• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there enough in the pipeline to save the Wii U?

AniHawk

no, there's no saving the wii u. however, for the 6-8m people who will end up buying it between now and its discontinuation, and the current 6m owners, i think nintendo themselves is providing a pretty good variety of games for the remainder of its lifespan. people who own the system aren't being ignored by the first-party in charge, which is more than i can say about some other companies when it comes to failing platforms.

Probably would help if we all could agree on what a "dead" console actually means.

Both Wii U and Vita will continue to receive new software for some time [Wii U clearly with the stronger lineup of upcoming titles notwithstanding] but it is obvious at this point in time that neither hardware could reach lifetime sales so as to recoup the r & d costs, marketing, etc.

I consider both dead because neither one has any chance of being a real positive boon to either company

Bert

If by "save" you mean "drag it up to GC standards" I think: maybe.

Smash might have a similar effect to Mario Kart, but unless there's something surprising then it's a loooong wait until the next game of note (A Nintendo "2015" could be anywhere from January 2015 to some time 2017). Maybe a price cut around the holidays or in the new year would be the next boost?

It's got a library now that justifies picking it up if you really want one game. Zombii U, LEGO City, Pikmin, W101, SM3DW, MK8, NSMBU, NintendoLand, Wii Fit/Sports are all excellent games you can't get anywhere else. If you can find it for @200 for the console I can't see why any gamer worth their salt wouldn't pick one up as a second console now.

TDLink

Probably would help if we all could agree on what a "dead" console actually means.

Both Wii U and Vita will continue to receive new software for some time [Wii U clearly with the stronger lineup of upcoming titles notwithstanding] but it is obvious at this point in time that neither hardware could reach lifetime sales so as to recoup the r & d costs, marketing, etc.

I consider both dead because neither one has any chance of being a real positive boon to either company

I don't think they are comparable. Wii U is Nintendo's main console at the moment. Sony sees Vita as a PS4 accessory. Wii U is also allegedly already profitable.

AniHawk

I don't understand why they don't put a good sized hard drive in the WiiU. The lack of hard drive is the only thing that's keeping from buying a WiiU at this point. I like buying digital, so I need the hard drive. (I know you can hook up a separate hard drive, but that makes the WiiU a more expensive purchase.)

nintendo likes fast stuff. they like low latency for their gamepad (and such customization is partially why it's so hard to develop for from what i understand), and they like fast load times. i mean the os is slow as hell, but i think they wanted the game to move as smoothly as possible once it was started- probably mostly for families who might care more about longer load times. this sort of thing has sort of been the reason why they've made unusual hardware decisions since 1996.

maneil99

For every Nintendo game announced at E3 there are two PS4/X1 only multiplats announced. Wii U can't sell when another platform is required to play multiplatform games. Anyone that only owns a Wii U and not a PC/PS4/X1 has got to be crazy.

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
I think it can be saved. 7 months ago if someone had told me I'd be getting a Wii-U I would've laughed in their face. I've only had one a little over a day and a half now, but I think I'll like it much better than the Wii (which I gave away to a family member a year or two after launch). I'm really happy with all the couch co-op available. I think good things are on the horizon since nintendo is focused on real games and not motion control gimmicks. Someone needs to stop telling them to do stupid shit though. One of my friends was horrified when he saw Mario in a catsuit. I then showed him New Super Mario Bros and he was on board. Anyway, hopefully they keep on swinging since their backs are against the wall. They've turned me into a believer. I'd give the thing a 9/10, but the bathroom controller keeps losing connection when I'm on the toilet. They should've just included one of the regular controllers with a lower price and they'd be doing fine.

"Save" as in substantially change Wii U's position in the market? Then no.

They have done what everyone expected, show their popular franchises for the system and give core gamers a reasons to finally jump in.

