• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a real possibility that GTA V will be the peak in the series?

FMX

While you can argue which GTA was the best do you think that GTA V's success is so massive that there is no way that they will ever be able to top it? It gets to the point where you have to ask what else can be done? Again with GTA V being so popular for so long can they present more of the same and not face backlash? Some tough conversations are going to have to be had over at Rockstar---that's for sure.

I dunno I just wished they brought something like San Andreas back. I really liked all the fun stuff and customization options the game had. Plus you had three cities to explore.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
GTA V has been successful because they haven’t released the next one. It came out the end of the 360/ps3 era and they managed to get it on Xbox one and PS4 as people were upgrading at that point. It still continues to sell because there isn’t a sequel yet.

Chiggs

They’re definitely fearful of the next release…as anyone would be.

Look at Cameron after Titanic. Look at Cameron after Avatar. Same thing applies to Rockstar. They want to make sure they get it right, and they’ve been doing other stuff until they‘re sure they can get it right.

Now, can they get it right? The odds are NOT in their favor.

GTA V has been successful because they haven’t released the next one. It came out the end of the 360/ps3 era and they managed to get it on Xbox one and PS4 as people were upgrading at that point. It still continues to sell because there isn’t a sequel yet.
Rockstar decided to stop making sequels. As matter a fact, the only sequels they can make, are remakes, remasters, and remixes of the same game.

Half life 3 will release before GTA6, you heard it here first!

They’re definitely fearful of the next release…as anyone would be.

Look at Cameron after Titanic. Look at Cameron after Avatar. Same thing applies to Rockstar. They want to make sure they get it right, and they’ve been doing other stuff until they‘re sure they can get it right.

Now, can they get it right? The odds are NOT in their favor.
Pretty spot on.

Anything that doesn't come close to the financial success of GTA V will likely - to the internal upper management and financial investors - would be considered a failure.

That must be what is going to break or make the next sequel to the franchise, which leads me to believe that we may see a more formulaic and safe approach to the next game - something I hope I'm absolutely wrong about.

radewagon

If by successful, you mean making them a ton of money on the back-end, then, yeah, it's possible a new title won't be able to replicate that success. I'm honestly not sure how it happened in the first place. I played the game on PS4. Thought it was really good, but I have no desire to really go back to it. After the cumbersome nature of RDR2, I'm actually quite curious as to where Rockstar goes next. Hopefully they can strike a better balance between realism and enjoyable game design in the future as I'm becoming less and less interested in their output as the years go by.

ButchCat

It's definitely an outlier compared to the rest of the franchise, as most previous GTA games haven't managed to reach 30 mil let alone 150 mil, obv GTA online is the driving force behind this here and you can argue that it could've only dreamed of hitting this number without it even with the remasters, so it really comes down to how they are gonna go about tackling the next GTA online chapter. Will they switch to a subscription based model instead? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Yeah, I think the writing is on the wall at this point.
The series will never be what it was during the sixth generation trilogy of III / VC / SA.

kyliethicc

While you can argue which GTA was the best do you think that GTA V's success is so massive that there is no way that they will ever be able to top it? It gets to the point where you have to ask what else can be done? Again with GTA V being so popular for so long can they present more of the same and not face backlash? Some tough conversations are going to have to be had over at Rockstar---that's for sure.
There's no evidence there will be another GTA anytime soon.

Maybe we'll get GTA6 someday, but probably not for another 5-10 years.

Kinda hard to know if it peaked in 2013 if we don't get another one for 15 years.

of course there is a real possibility. key people at Rockstar have left. TakeTwo are more interested in milking the series with GTA Online so a proper single player type of game isn't a priority for them. we might keep getting them but they might not be on the scale of GTA V. also, GTA V is the #2 best selling game of all time...that's gonna be hard to beat even for GTA VI.

One of the greatest disappointments in gaming is that it's been 8 years since a new GTA game. That's just sad.

I have a feeling something new is coming soon.
if the rumor of a 2024 release date is real then we might get an announcement next year. usually Rockstar take a couple of years to release a game after they announce it. GTA V was announced October 2011 and it came out September 2013. Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced October 2016 and came out October 2018.

so yeah 2022/2023 for an announcement with release in 2024/2025 seems most likely. i did think we could get an announcement this year but with the PS5/XSX version delayed to 2022 i don't think Rockstar will say anything about it until late 2022 at the earliest.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Personally I think GTA as we knew it is over and at some point a new studio needs to take the open world genre in a new direction.

Rockstar was made great by talented people who no longer work there. Their best is done as far as I'm concerned. They will relase GTA5 next gen, then shortly after do the same thing for RDR2 imo. That will keep a steady income for a few years yet. Beyond that who knows

Catphish

No. As long as 6 is quality (and if RDR2’s tech is any indicator, it will be), it has the potential to do just as well as 5, if not better, especially if they keep pumping out new iterations for ever console release.

ripeavocado

Banned

I don't think it's the peak but close.

GTA V was the first showing that Rockstar has some issues which I expect are going to ruin the future games.

1) GTA has become a cinematic on rail experience set in an open world.
2) Gameplay wise they are not trying to do new things anymore.
3) They focus too much on stupid details nobody actually cares about while ignoring big features of the game (gameplay innovations, story).
4) They have thousands of employees that take 5 years to develop a game. GTA had to skip an entire generation.
5) Most of the people that made GTA successful have left.
6) Woke people have infiltrated Rockstar.
7) Take 2 sucks.
8) GTA Online has become their cash cow.

I expect GTA6 to be the worst GTA since GTA 1/2

RDR2 was great because of the story (inehriting from RDR and something GTA was never so good at) and the level of detail in the world but it also felt scripted, on rails and the world nice but too empty considering the amount of time and people that have worked on it.

It felt like Usain Bolt winning the 100m final > 9.90s

Yes he did it, but something is not right, he could have done MUCH better like he is used to.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Obvious troll is obvious.
No.
I really hate the single player. The story is terrible and makes no sense. The 3 character structure is terrible and unfocused. The physics are downgrade from 4.
I like 4 much more. The city is better, story is MUCH better, physics are better and the characters are so much better written. No joke. It's the PC port that made gta iv infamus. It still looks somewhat better on 360 (msaa, proper depth of field and contrast which are all ruined on pc)

Last edited:
More buildings you can enter. Fully destructible buildings. Darker storyline. More brutal death or gore animations. House/neighbourhood building? Possibly. There's always stuff that can be added.

TheMan

Honestly I hadn't considered that but yes, there is a possibility they've peaked. I mean, they can't hit a homerun every single time, there is bound to be a dud in the bunch. Plus, expectations are so high that even if they do release a competent game that won't be enough. It has to be insane to match expectations and that's hard to pull of consistently.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Yeah absolutely - one of the Housers left, seems like there’s tension about how “cinematic”/detailed to go, and major shift in priority from single-player/DLC to online - very easy to imagine them dropping the ball or at least going down in quality.

bender

What time is it?
I guess it depends on how much of lightning in a bottle we consider GTAV's online component to be. I'd continue to milk the hell out of GTAV with Shark Cards. No reason to release the next game until that revenue stream starts going the wrong direction.

Alandring

I think it will be hard, maybe even impossible, to sell another GTA to as much consumers.

But I also think that GTA VI could be even more profitable. It will probably be the fastest selling game ever at launch and GTA Online will be incredible, and probably cross-platform (including mobile).

Top Bottom