• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a list of 1080i PS3 games somewhere?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Title kindda says it all. After listening to all the turds who've said that most games now support 1080i, I'm finding that the ones I have or want only support 480p for me (TV doesn't do 720p).

Heavenly Sword: 720p
Folklore: 720p
R&C Demo: 720p

I swear if EoJ is 720p I think I'm gonna lose it.

SaitoH

Just the ones of the top of my head

-Ratchet and Clank
-VF5
-Gran Turismo Prolog
-Jericho
-Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma

borghe

Marconelly said:
R&C demo is verified to work in 1080i.

Not on my TV it didn't. What might I be doing wrong? My XMB is set to and working at 1080i, and I double checked after I started the demo that my TV was at 480p. Should I be looking at any settings on my PS3?

nofi said:
Skate does too, although it's scaled up from 720p, so I might be talking shite.
I don't care. For me that's perfectly acceptable as I can still play it in HD.

borghe said:
Not on my TV it didn't. What might I be doing wrong? My XMB is set to and working at 1080i, and I double checked after I started the demo that my TV was at 480p. Should I be looking at any settings on my PS3?

Try unchecking 720p and just leaving 1080i.

ascully

The ones I have so Far that support 1080I are

Ridge 7
Everyday Shooter
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Pixeljunk Racers
GTHD Demo
Calling All Cars
Super Stardust HD

My TV only does 1080I and 480P also so I feel your pain, 5 of the games I have bought on disc only run in 480P for me it sucks as everything on the 360 scales to 1080I and I never have to play any of those games in lastgenovision.

borghe

I have 720p unchecked. I wouldn't be able to play anything if I didn't (my TV screen would just freak out).

Hmm.. I'll double check again when I get home tonight. I could have sworn R&C had my TV saying 480p.

As for last-gen-o-vision, the games still look gorgeous... about the only bad thing I can say is that they don't have the visual pop or the color fidelity of HD. But they are not ugly games (or anywhere near last-gen) by any stretch of the imagination.

Sir Fragula said:
Wouldn't that list be the same as the one of PS3 games which are certified for 1080p?
no, I know from looking on boxes that there are a number of games that support 1080i but not 1080p.

I can't believe this 1080i issue isn't 100% iron-clad resolved yet. I could be completely misinformed here and please correct me if I am misinformed (as I come here to get informed).

But...

My HDTV, while is now about 4 years old, is a rear-projection set that plays at 480i, 480p, and 1080i -- thats it. No 720i/p at all. I had always assumed this was a good thing, because 1080i is the standard to which the industry, particularly the broadcast industry, is STILL working to standardize on, with 1080p acting as an artifact just to push the display industry specifically, along.

I've made a few rationalizations for why I don't own a PS3 yet, but the 1080i thing is absolutely huge for me. I guess I can't believe it isn't resolved yet. I hate to dig up an old fight about this that I know has been hashed out on here time and time again, but the PS3 1080i issue is the biggest surprise for me of this generation.

nofi

awesomeapproved said:
I can't believe this 1080i issue isn't 100% iron-clad resolved yet. I could be completely misinformed here and please correct me if I am misinformed (as I come here to get informed).

Yup, it's kinda silly. Here's hoping for FW 2.0, eh?

borghe

as far as I understand it, the PS3 has no hardware scaler like the 360 has. If I am wrong then someone please correct me. So while it can render games at a lower resolution it can't render games at one resolution and then scale them up to a higher resolution. It CAN do this in software, but thus it is the responsibility of the dev to include the software to do it. The problem is that it takes resources to do it in software, and if the dev is already having trouble hitting 30fps, that would drop to scale it to 1080i.

I was truly hoping that a new hardware rev (40GB) would have a built in hardware scaler so as you say to get rid of this once and for all, but it doesn't. So it's up to the devs still to include software scaling for us 720p-less folks.. unfortunately as annoying as it is to think that our TVs are "deficient" (they aren't, but you know what I'm saying), 720p-less TVs do seem to be in the minority. Heck, even my bedroom TV (2003 32" Sony) does 720p. So I could technically play it in there, but then I'd be giving up 23" of screen just to play in HD.

ascully said:
My TV does 1080I and 480P I have 720P unticked in the XMB and the R&C demo plays in 480P.
FINALLY!!!!! Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy!!

tanod

when is my burrito
Might be easier to list the ones that don't support 1080i.

