• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the "Live service" classification by publishers increasingly an excuse to release a poor product?

Is Live Service increasingly an excuse

• Unfortunately yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Hell No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Pelta88

For me, "Live Service" within gaming has gone from a genre of gaming, to an avenue through which publishers intentionally release unfinished, early access, broken, lacking content games. Increasingly, I find myself needing to do a lot more research whenever I come across this specific Live Service classification because like many, I've bought into games with incredible roadmaps which, when you break it down, are essentially just cash grabs.

Irrespective of whether it's a new ip or one you love and have great affinity for. From my perspective, this industry and hobby of ours has gone to great lengths to turn the term "Live Service" into a disingenuous statement.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Competition has never been tougher.

Good luck releasing an inferior product in todays market. You won't float.

Yes and no.

The market has spoke. They are fine with that bullshit. Still, publishers need to deliver to fix their shit on time to make that unfinished/broken game sustainable.

Dr.Morris79

The thing is, mind you, games were releasing in broken unfinished states well before the Gaas plague

I have a feeling it more boils down to the simple fact that proper, fully fledged games take a long time to make. Which in turn means big publishers hammer out some right old shite, stick it in the Gaas pile then get the skeleton crew to work on 'added extras, maybe at the user ends cost' while the A team make the next pile of workable dung

Rinse repeat.

Griffon

dDrtOVb.jpg

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
It's more an excuse to make more money and milk the gamer.
They did not waited GAAS to deliver poor products.
cat drinking GIF

Last edited:

RavageX

Could have been a good idea if....

Games were released properly, and by that I mean completed. Quality checked, no content cut out for "later", THEN they continue to build on the game after release.

But that isnt what happens. Games are released half assed with a big rush to preorder and receive bonuses that should be in the game to begin with for everyone. Content is purposely left out so you can pay for it later.

Then when/if the game fails and work ceases. You have a game that NEVER gets completed, stories arent fully finished, etc.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No, a bad live service game has more to loose then a regular game. They are meant to be played for years and if you fuck up bad enough to hemorrhage players early on then you are fucked. At least a regular game u can come back to when it’s fixed a busted live service games (save minor bugs that can be fixed quickly) is a death sentence.

Top Bottom