• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Last Guardian playable without patches?

solidus12

Guys, I really love this game, I want to try it at 60fps on my PS5.

I hear that the game can be pretty buggy without the patches, with some game breaking glitches even.

Has anyone of you tried to play it unpatched on PS5? How far did you go?

Thank you.

And if you haven’t, please go play this beautiful game. We’re not gonna see games like that under Jim Ryan’s leadership (hope I’m wrong)

Kuranghi

The 1.0 camera has a massive acceleration time/deadzone and there are some bugs + no HDR. The HDR is tacked on implement so I didnt mind that not being in it and the bugs and camera I can deal with but someone said it hard crashes at 2 or more points in the game and you have to patch, play that bit at 30fps then uninstall and stop the patches to continue at 60fps and I just said fuck it I'll wait and see if they fix that.

If theres no action on a patch/fix by the end of the year I'll just play it and deal with the crashes. I bet its super awesome at 3380x1900 AND 60fps, I originally played on PS4 Pro and my old 40" TV and it was visually awesome even then.

TL;Dr - In 1.0 the camera is sluggish, theres no HDR and some more bugs. It also crashes at certain points on PS5 without patches.

GametimeUK

The game at 60fps has places where the cutscene crashes. I think I encountered 2 freezes and a puzzle / section near the end that is impossible to beat at 60fps too. That being said I recommend playing it at 60fps and patching momentarily to get past these sections. They are super brief and to me I'd rather play at 60fps with these issues than that disgusting 30fps garbage.

(Edit) also it's one of the best games I've ever played in my life.

Last edited:

solidus12

It’s one of the best experiences out here.

People just need to be patient with Trico and use the correct button input to issue commands.

NinjaBoiX

I thought it was awful; it ran badly, controlled poorly, and seemed devoid of any meaningful gameplay ideas.

I played it for about two hours and still felt like I was stuck in a really poorly optimised tutorial.

Trico was impressive though.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The game at 60fps has places where the cutscene crashes. I think I encountered 2 freezes and a puzzle / section near the end that is impossible to beat at 60fps too. That being said I recommend playing it at 60fps and patching momentarily to get past these sections. They are super brief and to me I'd rather play at 60fps with these issues than that disgusting 30fps garbage.

(Edit) also it's one of the best games I've ever played in my life.
It's not a fighting game or some twitch shooter where reflexes will make or break the game. 60fps is really good and superior in most gaming situations but a locked 30fps is fine for this type of game. Yes, I have it and have completed it.

Play it on a PS5. The game is unoptimized and you need to brute force it. It's the one game that made my PS4pro sound like a jet engine. Really kills the atmosphere.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I played the game on PS5 (patched; 30 FPS) a few months ago, and honestly it was completely fine.

It's not a game like Returnal or Sekiro. It's a slow-paced cinematic game that is perfectly fine in 30 FPS.

sachos

There's a level that l found impossible to progress and had to patch to progress. You can always delete the game and re-install without the patch to proceed further at 60fps.
Wouldn't the save game be incompatible then since you would be trying to load a save file from a version different than the one you are running post re-installing? Loading say version 1.4 save when running 1.2 game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry OP but i heard it crashes. :( still try it at 60 fps and then just patch it and play at 30 fps. Trico will be a cunt no matter what the framerate. though ive heard if you pet it enough, he might be more responsive to your calls and commands.

You just have to experience the game. It is frustrating. Infuriating. Feels sluggish 90% of the time. Some barrel puzzles are straight up torture but fuck me if it isnt all worth it at the end.

It's shocking to me that the game has a 82 metacritic. At least gaf appreciated it and had it ranked 3rd in their goty rankings back then. The game is an all time masterpiece despite the issues. Dont worry about the bugs, you will mostly remember the game for the incredible moments that are littered through out the game. everyone talks about ND setpieces but ND has never made setpieces this complex and grand before. the A.I and the shit they have trico do in this game is simply mindblowing. No wonder this game took 11 years to make because i have no idea how some of this stuff is possible without years of tuning.

The final 2 hours are some of the greatest pieces of storytelling in ANY medium. Everyone loves the SOTC ending and the final 1 hour of Ico, but to me this was just as good if not better. I think about this game and while I remember the frustrating camera and controls, i mostly feel goosebumps all over again.

It's a masterpiece in the truest sense of the word.

I just replayed this last month. Game is more than fine in 30fps. As one poster said its a slow game, you dont really do any rushing where you will wish for a 60fps fidelity. Make sure you play with headphones only!