EDIT: R&C supports 1080i in the demo and release version. Check your settings again.

Ashhong

awesomeapproved said:

I am in the same exact boat as you, and can I say, that I definitely do not mind it too much. Somehow, the game still manages to look gorgeous. Take Warhawk for example. The beta ran in 480p on my TV, and now the game runs in 1080i. I for one, cannot see a huge difference. The actual image quality on the game itself is the same. Only difference is that everything is smaller, therefore allowing more on the screen at once. At first I thought since it's only 480p, it would look like my Wii (not knocking the Wii), but no, HS still looked very next-gen (although that is one game exception that needs to be seen in 1080p).

Here is the list off the top of my head, with the best games bolded just cause.

Ridge Racer 7
Everyday Shooter
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Pixel Junk Racers
NBA 07
F1?
MLB 07 The Show?
Lair?
GTHD Demo
Calling All Cars
Super Stardust HD

Ratchet and Clank
Virtua Fighter 5
Gran Turismo Prologue

Jericho
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Warhawk
NBA 2k8/Live/08
(I think all three)

By the way, Ratchet is 100% 1080i. Check again, and if it isn't something is wrong with your PS3/TV or something.

borghe

tanod said:
Might be easier to list the ones that don't support 1080i.
are you kidding me? I still can't list more than 3-4 games that support it. Please do enlighten me if I'm wrong. I would love to be.

Ashhong said:
thanks.

By the way, Ratchet is 100% 1080i. Check again, and if it isn't something is wrong with your PS3/TV or something.
well, I know nothing is wrong with my TV. What could be wrong with my PS3?

Ashhong

borghe said:
FINALLY!!!!! Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy!!

Something be seriously wrong there. JStevenson has stated multiple times that it is 1080i. Plus my TV, which is a rear projection Panasonic that does 480i/p and 1080i only plays R&C in 1080i. You are playing the downloaded demo and not the disk demo right?

What TV? Try resetting the video settings for your PS3. Try this: hold the power button on your PS3 for like 10 seconds or something. This will turn on the PS3 in its default 480p mode I believe and take you to the video select screen. Set everything to auto and see if that helps.

ascully

Yeah the downloaded demo I am playing it only runs in 480P for me, isn't it the resistance engine anyway that only runs in 480P for me also

borghe

Ashhong said:
Something be seriously wrong there. JStevenson has stated multiple times that it is 1080i. Plus my TV, which is a rear projection Panasonic that does 480i/p and 1080i only plays R&C in 1080i. You are playing the downloaded demo and not the disk demo right?
argghhhh.. yes, the downloaded demo from PSN. I can't do any more about this right now though. Will have to wait until I get home.

see above. plenty more than 3-4.
yeah, I know. I just said I couldn't personally list more. Appreciate the list.

Ashhong

ascully said:
Yeah the downloaded demo I am playing it only runs in 480P for me, isn't it the resistance engine anyway that only runs in 480P for me also

Hardly. They are constantly building upon engines. The engine used in Resistance is over a year old, and didn't support 1080i. The correct term is the Insomniac Engine, and has been greatly improved since then, and most definitely does support it. Confirmed by many sources, somethings up there.

tanod

when is my burrito
borghe said:
are you kidding me? I still can't list more than 3-4 games that support it. Please do enlighten me if I'm wrong. I would love to be.

Everything on PSN
NG: Sigma
The Darkness

Those are just the ones I have personally.

Almost everything that has come out since July 1st has 1080i scaling in it like R6, and GRAW. There wasn't a whole lot that came out before that, save for Resistance and Motor Storm and Ridge Racer 7. Of those, RR7 supports 1080i.

EDIT: Well, I don't have everything on PSN but you get the idea.

