• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Investing $2.1B In Gaming R&D, Focusing On Live Service - Insider Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
if they take so long to make then you would think they would invest MORE in those games to get them out faster. Instead they showed up with a total of ONE single player game and like five gaas trash.
I don't think that's how it works. There comes a point where adding more people and money does little to speed up development.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't think that's how it works. There comes a point where adding more people and money does little to speed up development.
Sony studios arent at the point yet. They are still 200-300 person studios if you look at their budget filings to FTC. And thats the big studios. Bend and Sucker Punch were still 100 person studios.

Lets wait till they get to 1000 person studios like the Ubisoft and Activision studios then maybe we can say ok, sony studios dont need anymore investment. They are practically mom and pop shop operations compared to how big publishers like Activision run their business with all studios working together to release massive games every year.

What a waste of money. Invest in the games that turned you into the giant you are today instead of chasing the next fad. The cod casual, the fortnite kid, the kinect mom or the wii grandpa didn't make give you the lead, it was the single player millennial who stuck by you.

Just dance with the one who brought you.

Ughh... you're letting a bullshit OP dupe you.

NOWHERE, has Sony mentioned anything about a focus of their $2b R&D spend on Live Service games. The OP and his linked article take old info (about Sony's increase in game dev spending to 60% on Live Services---in which traditional SP games development investment increases also from 2019), and combine it with new information that is entirely unrelated to the former statement, i.e. the $2b R&D spend.

This is the very defintion of taking two factual statements that are unrelated to each other and using them to create a counterfactual narrative to spread misinformation.

Sony's gaming R&D is mainly spent on hardware. It's VR, Project Q, the PS5 Pro, and early PS6 development. Some will cover OS software development.

The OP is FUD and people shouldn't fall for it.

Last edited:

Ansphn

People think Sony will do the usual Live Service games that they're used to but i actually see them revolutionizing Live service games. They're going to bring a more "Quality" & "Seamless Cinematic" feel to it that people come to know and experience from their games.

Last edited:

Calverz

Peopl think Sony will do the usual Live Service games that they're used to but i actually see them revolutionizing Live service games. They're going to bring a more "Quality" & "Seamless Cinematic" feel to it.
Cool. Just like the most popular live service games on the planet, Minecraft, Fortnite and Roblox.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm still shocked that they are planning 12 live service games... AND they will probably all try to copy the Destiny 2 formula, which makes it just extremely depressing.

The loss of the Deviation Studios games brings it down to 11.

Cool. Just like the most popular live service games on the planet, Minecraft, Fortnite and Roblox.

He's talking about the "type" of live service games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ughh... you're letting a bullshit OP dupe you.

NOWHERE, has Sony mentioned anything about a focus of their $2b R&D spend on Live Service games. The OP and his linked article take old info (about Sony's increase in game dev spending to 60% on Live Services---in which traditional SP games development investment increases also from 2019), and combine it with new information that is entirely unrelated to the former statement, i.e. the $2b R&D spend.

This is the very defintion of taking two factual statements that are unrelated to each other and using them to create a counterfactual narrative to spread misinformation.

Sony's gaming R&D is mainly spent on hardware. It's VR, Project Q, the PS5 Pro, and early PS6 development. Some will cover OS software development.

The OP is FUD and people shouldn't fall for it.
See my post from earlier in the thread in response to this breakdown of Sonys investment into Gaas and traditional games.

DaOCQ1j.png

Why is he wrong? There is definitely less money allocated to SP games today in FY23 than they had allocated in FY19.

FY25 looks to be on par with FY19 which adjusting for inflation and rising costs of game likely means less money would be allocated to single player games than they did six years before FY25.

The proof is in the pudding. they revealed 5 GaaS games and 1 SP game at their PS conference. No TLOU3, Cory new IP, Wolverine, GoT2, Death Stranding or Bluepoint's new remake in sight. Clearly, the single player studios dont have enough resources to get these games out faster because the extra money they needed to combat rising costs went instead to gaas trash.

Even if the OP is disingenious, it doesnt change the fact that sony's FY23 investments in single player dev is less than it was 4 years ago and by FY25 would only be equal to their investment in FY19 when it should be way higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom