• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there enough in the pipeline to save the Wii U?

thefro

Pushmo World
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Bayonetta 2 + Bayonetta Wii U
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Splatoon
Yoshi's Woolly World
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario Maker
Zelda Wii U

Fatal Frame Wii U
Devil's Third
various indie games

anything else?

Star Fox Wii U
Mario Party 10
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Wii Sports Club
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

Z3M0G

wait for smash.

just wait.

Is Smash really that much of a thing? Honestly?

I have a buddy who is a hardcore Nintendo fanboy... he buys all the big Nintendo games... but I don't think he's even considering Smash.

Will it really sell systems? Really??

BowieZ

Banned
Star Fox Wii U
Mario Party 10
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Wii Sports Club
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
duh. How did I miss those lol (and PROJECT ROBOT and CAMERA thingo)

And I suppose WSC retail is a (relatively) significant factor.

Metallix87

I'm with him fairly often and have seen how he acts with his friends. Theres always someone at home and luckily enough for him, he has an older sister going to the same school, so he wouldnt have a chance to act differently. I've seen how he acts when he plays games. He doesn't swear or yell or scream, he's mostly chatting with his friends and laughing it up over how great a game they've played or whatever. I think I have a pretty good idea of who he is, and CoD didn't do anything bad to him. Maybe it is because our parents and myself have instilled in him from a very early age what is right, wrong and how to act to appropriately. Personally I think it'd be pretty difficult for a kid to fake that for 6 years.

Which is why it should be up to the parent, that's what content advisory is for. To inform parents.
Indeed, but it sounds like your parents are actively involved in ensuring your siblings are brought up right, which is becoming more rare as time goes on.

The best course of action is involved parenthood. You can try and keep your kid away from questionable content at home but what happens when he goes to a friends house and what happens when he hears foul language on the playground? If you are active in properly raising your kid then they know what is suitable behavior in real life and what is just fiction. I was in the 5th grade when Mortal Kombat was released and the arcade machine took my quarters like it did everyone else's. I didn't think it was normal for people's heads to get chopped off or to kill people. Remember those games with the machine guns on the cabinet, yep played plenty of those. Exploding bodies galore in those games and plenty of kids played them.

Video games are just a convenient excuse to cover the asses of crappy parents. As a kid we went outside and played cops and robbers, cowboy, ninja turtles, etc....all make believe games that involved using some sort of weapon and we turned out fine. But now kids playing with weapons is seen as future criminal practice.
You're ignoring three major changes since then:

1.) Improved visual fidelity.

2.) Online communities.

3.) More lax parenting overall.

RiggyRob

I have a buddy who is a hardcore Nintendo fanboy... he buys all the big Nintendo games... but I don't think he's even considering Smash.

It'll sell systems, but not enough to save the Wii U. It's not as popular as Mario Kart, although word of mouth about Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man should be pretty good.

Of course, you're on NeoGAF, so the hardcore Nintendo fan will be very vocal about it here.

Opiate

No. I will reiterate my belief that Nintendo and its fans are better off cutting the chord as soon as possible and planning for the future. That doesn't necessarily mean the system should get zero new games, just that Nintendo's focus should already be on the horizon.

1upmuffin

Yeah, a bunch of Smash fans will buy the console just for Smash, and if competitive play catches on it will keep selling as more people want to join the competitive scene. I don't think it's gonna sell crazy amounts of consoles but it will be some.

I think Zelda will be a good console seller too, especially to people that have a fondness for Nintendo but haven't bought a Nintendo console in awhile.

Smash seems to be pretty big, I know non-gamer people and non-Nintendo gamers who just love Smash and MK for some reason. This will probably be Wii U's best year with MK8 and Smash, doubt the install base will grow much bigger after that.

No. I will reiterate my belief that Nintendo and its fans are better off cutting the chord as soon as possible and planning for the future. That doesn't necessarily mean the system should get zero new games, just that Nintendo's focus should already be on the horizon.

Definitely.
I know this is going to get flak but they should have let the Wii U die this E3. Unveiled the next console + Zelda and X for holiday 2015. Within 4 months surpass install base of the Wii Uz

Now all they did was commit a lot of resources to a patient that though he got a blood transfusion still is visiting the reaper soon.

Got 16 Wii U Games so far, 19 pre-ordered. Most of them are Wii U exclusives.

As a owner of a potent PC the Wii U is the only console that has enough in the pipeline. It will take a long time until I consider a XBone or PS4.