If you are a core gamer that likes Nintendo games, they had a pretty good show that was also pretty entertaining to watch, Zelda looked great, Bayonetta 1+2 was a nice surprise and Splatoon seemed like good multiplayer fun. But still, no third party support in sight and nothing that could appeal to the masses, which means the system is still a niche product (loved by the core, mostly ignored by everyone else).

The best news for them in this sense is that the transition to PS4/XB1 development is taking some time, which may have slowed down the hype train for those systems somewhat.

It sitll boggles my mind that Nintendo refuse to take any action to save it. As if just releasing games that they think will sell will be enough.

Reducing the price would be a good start. Eat the loss if you have to. If needed they also could have released a version without the gamepad but instead they double down on that tech from what I have seen at E3.

Admit that the gamble failed and try to get back in the game by being proactive instead of releasing MK 8 and waiting it out. Even MS are trying, whats Nintendos excuse?

If the system had all the first party games they just announced plus third party in parity with
the other consoles, they wouldn't just be saved, it would start crunching numbers.

Bumhead

Banned
I think so.

Mario Kart has already been phenomenal. Too early to say how it's affecting long term sales, but it's kicked off an amazing recovery in Nintendo's image. Their E3 was the same way. Reading forums and what not, people are excited! The talk isn't all about doom and gloom anymore. "Winning" E3 makes the platform feel hip and cool.

As far as games go, they got Smash and Bayo as heavy hitters coming up plus Yoshi, other smaller titles like Captain Toad, and third party.

Not expecting PS4 levels of success, but healthy sales none the less. At least it should start outselling the Vita weekly.

But a lot of the reasons why Nintendo "won" E3 (and who exactly decided this?) is complete fluff that appeals only to very small sections of the gaming audience.

Eventually the furore over how good Nintendo Treehouse was and stuff like "Oh wow my two favourite corporate executives are having a pretend fight LOL!" are going to pass, and in the cold light of day we'll be left with what games they actually showed.

As for those games? Smash is going to be a big hit amongst existing Wii U owners and will help shift a relatively small amount of extra units, just like Mario Kart 8 has. Zelda will do the same in 2015. Beyond that? X isn't shifting significant numbers of extra hardware. Neither is Bayonetta. Yoshi and Captain Toad absolutely aren't. Splatoon, which for me was the ONE interesting and unique game to come out of Nintendo's E3 this year, will have its fans and playerbase but isn't going to break mass market appeal.

You're still looking at a console which is struggling for mass market appeal and you're still looking at a console which only has 1 or 2 titles over the next 12-18 months that can possibly hope to change that.

Nintendo had a good E3 in as much as that their interpretation of how to "present" the show worked, and in my opinion is something both Sony and Microsoft can learn from. Nintendo also had a good E3 in that the incredibly small number of existing Wii U owners - and a small amount of potential future owners - know they're getting Smash and Zelda between now and the end of 2015. But there's some serious overstating and hyperbole around here about how much Nintendo's "good" E3 is going to penetrate beyond NeoGAF or Reddit etc. As far as the wider market is concerned - both in terms of the "mass" market and the wider hardcore market - Sony and Microsoft both showed a significantly greater number of games that will appeal.

"Save" is pretty relative, as others have pointed out. It won't change the current trend tremendously and turn it into a sales behemoth. You're going to need multiplatform releases for that, which require a rough spec parity. It's best to give up on that idea.

What it probably will do is make WiiU users feel better about their purchase. I've got a lot of use out of my WiiU already and I'm glad that this will continue. People look back fondly to the Gamecube and Dreamcast due to its software, so working your way to that level won't be too bad of a software target.

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
It sitll boggles my mind that Nintendo refuse to take any action to save it. As if just releasing games that they think will sell will be enough.

Reducing the price would be a good start. Eat the loss if you have to. If needed they also could have released a version without the gamepad but instead they double down on that tech from what I have seen at E3.

Admit that the gamble failed and try to get back in the game by being proactive instead of releasing MK 8 and waiting it out. Even MS are trying, whats Nintendos excuse?

