• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Uncharted 4 one of the most boring games ever made?

Rogas

Banned
Many players cited Uncharted 4 as an eye gouging case of repetition with its climbing, climbing and more climbing. It literally put some people to sleep, how does NeoGaf feel about this?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Many players cited Uncharted 4 as an eye gouging case of repetition with its climbing, climbing and more climbing. It literally put some people to sleep, how does NeoGaf feel about this?

Some disagree, some agree... I tend to disagree, many reviews disagreed, and many people bought the game. Not sure if it won awards too or not, honestly forgot.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes, and it’s not only Uncharted, but a large amount of Sony’s titles in general, which focuses more on cinematic experiences instead of gameplay and fun.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes, and it’s not only Uncharted, but a large amount of Sony’s titles in general, which focuses more on cinematic experiences instead of gameplay and fun.

You forgot that they pay off tons of reviews to say the exact opposite of what you just stated ;).

Seriously though, it is your opinion and evidently you have played those games a fair deal to judge how well and deep the gameplay is (not sure how GT, Infamous, Bound, Spider-man, God of War, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, etc... do not qualify as being games that focus on fun and good gameplay... but opinions sometime lay like that). Not sure how Halo, Gears of War, and Crackdown have less of a cinematic aspect than those other titles (they do not have less of it... but they are just more proof that you can have great movie like presentation and fun gameplay :)).

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Xbox fanboys: Sony makes too many cinematic video games. They focus more on the story than gameplay.

Also Xbox fanboys: I loved Quantum Break. Nearly double the amount of cut-scenes and far less gameplay, but I enjoy it because it's an Xbox exclusive.

Von Hugh

Xbox fanboys: Sony makes too many cinematic video games. They focus more on the story than gameplay.

Also Xbox fanboys: I loved Quantum Break. Nearly double the amount of cut-scenes and far less gameplay, but I enjoy it because it's an Xbox exclusive.

You can't immediatily tag someone as a fanboy if critique is given about a game.

Rogas

Banned

I hated Quantum Break. Try harder troll.

It along with Uncharted 4 is one of the worst games ever made.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You can't immediatily tag someone as a fanboy if critique is given about a game.

We know who the fanboys on here are. Same people criticizing Sony's games for being too cinematic are the same people who don't have a problem with Xbox exclusives being cinematic.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I did find Uncharted 4 boring, but it wasn’t because of the climbing. The game places focus on the narrative over gameplay at every opportunity - the series’ story itself is contorted in order for this specific story to be told. And it’s boring. I didnt care about a long lost brother, I didnt care about double crosses, I didnt care about “villains with a heart of gold”, and I didnt care about the straight up bad guys. I cared about a treasure hunting adventure with the characters I grew to love over the previous games - and that was about an hour or so of the run time. If you’re going to sacrifice gameplay for narrative, that narrative better be magic. And here, it wasn’t. It was a dour, self-serious masturbatory writing exercise, that begrudgingly had the player along for the ride. Gameplay was generally good - the story that interrupted it, tragically less so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

If you're going to call somebody a troll, you might not want to follow up with saying Uncharted 4 or Quantum Break are some of the worst games ever made.

Opinions can still carry hyperbole shit behind them.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I never said you did, neither did I quote you in my reply.

Looks like you're calling me a troll, but what are you doing?

Mr Hyde

I thought Uncharted 4 was pretty good but the overall problem I had with it is that it copies too much from U2 and even U3. There was next to no creativity at all and it also suffered from pacing issues with a couple of chapters being a slog. I didn´t really like the inclusion of Sam either but even so, he had some nice scenes together with Nathan.

Uncharted 4 is far from being the most boring game ever, that is just silly hyperbole nonsens, but it does drag a bit, I´ll admit that. I think the franchise can rest a bit until ND has some fresh ideas to bring to the table. I did enjoy Lost Legacy, but that was also short of new ideas. But I hope Chloe takes the lead now that Nate is retired. She has the adventure chops to fill his shoes.

Last edited:
No. Who did it literally put to sleep, by the way?