MilesTeg

Banned

Iwata has even said they are planning their next hardware. He said that they need to make sure current owners of their hardware are satisfied with that hardware. So yeah, Nintendo is looking to the future but they won't launch without releasing more software first for Wii U.

Personally Nintendo did a lot more than I was expecting for Wii U this E3. 2015 was a barren wasteland beforehand, now they actually have a decent lineup in place. I thought they would announce maybe two-three games for 2015 and keep us in the dark for the rest. I was pleasantly surprised to see otherwise.

So as a fan, I'm better off cutting the chord on the system I already paid for, so that Nintendo's bottom line can do better on the next console they put out and charge me for?

I know you're a mod and everything, but please do explain this to me, as I cannot see how it's better 'for the fans' that Nintendo drops focus on the console they've already bought. As a fan, I'm getting more games for Wii U. Great looking ones at that. How am I worse off as a gamer because of it?

jdw_b

Definitely.
I know this is going to get flak but they should have let the Wii U die this E3. Unveiled the next console + Zelda and X for holiday 2015. Within 4 months surpass install base of the Wii Uz

Now all they did was commit a lot of resources to a patient that though he got a blood transfusion still is visiting the reaper soon.

This (bolded) seems unlikely

Not only would they be alienating people who bought a Wii U, they'd also create a very toxic image of themselves as a company that would happily abandon their customer base

Metallix87

I'm fairly sure Nintendo's focus is already on the horizon. To me, it seems like they've resolved to let the Wii U be a device to build up HD developing experience, while also trying to "make amends" with core Nintendo gamers who felt burned by the Wii.

E-phonk

Banned

I agree in a sense, but differently than what you might mean.

I would let their teams focus on smaller games & new IP for Wii U in 2015-2016, while starting bigger projects for the launch of their new console november 2016.
Quick transition, while giving WiiU a 4 year lifespan (5 years since they'll keep selling it in 2017) and some great games where the core nintendo fans can look back to optimistically.

No FIFA (NBA/NHL/Madden), no Call of Doodie, no Ego-Shooters (Destiny, Titanfall). So... No.

Afaik Call of Duty WiiU is announced for release on november 4th.

Definitely.

Them letting the Wii U die now would have pissed me off, and I'm probably not the only one. The Wii U is 2 years old this christmas. I want at least another year out of the Wii U, preferably 2 years. I also want them to be prepared for their next console, rushing another console out won't do anyone good.

Azerare

There's enough great first party games to justify a purchase. I just bought one recently for Mario kart and I'm already excited for the future it has.

I see a lot of people on here worrying about the whole "nintendoomed" yet most have not bought a wii u yet. What's the reasoning for that?

Them letting the Wii U die now would have pissed me off, and I'm probably not the only one. The Wii U is 2 years old this christmas. I want at least another year out of the Wii U, preferably 2 years. I also want them to be prepared for their next console, rushing another console out won't do anyone good.

If they showed that Zelda trailer plus X with even better visuals coming Christmas next year you would all buy it. Let's not pretend we would hold the failure of the Wii U against them. This is a company with lots of failed systems depending on your viewpoint.

Indeed, but it sounds like your parents are actively involved in ensuring your siblings are brought up right, which is becoming more rare as time goes on.

You're ignoring three major changes since then:

1.) Improved visual fidelity.

2.) Online communities.

3.) More lax parenting overall.

Number 3 is the most important. It's a night and day difference between a kid with parents active in their lives and kids who don't have that.

I saw Predator and Predator 2 at the drive in theater.........I was 5 and 8 respectively. Games haven't reached the visual fidelity of live movies yet and those two were pretty graphic.

Back then we didn't have the capability to block channels on cable, if you had a cable box in your room you could watch anything. Me and my friends would watch all types of rated R movies and Skinamax. We didn't turn into misbehaved foul mouthed kids at school or oversexualized children because our parents actually raised us.

Stop excusing crappy parents.

Vlade

I really don't think that's reasonable. Even if they are condemned to a bad gen sales wise, they can't cut it short. They can't say to people "Hey, wait until next time". They can't pull support and put people on stuff that won't come out for 3 years.

We all know wii u is a failure in sales. The focus probably already is on the horizon, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo should overtly tell everyone that they aren't going to be fun for a while, and introduce a gen 8.5 console or something.

Moving on with this gen and making it great fun wise and reestablishing links with the industry is exactly what they should do and what it appears they are doing. Should be an awesome ride too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
They need to get the price down to $250 by this holiday. I think there are enough games out and in the pipeline to make someone who likes Nintendo games jump in, but $300 is still too high.

The system is tracking behind the Gamecube obviously- what people might not remember is that IIRC at the same point in the GC's history, the price was $150 and soon to be $100.

$250 with Smash might be enough to salvage Gamecube-esque failure instead of the track it is currently on.

Jinko

I would say no, but if I was forced to buy a console right now, WiiU does seem like the best choice as far as games go.

This, Nintendo need to focus on the next console games whilst maintaining some future content for WiiU, they really need to hit the gate running with their next console.

Edit:- Oh yea and get some frikking 3rd party support Nintendo, you need someone to pick up your slack when things get quiet.

Dr. Buni

I am tempted to buy a Wii U, but I am afraid they might stop giving it support next year or in 2016 and that would totally suck. :/
wait for smash.

just wait.
Smash 3DS will eat a big part of the sales the Wii U version could have. Don't count on it.
Personally smash looked to be more of Brawl but slightly faster with others having a similar impression from the demos. I didn't want another Melee but another Brawl game is something I have no interest in.
Great. I am even more excited for the game after reading various comments about it being more similar to Brawl than to Melee. Melee was easily my least favorite game in the series.

Oppo

Definitely not but it's nice that we will get a couple amazing games before we give it a Viking funeral.

Pretty much.

I think they've 'saved' it from almost total ignominy with the existing small owner base, which is a good thing. And their conference was entertaining. But it won't move the needle much with the greater public, if at all.

Same thing with Vita although that is a different case ('saved' by indies and Remote Play / streaming functionality, but is essentially dead in the water as an independent a platform.)

Nintendo is good but they just can't fight the whole world, i.e. 3rd party.

MilesTeg

Banned
If they showed that Zelda trailer plus X with even better visuals coming Christmas next year you would all buy it. Let's not pretend we would hold the failure of the Wii U against them. This is a company with lots of failed systems depending on your viewpoint.

For a lot of people the Wii U was a paperweight until MK8 came out. I am certainly past the point of buying Nintendo platforms on blind faith. Them releasing a new console next year would result in me having a wait and see type attitude towards their new box.

What makes you think that, resolution and possible AA aside, Zelda and X would look better than they do now on a new system? Monolith Soft has got limited resources to work with, and I imagine X is already maxing their studio out. Likewise, what could they do to make Zelda U look better that they haven;t already done with art-style?

Massively improving the visuals in either game would require massively inflating the budget and staff even more, and there's no reason for Nintendo to do either when they're already spending a huge amount of money on these games.

No I would not, I'm not interested in X and I'm not buying another console so soon for Zelda(I love Zelda). If you think Nintendo fans will follow them no matter what they do, you're wrong. Sega thought the same.

Ludist210

To the average consumer, I don't think so. There's not much AAA third-party software coming out to attract them. If the average joe doesn't like Mario, Zelda, etc., they aren't coming here (Bayonetta 2 aside, which looks fantastic and got a sale from me).

To the informed gamer, I think so. A lot happening on the indie side, and Nintendo's offerings are looking fantastic on top of what they already have available.

It won't match Wii numbers, but I think it will still be a system that is remembered for a nice library when it's all said and done.

Metallix87

Stop excusing crappy parents.
I'm not excusing crappy parents. Unfortunately, though, our society enables them to continue on unhindered, so those in my field are forced to suffer the consequences. Thus, it behooves me to stress the importance of content ratings.

melman101

I'm not sure what bringing out a new console gets them, unless they have a "new" idea that will invigorate their console business. I don't think they have that now.

I think they are still going to continue with the Wii U for a while.

Azerare

They need to get the price down to $250 by this holiday. I think there are enough games out and in the pipeline to make someone who likes Nintendo games jump in, but $300 is still too high.

The system is tracking behind the Gamecube obviously- what people might not remember is that IIRC at the same point in the GC's history, the price was $150 and soon to be $100.

$250 with Smash might be enough to salvage Gamecube-esque failure instead of the track it is currently on.
I definitely agree the price is still too steep. I recently picked up my friends extra deluxe for $150 (he's bought two of each model for collecting).
I'd say I would have willing picked it up at $200-$250. That's a fair price point comparing it to its current competition (xbone and ps4)

Oppo

I'm not excusing crappy parents. Unfortunately, though, our society enables them to continue on unhindered, so those in my field are forced to suffer the consequences. Thus, it behooves me to stress the importance of content ratings.