EXACTLY. I just posted about how the stupid toilet controller won't even work when I try to use it for it's intended purpose. The only negative thing I have to say about the console is that thing. I hate how hard they shove it down your throat. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to perform all tasks with my pro controller, but i constantly have to put it down and pickup the tablet if I want to do anything besides play a game. The thing's response is also horrendous. Trying to type out my e-mail address was ridiculous. Microsoft was quick and decisive when it came to making the kinect optional and now they have a cheaper console which will sell better. What is nintendo thinking not doing the same?

There were definitely some people that were saying Nintendo should stop making titles for the Wii U and have a successor ready by Fall 2015. As for whether the games are not Big Budget I think thats kinda of a useless term, I suspect even something like Zelda costs much less to make than your typical AAA game.You can't buy quality. I don't think anyone expected a Kirby, Star Fox, or New IP on Wii U so the fact that those exist is a huge win for Wii U owners.

The point I was trying to make is that a lot of people even Nintendo fans thought Wii U's 2015 would be like Wii's 2012, no games with a successor released at the end of the year and that would be it for Wii U. In a sense Nintendo did save Wii U and gave it at least two more years of support.
I got the impression that people thought that Nintendo should or would position themselves well for a next gen, rather than invest in more high production value titles for the Wii U. I recall a thread asking if Nintendo should keep investing in "AAA games" for the system. I don't think the should part has changed at all. The would part seems largely unchanged too. The biggest titles on the system will remain Smash Bros and Zelda, and it still seems unlikely anything much on that scale is going to be announced in future. That isn't to say the new announcements aren't great for the current and future owners, and don't serve to assuage any fears that there won't be anything to play on the system, given the lack of external support.

(PS I doubt creating a new HD Zelda game with an expansive world is going to end up inexpensive.)

danmaku

It's good for Nintendo because they are offering something the others are either completely ignoring or barely touching on. Games that appeal to all ages. Games that still support local multiplayer. Games that have a larger visual variety. Games that have a larger genre variety. Games that still have a Japanese flavour in a market with increasingly less of it.

The market has a whole may have shifted away from all of that, but there are plenty of people who still enjoy that sort of thing. Nintendo is the only company left truly providing a large amount of it now.

I have doubts about that "plenty", but we'll see. Also, if by "Japanese flavor" you mean Nintendo flavor you're right. If you mean Japanese devs support, I don't see a lot of effort in this direction (better wait for TGS before judging, though).

JoeM86

EXACTLY. I just posted about how the stupid toilet controller won't even work when I try to use it for it's intended purpose. The only negative thing I have to say about the console is that thing. I hate how hard they shove it down your throat. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to perform all tasks with my pro controller, but i constantly have to put it down and pickup the tablet if I want to do anything besides play a game. The thing's response is also horrendous. Trying to type out my e-mail address was ridiculous. Microsoft was quick and decisive when it came to making the kinect optional and now they have a cheaper console which will sell better. What is nintendo thinking not doing the same?

How does the GamePad not work? It works fine. I have no issues with response time or anything. Have you tried recalibrating the touch screen?

AniHawk

I got the impression that people thought that Nintendo should or would position themselves well for a next gen, rather than invest in more high production value titles for the Wii U. I recall a thread asking if Nintendo should keep investing in "AAA games" for the system. I don't think the should part has changed at all. The would part seems largely unchanged too. The biggest titles on the system will remain Smash Bros and Zelda, and it still seems unlikely anything much on that scale is going to be announced in future. That isn't to say the new announcements aren't great for the current and future owners, and don't serve to assuage any fears that there won't be anything to play on the system, given the lack of external support.

