• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this kickstarter project a scam? Sento Towel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GobFather

So I was an early backer of this project and I hoped that the company would give a legit updates to their products but each updates had been stretch goals with new products and sketch drawings instead of any real products information.

It has reached over $600k and expires in 3 days. The concern has grown that it's a scammer and people are reporting it to kickstarter. Here are some comments from the backers:

"I pledged this campaign more than a month ago, and i request the creator to post images of the new colors, bath towels and more without a response or a comply. The video and other images looked too generic. Campaign is based in Australia but it's a Japanese made product and the fact that this is the first kickstarter campaign from Sento is very suspicious . I am canceling my pledge right now. PEOPLE BE AWARE and request images of final products before dead line or consider backout from this."

"3 days to go... and my BS detector is kicking in. I reckon this is yet another Chinese scam on Kickstarter. Why am I saying this?

The video is canned content, ie. stuff that you can easily edit together. The towels shown are no name, there's no creator endorsement (who are you guys?), there's no other valid endorsement... there's no identifiable face or name behind this campaign.

The campagin has reached far and beyond its initial goal. And more products are added WITHOUT any impact on the timeline or feasible prototype. Mere sketches.

Lack of correspondence by the creator in the comments.

Unrealistic timeline.

Towels are overpriced and we might end up with cheap Chinaware... if we get anything at all.

I've backed some projects that turned out to be run by fraudsters and scam artists, some never delivered, others were just terrific. I'm not sure where Sento belongs just yet... but I'm likely to drop out and go for The Onsen... another towel project on the site."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700119410/sento-towel-an-incredible-upgrade-for-an-everyday

I know kickstarter is always a risk but... What are your thoughts and what more can be done for kickstarter to take action?

Do these scammers actually get the money? Why can't Kickstarter do anything? They should only fund projects by meeting the creators in person.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes. Every Kickstarter is a scam. They place risk on consumers while the manufacturer profits fully.

GobFather

Do these scammers actually get the money? Why can't Kickstarter do anything? They should only fund projects by meeting the creators in person.
If kickstarter doesn't cancel the project, the scammers get the money as long as it's 100% funded by the deadline. In this instance they get close to $600,000 minus whatever kickstarter fees. Without having the responsibility to follow through with the promises of delivering the products.

Just this week, kickstarter did cancel a project I was backing stating that it was a scam. So I have seen kickstarter take some action but I have also seen kickstarter not do anything.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Beyond the idea of kickstarting a towel, the obvious non-native English-speaker construction of the sentences would be a big red flag for a product targeting Australia and America.

HotHamBoy

I don't understand why anyone backed this.

They're... towels?

You can get fancy towels pretty easily, no need to kickstart a new line.

I don't get it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They're probably overwhelmed by the amount of money. What started out as a small $12k project ended up being a nearly $1M project.
Not an issue unless they're doing feature creep. Which is absurd

Lafazar

I don`t know if this is a scam, but this is clearly something that does not need Kickstarter. Best case this is just a seller selling his (probably way overpriced) wares through Kickstarter as a form of advertisment. Worst case it`s a scam.

So why not just wait and order a towel regularly if they are ever made available outside of Kickstarter? If you really even need a "Japanese Towel".

GobFather

looks dodgy as shit. why did you and thousands of other people put up money for a towel?
Initially I wanted a good Japanese Towel and the video looked decent. Didn't think too much of it since I like to early back a project for a cheaper price and leave if I feel like it's a scam. Usually these companies will do updates with their content to show that they actually have their product but in this instance. It was all sketches lol I'm like how can you not have a photo or video of your latest products. This was a project that I backed in the spur of the moment and will back out. The only reason I still have it backed so I can continue to make comments on the project. I have reported to kickstarter. Not sure what else to do. I was hoping I wasn't just being paranoid about the product being a scam. I NEVER expected the campaign to blow up this big when I first backed it. It's ridiculous amount for towels I know lol

HotHamBoy

Initially I wanted a good Japanese Towel and the video looked decent. Didn't think too much of it since I like to early back a project for a cheaper price and leave if I feel like it's a scam. Usually these companies will do updates with their content to show that they actually have their product but in this instance. It was all sketches lol I'm like how can you not have a photo or video of your latest products. This was a project that I backed in the spur of the moment and will back out. The only reason I still have it backed so I can continue to make comments on the project. I have reported to kickstarter. Not sure what else to do. I was hoping I wasn't just being paranoid about the product being a scam. I NEVER expected the campaign to blow up this big when I first backed it. It's ridiculous amount for towels I know lol

Why didn't you just order a good japanese towel that was already on the market? You certainly would have gotten it much faster...