0neAnd0nly

I thought it was awful; it ran badly, controlled poorly, and seemed devoid of any meaningful gameplay ideas.

I played it for about two hours and still felt like I was stuck in a really poorly optimised tutorial.

Trico was impressive though.

So my best friend thought the same and made it about equally as far.

I tried to explain though - it’s suppose to be a game about a relationship budding on an adventure between man and beast. Trico, I believe, purposefully is difficult to control at first. Only after petting, feeding, completing these puzzles does he organically become more responsive. He is a big, clunky animal too - which likely wouldn’t be the most quick reacting entity in the universe IRL (think - giraffes and elephants).

It’s a game that if you give up early you won’t ever see the beauty IMO. It is, in my true opinion, the shining gem of PS4 games and probably my game of the entire generation. It isn’t for everybody but for those that it does click with, it hits hard.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

So my best friend thought the same and made it about equally as far.

I tried to explain though - it’s suppose to be a game about a relationship budding on an adventure between man and beast. Trico, I believe, purposefully is difficult to control at first. Only after petting, feeding, completing these puzzles does he organically become more responsive. He is a big, clunky animal too - which likely wouldn’t be the most quick reacting entity in the universe IRL (think - giraffes and elephants).

It’s a game that if you give up early you won’t ever see the beauty IMO. It is, in my true opinion, the shining gem of PS4 games and probably my game of the entire generation. It isn’t for everybody but for those that it does click with, it hits hard.
Oh yeah, I know Trico is supposed to struggle to follow commands initially, Trico is one of the few things I actually liked about it.

Annoyingly I definitely felt like I was getting to the end of the tutorial section when I gave up, it’d just gone on way too long!

I’ll maybe give it another try at some point, I assume the PS5 will be able to brute force fix the wonky performance if nothing else.

0neAnd0nly

Oh yeah, I know Trico is supposed to struggle to follow commands initially, Trico is one of the few things I actually liked about it.

Annoyingly I definitely felt like I was getting to the end of the tutorial section when I gave up, it’d just gone on way too long!

I’ll maybe give it another try at some point, I assume the PS5 will be able to brute force fix the wonky performance if nothing else.
I really do suggest it.

I find a lot of Japanese media (games, movies, etc) to be a bit of a slow burn. For some people that just isn’t their preference, nothing wrong with that.

But if you make it through a little farther I think you may have at the very least an appreciation for the game. It’s a puzzle platformer that is becoming less and less common in modern gaming formula with an artistic beauty and atmosphere that rivals most anything else I played the last decade.

But hey - our differences in gaming preferences and styles is part of what makes neogaf and the gaming community cool. So even if it ends up not being for you - that’s cool too!

Hope you get around to it again soon, let me know what you think if you do!

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
And if you haven’t, please go play this beautiful game. We’re not gonna see games like that under Jim Ryan’s leadership (hope I’m wrong)
Jim Ryan was a huge proponent of The Last Guardian. He literally called out Sony for not marketing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus enough and said he thought TLG could sell better if it was just supported more.

GametimeUK

It's not a fighting game or some twitch shooter where reflexes will make or break the game. 60fps is really good and superior in most gaming situations but a locked 30fps is fine for this type of game. Yes, I have it and have completed it.
I'm glad it's fine for you, but it looks shit in motion to me. 60fps isn't just beneficial to twitch shooters and fighting games. The fluidity of the animation and smoother camera panning really improve the presentation for me instead of the game looking like a slideshow.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would kill for a sequel 😭😭
same, you have no idea. Sony does indeed own the IP.
Add me to that list too!
12791066865_74c620ee50_o.gif

Jim Ryan was a huge proponent of The Last Guardian. He literally called out Sony for not marketing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus enough and said he thought TLG could sell better if it was just supported more.
Get Jimbo on the horn and have them release a patch to unlock the framerate.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Oh yeah, regarding the more recent comments on this game.

Originally I didn't like it, and that's probably intentional, but as the same went on it really grew on me and in the end I absolutely loved it.
I need to play the PS4 version of SotC to double check my conclusion, but I think I liked TLG the most between it, Ico, and SotC.

KXVXII9X

One of my favorite games of last generation. Sadly, never got to finish it since my PS4 died. Other than fighting the camera at times and some hiccups here and there, I didn't have too many performance issues with the game. The A.I., and animations, and physics were great and is one reason I talk about these components nonstop because I saw how much they make a game come to life.

Top Bottom