• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this a reasonable goal by MS Japan?

D3VI0US

Well if they said they were gonna sell 200,000k or something I would have laughed at that too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, but that's MS in Japan. They've bumbled every big opportunity to impress and they don't have the ammo to sell that many especially with PS3 on the horizon.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it could be possible. PS2 sales seem to be lagging a little, maybe some Japanese will take the leap into the X360 land. With its sleeker design (albeit not much smaller design), it isn't as stark or as "freaking ugly" as the first and Microsoft has clearly shown a stronger commitment to specific Japanese interests. Any truly rational consumer might take that into account.

I don't think it would happen, but it's possible. Microsoft has to project high. How would it reflect on them to say they expect to sell 7 units?

ypo

:lol :lol :lol Is DCharlie the only one who's doing preempt damage control in here? :lol :lol :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
If they buy Virtua Fighter 5 as an exclusive and get it out in the next 3 months...they might make it to 300,000K before PS3 launches and completely destroys them.

vitaflo

I hope by "1 million units" they mean they hope to make 1 million yen. That's almost an achievable goal. :lol :lol

fse

It is possible if they can show more software thats in development that is japan centric and maybe they can release more peripherals for XBL to make it more than just a console. Web Cam+Keyboard for video/text messaging? Free XBL to Japan maybe?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DOA4 missing launch is going to make the launch a dud and loose whatever fire they had going into it. This estimate simply won't happen.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Considering the games coming out next year I think they could hit 1 million by jan 1, 2007 if they're lucky, and if the games are really good. Even though they don't have DOA4, they have Ridge Racer 6, and DOA4 coming shortly, so launch should be okay. Didn't the original xbox sell about 120k or so over there launch month?

Heian-kyo said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140723.html

Personally, with the delays of DOA4 from day one, N3 from January to sometime in the Spring, the lackluster launch lineup and BC, and the likelihood that neither Mistwaker game will release before 2007, I think this is an absurdedly unrealistic goal, and I have to wonder just what MS thinks they have that will bring in sales of this magnitude. Four times the original in only one year?

They need a crapload of qaulity japanese developed exclusives to do that. Mistwalker and the others can only pump out so much content. MS JP needs to get some more content quick.

Top Bottom