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around this. This was a roughly 10k project, yet it got 633k. If it was a scam then they must have hit the jackpot because the intial target was practically nothing.

Average pledge of $88... I'm baffled.

Social

The fact that this Kickstarter has so many pledges BLOWS my mind. A Kickstarter, for a towel? How simple are people?

RedHill

Banned
If people are concerned that it's a scam and it isn't over yet then why don't you just... Pull... Your... Funds?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's converted to AU, it was showing me 633k USD

Right, but AUD is the currency of the campaign. Remember, the post you quoted says:

They're probably overwhelmed by the amount of money. What started out as a small $12k project ended up being a nearly $1M project.

The goal was AUD$12k and pledges have blown up to over AUD$820k, so the above is accurate -- he wasn't mixing currencies.

I imagine Kickstarter is a good way of doing illicit business. Say you're selling towels, you're really selling coke wrapped in towels to specific people who back your project for large sums of money under the guise of a stretch goal claiming to be an angel investment.

This is what I'd consider to be one of these.

GobFather

Why didn't you just order a good japanese towel that was already on the market? You certainly would have gotten it much faster...

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around this. This was a roughly 10k project, yet it got 633k. If it was a scam then they must have hit the jackpot because the intial target was practically nothing.

Average pledge of $88... I'm baffled.

Yeaaaah I don't know why I backed this. I actually have no good reason lol and will just buy as you said lol

but At this point.. i just want kickstarter to cancel this project because it seems like it's a scam and a lot of people will be affected. Granted that's the risk they take.

GobFather

If people are concerned that it's a scam and it isn't over yet then why don't you just... Pull... Your... Funds?
Ooh I am pulling my funds. I just wanted opinions on whether I was just being paranoid or the product itself is.. a scam. There really is no good reason for me or anyone to support this Towel campaign lol. If you read their updates, it's all sketches of how the new mat will look like and etc. nothing concrete.

I imagine Kickstarter is a good way of doing illicit business. Say you're selling towels, you're really selling coke wrapped in towels to specific people who back your project for large sums of money under the guise of a stretch goal claiming to be an angel investment.

This is what I'd consider to be one of these.
🤔

I'm not familiar with Kickstarter's business model. Is the money put in a trust that is fettered out piecemeal until the targets are hit? If not then a LOT of people are gonna get screwed. Already saw that thread where that project starter was 'pissed' that his friend 'stole' the money from their Kickstarter and paid his mortgage with it. Thought that was an isolated incident.

As for this soft towel you backed for some reason, you need to think that even if it is real this group will never be able to make enough yield for the backers to break even. Thing is at 800+ million now. Their valuation is WAY too high.

If you want a wonderfully soft Japanese towel, get the Imabari brand. Expensive, but still way cheaper than the Kickstarter.

If you want a wonderfully soft Japanese towel, get the Imabari brand. Expensive, but still way cheaper than the Kickstarter.

Where do I buy this? I can only find the main website but I have to fill in a form or something.

I never knew I needed expensive Japanese towels.

Salamando

Is there really that much demand for soft towels that people are willing to trust a company in another country with anonymous employees and an online presence that dates back to Dec 2016? Their website is literally just "go to our Kickstarter!".

What caught my eye is they "boost" the campaign using ads. People give from going via ads.

"At Jellop we run ad campaigns to boost the best Kickstarter projects. We usually generate $5 to $15 worth of pledges for each $1 put in ads."

So they spend $100k and get $500 to $1.5m in pledges.
(and of course put the project at the top of various lists which drags in money).

And the pitch, ugh.

How can they get away without revealing anything about the location, company name, registered company office and so on. Kickstarter just seems to do an identity verification, nothing beyond that. This guy can ship a container load of shit chinese towels and be done with everyone, keeping $700k. Australia pinned Steam to the wall under consumer protection laws on refunds, are they powerless against kickstarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom