game song of all time?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
reading_is_fundamental_.jpg

I know they mean lyrics, but I mean that's actually the most iconic song in all of gaming. For lyric songs most people who aren't into games wouldn't even know that they're from games unless they played the game or someone told them, so most vocal songs don't get associated with games like that.

People saying Still Alive are probably right since that really got exposure even outside of gaming, but the problem is that the vocal songs often lose their ties strictly with games outside of gaming circles.

MisterHero

Super Mario Bros. Super Show rap is the true form of the Mario Bros.

Hooked on the brothers the brothers the brothers, etc.

Also Do the Mario tbh

DNAbro

Just judging by youtube search with the first video result

Still Alive has 26 million views

Simple and Clean has 6 million

That Still Alive video was posted 9 years ago when Portal came out and that Simple and Clean video was posted 3 years ago.

I love portal and I love "still Alice" but let's not kid ourselves. It doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of being iconical compared to One Winged Angel.

I'm not a FF7 fangirl. I'm really not, but One Winged Angel is the correct answer and there isn't an argument to be had.

Magwik

Banned
I highly doubt that Portal is anywhere near as identifiable as Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts wins by miles.

Corpekata

Banned
I highly doubt that Portal is anywhere near as identifiable as Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts wins by miles.

I mean, KH has fucking Mickey Mouse in it, so of course it would win easier recognition on a general level.

Music wise though, Simple and Clean has never broken out past big fans of the series.

robotrock

Banned
What about that Red Dead song that plays when you get to Mexico?

Also I want to mention Tears during the ending of Max Payne 3

Corpekata

Banned
reading_is_fundamental_.jpg

e:

I'm pretty sure if you show random people on the street a screen of KH3 with mickey in it, if they even recognsise it as coming from a videogame theyll assume its from Disney Infinity

Yeah, I mean, there's certainly iconic elements to the series, but it's stuff that was already incredibly famous. Plus maybe the keyblade. That's about it.

MooMilk2929

I always thought Simple and clean sounded pretty mainstreamish. Something good enough for mainstream radio. The second game song with lyrics I like is I am the wind for Castlevania SOTN.

Gaz_RB

Within a certain group of gamers, yes I think you're right. Simple and Clean is the GOAT.

However, with the nu-geek "cake is a lie" culture, Still Alive probably takes...the...cake...

Jakoo

Simple and Clean is definitively up there.

I feel like the theme from Bayonetta 2 is just so Bayonetta that it's pretty iconic too. If Bayonetta was bigger I'd say it was a shoo in but even despite being so thematically on point I guess I wouldn't consider it "the most iconic".

Even if it's a theme-song for the US Anime, in terms of sheer popularity, it unfortunately might be the Pokerap lol

Falk

that puzzling face
A song, most broadly, is a single (and often standalone) work of music that is typically intended to be sung by the human voice with distinct and fixed pitches and patterns using sound and silence and a variety of forms that often include the repetition of section

Even discounting reading the OP, half of you are failing to read the word 'song' in the thread title, or have a poor, 21st-century bastardized understanding of the word.

Should be a bannable offense, but that'd mean we'd have no one left on GAF!

to answer OP's question, no it's not

Crayolan

No live and learn first post? Wut.

Escape from the City is more well known than Live and Learn.

Still Alive is way more well known than either of them.

Edit: thanks to memes pumpkin hill might also be more well known than Live and Learn too lol

Top Bottom