• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is #walkaway a big deal?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I didn't see a thread about this, so I figured I'd throw it out there and get some discussion running.

I came across a movement called #walkaway this past week. It has been going on for a month or so. It is a collection of Liberals who are walking away from the Democratic Party. They give reasons either on Twitter or YouTube. The video below is the one that sparked it but there are a number of other videos on YouTube using the same #walkaway label.

There's another video that gave an overview of the situation, including quotes from others who are a part of the "movement"

However, I know that sometimes these things can be like soap bubbles. Maybe it's merely a tiny movement in the corner of YouTube that won't gain traction.

Is #walkaway a sign of larger political shifts occurring in the future, or is it little more than attention grabbing? Also, do you believe the points brought up in the videos are valid?

First video made me laugh, on some Candace Owens shit. The fuck is wrong with him trying to talk to minorities like that. #redpillwoke #victimorvictor

I'll have to watch the whole second video. The first guy has symptoms of a fatiguing left moderate then goes full republican .

But no, it's not a movement, but a lot of people share the opinion online that dem's went too far with the typical criticisms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes internet boycotts. Millenials are too lazy to go to polls but they wouldnt pass up an opportunity to feel morally righteous without coming out of their homes.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
First video made me laugh, on some Candace Owens shit. The fuck is wrong with him trying to talk to minorities like that. #redpillwoke #victimorvictor

I'll have to watch the whole second video. The first guy has symptoms of a fatiguing left moderate then goes full republican .

But no, it's not a movement, but a lot of people share the opinion online that dem's went too far with the typical criticisms.
You don't think it's a movement? Seems like a lot of videos have been popping up about it over the past month.

Ah yes internet boycotts. Millenials are too lazy to go to polls but they wouldnt pass up an opportunity to feel morally righteous without coming out of their homes.
e7d278f16c805882d686bd944dbc0422.png

Dunki

no kidding. Yesterday I saw jail students starting a symbolic hunger strike in which they can eat when they want to. I mean wtf

Spheyr

Banned
Nope, #Walkaway is nothing, just ignore it and pretend it isn't happening, nothing can go wrong that way.

gohepcat

Banned
Right wing Twitter has created an alternate reality that people want to believe. That video is so cringe inducingly stupid and I couldn’t watch more than 1 minute.

If people actually believe this shit we are in a shit ton of trouble.

Last edited:

gohepcat

Banned
I can only speak from my personal experience. The Internet has warped reality so much I don’t know whether people actually believe this shit. Personally… I have never seen more people motivated to vote GOP out of office in my entire life. Dozens of people that I know who were almost completely apolitical are constantly talking about voting in the midterms.

In all honesty I don’t know if this will be effective for the country overall because I worry that people who live in red bubbles are simply not getting accurate information and creating this alternative reality where everyone supports Trump except radical left-wing college students.

Spheyr

Banned
I can only speak from my personal experience. The Internet has warped reality so much I don’t know whether people actually believe this shit. Personally… I have never seen more people motivated to vote GOP out of office in my entire life. Dozens of people that I know who were almost completely apolitical are constantly talking about voting in the midterms.

In all honesty I don’t know if this will be effective for the country overall because I worry that people who live in red bubbles are simply not getting accurate information and creating this alternative reality where everyone supports Trump except radical left-wing college students.
"I only know people who are anti Republican, you guys sure are stuck in a bubble"

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Anything with a hashtag is just dumb shit.

gohepcat

Banned
"I only know people who are anti Republican, you guys sure are stuck in a bubble"

I never claimed that I wasn’t stuck in a bubble.

I’m sorry that it’s like this. I can’t control the fact that every actual human being in my life has shifted solidly to the left. I don’t know what to tell you.

Bwesh

For me who's not from US and is outside looking in. All I can see is the extreme left just pushing everyone away. All the hate against white people, straight people, and males are not helping the democratic party at all. Those who question them get branded women haters, bigots, or nazis. All of these is what the mainstream media and celebrities are pushing as well.