Ashhong

ascully said:
I have bought a few games from PSN that dont support 1080

Gripshift
Go Ski

Are two i remember off the top of my head

Whoa whoa. I'm pretty sure Go Ski supports 1080i. I've played it on a tv with no 720 and I 90% remember it not being 480. Gripshift...i dont know. Try holding down the power button on the PS3 when you start it up and redoing the video settings. Put everything on auto.

borghe

is there a difference between the PS2 component cable and the PS3 component cable? (using PS2 component cable because the cheesy 60GB pack doesn't come with one :\)

borghe said:
is there a difference between the PS2 component cable and the PS3 component cable? (using PS2 component cable because the cheesy 60GB pack doesn't come with one :\)

Same cable works for both the PS2 and the PS3.

borghe

awesomeapproved said:
Same cable works for both the PS2 and the PS3.
thanks.

thanks guys for the game list. will check on the R&C demo when I get home. I was almost positive the demo said 480p, but I could have just thought that because my TV did a resolution change before the demo. I suppose there's a chance it changed to 480p when it left XMB and then changed back to 1080i on the demo. will check tonight for sure though. if it is 480p I'll try the video reset thing.

elseanio

there's a great thread on the us.playstation boards about this

GAMES THAT CURRENTLY SUPPORT 1080i/p output
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
NBA 2k7
NBA '07
NBA '08 (Demo)
College Hoops 2K7
Sonic (Native 720p, but will display 1080)
Gundam wing
Ridge Racer 7
Virtua Fighter 5 (Native 720p, but will display 1080)
Tekken DR
NBA Street Homecourt (Native 720p, but will display 1080)
Virtua Tennis 3
MLB 07: the Show
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Rainbow Six Vegas (note- apparently it looks terrible- improper scaling bug)
The Darkness
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Transformers: The Game
All Pro Football 2k8
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Warhawk
LAIR
Skate
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (Demo)

Downloadable:
Blast Factor
Cash Guns Chaos DLX
Go! Soduku
Grand Tourismo: HD
flOw
Q*Bert
Super Rub a Dub
Mortal Kombat II
Gauntlet II
Calling all Cars
Rampage
Joust
Rampart
Championship Sprint
Go! Puzzle
Super Stardust HD
Home (Beta) (before latest update)
Piyotoma
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
Pixel Junk Racers
LocoRoco Cocoreccho!

bill0527

borghe said:
as far as I understand it, the PS3 has no hardware scaler like the 360 has.

I've seen a lot of people claiming that it does in fact have a hardware scaler, but the problem is that Sony does not mandate their devs and 3rd parties to use it. Since developers will always take the path of least resistance by default due to time contraints/budgets, things like 1080i support get cut out, if it was even intended at all.

Sony utterly freakin fails when it comes to getting their devs and 3rd parties to line up and create their games using some set standards. Sony sees this is an advantage by giving developers the freedom to do whatever they want. As a consumer, all I see is a big train wreck. Take last gen for example - always playing the guessing(hoping) game that certain PS2 games would support 480p and/or widescreen and getting frustrated at the whole randomness of seeing some games support certain features while others didn't.

Microsoft has got Sony beat by a mile in this department by making sure every Xbox 360 game has X and Y features with it.

ascully

After a video reset I have got Ratchet and Clank demo in 1080I it looks sweet compared to the messy 480P I was looking at last week. Go Ski is still in nasty 480P though :)

borghe

excellent. will give that a shot when I get home.

k, two questions then. Does Folklore do 1080i? And do we know if EoJ is going to do 1080i? I only ask because both are Sony published games.

nofi

borghe said:
excellent. will give that a shot when I get home.

k, two questions then. Does Folklore do 1080i? And do we know if EoJ is going to do 1080i? I only ask because both are Sony published games.

Folklore says only 720p on the back mate.

tanod

when is my burrito
ANA is not a scaler chip, BTW. The GPU does the 360 scaling. PS3's GPU also does its scaling. Get your facts straight, people.

FYI: The ANA chip converts the digital signal from the GPU into an analog signal for the outputs.

RavenFox

Banned
borghe said:
I have 720p unchecked. I wouldn't be able to play anything if I didn't (my TV screen would just freak out).

