• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Zelda II actually fun?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Its forgettable IMO.

Or not forgettable for being probably the worse in the series. I lie to you not, all I remember from this game is the side scrolling fighting. I have forgotten everything else about it.

No. Play Wonder Boy in Monster World instead, it's kind of like it, except good.

Lots of people compare the two, but they're too different. MW is more Metroid-y but has less substantial combat.

Its forgettable IMO.

Or not forgettable for being probably the worse in the series. I lie to you not, all I remember from this game is the side scrolling fighting. I have forgotten everything else about it.

There are lots of other more forgettable games because of what you described.

There are also far lesser games in the series.

Nope. The surge of "THIS GAME IS ACTUALLY GREAT" it has been getting over the last few years is so off base. It definitely has some forward-thinking ideas, but that doesn't make it a good game. Some tweaks here and there would make it an amazing game, which is what is really so disappointing about it. Melee range/combat, enemy health/ai, level design and progression all could be SO much better with some small tweaks. It's ridiculous.

There's a reason they went back to the first formula.

They were going to do so anyways.

Not ever going back is a mistake IMO.

Nope. The surge of "THIS GAME IS ACTUALLY GREAT" it has been getting over the last few years is so off base. It definitely has some forward-thinking ideas, but that doesn't make it a good game. Some tweaks here and there would make it an amazing game, which is what is really so disappointing about it. Melee range/combat, enemy health/ai, level design and progression all could be SO much better with some small tweaks. It's ridiculous.

True, but still, it's enough to counter all the claims that it's a travesty that has rightfully never been revisited.

I mean, if I had a nickel for every game out there that has been revered despite not really being more remarkable on the whole (IMO of course)...

psyfi

Banned
I pretty much hate Zelda II, but I want a successor SO BAD. The game had a ton of good ideas, and I'd love to see them try it out again.

emag

It's pretty good. Like Shovel Knight but with greater difficulty, a real overworld, and better music.

No Zelda game comes close to the masterpiece that is the original, though. Miyamoto knocked it out of the park with that one.

Willenium

Zelda 2 is challenging, but in a really good way.

and DO NOT sleep on Minish Cap. It's charming, fun, unique... A great game.

my personal best-to-worst list:

Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
Minish Cap
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Link Between Worlds
Link's Adventure
Majora's Mask
Twilight Princess
the Original
the Oracles
Spirit Tracks
that other DS one
Skyward Sword

jph139

Zelda II is actually a ton of fun. You have to enter into it with a certain mindset - it's not really Zelda-ish, but as a combat-heavy old school side-scrolling RPG hybrid type thing, it's very creative with a huge world to explore and a great sense of adventure.

Definitely a fucker of a game though. I was only able to beat it on the Wii U - I can't imagine going through that final dungeon without save states. Christ, it was a nightmare even with them.

Top Bottom