EDIT christ, I just looked at this poster's post history. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fbh

I quite enjoyed it so no, I didn't find it boring.

Also you might get better reactions to your threads if you actually try to present your ideas in the form of well written criticism instead of console warrior hyperbole

KRAai

ok fair enough
but
how many times do i have to read the same bs from the same people to have your blessing?
this post by mike is fucking joke that he and some others keep repeating in every sony thread
and he is free for whatever reason to not enjoy sony games i don't care
but at some point well i can prettend that it is just boring but let's be real it is just trolling

Last edited:

Darius87

That makes sense, game who sold 10mil and won many awards, have 93 meta is repetitive i think LoU2 should be more repetitive then it would be even better game.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Keep seeing post that saying game like Red Dead Redemption 2 the most boring game ever made , Uncharted 4 the most boring game ever made, Zelda BOTW is the most boring game ever etc

Theres plenty of garbage game in the catalogue why you guys always have to cherypick the top one ?

Why i never saw someone says something like PUBG, Call of Duty Black Ops 4 or FIFA 19 the most boring game ever made for examples ?

Last edited:
Weird, I literally just finally started Uncharted 4 after years myself.

And one of the most boring games ever made? Hell no, I'd say it's one of the best games ever made, it's just totally blowing me away completely.

I judge games as an overall experience and Uncharted 4 really is second to none, it's got all the pizazz and cinematic flair from the prior games but the gunplay this time feels more weighty, realistic and less generic, it's the best of both worlds.

Fantastic writing and acting as well.

Last edited:
Nice hyperbole. Am I the only one who noticed sudden sony games hate? I like their games, found uncharted 4 to be great send-off to a good series with characters I really liked, God of War blew me away (I've played only 3 earlier but haven't got past zeus battle), TLoU is kinda overrated imo. I get that, mixing cinematic story telling with action adventure may not be your thing, but this whole over exaggerating that hurr durr sony games are boring as fuck!111 all the same!111 is just laughable. It's like starting a thread stating that every person who plays on Nintendo Switch is a man-child who jerks off on amiibo, lmao. Like come on.

Great Hair

Banned

Compared to Quantumly Broken, it is a Masterpiece. Story alone, character build up, locations, jeep chase, foking multiplayer, pacing, decent gameplay to fun (hook), terrific ending ... the train has long time ago halted, you missed the station.

Stuart360

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is more boring to be honest, i'm really struggling to get through it. Uncharted 4 for me just isnt as good as Uncharted 3, and especially Uncharted 2. They seemed to of took the 'Shadow' route of really toning down the action and upping puzzles and exploration. As someone who loved Uncharted 1-3, it was a bad choice imo. I mean the sheer gauntlets and 'impossible odds' that Uncharted 1-3 through at you just isnt there in Uncharted 4, even at the end of the game where you would of thought at least the end will be all out war, so to speak.
I really think Naughty Dog took all those 'Nathan Drake is a mass murderer' memes to heart lol.

ruvikx

Banned
Chapter 16 (Brothers Drake) is one of the most bullshit up-our-own-butts pretentious missteps I've ever played, made worse by the fact the previous chapters had been so, so good. Uncharted 4 is schizophrenic, in the sense it jumps from masterpiece to mastershite from chapter to chapter. I also have gripes regarding the treatment of Elena's character who went from adventurous in Uncharted 1 (literally guilting Drake into pursuing the hunt for the treasure despite Drake saying "it's not worth dying for"), to Uncharted 4 where she then guilts Drake into quitting treasure hunting & becomes queen nagger from start to finish. Like a real-life person scolding the player for enjoying a little action-adventure.

So no, it's far, far from the "most boring" game ever made, but it has really, really boring moments & a plot which does a disservice to the first 3 games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is more boring to be honest, i'm really struggling to get through it. Uncharted 4 for me just isnt as good as Uncharted 3, and especially Uncharted 2. They seemed to of took the 'Shadow' route of really toning down the action and upping puzzles and exploration. As someone who loved Uncharted 1-3, it was a bad choice imo. I mean the sheer gauntlets and 'impossible odds' that Uncharted 1-3 through at you just isnt there in Uncharted 4, even at the end of the game where you would of thought at least the end will be all out war, so to speak.
I really think Naughty Dog took all those 'Nathan Drake is a mass murderer' memes to heart lol.