So those who didn't care before now become targets of hate. Their opinions are now being invalidated and even asked to be censored just because of the color of their skin or what's in between their legs. They are now suddenly a part of a "problem" that needs to be "fixed" in some way. They didn't care before, they just got forcibly pushed to the other side. The extreme left is creating a huge divide in your country that even affects others and some Americans are just allowing it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well, it is a movement in the sense that it more so than before shakes up the notion that f.ex. blacks and gays exclusively belong to and is owned by the left. What people like Owens and Straka is doing is to make people realize that they don't HAVE TO belong to anyone but themselves as individuals, and that they are allowed to think for themselves (which also of course leaves the option to stay on the left or move to wherever they want). So this is in my opinion a very important "movement" and very good for diversity of opinions and the for the democracy as a whole.

(I did not watch the second video, so my comment is possibly unrelated to that)

Last edited:

Dunki

Right wing Twitter has created an alternate reality that people want to believe. That video is so cringe inducingly stupid and I couldn’t watch more than 1 minute.

If people actually beli shit we are in a shit ton of trouble.
This is not only a right wing problem. When . I see how people and even the Vogue argue that today it is much harder for a women to fight for their rights then their right to vote back then. I must ask myself what is wrong with people these days....

Cato

Banned
/s

Those #walkaway people were probably never proper leftists anyway, so good riddance to get rid of them half-nazis.
When file and rank gets unruly, the true response is to double down, twice as hard.

(but seriously, those protesters, that level of ignorance is amazing. twice amazing is they failed to see how ridiculous they were.
these are the people that the left thinks will help them win in 2020 ?)

Panda1

Banned

If people actually believe this shit we are in a shit ton of trouble.
and yet its a left wing video - did you ignore the whole topic and video before posting!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
/s

Those #walkaway people were probably never proper leftists anyway, so good riddance to get rid of them half-nazis.
When file and rank gets unruly, the true response is to double down, twice as hard.

(but seriously, those protesters, that level of ignorance is amazing. twice amazing is they failed to see how ridiculous they were.
these are the people that the left thinks will help them win in 2020 ?)
Well, we've seen the Left attack Bernie Sanders just this past week and claiming "maybe he's not really on our side". I mean... what?!?

I too am sick of #metoo.

#metoo has proven so very useful for so many women, though. However, I think the movement was hijacked by certain people wishing to capitalize on it, whether monetarily or using the movement to achieve notoriety or push agenda.
I'm certainly glad it blew the lid open on Hollywood's double standards, though. Some amazing meltdowns were had.

Would've been interesting if the US had a multiparty system and parliamentary system. Interests wouldn't be funneled through the two big parties and I'd imagine there'd be a lot of different parties and more cooperation between parties. It would also make the national election more centered, instead of the Presidential election being the focus point.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Would've been interesting if the US had a multiparty system and parliamentary system. Interests wouldn't be funneled through the two big parties and I'd imagine there'd be a lot of different parties and more cooperation between parties. It would also make the national election more centered, instead of the Presidential election being the focus point.
I've heard this brought up and though I don't disagree that it might help, our system does have measures to prevent parties gaining too much power. However, it requires citizens to be very involved with their city and state governments, pushing hard for the specific regional things they want regulated and legislated. It requires states to coordinate their economies with one another better in order to be less reliant on Federal regulations. This requires responsible capitalism and a politically-informed populace, which is why it barely ever happens. And of course, we're assuming the Gov't is functioning smoothly and isn't misrepresenting their own constituents...

Anyway. If people were to get much more involved in local government they would see more independent parties asking for their vote. At the Federal level, independents don't get Senate seats or elected president usually. But at the state and local level it happens often enough. If we saw that happening more often, then the populace would be less weirded out by a multi-party presidential election. This would be a good way to move us to a multi-party system of parties that much cooperate to get things done now.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't know if its a movement but it's caught my attention more and more, and obviously a lot of people can relate to it with the recent calls for harassment and violence. The neoconservative movement was born out of the excesses of the New Left, when the platform shifted from equal opportunity to radical social engineering, like overthrowing the institution of the family. We've seem the left come back to some of that in recent years, so I'm not surprised at all to see a similar alienating effect.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Jesus Christ..what? How is this is “left wing video”? The only people talking about it are paranoid right wing crazy people on Twitter. It’s embarrassingly stupid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...l-and-nothing-matters/?utm_term=.a89beae03928
It's produced by a former Left-aligned person and is being championed by people aligned with the Left as they #walkaway

Unsure how the "only" people talking about it can be paranoid right-wing people on Twitter when the movement itself is composed of Left-wing disenfranchised voters.