(PS I doubt creating a new HD Zelda game with an expansive world is going to end up inexpensive.)

i get the feeling that all projects created for the wii u that are of zelda's scale were started before it was known the system would be the disaster it was. xenoblade, smash bros., and zelda may all have similar levels of production values. splatoon, yoshi, kirby, and captain toad all look wonderful, but i doubt they're taking up quite as many resources. star fox also seems really early to be a year away. smt x fe is probably the only unknown, perhaps big-budget title in the works, and that's something that was also revealed at nintendo's january 2013 expanicganza.

that said, splatoon's received a good deal of buzz coming out of the show. i don't know what it will do on the wii u (i doubt it pushes consoles in 2015), but it seems like the thing that could get big on a future platform.

Cheerilee

Wii U is Nintendo's least profitable/most unprofitable hardware in history. Iwata preloaded price drops into it at launch because he thought the gamepad was something we all wanted (as opposed to next-gen graphics, which apparently we don't), and then he was forced to drop the price even farther when the launch fizzled.

Nintendo made preparations to make 12 million consoles. They sold 6 million. So Iwata aborted 6 million units. He now says that "making more units" has become profitable, but what he really means is that "completing those aborted units" is profitable.

Factories that once made vital Wii U components are now dead and buried, but the amount that they stockpiled before going under is unclear, which is why people say they might be able to make 12-15 million consoles. It depends on how many spare parts are left, and how important they are.

Wii U will never reach GameCube's 22 million. Nor will it sell as many games as GameCube did (GameCube had the highest game sales ratio of any console in Nintendo history).

Iwata described the GameCube's 22 million as being well below the failure point, and below the point where Nintendo should pack it up and quit the videogame industry.

Success for Wii U is going to be going out at 12-15 million with it's head held high, without needing to resort to a Dreamcast-style fire sale, and with gamers being satisfied that they had enough games to play, rather than cursing Nintendo for tricking them into buying a worthless piece of junk.

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
How does the GamePad not work? It works fine. I have no issues with response time or anything. Have you tried recalibrating the touch screen?
Yes, I tried. Typing out an email address for example is just a nightmare. I have big hands, b I t I know I'm hitting the right keys. I constantly have to press buttons twice, but that might be the slow menus and me being impatient. The responsiveness is nothing close to my phone's. But the real problem is that it won't work in my bathroom or bedroom. They really aren't very far from where my console is located either. Without that I see no point to the gamepad.

No there is no saving it I don't think, but if you're looking to buy something for the kids I think it's the best option for this year. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, and of course Skylanders and Disney Infinity will release this year, along with all the past exclusives.

It still gets more play in my house than my PS4.

JoeM86

Yes, I tried. Typing out an email address for example is just a nightmare. I have big hands, b I t I know I'm hitting the right keys. I constantly have to press buttons twice, but that might be the slow menus and me being impatient. The responsiveness is nothing close to my phone's. But the real problem is that it won't work in my bathroom or bedroom. They really aren't very far from where my console is located either. Without that I see no point to the gamepad.

Ah, I think the problem is you're treating it as a capacitive screen. It's resistive.

As for reach, that varies. It works fine for me anywhere in my house, but you must have different material density in your walls.

AniHawk

there's this rumor floating around that they're basically sitting on a good deal of already-produced gamepads, made with the expectation that the wii u wouldn't pull its best sega saturn impression.

and i think they did quite a lot to show the platform is actually going to be well-supported for the next 18 months. it may not translate into huge sales, but if they can actually profit off the machine, that's about the best they can hope for right now.

They drop the price and then what? The monthly baseline goes from 50k to 70k, and they make less money?
Dropping the price isn't going to fix the software droughts, high game prices, and bad branding.

Also, Nintendo doesn't have a direct rival in the same way MS does. They're never going to react to SONY's PS4 selling well, because it has nothing to do with their market(Kids, families, casuals, and Nintendo fans)
They'd probably be a little more reactive if some company named Mamtambu was creating platformers that sell 10 million copies on a well supported cheap family focused console that is selling like hot cakes.
:p

deleted

This years E3 was really good for Nintendo and showed every fan a glimpse of what they want and expect from Nintendo - old titles in a new light and new titles that innovate.

