• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this correct?

cormack12

Gold Member

ejRupTb.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a very slow moving tractor though. Let’s see them trying this on a train that travels with 200 km/h…
Well yes it's depending on wind speed of course.

If there's no air resistence, the result is still the same. Like if you jumping in a bullet train, you still land on same spot. But jumping on top of the train, you'll end up in hospital if lucky enough.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Depends on how fast the trailer is moving.
If something is blocking the wind. Then probably not. If it’s really fast more likely to get blown away from the force of the wind.

Otherwise I’m guessing it’s the same if you jumped on a fast moving train Inside the carriage.

I’m guessing. Anyone what to try this trailer experiment?

Maybe get a grant ?

I don’t know physics.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I guess the answer lies in deceleration. If you're moving at 30mph while on the vehicle, the moment you are in the air you're going to start slowing down at a certain rate. It's that rate that affects the answer, so presumably the answer lies in the variables.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well yes it's depending on wind speed of course.

If there's no air resistence, the result is still the same. Like if you jumping in a bullet train, you still land on same spot. But jumping on top of the train, you'll end up in hospital if lucky enough.
That’s putting it mildy. The wind speed would have to be the same as the train for this to work. Even if there is no wind at all you’d still have some resistance that would blow you off the train. So assuming the car in the example is not driving at walking speed it is correct to assume you won’t land in the pool when jumping.

Bojji

I guess the answer lies in deceleration. If you're moving at 30mph while on the vehicle, the moment you are in the air you're going to start slowing down at a certain rate. It's that rate that affects the answer, so presumably the answer lies in the variables.

Only wind resistance is the factor here, inside moving object (like train, plane, bus or trailer) you won't lose speed at all.

That’s putting it mildy. The wind speed would have to be the same as the train for this to work. Even if there is no wind at all you’d still have some resistance that would blow you off the train. So assuming the car in the example is not driving at walking speed it is correct to assume you won’t land in the pool when jumping.

You can try this experiment : Juggle a ball vertical in a car while driving, no matter how fast you drive the car is, the ball will always lands on your palm. Because you and the ball are traveling same speed with your car and there're no wind resistence IN your car.
I will quote the tweet I just shared:
"When you jump up on a vehicle that’s traveling at a constant velocity, you don’t fall off because you and the vehicle are moving at the same speed. According to Newton’s first law of motion, an object will remain in uniform motion."

So if there's no wind resistence, the person can jumps in the pool. But if the trailer're moving really fast, the person could fall behind because of the wind resistence.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You can try this experiment : Juggle a ball vertical in a car while driving, no matter how fast you drive the car is, the ball will always lands on your palm. Because you and the ball are traveling same speed with your car and there're no wind resistence IN your car.
I will quote the tweet I just shared:
"When you jump up on a vehicle that’s traveling at a constant velocity, you don’t fall off because you and the vehicle are moving at the same speed. According to Newton’s first law of motion, an object will remain in uniform motion."

So if there's no wind resistence, the person can jumps in the pool. But if the trailer're moving really fast, the person could fall behind because of the wind resistence.
I know, that’s what I’m saying. In closed rooms you would land in the pool. It’s what Newtons laws say and I totally agree. But the example is not a closed room and we can assume the car has a certain speed, hence there will be resistance and he will fall off for sure.

Last edited:

Sakura

If the car was moving fast enough for wind resistance to knock him off the car, he wouldn't be able to be jumping off the diving board or getting that kind of air in the first place.
Ultimately though it is a dumb image that doesn't provide enough information.

Bojji

Height of jump/airtime, vehicle speed, and gravity would presumably also be factors

In the end in this example it entirely depends on the speed of the car. Higher speed = more wind resistance.

Car going 50km/h - jump should be possible

More than that? I have no idea.

Top Bottom