• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this a good computer for CASUAL gaming?

I need a computer for school, but I also want one for some gaming. Mind you, I don't want to run FEAR in all its glory - hell, I don't even want that game. I just need something that will allow me to play some games. For instance, the main PC game I play is Wolfenstein ET. Pretty old game, and it worked very well on my last computer, which had a GeForce 5200.

So would this work:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4837463

I'm looking for something under $550 that will allow me to do all my schoolwork as well as play some games. Plus, I need a computer I can hook a router up to for internet.

So GAF, is that a good computer? My GeForce 5200 could play Half Life 2, so I'm thinking a 6100 would be able to do it even better right?

NOTE: I'm rather stupid when it comes to this stuff

no. unless all you want to play is chessmaster or something

plus prepackaged computers are notorious for using the lowest price interals which means they're more likely to die

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's not going to play anything recent, but it might get you by with some older games. Enemy Territory, for instance, should be fine.

It should also be able to play HL2 though right? Like I said, even a GeForce 5200 can play HL2; it didn't look that bad either

Check the open box desk at Microcenter. They're usually stuff that's come off of demonstration, but are given the same warranty. I picked up a full machine with a set of SLI 6800s for about $700, 1GB of ram and pretty fast AMD64 chip.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PhoenixDark said:
It should also be able to play HL2 though right? Like I said, even a GeForce 5200 can play HL2; it didn't look that bad either
Well, if you were able to enjoy HL2 on a 5200 (somehow), it should run.

dark10x said:
Well, if you were able to enjoy HL2 on a 5200 (somehow), it should run.

I played the demo, not the game. Once I changed the resolution it ran very smooth. Graphics weren't amazing, but it looked ok.

Top Bottom