IMO it also shows where Nintendo went wrong at the start:

Instead of pushing these very titles first, they prioritized to push 'casual' titles like Wii Fit, the Wii Sports pack, NSMBU etc. in hopes of capturing the casual audience while neglecting their core fanbase.

Had they tried it the other way round, I guess the success would have been bigger (by what margin is arguable). Positive word of mouth, imaginative HD upgrades to software of old, new titles, that may capture entirely other audiences.. After that put out Sports/Fit etc. when you already build up goodwill from gamers to get the casual audience back.

All in all, I think this will not be enough for a PS3 like turnaround, but if the sales stabilize, they may get Ubisoft, Activision and Warner back on board for relatively solid 3rd Party lineup. GameCube numbers are certainly in the cards again, even if it won't be much more.

Neff

This years E3 was really good for Nintendo and showed every fan a glimpse of what they want and expect from Nintendo - old titles in a new light and new titles that innovate.

IMO it also shows where Nintendo went wrong at the start:

Instead of pushing these very titles first, they prioritized to push 'casual' titles like Wii Fit, the Wii Sports pack, NSMBU etc. in hopes of capturing the casual audience while neglecting their core fanbase.

Had they tried it the other way round, I guess the success would have been bigger (by what margin is arguable). Positive word of mouth, imaginative HD upgrades to software of old, new titles, that may capture entirely other audiences.. After that put out Sports/Fit etc. when you already build up goodwill from gamers to get the casual audience back.

This isn't quite right. Wii Sports and Wii Fit released some time after launch. The pick of the bunch at release was Nintendo Land (legacy fanservice MP game), Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, NG3 Razor's Edge, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, ZombiU (pretty much the definition of a core title), and NSMBU (which, for all the 'casual' derision it received, is a very challenging action game). Their plans to placate core gamers, at least compared to Wii, was outlined from the beginning, but nobody noticed or cared.

Saleswise? No, probably not.

But the Wii U has earned a place in my heart right next to the Dreamcast as one of my favorite consoles ever. It has plenty of top tier games and amazing exclusives both out now, and coming in the future. It's an awesome little box that deserves a spot on any gamers shelf.

Yep. I have a dozen or so retail games for Wii U (and 30 or so download titles), all of which I enjoyed, and continue to enjoy. For a year-and-a-half old system, that's pretty damn good imo.

Wii U can't sell when another platform is required to play multiplatform games. Anyone that only owns a Wii U and not a PC/PS4/X1 has got to be crazy.

Change PS4/X1 to PS3/360 and you have a case.

Shiina

Not commercially I don't think but I believe there is now enough out there (and in the pipeline) to attract ``core gamers'' to it. Much like the Vita currently.
I still can't see myself getting one until they at least get rid of the region lock or someone finds a way to bypass it.

Define 'save'. It's not going to overtake PS4 or Xbox One in terms of WW sales by the end of the gen, but there's a hell of a lot for existing and future owners to get excited about. 2015 is packed.

TeaFan

Ive been on the fence about getting one but after seeing mario kart 8 and zelda i think im going to pull the trigger and get one to go along with my pc

I think a growing number of the core playerbase has no substantial interest in Nintendo type games, not when Nintendo is competing with itself through the 3DS and the ever present mobile eating the casual marketshare .

You only have to look at MS and Sony's E3's to see which games are the most popular with core gamers, cinematic / gritty shooters / sports while Nintendo style games are left to mostly indies as budget titles.

Until Nintendo can attract western 3rd parties they'll continue to be niche, however the premium pricepoint of their evergreen titles means they can double down on their "niche" and still make money.