I really hope one day Hennig's version (details) gets leaked.

Kamina

Golden Boy
For me .... YES !
MtZ9N.gif

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
you know whats funnier i never saw anyone complain about game like this as boring on Neogaf

Farming-Simulator-15-PS4-Factory-Refurbished.jpg

Last edited:
I got to that place where you climb the clock thing inside that cathedral and I just never went back. The game is horribly paced and no kidding 50% of the time I was in control I was climbing stuff, boring is an understatement.

you know whats funnier i never saw anyone complain about game like this as boring on Neogaf

That's because it was "SonyGaf" and when the exodus of psychos left so did that mentality. It seems like a much more rationalized and objective forum now.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Actually loads of people on here thought the game wasn't as good as the others, not long after it released. To say its boring or a 'bad game' is just wrong, but the game def is a different turn of pace compared to 1-3. Like i said in my earlier post, its the Uncharted version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, they upped the boring stuff, and toned down the action.

Thiagosc777

It was certainly less fun than the previous ones. There was more of a focus on drama and walking around than actual action. Also the platforming was out of place. The "stealth" made the game considerably easier and slower. I had to force myself to finish this one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's because it was "SonyGaf" and when the exodus of psychos left so did that mentality. It seems like a much more rationalized and objective forum now.

Objective no, less polarizing crazy, yes. Fanwarz are ever so preveleant.

You know, for a place with the stigma of "SonyGAF" which still gets repeated by certain other system fans till this day, that claim it still exits... I rarely see threads created with the sole purpose just to shit on random Xbox (or Nintendo) games, yet they are almost daily for Sony ones. Ironic.

Last edited:

Ka-Kui

As a fan of the original three games, Uncharted 4 was just bloody depressing in comparison. The magic just wasn't there and I don't know exactly how to explain it.

It seems like Nathan Drake, and everything we love about the guy, was getting berated for being Nathan Drake. Not only that, remember all those amazing adventures from the previous games? He was just taking credit for all of his mum's hard work!

For all of 3's story faults it still had positive energy, and the best gameplay of the series IMO.

I always felt the gameplay was misunderstood about the series because normally anything with gunplay is automatically treated as a pure shooter by the average gamer, which is wrong to do here because the series was never really just a shooter. It's about heavy transitioning from gunplay to melee combat - which the average gamer criminally under utilised - and then strategically traversing from place to place while taking advantage of contextual moves.

To players who understood the above it was a fun and unique gameplay style, and for players who treat the game like 'just a shooter ' is why you hear comments like "It doesn't do anything better than any other TPS, it's so generic".

However the problem with Uncharted 4's gameplay is that it downgraded the melee and pared back the contextual moves to the point where... it finally turned into 'just another shooter'. All this while adding a poorly designed and OP stealth mechanic on top of it all.

It could be argued those poor stealth mechanics existed before in the previous games but they were never really the crux of the gameplay.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Objective no, less polarizing crazy, yes. Fanwarz are ever so preveleant.

You know, for a place with the stigma of "SonyGAF" which still gets repeated by certain other system fans till this day, that claim it still exits, I rarely see threats created with the sole purpose just to shit on random Xbox (or Nintendo) games, yet they are almost daily for Sony ones. Ironic.
Come on Deep, as a PC gamer without a console, you can't even go into a Xbox thread on here without the same tiresome memes, drive bys from the same posters. If NeoGaf has become a little more neutral (although i dont se it) then its about time.

thelastword

Banned
I guess that 93 Meta and way over 10 million since early 2017 is surely a boring formula......Sony has not given numbers since declaring more than 8.7 million copies of UC4 sold as of December 21st 2016, that's before christmas btw and there's the whole of 2017 and 2018's sales.......Surely, UC4 should be within the 15-20 million slot at this point......So, I guess boring works for this industry, it's the baby formula gamers prefer, It would seem.....I guess, keep on giving them what they like...

