• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this name too similar to Bin Laden?

Griss

Yes, it sounds a bit like Bin Laden, but Ben Lada is a solid, good sounding name. Benjamin Lada sounds good too.

To your unborn kid's peers, Bin Laden will be a dude they'll learn about in history books who did something 25 years ago (to them). That's like me learning about the Vietnam War as a kid. Ancient history.

Go for it.

Alcander

Name him Enchi.

Haha, I've heard that one a lot. Believe me Lada is really easy to pun off of.

This thread is definitely not helping me make a decision, but entertaining. I'm white by the way, to whoever asked if I was brown.

Kids can be very cruel with that type of stuff but will they even know Bin Laden's name by the time your kid is in school? I guess it depends on the country, if you're in the US, it might be problematic. It's a tough decision. I have a somewhat weird first name and ended up switching to my middle name in my professional life for various reasons, so I'd advise to make it easy for your kid.

Bin Laden and Hitler aren't even close in historical significance. When OBL was assassinated I remember seeing people a couple years younger than me asking who he was.

Gracious, our education system sucks.

OK, so if someone names a kid Ben Lada, we just have to rely on kids remaining stupid and poorly educated. Seems like a reasonable bet in America, come to think of it.

Alcander

Kids can be very cruel with that type of stuff but will they even know Bin Laden's name by the time your kid is in school? I guess it depends on the country, if you're in the US, it might be problematic. It's a tough decision. I have a somewhat weird first name and ended up switching to my middle name in my professional life for various reasons, so I'd advise to make it easy for your kid.

Yeah, in the US. California

cr0w

Old Member
Haha, I've heard that one a lot. Believe me Lada is really easy to pun off of.

This thread is definitely not helping me make a decision, but entertaining. I'm white by the way, to whoever asked if I was brown.

I actually met a girl named Enchilada once. She was interesting.

Bya2XacCcAAeFYY.png

Lothar

Banned
When your kid is in high school, Bin Laden is going to be an obscure reference.

If not, then Bin Laden will be his new name in school. Not even by just the people making fun of him. That'll be his new assigned name. That's the way teenagers and high school works.

Go for Piña. Piña Cole Lada.
Its gotta a good ring if you ask me.

Maybe dont call him Ben if you are set on the name "Benjamin". Maybe go with Benny or just Benjamin, or Benji. Ben Lada might be fine buuut theres a chance.

TheMan

There are thousands of names in the world to choose from, why pick something that could potentially cause him grief?

Just because no name is bullet-proof doesn't mean all name puns and jokes are equally harmful. I'd rather be the subject of a few dick jokes than be compared to Osama Bin Laden.

Alcander

There are thousands of names in the world to choose from, why pick something that could potentially cause him grief?

This is definitely true, but I've been amazed at how difficult it is to actually land on the same page on any specific name with an SO.

hoserx

I would probably name him Richard, so when he's in college, they'll call his name out "Lada, Dick" and he'll probably score that night.

If you think there's a chance the kid might come from school crying one day. Then probably don't.

I named my first daughter Mercedes. We picked it becuase because it sounded pretty and it was the first name me and my wife agreed on.

When she was very little she liked it too, we would nickname her mercy or Mercules.

But when she got in school she would get made fun of because she was named after a car. Which she wasn't.

Just remember, he'll have to live with it every day and you don't.

Media

I think if you want to avoid bullying and the like over it I'd reconsider.

Something like William, or Alexander. Though Bill Ladden isn't much better.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry mate isis will do some wild shit by the time he's old enough that everyone will forget who bin laden even was

Top Bottom