Not that any of this should matter in making a purchasing decision, only a moron puts popularity before games.

random25

The term "save" seems a bit vague. If you mean selling like 100+ million most likely not barring any miracle. And I also think the other consoles will not even reach that number anyway.

But if "save" mean making Wii U profitable then yes. 1st party titles have been the other big life support for Nintendo and if in its small install base they can sell 3million upwards for their big titles and some good hundred thousands for smaller projects then that will make Nintendo sustain the life of Wii U. With their current and future lineup, I can see them increase the install base to more than 15 million when it's all said and done. Won't be also surprised if it ended up selling more than Gamecube. We have yet to see how much MK8 moved consoles worldwide, so expectations need to be kept in check for the meantime.

I definitely see both Smash Bros, and Zelda having their fair share of mass appeal if done right. Those certainly aren't "niche" titles. Hell, even Splatoon might attract a brand new audience.

I don't see Wii U ever catching up to Xbone or PS4, but I doubt Nintendo does either.

Forkball

Those who own a Wii U should be very happy as there's a lot of great titles coming. However, it could still be ignored by people who don't have the console yet. Many of the titles shown are over a year away, so it's not like Wii U is going to have killer sales in June or July of this year. It might do, uh, better this winter with Smash and maybe grow gradually over 2015, but I can't see it exploding.

No, the vast majority of people don't give a fuck about E3. the wii-u is as dead as it was before, nothing is saving it. while i might sound really negative, it's the ugly truth. there is simply no interest for the system or it's features.

xandaca

If they had a game or two in the near future to follow Mario Kart and start building momentum, their chances would be better if still slim. As it is, MK's already had a pretty severe second week drop off in the UK, probably mirrored elsewhere, and I should think things will be back to normal very soon. Once again, 2014 is back-loaded (with Bayonetta, Smash Bros, Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors all supposedly out in the last three months of the year) with virtually nothing in the lead-up. Even if Devil's Third comes out much earlier than expected, and turns out much better than expected, it'll still be an almost completely barren summer. Again. 2015 is looking better, with Zelda presumably the holiday game and X, Kirby, Yoshi, Splatoon and presumably SMT x FE to back it up, but given how Nintendo have spread out their games previously, all those will probably be crowded within a few months of each other.

geordiemp

But a lot of the reasons why Nintendo "won" E3 (and who exactly decided this?) is complete fluff that appeals only to very small sections of the gaming audience.

Eventually the furore over how good Nintendo Treehouse was and stuff like "Oh wow my two favourite corporate executives are having a pretend fight LOL!" are going to pass, and in the cold light of day we'll be left with what games they actually showed.

As for those games? Smash is going to be a big hit amongst existing Wii U owners and will help shift a relatively small amount of extra units, just like Mario Kart 8 has. Zelda will do the same in 2015. Beyond that? X isn't shifting significant numbers of extra hardware. Neither is Bayonetta. Yoshi and Captain Toad absolutely aren't. Splatoon, which for me was the ONE interesting and unique game to come out of Nintendo's E3 this year, will have its fans and playerbase but isn't going to break mass market appeal.

You're still looking at a console which is struggling for mass market appeal and you're still looking at a console which only has 1 or 2 titles over the next 12-18 months that can possibly hope to change that.

Nintendo had a good E3 in as much as that their interpretation of how to "present" the show worked, and in my opinion is something both Sony and Microsoft can learn from. Nintendo also had a good E3 in that the incredibly small number of existing Wii U owners - and a small amount of potential future owners - know they're getting Smash and Zelda between now and the end of 2015. But there's some serious overstating and hyperbole around here about how much Nintendo's "good" E3 is going to penetrate beyond NeoGAF or Reddit etc. As far as the wider market is concerned - both in terms of the "mass" market and the wider hardcore market - Sony and Microsoft both showed a significantly greater number of games that will appeal.

Great post, yes there are hundred of Nintendo won E3 posts on GAF and Tree house and splatoon are the great inventions...but maybe only to the already invested Nintendo CAPTIVE audience...

