• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the first gen where Sony, MS and Nintendo have all made stylish consoles

DonShula

OG Xbox is getting too much hindsight flak. It looked fine for its time. It may not be a design for the ages but its style was appropriate for the audience and time period.

GameCube is still stylish as all get out
when placed at an angle where you can't see the handle

At no time in history did I ever believe that the N64 looked stylish. Same goes for the Wii U gamepad. Wii U base unit was fine.

Hmm... It has been very hit or miss this gen to me.

The original XB1, while not "ugly", certainly isn't something I would call stylish or attractive. It was serviceable, and didn't draw much attention to itself (yes, it is large, but it fades away once in place).

The original PS4 is definitely a stylish design. I still really like it a lot, and I even grew to like the light, which originally was the only thing I wasn't sure about when I first got it.

The XB1S, is amazingly designed - definitely the best thing to ever come out of MS Xbox wise. Now, if only they'd release a black one, I'd go ahead and replace my launch day XBO (I'm going to end up breaking down and getting one soon even if they don't).

The PS4 slim and PS4 Pro are both ugly designs IMO. Especially the Pro. I wasn't really surprised that the Slim was a bit of a downgrade visually, as the original PS4 already wasn't large, so the "slim" was a way for Sony to produce the PS4 more cheaply, and it looks as such. I was surprised when I saw the Pro design - I guess I figured that by it being the premium version of the console, they wouldn't have just dialed it in on the design and simply "made it fit" while giving it room to breathe. I don't like the look of the console at all. I can't knock it's technical power, but it just doesn't look like a premium product - the original PS4 looks much, much nicer IMO.

As for the Switch, I think it is a great design - I'm really impressed with the design, even if I am only about 50% of the way there on it's aesthetics. The portable portion itself is great, but the dock is only "okay" to me, and the Joy Cons in the grip still look weird to me. Also, I'm glad they offered a grey option (which is what I ordered) as the two different colors on the Neon version would have driven me crazy (personal quirk). I guess I'll have a better idea of how I feel about the overall "stylishness" of the design in whole when I get it in less than two weeks.

I kinda like that this gen we are going for smaller and lighter consoles. Previous gen was absurd with the size of both PS3 and 360. Adding also the massive weight of the OG PS3 and the power bricks of the two 360 versions. This time it feels like they are finally getting it right.

GHG

Gold Member
I have an OG Xbox One. It's not stylish. But then... It looks like it "belongs" next to my AV receiver so it doesn't get questioned.

kennyamr

Loved the design of the PS2, PS3, and PS1 as well. They all have their own charm.

Same with the rest of the industry.

Perception is relative, depending on the individual's taste.

Morinaga

Well, I dont know. Personally I dont think consoles look all thta great. I mean how many ways can you redesign a box anyway????

I cant think of one thats all that good. Maybe the NeoGeo AES.

Atari however have a lot to answer for in the design department. The original Lynx you could beat whales to death with. The 2600 looked like it belongs in an episode of the Waltons and the Jaguar evolved into dental hygiene equipment.

Well, I dont know. Personally I dont think consoles look all thta great. I mean how many ways can you redesign a box anyway????

I cant think of one thats all that good. Maybe the NeoGeo AES.

Atari however have a lot to answer for in the design department. The original Lynx you could beat whales to death with. The 2600 looked like it belongs in an episode of the Waltons and the Jaguar evolved into dental hygiene equipment.

Come on man, the Jaguar CD toilet is iconic.

jag-jagunit.jpg

I thought the PS4 looked great until I saw them in real life. The cheap looking plastic really ruins it. In fact, the shitty plastic on the black consoles is why I preferred the look of the original VCR xbone over them.

But the white PS4 looks amazing because you can't notice.

scamander

Banned
Yes and no. Yes, all three have made stylish consoles. No, it's not the first gen in which that's the case. Last gen was also great after Sony and Microsoft revised their consoles.

My personal ranking:
Switch > Xbox One S > PS4 Slim >>>> Wii U >>>>>>>> PS4 >>> PS4 Pro >> Xbox One

First three are looking great.

Malus

Surprised people don't like the PS4. It's my fav this gen. A lotta unique details.

Switch design is pretty bare-bones imo in terms of style. Better than the Wii U at least.

OG Xbone is just a big box.

DrArchon

Wait, is the Switch a part of this gen or is it next gen? Because the Wii U has been around for most of the XBO's and PS4's life, so maybe that counts except it wasn't stylish at all (well, the console was I guess, the controller was shit).

I guess if we're counting Switch/XBOS/PS4Pro then yeah it's a pretty stylish gen, though I think the base PS4 and the slim look better than the Pro, and it remains to be seen what the Scorpio will look like (I personally think the base XBO looks like a cruddy VCR and I pray the Scorpio doesn't look anything like that).

Pif

Banned
Ps4 with the blue light yes.

XB1 one is meh. The one S is sexy.

Switch is also ok. The big bezel, while necessary, gives it a chubby look.

Xbox One S > Switch > PS4 > PS4 Slim > Xbox One > PS4 Pro

Wait, are you saying that this:
Looks better than a PS4 Slim?

