• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is tell me why any good?

Nethernova

I didn't mind LiS 1 although LiS 2 was a bit too in your face trying to say something (even if those things are things I kinda....agree with I don't really want to be constantly shoved in my face with it)

Is tell me why more LiS 1 or 2? Or its own thing?

Tell-Me-Why-Capitulo-1-13.jpg

Max Payne 2 looked better than this. And it probably told a better story too. WITH ACTUAL GAMEPLAY!

Kagey K

Banned
It was good enough to win an Award last night.

Probably best to start it and decide for yourself.

(It’s a new story with new people and there is demo for Captain Sprit) that kind of shows you what to expect.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

If you need to compare I'd go with it being like LiS 2, but even more so.

Whilst it’s got generally favourable critic reviews on Metacritic (78%) there is a notable fall off in the user score (6.0). A few of those User reviews echo my view - its boring.

I personally wouldn’t recommend anyone to buy it ..... unless you have Gamepass in which case I'd suggest you just give it a go?

Mmnow

Tellingly, you're getting a lot of warnings from people who haven't actually played this game.

It's more LiS1 than 2. The story is less supernatural than those games, although it's not entirely without it. The fact there's a trans main character is important to the plot, but not in a way that's not earned through interactions.

You have the choice to tell off one guy, and everyone else just kinda awkwardly accepts you. It's incredibly well handled compared to other examples of trans people in video games.

If you're interested in it, give it a shot on Gamepass. I can't see you being disappointed if you enjoyed the LiS games.

GreenAlien

If you don't mind playing as obvious democrats with fitting "thoughts and feelings" in a conservative town they despise, "trans stuff" being a relevant part of the story and the story itself being a small scale and personal family drama, then it's not horrible.

I haven't played LiS so I can't draw comparisons to that, but it's slightly better than their most recent Twin Mirror.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
[Reminder that you are not allowed to criticise the game or you will be considered transphobic. Anything other than positive comments will be considered dismissive! You have been warned!]

Yes, buy it! It's such a fantastic piece of work. Amazing game with a really inspiring story!

/s

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I bet 90% of the haters didn't even play it. I think it was better than Life is strange 2, but worse than 1. Just try it, there is no risc with Game Pass.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The narrative isn't exactly as much of a mystery and the game wants it to be. If it was longer than three episodes it would be a huge problem.

It's fine. If you need something easy to play and just sort of experience you can do a lot worse.

Moogle11

Banned
Tellingly, you're getting a lot of warnings from people who haven't actually played this game.

It's more LiS1 than 2. The story is less supernatural than those games, although it's not entirely without it. The fact there's a trans main character is important to the plot, but not in a way that's not earned through interactions.

You have the choice to tell off one guy, and everyone else just kinda awkwardly accepts you. It's incredibly well handled compared to other examples of trans people in video games.

If you're interested in it, give it a shot on Gamepass. I can't see you being disappointed if you enjoyed the LiS games.

Thanks for the impressions. I hadn't heard much about this game before it won that award the other night, but loved LiS (didn't play 2 yet) and this genre of games in general. Will definitely give it a go on Gamepass.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Finally got around to playing through this the past few evenings. I really liked it! Maybe not as much as Life is Strange 1, but it’s in the same ballpark for me. As above, I really like these kind of games be it LiS or Telltale Walking Dead, Batman and others or ”walking sims” like What Remains of Edith Finch. I love story driven games and it’s nice to play some here and there that are focused purely on that with few or any gameplay frustrations getting in the way for me.

For me this was a good family tragedy story, with some mild twists I enjoyed. I really liked how the fairy tale book they made was intertwined with both the story and some of the puzzles you had to solve throughout. I also liked piecing together what happened through the memory system. Reminded me a bit of Tacoma, minus the controlling time during memories thing.

Definitely not a game that’s going to change anyone’s mind who doesn’t like this type of game as it does nothing new. But that’s fine by me as I’m at a point after 35+ years of gaming where I know what I like and prefer games in my comfort zones as most outside the box or touted as ground breaking things end up not being my cup of tea more often than not.

Top Bottom