• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this a reasonable goal by MS Japan?

Beowvlf

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140723.html

Yoshihiro Maruyama said:
"It's only a target, but we want to reach 1 million units [in Japan] by the summer of next year, and during the year-end shopping period, we hope to reach 1.5 to 2 million units.
Personally, with the delays of DOA4 from day one, N3 from January to sometime in the Spring, the lackluster launch lineup and BC, and the likelihood that neither Mistwaker game will release before 2007, I think this is an absurdedly unrealistic goal, and I have to wonder just what MS thinks they have that will bring in sales of this magnitude. Four times the original in only one year?

neptunes

"They've got hiiigh hopes, They've got hiiigh hopes"

edit: I agree, limit lol smiles to 2 per post, goddam it's annoying seeing 3-4 of them consecutively.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

jedimike

With an aesthetically pleasing console packed with features and some great high profile Japanese devs and games on 360, MS definitely has a shot.

ourumov

man_on_moon.gif

It's good to dream together...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think all 360 will do in Japan is warm them up for PS3. Maybe not quite more harm than good, but close.

Izzy

Banned
In order to reach that goal, X360 would need to sell on par with PSP's first year in JP. I dunno what to say...

hadareud

The Translator
Izzy said:
In order to reach that goal, X360 would need to sell on par with PSP's first year in JP. I dunno what to say...

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe they can do 500k, that would be quite good for xbox.

But just imagine if the 360 sold more that the PSP over the first 12 months in Japan, hell would indeed freeze over.

Izzy

Banned
hadareud said:
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe they can do 500k, that would be quite good for xbox.

But just imagine if the 360 sold more that the PSP over the first 12 months in Japan, hell would indeed freeze over.

Maybe they can do 1m by the end of 2006, but

MS said:
and during the year-end shopping period, we hope to reach 1.5 to 2 million units.

just doesn't sound realistic. But who knows...

Wunderchu

hadareud said:
Do we have an estimate how many pcs of the original xbox they sold in Japan. 200k, 300k?
in the article linked to in the first post of this thread, GameSpot mentions that after 4 years in Japan, the original Xbox sold ~ 450,000 units

They're already making the same mistakes. Displaying a huge 360 controller and system outside the electronics store will only confuse consumers into thinking the items are to scale.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Heh, good luck. :)

There just isn't enough coming out in the next 6 months or so tailored to that market for the 360 to sell 1 million consoles by next summer in Japan. If Microsoft seriously wants that to happen, they had better hope and pray that all the English teachers out that way suddenly get hefty raises.

Mrbob said:
Good luck.

I think MS will be lucky if they hit 1 million by 2010 in Japan.

Agreed. MS just doesn't have the support or the hype in Japan. I'm afraid it's a losing battle over there. At least they are trying, so I'll give'em that!

Maybe they should just cancel the launch in Japan. Maybe that will make them want what they can't have, lol.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
By the time Japan-centric software is released PS3 (and Rev maybe?) will be out. Xbox 360 may do a little bit better than the original Xbox but I think they're being overly optimistic with these goals.

Im sorry, but

:lol :lol

Oh MS, maybe if you add it in with the original Xbox numbers....Id still doubt it.

:lol

33,000 launch week FTW

Culex

Banned
If they combine the lifetime sales of the current Xbox and then add the probable lifetime sales of the Xbox 360, then yes it will sell 1 million units.

gameboya

Revolution is going to completely dominate Japan. Mark my words, it will be THE console to own. Do I harken the days of old when the NES dominated, why yes I do.

DCharlie

Banned
it's just a goal - like "10 million sold PSPs by 2005!" or "1 billion X360 users!" or "10% profit margins!"

aim high !!! or be high when you aim... or something...

you can just shrug it off when it doesn't happen (well, not entirely true but....)

They can hardly come out and say "well, if we sell more than 28 units by 2007, we will have a pie and punch party!"

Juice

Haha, there was a FFXI commercial on last night for 360 last night.. it was 29 seconds of FFXI and 1 second of saying it was on 360 "jump in" and all that.

The family I was with was very confused before recalling the xbox was that huge ugly thing that sucked. Then a couple started joking that all it has is a two year old game.

littlewig

Banned
Juice said:
Haha, there was a FFXI commercial on last night for 360 last night.. it was 29 seconds of FFXI and 1 second of saying it was on 360 "jump in" and all that.

The family I was with was very confused before recalling the xbox was that huge ugly thing that sucked. Then a couple started joking that all it has is a two year old game.

No matter what MS does, they still lose.

They should have completely renamed the console in Japan, the Xbox name is going to drag the system down.

Top Bottom