If NPD and WiiU fortunes change the n they will be proved right, if no change then its it will be what it is.....

I've been catching up on the existing catalog this year to my great satisfaction, and I've liked the look of the majority of what's coming down the pipe for 2015, but I have no illusions that this system will ever be a success compared to the competition. I think it's remotely possible that over its lifetime it may be a bigger success than the GameCube, if we're just counting units sold.

We'll only know if the Dreamcast comparisons are apt if we get posts in 10 years asking how a system with so many good games wasn't successful. Anyone making those posts will probably struggle to come up with a software list that really compares to the Dreamcast's, though. I guess that depends on how long the WiiU will survive.

Shojx

"Save" is too subjective.

There's likely enough in the pipeline (combined with currently released titles) to satisfy gamers who have either already purchased the Wii U, were on the fence about getting one, or will purchase the Wii U down the road. The quality titles are there with more on the way. Unfortunately, third party titles are always going to be swimming against the current here.
Against the PS4 & Xbox One, the Wii U is a tough sell and the lack of support doesn't help either. If a title looks and performs significantly better on a rival system, then I'm unlikely to purchase it for Wii U.

I think the Wii U's potential lies within its familiar franchises, first party titles, and its exclusives.

As long as Nintendo keeps that in mind, I think it'll do okay.

Gosh though, it's so strange seeing people compare the Wii U to the Gamecube. I guess it's more of a "units sold" kind of comparison but still. I think the Wii U's best days are still ahead of it, but compared to my GC, I've barely touched it at all outside of Mario 3D World & Mario Kart (and I've had it since launch).

The GC though, damn, I played the living crap out of that system, from the very beginning. I played it more than my PS2 during that gen, and I got both of them at launch. Games like Melee, Wind Waker, Sunshine, SA2B/DX, Kirby Air Ride, Animal Crossing, Symphonia, TTYD, to name some of my favorites off the top of my head. Definitely rivaled my N64 gaming days.

I'm sure we'll get even more great games for the Wii U too, but I don't know if it'll rival my GC/N64 experiences.

It doesn't matter why they won E3, but that they did. Or at least that a lot of people think they did. Doom and gloom talk is a poison. At least for the past couple weeks, Nintendo has been free from it. That's HUGE! Great NPD numbers next week can just keep this train rolling. As long as people start thinking the Wii U is making a comeback, then it'll actually make a comeback.

I disagree. Most people put way too much weight on software selling hardware.

Just look at PS4. At launch it had Killzone, Knack, indies, and 3rd party. At the time infamous and the order 1886 were announced. Fun and enjoyable games, but a mediocer lineup overall. Didn't stop the system from having a record breaking launch.

The public image of a console is the most important thing. The games themselves only indirectly matter.

As for those games? Smash is going to be a big hit amongst existing Wii U owners and will help shift a relatively small amount of extra units, just like Mario Kart 8 has.

What are you even talking about? NPD hasn't released yet. The only info on Wii U sales post MK8 is from the system getting huge bumps week on week. Unless you're going off of vg-chartz, you don't have the info to say one way or another how MK8 has effected console sales.

geordiemp

Wii U is Nintendo's least profitable/most unprofitable hardware in history. Iwata preloaded price drops into it at launch because he thought the gamepad was something we all wanted (as opposed to next-gen graphics, which apparently we don't), and then he was forced to drop the price even farther when the launch fizzled.

Nintendo made preparations to make 12 million consoles. They sold 6 million. So Iwata aborted 6 million units. He now says that "making more units" has become profitable, but what he really means is that "completing those aborted units" is profitable.

Factories that once made vital Wii U components are now dead and buried, but the amount that they stockpiled before going under is unclear, which is why people say they might be able to make 12-15 million consoles. It depends on how many spare parts are left, and how important they are.