Hmm.. I'll double check again when I get home tonight. I could have sworn R&C had my TV saying 480p.

As for last-gen-o-vision, the games still look gorgeous... about the only bad thing I can say is that they don't have the visual pop or the color fidelity of HD. But they are not ugly games (or anywhere near last-gen) by any stretch of the imagination.

no, I know from looking on boxes that there are a number of games that support 1080i but not 1080p.

Your not basing how the games look from the set you own I hope. HD sets have improved considerably since you bought yours. Also the games look damn gorgeous if you look around and see pics some people take of their sets displaying the game.
Also the problem you have sucks no 'if', 'ands' or 'buts' about it. Its just the way PS3 output works. ahh bah no need to get into that though. Hopefully you can find a new HD set to accommodate you and your wallet in the near future. :)

Its pretty sad that people are basing their videogame purchases on what resolution they can play the game in rather than on how much fun the game is. Hooray for next-gen!

SaitoH

nincompoop said:
Its pretty sad that people are basing their videogame purchases on what resolution they can play the game in rather than on how much fun the game is. Hooray for next-gen!

I'm not, but I like it when games are in 1080i.

borghe

RavenFox said:
Your not basing how the games look from the set you own I hope. HD sets have improved considerably since you bought yours. Also the games look damn gorgeous if you look around and see pics some people take of their sets displaying the game.
Also the problem you have sucks no 'if', 'ands' or 'buts' about it. Its just the way PS3 output works. ahh bah no need to get into that though. Hopefully you can find a new HD set to accommodate you and your wallet in the near future. :)
I meant there was no visual pop or color fidelity when the games are in 480p. 1080i games on the 360 definitely pop as do HD-DVDs and POTC2 last night. There is NOTHING wrong with my TV, especially considering the quality of the set and that I had it professionally calibrated by CraigM off of HTSpot when I bought it and then fine tuned again within the last 16 months.. or with the PS3.. just meant that games scaled down to 480p definitely don't have that "bursting from the screen" beauty of other HD sources.

nincompoop said:
If Game A is "fun factor 5" and 720p, and Game B is "fun factor 5" and 1080i, which one do you think I am going to go for? Of course I'm not going to buy Gundam over Folklore just because it's in 1080i... but if a game is as fun as Folklore and does 1080i, of course I'm going to consider that one more strongly because of it.

bill0527

nincompoop said:

They're called videogames for a reason.

Video, while not the end all-be-all of a great game, definitely can add to the overall experience if its good, or take away from the overall experience if its bad.

Its very difficult, once you start playing games in a certain resolution, to take a step back. Its like once you have high speed internet, its damn impossible to ever go back to dial-up. Once you get a car, you never want to ride your bike again. Once you experience hi-definition gaming, its difficult to go back.

Argyle

tanod said:
ANA is not a scaler chip, BTW. The GPU does the 360 scaling. PS3's GPU also does its scaling. Get your facts straight, people.

FYI: The ANA chip converts the digital signal from the GPU into an analog signal for the outputs.

I don't think it's true that the GPU does the 360's scaling, one easy way to test this would be to see if you can measure a performance difference on 1080p (scaled) vs 720p (native), since it would take additional GPU time to render and copy back the scaled framebuffer to main memory (not to mention the possible memory impact of where to put it after the resolve, unless it came out of the 32MB system RAM).

There is a hardware scaler in the PS3's video output but it can only be used to scale horizontally, which means it is not transparent to developers and requires a bit of work to use correctly.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
bill0527 said:
They're called videogames for a reason.

Video, while not the end all-be-all of a great game, definitely can add to the overall experience if its good, or take away from the overall experience if its bad.

Its very difficult, once you start playing games in a certain resolution, to take a step back. Its like once you have high speed internet, its damn impossible to ever go back to dial-up. Once you get a car, you never want to ride your bike again. Once you experience hi-definition gaming, its difficult to go back.
well that just makes you a filthy Casual

StranGER

how t=do you know, on my 1080 set it doesn't tell me when a game starts if it is720, 1080 or what ?? how do you know for sure ?

Top Bottom