• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Uncharted 4 one of the most boring games ever made?

lucius

Quantum Break is kind of fun just because it’s different, more people should give it a chance now on the cheap.

My main issue with UC4 was that it's too long. By about 4 hours. And series fatigue definitely played a part in my not enjoying it as much as 2.

thelastword

Banned
Interesting to see such a polarizing opinion on one of Sonys biggest franchises. Though I guess not really surprised of the opposing views. I liked #1....thought #2 was fantastic....really did not like #3 and opted to play a GWG title rather than finish it.

I'll be interested to see what I think of #4. I picked up #4 and Lost Legacy on the cheap around the holidays but currently jammed up in my backlog.
There is no polarizing opinion on UC4...It's a great game, by all the metrics we can use........

Now if an Xfan cames in and say UC4 is boring, I don't think that counts as a valid metric for the millions who bough it, yet it's his opinion....In essence, if anybody wants to find out how good a game is, first thing they do is go to Meta, but I don't think we can count on people who hate all Sony exclusives, always spout "all Sony exclusives are the same" that they are just cinematic affairs as having the concensus on UC4's outlook...This thread is in no way concensus on how UC4 was received....

Your best bet is to look at Meta, but also read the OT from GAF before the exodus, when gamers actually played and gave their reviews......It was overwhelmingly positive just as the Meta was.......

rəddəM

I found myself admiring the gameplay animations, the graphics, the scenarios, the attention to details and paying attention to the dialogue while on the boring sections.
What were you doing?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Fresh take for 2019. The anti-Sony crowd has been pretty busy making stupid topics and shit posting in others. New year, same old shit from the resident green army.

Spoken like a true fanboy. Any criticism towards what you love = anti-Sony green army feminists.

It’s incredible how Xbox exclusives takes a huge hit on SonyGAF and no one bats an eye, but if someone dares to talk about Sony’s masterpieces they are fanboys. Double standards at its best.

Just get over yourselves and Understand that not everyone likes Sony’s games, just like not everyone likes Xbox exclusives. It’s ok not to have the same taste.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's funny when The_Mike calls people fanboys yet he is always on Sony related threads bashing Sony and their games.

II_JumPeR_I

Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes, and it’s not only Uncharted, but a large amount of Sony’s titles in general, which focuses more on cinematic experiences instead of gameplay and fun.
Agree. Thats why i dont like any of this in my opinion overhyped Sony games. Sure they look cool at first glance but the gameplay seems to be almost the same the last couple of years in most Sony games. And i dont like this wax figure look they all share.

Elcid

Banned
Many players cited Uncharted 4 as an eye gouging case of repetition with its climbing, climbing and more climbing. It literally put some people to sleep, how does NeoGaf feel about this?
Uncharted 4 is one of the greatest games ever. I loved it to death and would happily climb it all over again. 3 is my personal favorite, but 4 was just incredible from beginning to end. A perfect way to close Drake's story.

Yes UC4 was boring as fuck. I hated it. Playing Doom right after finishing UC4 was so refreshing.

Lost legacy was a bit better though.

Many players cited Uncharted 4 as an eye gouging case of repetition with its climbing, climbing and more climbing. It literally put some people to sleep, how does NeoGaf feel about this?

Braindead climbing. Hold forward and mash X. UC4 is a third person shotter ashamed of being a shooter.

UC4 is the only uncharted game i couldn't replay. I played through UC2 three times in a row. And multiple times over the years.

Last edited:
lol i would say there is a tiny difference between overhyped and the most boring game ever :messenger_dizzy:

it's hilarious how people here tend to consider every sony game the same
i mean ghost of tsushima is open world game taking place during 1st Mongol invasion of Japan
what are you affraid of? that it will have equally high quality cutscenes and production values? :messenger_dizzy:

also this whole sony games focus more on cinematic experience at the expense
of gameplay and fun is just fucking ridiculous
every AAA game is aiming to have some kind of cinematic experience
sony studios are just better at it
especially if we are talking about blending it seamlessly with gameplay
that's why you have "boring" walking or climbing parts
where at least you do something while story or streaming/loading things are happening insted of just having cutscene or loading screen

anyway i see it as nothing more than lazy trolling :messenger_dizzy:
Who said I give cinematic multiplats a pass?! I didn't give red dead 2 a second look.

Just by looking at it I can tell Ghost is going to have long winded stretches of cinematic fluff.

That's another thing, I'm also sick of open world being a fad. It usually just ends up padding the game with traversal and less of a focus on core mechanics.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
When such hyperbole is used there is nothing but an agenda at play. Good residence.

KRAai

Who said I give cinematic multiplats a pass?! I didn't give red dead 2 a second look.

Just by looking at it I can tell Ghost is going to have long winded stretches of cinematic fluff.