Wii U will never reach GameCube's 22 million. Nor will it sell as many games as GameCube did (GameCube had the highest game sales ratio of any console in Nintendo history).

Iwata described the GameCube's 22 million as being well below the failure point, and below the point where Nintendo should pack it up and quit the videogame industry.

Success for Wii U is going to be going out at 12-15 million with it's head held high, without needing to resort to a Dreamcast-style fire sale, and with gamers being satisfied that they had enough games to play, rather than cursing Nintendo for tricking them into buying a worthless piece of junk.

Wow - is that really true, N secretly only plan to make another 6 or so million then move on ?

Surely if Wiiu kicked off they would find others to make parts ? (just being logical, don't think it will)

geordiemp

It doesn't matter why they won E3, but that they did. Or at least that a lot of people think they did. Doom and gloom talk is a poison. At least for the past couple weeks, Nintendo has been free from it. That's HUGE! Great NPD numbers next week can just keep this train rolling. As long as people start thinking the Wii U is making a comeback, then it'll actually make a comeback.

Look forward to discussing this with you in the NPD thread. Hope to see you there to back up your prediction.

Nintendo won E3 according to Nintendo owners.

The winner who got the mindshare of the buying public will be displayed in the NPD thread.

Neff

System is in dire need of a price drop.

$250 in time for Smash, then continuing throughout 2015 and Zelda U, then down to a 'fuck it, let's just give it away' pricepoint of $200 + game in 2016. A cost-cutting remodel may happen somewhere along the line.

Wow - is that really true, N secretly only plan to make another 6 or so million then move on ?

Surely if Wiiu kicked off they would find others to make parts ? (just being logical, don't think it will)

They probably would go the remodel route if it came to such a scenario where it was difficult or impractical to make current model Wii Us.

"Save" is too subjective.

Indeed it is.

Miles X

No, apart from Zelda and Smash it has no upcoming system sellers. Bayo, X, Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors ect are far too niche. Couple that with seemingly no multiplats (or at least very few, which don't do well anyway).

$250 in time for Smash, then continuing throughout 2015 and Zelda U, then down to a 'fuck it, let's just give it away' pricepoint of $200 + game in 2016. A cost-cutting remodel may happen somewhere along the line.

They're still losing money on it are they not? To get to "Nintendo like profits" like Iwata has claimed (again) they can't be losing money on WiiU hardware. Especially with low software and 3DS not exactly setting the world alight anymore.

Look forward to discussing this with you in the NPD thread. Hope to see you there to back up your prediction.

Nintendo won E3 according to Nintendo owners.

The winner who got the mindshare of the buying public will be displayed in the NPD thread.

I agree, this is hilarious. WiiU with arguably it's biggest ever game (next to Smash) will push sales on par with Xbox One which is considered to be doing badly and will have a very low month due to people waiting on the $399 bundle. I mean talk about pyrrhic victory.

Nessus

I think Nintendo's performance at E3 has convinced some hardcore Nintendo fans to finally get off the fence (I know 3 people, including myself, who will probably be getting a Wii U before August now, and I know I've seen posts here on NeoGAF to that effect).

I still think Wii U will end up selling less than GameCube when all's said and done, though I'd like to be wrong.

I dont think so and its a bit of a shame. The 3rd party relations were really bad and the marketing isnt as good as in the Wii gen. Anyway, zelda for cheap i guess!

Neff

They're still losing money on it are they not? To get to "Nintendo like profits" like Iwata has claimed (again) they can't be losing money on WiiU hardware. Especially with low software and 3DS not exactly setting the world alight anymore.

They are, or were, suffering operating losses, but the WIi U hardware itself is profitable now and has been for a while. They can probably afford incremental pricecuts if the hardware becomes cheaper to manufacture and the software does well over time.

Or they may just come to a point where they gamble the thing away like they did with Gamecube. But they had skyrocketing GBA sales at the time to offset that, so maybe not.

Top Bottom