Sidebar – I dont have kids, but I would be ok with the industry agreeing to ship the console with parental controls defaulting to on. That way almost everyone would discover them.

Lo-Volt

Frankly no, and considering their performance for the last few generations besides the Wii (the exception that now proves the rule), I'd be skeptical that another Nintendo console would really do better at this point.

Beyond the Nintendo faithful, their home console is getting the most apathetic reception I can remember in my life, and hardcore fans don't seem to be enough to make these endeavors worthwhile. The 3DS seemed to be faltering in the last few NPDs, and making a good amount of money out of the Wii U seems like a blood-from-a-stone exercise. I mean, sorry, but if the install base of the GameCube is the best-case scenario...

R0ckman

Was there really anything brought to E3 on the Wii front we didn't know about? They seem to pretend like they have some secrets but then all the showed were stuff when knew have been in the oven. I guess the Squid Shoote and a couple of demo looking games from Miyamoto were enough?

jinutsu

Neo Member
For what it's worth I decided to pull the trigger on a Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle yesterday. Went to WM and they had 2 Wii U's left, both were the Mario Bros Wii U bundle. I got home and searched online to find that all of my local WM's are out of stock. Every GameStop within a 100 mile radius is out of them too. Their website is sold out as well. Best Buy is the same story. Nintendo clearly did something right with the MK8 bundle.

If Nintendo were to go all-in with the pricing of these bundles as they have with MK8 I think they can pull themselves back up to a respectable sales level. Their biggest issue now will be the gap between the MK8 hype and Smash Bros and anything after Smash releases. A price drop of the non-MK8 bundle would really help. Right now the value of the MK8 bundle is too good to pass up and I won't buy any of the other bundles for that reason.

schuelma

Was there really anything brought to E3 on the Wii front we didn't know about? They seem to pretend like they have some secrets but then all the showed were stuff when knew have been in the oven. I guess the Squid Shoote and a couple of demo looking games from Miyamoto were enough?

As far as previously unknown titles, you have Captain Toad, Kirby, Mario Maker, Splatoon, and the 3 Miyamoto projects.

And then you had previously unannounced but obvious stuff like Zelda and Mario Party 10.

Seemed pretty decent to me.

Metallix87

Sidebar – I dont have kids, but I would be ok with the industry agreeing to ship the console with parental controls defaulting to on. That way almost everyone would discover them.
You'd likely be surprised by how many parents already know about parental controls and simply don't care. Still, your idea is better than what exists now, so I support it.

No I would not, I'm not interested in X and I'm not buying another console so soon for Zelda(I love Zelda). If you think Nintendo fans will follow them no matter what they do, you're wrong. Sega thought the same.

Bro they made the Virtual Boy, The Gamecube and then the Wii.

People make decisions on what entices them. People play Nintendo consoles for games. The reason Wii U is dying is because they failed on the one front we love Nintendo for bring us great games. Not rehashes not things just dressed up bring us new games.

Mario Kart 8 is honestly the first game on the system that has felt that way to me. Zelda and Mario are what we buy this thing for and the next Zelda is everything we want. A fresh approach that hits all the right notes.

It would sell massively.

No. Wii U owners are freaking out though because I think we honestly expected no games at all. So when they showed Zelda and it looked better than we imagined that was pretty much all they needed.

schuelma

I definitely agree the price is still too steep. I recently picked up my friends extra deluxe for $150 (he's bought two of each model for collecting).
I'd say I would have willing picked it up at $200-$250. That's a fair price point comparing it to its current competition (xbone and ps4)

One of the mods has made this point repeatedly (Nirolak?), but I do think there is the potential for a decent amount of gamers to pick up the system at some point as a secondary system- but $300 is just way too high.

Well, I ordered the MK8 bundle based on Nintendo's E3 conference so if I'm at all indicative of the general gaming population I'd say they've done something right at E3. Especially considering that I'm far from a Nintendo fanboy (I grew up a Sega fanboy so they have to do a lot to please me).

And personally, I couldn't care less about annually iterative games that get churned out by EA, Activision, Ubi etc. As far as I'm concerned CoD and FIFA can do one :)

Probably not, but more people might be willing to buy the next system, knowing that even in the worst case scenario Nintendo isn't likely to drop support.

Astral Dog

Even if there was a lot more content, it still wouldnt be enough to "save" the Wii U, that much is obvious,but i hope it starts selling a little better

Top Bottom