I can't take anybody seriously that thinks the Xbox One S is "stylish".
1. It's still huge.
2. It's filled with holes, makes it look like a cheap speaker.
3. That button (is that the power button) in the front stands out in a bad way, as plain as it is.
4. That hole in the top looks terrible.
5. The difference in textures does not contrast well.

I don't like the way the Pro looks and I didn't care much for the original PS4 (though I didn't think it was ugly), but the Xbox One and Xbox One S are not stylish, at all.

I liked the Xbox 360, a lot. Hopefully the Scorpio has some curves to it instead of looking like a white VHS player.

1. It's still huge.
3. That button (is that the power button) in the front stands out in a bad way, as plain as it is.

I don't like the way the Pro looks and I didn't care much for the original PS4 (though I didn't think it was ugly), but the Xbox One and Xbox One S are not stylish, at all.

I liked the Xbox 360, a lot. Hopefully the Scorpio has some curves to it instead of looking like a white VHS player.

I was astonished that the S is still bigger than the PS4 Vanilla.

1. It's still huge.

I really liked the XB360's late-life black revision. That looked sleek!

You can meme anything to make it look ridiculous.

OG PS3 was badass and futuristic in the best way
I owned a PS3 fat until it died on me two years ago. It was one of the MGS4 Backwards compatible units. It was ugly. I never liked the PS2 design either, even if I understood what they were going for. I prefer my consoles matte (the PS2 had that at least), though I never owned a PS3 slim (or ultra slim). The PS3 was huge, heavy, glossy and with chrome parts. That's not my idea of futuristic. The spiderman font... *rolleyes*.
I was astonished that the S is still bigger than the PS4 Vanilla.
Yeah, at this point I'm not sure whether it's a case of "Sony has engineering geniuses" or "Microsoft has terrible designers" or just a combination of both. As I said, I thought the Xbox 360 had a cool design.
I really liked the XB360's late-life black revision. That looked sleek!
Haha, I don't know, I've never been a fan of the vents and different textures in a surface, but at least that one looks better to me than the Xbox One S. Hell, all three Xbox 360 models look far better than any of the Xbox One models to me.

phanphare

Banned
This thing is awful to hold, the somehow smooth texture literally forced me to play it with a protection case. My worst purchase without any doubt.

it's quite the conundrum, I find that Nintendo's clamshell handhelds are the most appealing visually but are the least comfortable to game on

I've never seen an xbox console that wasn't hideous. I mean it's built in to the name, I'd be disappointed if I bought an xbox and it was some sleak, sexy thang instead of a giant slab of corporate ugly.

PS4 > Wii U > Xbox One S > Xbox One > PS4 Pro

I think the standard PS4 is the most stylish console of all time. It's gorgeous... too bad about its power and eject buttons which are by far the worst of its kind. They're terrible! But damn, does the console look gorgeous.

Wii U is p cool and Xbox One is ergh.

New 3DS > OG 3DS > Vita Slim > Vita > 2DS > New 3DS XL > 3DS XL
I'm find with both the 3DS and Vita....but not the XL systems.

I look forward to the next gen systems for Microsoft and Sony to compare them to the Switch, because the Switch looks so good!!!

Clefargle

I mean, if you think the DS, ps3, X360, and Wii aren't "stylish" then I don't know what to say.We can disagree on whether that style is any good or nice looking, and that's subjective. But they all clearly have their own unique "style elements".

Wii: stylish controller, stylish gameplay, iconic look when on its stand.

X360: stylish circular LED for controller indication (RROD was pretty iconic lol), globular logo button on the controller, interchangeable faceplates.

DS: iconic dual screen design incorporated into stylish logo, stylish clamshell design, (the original isn't pretty, but it sure had its own style.) the DS lite was iconic and stylish as hell. Stylish stylus lol

PS3: that George Forman grill design was stylish if also a bit silly, the revisions were much more stylish tho, and the super slim had that cool stylish sliding disk tray door that was pretty stylish.

PSP: very stylish, the only thing I didn't like was the weird analog pad on the original. Very sexy system.

Drain You

I always thought the original 360 had a very iconic look to it. The Ps3 while a bit large also struck me as very stylish, foreman grill jokes aside. Wii was very minimal and I appreciated that.

Xbox one I wouldn't say is stylish, just very plain, something you could easily hide in your entertainment system. Ps4 on the other hand I though was very sleek, while also not looking out of place among other electronics.

PS: Gamecube is the most stylish system ever.

epicnemesis

I don't think either xbone models have looked good. They are missing J Allard and his inhales and faceplates.

DS Lite is god tier.

Drain You

Seems like a lot of people are down on the Pro's aesthetics but it looks nice and sleek in person.

Personally I like the way the Pro looks, I do wonder if they chose a three tier look for cooling purposes, or if the three tiers conveys an upgrade to the general public from the Ps4's two tiers. Don't know much about the internal layout of either systems so I'm just talking out my ass.

Edit:
I don't think either xbone models have looked good. They are missing J Allard and his inhales and faceplates.

Miss J Allard

Fularu

Banned
stylish?

The xbone looks like a vcr and the ps4 is one ugly piece of hardware

The Switch docked looks like an hdd enclosure

Top Bottom