You seem insulted -- fearful, even -- at the idea that Left-leaning supporters are disappointed with the Democratic party.

PkunkFury

This is so doofy

You all know very well this is no more real than #Trump_Regrets or whatever similar schlock the left was pushing. These are both the definition of propaganda.

That's not to say it never works. Maybe a few weak centrists are tipping one way or another, but if these were real movements you'd see them reflected in approval ratings and special elections.

KINGMOKU

For me who's not from US and is outside looking in. All I can see is the extreme left just pushing everyone away. All the hate against white people, straight people, and males are not helping the democratic party at all. Those who question them get branded women haters, bigots, or nazis. All of these is what the mainstream media and celebrities are pushing as well.

So those who didn't care before now become targets of hate. Their opinions are now being invalidated and even asked to be censored just because of the color of their skin or what's in between their legs. They are now suddenly a part of a "problem" that needs to be "fixed" in some way. They didn't care before, they just got forcibly pushed to the other side. The extreme left is creating a huge divide in your country that even affects others and some Americans are just allowing it.
You sir, are absolutely correct. The extremists have shoved me right out and besides the extra portion of "your white shut up and vote the "correct way", this new abolish ice and open borders insanity is going to be the tipping point for tons of other left leaning, or moderate Democrats.

Its absolute craziness as the overwhelming majority of Americans do not support open borders. I've never seen a party more out of touch with their majority base before in my lifetime(41).

The democratic party has lost the plot. If they fail to flip the house or Senate, its going to be a house cleaning for them and I would expect Pelosi, waters, and the like to be silenced as they have proved to be deeply unpopular with anyone Republican or Democrat.

If they only flip one by a narrow margin it's still going to be a house cleaning. No mandate in this political climate is a death knell.

Spheyr

Banned
This is so doofy

You all know very well this is no more real than #Trump_Regrets or whatever similar schlock the left was pushing. These are both the definition of propaganda.

That's not to say it never works. Maybe a few weak centrists are tipping one way or another, but if these were real movements you'd see them reflected in approval ratings and special elections.
So approval ratings for Trump would be increasing (they are) and Republicans would be winning special elections (they have) if it were real? Well boy have I got some Reality Check for you.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is so doofy

Do you feel a change of elected representation in the upcoming Midterms would be proof that it is a "real movement"?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is so doofy

Yeah, it's usually the case where some members of a group are unsatisfied with their group, and it's also usually the case where the rival group jumps to point out those isolated incidents as representing a broader movement of unrest. More often than not it turns out to be sensationalism.

It is very true that real movements result in electoral changes. See the Tea Party for example, where unhappy conservatives rebelled and won against a large portion of establishment Republicans. On the Democratic side, if the Justice Democrats can get enough additional upsets to rock the establishment Democrats, then it will have gained enough momentum to enact wide spread change in the party. I hope it does.

Last edited:

PkunkFury

Do you feel a change of elected representation in the upcoming Midterms would be proof that it is a "real movement"?

Yes, it's clear that a change of the guard during midterms would represent a "real movement". I did not indicate otherwise.

So approval ratings for Trump would be increasing (they are) and Republicans would be winning special elections (they have) if it were real? Well boy have I got some Reality Check for you.

approval ratings have been normalizing for Trump long before this hashtag was a thing. I did not say this isn't the case.
Trumps approval rating appears to have slowly been improving since December
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
I don't see any reason to believe a hashtag recently pushed by right wing media is the cause

Concerning special elections, it's harder to find solid data, but reporting seems to indicate heavy Democratic favor since Trump's election:
http://www.politifact.com/florida/s...emocrats-gained-50-seats-formerly-held-repub/
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...pecial-election-results-shift-democratic.html

I'm not going to spend much more time looking for specifics, if you are willing to prove me wrong I'd be happy to learn more

And once again, how is this any different than #Trump_Regrets??? You conveniently ignored that portion of my post to push your agenda

It's right wing media pushing this, the guy above me just posted a Fox News interview^^^^ When I google the term, I see such gems as RT, WND, Western Journal Conservative Tribune, and Brietbart
Much like left wing media pushed Trump_Regrets

Last edited:
Top Bottom