• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the death of Boromir the greatest death in cinema?

Is it?

• Yes

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • No - example give

Votes: 34 65.4%

• Total voters
while I think the death of Boromir is pretty epic, I agree with most of the others here that there are better ones. most of the good ones had already been mentioned. Hans from Die Hard, Leon from The Professional, Setsuko from Grave Of Fireflies (that one wrecks me no matter how long it's been). I thought of a few here.

the death of Nux in Mad Max Fury Road was pretty good.

Black Swan's build up to the end also makes the death great. "I was PERFECT!"

Mufasa, "Long Live The King!"

and I guess this is technically one of the most famous death...

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I hate everything popular! Hipster! Lol
Nahh. I love tons of popular things. My problem is with media conglomerates that ran out of novel ideas and just keep milking things over and over again. I miss going to the theater to be surprised. I grew up with everything I mentioned and I am bored of it. The thought of enduring another decade of remixes, sequels, and remakes makes me sad.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nahh. I love tons of popular things. My problem is with media conglomerates that ran out of novel ideas and just keep milking things over and over again. I miss going to the theater to be surprised. I grew up with everything I mentioned and I am bored of it. The thought of enduring another decade of remixes, sequels, and remakes makes me sad.
The Lord of the Rings had never been adapted in full before though. It seems the least likely thing to call out. The Hobbit movies for sure, but the LOTR was a big risk on an epic adaptation in a time when fantasy was basically non existent for blockbuster movies.

Last time I watched it I was like ok I think he's had enough arrows how is he still even conscious.
I could be wrong, but from what I remember of the scene in the film he got shot twice in the gut, and once in the lung. While certainly a death sentence in any medieval setting, normal regular people survive gunshot wounds to those areas with swift hospital care all the time. Without the lungshot a person would likely hold on for hours, perhaps even a day with intestinal damage like that before fatal septic poisoning occurs. The lungshot was the death blow, as the bleeding in the lung causes asphyxiation due to internal bleeding.

Depending on your definition of 'instant' only head or heart trauma is an infant death. Brain trauma is obvious, but getting shot in the heart immediately brings one's blood pressure to zero, causing unconsiousness within moments, and death shortly after. Of course damage to a major artery will cause one to bleed out within minutes.

Any medical GAFFers are free to correct me for any inaccuracies of course. I'm just a trucker with an affinity for guns, and what damage they do to the body.

Nymphae

Banned
I could be wrong, but from what I remember of the scene in the film he got shot twice in the gut, and once in the lung. While certainly a death sentence in any medieval setting, normal regular people survive gunshot wounds to those areas with swift hospital care all the time. Without the lungshot a person would likely hold on for hours, perhaps even a day with intestinal damage like that before fatal septic poisoning occurs. The lungshot was the death blow, as the bleeding in the lung causes asphyxiation due to internal bleeding.

Depending on your definition of 'instant' only head or heart trauma is an infant death. Brain trauma is obvious, but getting shot in the heart immediately brings one's blood pressure to zero, causing unconsiousness within moments, and death shortly after. Of course damage to a major artery will cause one to bleed out within minutes.

Any medical GAFFers are free to correct me for any inaccuracies of course. I'm just a trucker with an affinity for guns, and what damage they do to the body.

Yeah maybe I'm misremembering I thought he got hit like a dozen times lol

Yeah maybe I'm misremembering I thought he got hit like a dozen times lol
Oh it's quite unrealistic to expect a regular person to keep on kicking was like Boromir did after getting injured like that. I think the whole scene was Jackson's homage to Tolkein to show Boromir being such a badass, as the entire fight was never in the books. In the books Boromir was tall, fair, and muscular, the closest thing to the textbook definition of military nobility Gondor had to offer. Sean Bean wasn't a bad choice by any stretch of the imagination, but he should have been at least half a foot taller with an additional 50 pounds of muscle. They had to spend so much of his screen time setting up the betrayal for the audience that they had to do something to show that Boromir was a good man at heart.

Meowzers

I actually cried at the age of 13 back in 2001 when he died.

Though now I can do a good impression of Sean Bean lol.

giphy-7.gif

Gp1

Why everyone forgets the ballad of Alex Murphy? Every single (big) death of this movie is better than Boromirs death.
(considering that robocop has 1:30h, you guys saw a abridged version)

Last edited:

Mistake

I thought it was this

Doom85

No one is more prepared for death than Sean bean

He was also prepared for it for Silent Hill: Revelations but clearly the Silent Hill fanbase hadn't been pissed on hard enough around that time:

Sean Bean: Okay, so my character Harry is supposed to be killed by Claudia, which is supposed to result in my daughter Heather going to Silent Hill which is what Claudia wants so Heather murders her which will result in an evil God being born due to her hatred?
Director: Well yeah, but how about instead of following the story of one of the most well received horror games of all time, we change all that for no good reason?
Sean Bean: ......I mean, I'm used to dying in these things, so it's not like I mind.
Director: Sure, but I REALLY want this movie to suck shit. Would you mind not dying for once even though you're totally supposed to?
Sean Bean: *sigh* Fine.

Top Bottom