That's another thing, I'm also sick of open world being a fad. It usually just ends up padding the game with traversal and less of a focus on core mechanics.

well if you don't like AAA games that's fine i guess
there are a lot of indie games too
i play a lot rocket league and binding of isaac. pure gameplay there
i guess nintendo doesn't go much cinematic with their "AAA" games
not sure what is the point taking part in trolling people who actually enjoy that kind of games though

well if you don't like AAA games that's fine i guess
there are a lot of indie games too
i play a lot rocket league and binding of isaac. pure gameplay there
i guess nintendo doesn't go much cinematic with their "AAA" games
not sure what is the point taking part in trolling people who actually enjoy that kind of games though

If you think everyone's a troll you need thicker skin or you're just a kid.

These games literally are trying everything they can to be movies and catering to the lowest common denominator and I'm sick of them. Its not something I've ragged on for years, there was a time when I enjoyed a red dead or uncharted but I'm just realizing how much their design annoys me.

But yes that's why ill be mostly gaming nintendo. There is 0 chance of me getting a ps5 unless its 100% bc, (and then a few years after launch)I cannot stand Sony games anymore or the majority of big budget multiplats.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Uncharted series and anything Tomb Raider after the reboot is boring and unimpressive. A bit like the Last of Us. I can't stand games that aim for a "cinematic experience".

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I thought it was boring af and by far the worst ND game I played. Not because of climbing. I hated all the emphasis on Drake's relationships and family. Couldn't stand his annoying brother nor his boring wife who apparently turned one of the best ever video game characters into a pussy-whipped snorefest.. I hated all boring drawn out family stuff. I wanted Drake the smart, reckless adventurer not Drake the boring family man who is afraid of his boring wife and keeps getting screwed over by his sleazy brother.

ISubZBR

The first half of The game is really Boring. The second is ok.
To me, it is The worst game of the series.
Look, The other games feels like a roeallercoaster, you Just cant breath between tons of enemies and all other Things happening... But, in this game, you Just climb, and climb, and climb after some dumb shit about your forgotten brother...

And, Oh Man, everything about drake's family is a lie...

its seens they wanted make some kind of desconstruction. But, in The end, this game inst really fun.

Lost Legacy in otherwise, is fun. I dont like The sjw thing(dont kwin if Gaf thinks this game is some kind of sjw thing) but this game is really fun.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All ND games are boring as shit to actually play.

Oh well, feel the opposite actually... from Crash Babdicoot to Jak & Daxter (although Jak 2 dragged the series in a direction I did not really like), to PS3’s Uncharted 1/2/3 and TLoU (man was the generation long and ND productive ), etc... if anything they got more engaging for me to play than otherwise... great fusion of storytelling, epic set pieces, and run and gun gameplay.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Looks like most agree, Uncharted 4 is the gaming equivalent of watching paint dry.
Or maybe you came preaching a conclusion in the OP and are now jumping back with another sentence as well supported as the original was ;)? Just guessing...

Last edited:

Kdad

Only about 10 million sold....so obviously there are 7.69 billion other people that think its utter crap

Terenty

Yeah, its a safe and boring game with zero creativity in the gameplay department just like God of war 2018 and Spider man that feel like they came from the same assembly line. Im saying it as an owner of only one console that is Ps4.

Actually the only great exclusive that ps4 has is Until Dawn imho. Im hoping Days Gone and Death Stranding will turn out great as they do seem like proper games.

Last edited:
If I had to break the game down into 3 acts then yes; the second act is boring.

For me the first few chapters and the last few chapters were thrilling and amazing. The middle dragged.

Great game overall

woigemok

Banned
Low effort console warring is more annoying than harsh troll like console warring...
Sony AAA titles = cinematic bullshit

CatLady

I just want to add that while I found UC4 boring, the most disappointing of the series and not really a great finale to the excellent saga of Nathan Drake, it is hardly the most boring game ever.

Personally I thought RDR2 was infinitely more boring and super annoying to boot I'm currently trying to "play" the "game" that I feel deserves the title of Most Boring Ever; Life is Strange. Can someone please tell me how & why this "game" with NO gameplay and the drivel of teenage angst that passes for a story is so highly regarded and reviewed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, its a safe and boring game with zero creativity in the gameplay department just like God of war 2018 and Spider man that feel like they came from the same assembly line. Im saying it as an owner of only one console that is Ps4.

Actually the only great exclusive that ps4 has is Until Dawn imho. Im hoping Days Gone and Death Stranding will turn out great as they do seem like proper games.

It is quite a good compliment to be as creative as two multi award winning GOTY material games that clawed record sales mark :) (... and are quite enjoyable and spectacular to play, but that is subjective so get that :)), but considering how different Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4 are (gameplay has a helluvalot more verticality for example)... not sure I see this zero creativity in the gameplay department either.

I just want to add that while I found UC4 boring, the most disappointing of the series and not really a great finale to the excellent saga of Nathan Drake, it is hardly the most boring game ever.

Personally I thought RDR2 was infinitely more boring and super annoying to boot I'm currently trying to "play" the "game" that I feel deserves the title of Most Boring Ever; Life is Strange. Can someone please tell me how & why this "game" with NO gameplay and the drivel of teenage angst that passes for a story is so highly regarded and reviewed.

I managed to get through Life is Strange somewhat enjoyably mostly because I knew nothing about it going in (got it for free) and the time travel stuff completely surprised me, so the pleasant surprise of that aspect was enough to reel me in. The story had some decent twists and turns that had me invested.