Anywho's....

"PS4 software sales also remained strong during the 2016 holiday season with more than 50.4 million copies*3 sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of January 1, 2017. UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End reached a cumulative sell through of more than 8.7 million copies globally*4 as of December 21, 2016."

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/170105.html

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I got to that place where you climb the clock thing inside that cathedral and I just never went back. The game is horribly paced and no kidding 50% of the time I was in control I was climbing stuff, boring is an understatement.

That's because it was "SonyGaf" and when the exodus of psychos left so did that mentality. It seems like a much more rationalized and objective forum now.[/QUOTE]

I think you can tell who is more bias on this form than most people.

Here is your post regarding Red Dead Redemption 2

They went overboard with the realism in the controls? What the fuck does that even mean? The character has weight? The control of said character reacts to the physical properties of momentum, mass and kinetic energy? No way... I've also heard people complain about the game being boring? Sorry this isn't some weebfest Jap game with explosions of glitter and dildos in your face every two seconds bombarding you with stimulus to quell your ADD.

I find it odd that people call Uncharted 4 boring but say things like this regarding Red Dead Redemption 2.

I've played both and I have beaten both games. Climbing is boring, but riding back and forth on a horse before and after missions is not?

It's ok to think if a game is boring, but how you responded to people for calling RDR2 seems pretty funny based on your UC4 posts. It's literally going to a mission, get on your horse, ride to the mission while there's a conversation between the main protagonist and the other characters. After you complete the mission, you have to ride back and do the same thing all over again.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Come on Deep, as a PC gamer without a console, you can't even go into a Xbox thread on here without the same tiresome memes, drive bys from the same posters. If NeoGaf has become a little more neutral (although i dont se it) then its about time.

And the same thing happens in Sony and Nintendo threads. The mods had to shut down a massive one the other day that was something else.

My point still stands about created threads however. It is a daily occurrence in comparison.

Stuart360

I guess that 93 Meta and way over 10 million since early 2017 is surely a boring formula......Sony has not given numbers since declaring more than 8.7 million copies of UC4 sold as of December 21st 2016, that's before christmas btw and there's the whole of 2017 and 2018's sales.......Surely, UC4 should be within the 15-20 million slot at this point......So, I guess boring works for this industry, it's the baby formula gamers prefer, It would seem.....I guess, keep on giving them what they like...

Anywho's....

"PS4 software sales also remained strong during the 2016 holiday season with more than 50.4 million copies*3 sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of January 1, 2017. UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End reached a cumulative sell through of more than 8.7 million copies globally*4 as of December 21, 2016."

Sales = quality?, so No Mans Sky is one of the best games ever in recent years?.

Mental... what? Mmmh... time for a holiday I guess...

Anywho's....

Yayyyy this stupid thread had officially brought out one of the most mentally challenged posters.

😂😂😂

kaczmar

Doesn’t every game ever made have constant repetition?

I think you can tell who is more bias on this form than most people.

Here is your post regarding Red Dead Redemption 2

I find it odd that people call Uncharted 4 boring but say things like this regarding Red Dead Redemption 2.

I've played both and I have beaten both games. Climbing is boring, but riding back and forth on a horse before and after missions is not?

It's ok to think if a game is boring, but how you responded to people for calling RDR2 seems pretty funny based on your UC4 posts. It's literally going to a mission, get on your horse, ride to the mission while there's a conversation between the main protagonist and the other characters. After you complete the mission, you have to ride back and do the same thing all over again.
Riding a horse around a wide expanse which generally turns into emergent and interesting situations along the way is a lot different than climbing the face of a cliff in the same place for 10 minutes.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Yayyyy this stupid thread had officially brought out one of the most mentally challenged posters.

😂😂😂
On the contrary

Isnt it if a game is considered boring then it wouldnt get praised and nobody will play and buy it?Which is the opposite in the case of this game?

Just asserting some logic here

Last edited:
Top Bottom