• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Uncharted 4 one of the most boring games ever made?

YayNJ

Banned
I guess that 93 Meta and way over 10 million since early 2017 is surely a boring formula......Sony has not given numbers since declaring more than 8.7 million copies of UC4 sold as of December 21st 2016, that's before christmas btw and there's the whole of 2017 and 2018's sales.......Surely, UC4 should be within the 15-20 million slot at this point......So, I guess boring works for this industry, it's the baby formula gamers prefer, It would seem.....I guess, keep on giving them what they like...

Anywho's....

"PS4 software sales also remained strong during the 2016 holiday season with more than 50.4 million copies*3 sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of January 1, 2017. UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End reached a cumulative sell through of more than 8.7 million copies globally*4 as of December 21, 2016."

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/170105.html

Fifa series sells gigatons, gets good reviews, but is utter dogga. Not sure what your point is. Sales don't always equal quality.

Anyway back on track. Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece. Uncharted 4 is a smug, back slapping mess.

pramod

Banned
I certainly got bores by it. Spent the first 30 mins climbing on rooftop to rooftop and wondered "wtf is this?" And turned it off.

thelastword

Banned
Fifa series sells gigatons, gets good reviews, but is utter dogga. Not sure what your point is. Sales don't always equal quality.

Anyway back on track. Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece. Uncharted 4 is a smug, back slapping mess.
Sales don't equal quality but good reviews do...At least that's the metric we go by....But it is a bit curious to attack a game which had great reviews and great sales...….Should we start digging the bargain bins for the lowest rated games with the least sales to spite a successful game...…?

Let's be honest, your view of any game is subjective, but if the majority of critics were positive to a game and lots played and praised it when they did, then it has done it's job. Now a minority will come much later and say this game is overrated or this game is boring, for whatever reason, that happens to many highly rated games but the opinion does not apply to the majority of persons who played. The game sold well, because people knew what Uncharted was and they bough it, several games in the series have come before, and they knew what to expect from it.....It's the same with Fifa, millions do not keep buying Fifa because they're drones who don't ascribe to the "factual" opinion (that it's boring and utter crap)…..See what I did there?

As for Fifa, people buy Fifa "every year at that" because they love the game and franchise. You can't come and hate on said persons, the games popularity or it's great reviews......Your minority opinion does not negate the fun people are having with it or their view as to it's quality.....

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Your point is that since you don't like FIFA, that means it's utter dogga and the majority of people who bought it feel the same was as you do?

Your opinion is just your opinion, but the Metacritic scores I see from people who reviewed Uncharted 4 are way more reasonable than most people who considered this the "one of the most boring games ever."

ROMhack

I thought it was quite boring but not that boring. 3 is the worst game in the series.

I found it really enjoyable to begin with but it seemed to peak during the rooftop mission and never fully recovered. The final act (did it have acts?) felt overlong and I really didn't enjoy the forced sentimental moments throughout, including the epilogue which genuinely looked like an attempt to create an opening for sequel bait. Unfortunately I generally have little to no interest in Uncharted's characters, their backstories, plights or generally anything they do except the occasional wise-cracks. I honestly couldn't tell you much about the game's plot which ain't a good thing.

Overall, I feel Naughty Dog probably tried too hard with UC4. I think the series appeals to people most because its bombastic action-packed gameplay full of exciting setpieces. They retconned all the supernatural elements and I think they sort of went in trying to make a game that aimed to emotionally affect people like The Last of Us (it didn't work for me).

Last edited:
I finished it.

I thought it was excellent, yes, it's one of those cinematic games, which some gamers just don't really like, fair enough.

But I dig that style, I don't understand why there can't be room enough for games that are first and foremost games and games that are first and foremost "interactive experiences", there's room for games of every type, some people seem to have too strict a definition of what makes a game a "game" if you ask me.

I just the loved the story of looking for pirate treasure, it was extremely exciting and the writing and acting in the game is just so good, I loved spending time with all these characters.

It's just kinda baffling to me why someone would have a real negative opinion on it, there's so much cool shit in the game that I can't understand why someone wouldn't say "yeah it was pretty good" even if they didn't think it was GOTY worthy.

Because even I think the gunplay could be a little generic and tedious at times, same as all the other Uncharteds, but as an overall experience I had a blast.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I finished it.

I thought it was excellent, yes, it's one of those cinematic games, which some gamers just don't really like, fair enough.

But I dig that style, I don't understand why there can't be room enough for games that are first and foremost games and games that are first and foremost "interactive experiences", there's room for games of every type, some people seem to have too strict a definition of what makes a game a "game" if you ask me.

I just the loved the story of looking for pirate treasure, it was extremely exciting and the writing and acting in the game is just so good, I loved spending time with all these characters.

It's just kinda baffling to me why someone would have a real negative opinion on it, there's so much cool shit in the game that I can't understand why someone wouldn't say "yeah it was pretty good" even if they didn't think it was GOTY worthy.

Because even I think the gunplay could be a little generic and tedious at times, same as all the other Uncharteds, but as an overall experience I had a blast.

Very well said :).

Cleared_Hot

Yeahhhh sometimes it dragged but I literally couldn't put it down. I thought it was a surreal experience. The story telling was absolutely incredible. That descent into madness on the pirate island (sorry it's been a while) was fucking awesome. The climbing stuff was pretty easy, but the shooting was fun and offered a lot of ways to approach every encounter.

Top Bottom