I tried the prequel (Before the Storm) and never got past the first chapter. I felt fatigued from the main game and just didn’t care enough. Haven’t played the sequel yet and probably won’t.

These kind of games (basically interactive movies) seem to be especially hit or miss.

Yeah, its a safe and boring game with zero creativity in the gameplay department just like God of war 2018 and Spider man. Im saying it as an owner of only one console that is Ps4.

Funny thing until dawn. Its objectively more movie like than anything besides a quantic dream game but I at least liked it more than other Sony games as of late. I think it's the atmosphere and the camera.

Also it doesn't even try to say its a game so I can't give it as much shit. Like, you can't even compare it to a real game. Plus its not melodramatic like QD games, its just - hey this is a cheesy horror flick where kids die lol

CatLady

I managed to get through Life is Strange somewhat enjoyably mostly because I knew nothing about it going in (got it for free) and the time travel stuff completely surprised me, so the pleasant surprise of that aspect was enough to reel me in. The story had some decent twists and turns that had me invested.

I tried the prequel (Before the Storm) and never got past the first chapter. I felt fatigued from the main game and just didn’t care enough. Haven’t played the sequel yet and probably won’t.

These kind of games (basically interactive movies) seem to be especially hit or miss.
Thank you for your reply and explanation. Before the Storm is actually what I'm actually playing. I got it on GP and thought they were the same thing. I'll try the regular one and see if I like it better.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Stop being salty, Uncharted 4 is incredibly boring. Deal with it.

You cannot fault others for seeing an OP stating an opinion, odd but still an opinion, as fact without supporting it and essentially asking “so it is objectively horrible, how do you feel? How horrible is it exactly between worst game and Sony sucks?!”... how did you honestly expected it to go ;)? Well, I tend to think exactly how it went :p.

Rogas

Banned
You cannot fault others for seeing an OP stating an opinion, odd but still an opinion, as fact without supporting it and essentially asking “so it is objectively horrible, how do you feel? How horrible is it exactly between worst game and Sony sucks?!”... how did you honestly expected it to go ;)? Well, I tend to think exactly how it went :p.

You write so passively, it's quite impressive. Why aren't you more upset?

Both of you, tone it down with the aggressive one liners. They are disruptive to an already incendiary atmosphere. Stop making it worse please.

KRAai

If you think everyone's a troll you need thicker skin or you're just a kid.

These games literally are trying everything they can to be movies and catering to the lowest common denominator and I'm sick of them. Its not something I've ragged on for years, there was a time when I enjoyed a red dead or uncharted but I'm just realizing how much their design annoys me.

But yes that's why ill be mostly gaming nintendo. There is 0 chance of me getting a ps5 unless its 100% bc, (and then a few years after launch)I cannot stand Sony games anymore or the majority of big budget multiplats.

i didn't call you a troll but a few people posting here i know from other threads
it is not a matter of thin skin just simple observation
i guess it is a valid opinion that these games are trying to be movies although i strongly disagree with that
games as a relatively young medium are looking for it's own way
i see nothing wrong in taking what's best and is working from other mediums
these games these so called cinematic experiences
are only small part of the whole gaming medium
if they annoy you it is fine it is not like nintendo will suddenly start to make those "cinematic experiences"
i don't belive they could even if they wanted to
but it doesn't matter
what annoy me are people who troll every ND/sony thread with the same bullshit
instead of just focusing on other things and let people who enjoy that kind of games well enjoy them

and it may sounds weird but there is no single day here without a thread like this
or threads with random sony news that are infested with these kind of crap
it's just boring
and sucks out fun people could have
and chage it in stupid the same fights

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You write so passively, it's quite impressive. Why aren't you more upset?

I will tell you my secret... Chai latte :)! It does wonders, really helps with passive aggressive accusations of being passive aggressive about passive aggression of passively supported arguments.

KRAai

Funny thing until dawn. Its objectively more movie like than anything besides a quantic dream game but I at least liked it more than other Sony games as of late. I think it's the atmosphere and the camera.

Also it doesn't even try to say its a game so I can't give it as much shit. Like, you can't even compare it to a real game. Plus its not melodramatic like QD games, its just - hey this is a cheesy horror flick where kids die lol

you have some weird definition of movie and game :messenger_dizzy:

I would say Forza 4 was more boring for me, I was literally falling asleep playing that for whatever reason. It was odd because I enjoy the rest of the franchise.

Terenty

Yeah, the game just oozes atmosphere and quality. The writing is also top notch, i would say its one of the best written games ever, with not one throwaway character and tons of funny moments.

Silent Duck

You forgot that they pay off tons of reviews to say the exact opposite of what you just stated ;).
What? How dare you insinuate that these noble game “journalists” would take bribes! Your comment sickens me! Like a Klepek around boobies, I feel the need to cover my eyes so that your post can’t taint my virtuous thoughts.

Now go drink two Mountain Dews and say five “Hail Doritos”. Only then will you be forgiven.
d07.png

Top Bottom