• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isn't borderless windowed mode supposed to eliminate screen tearing?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Omg, forcing Triple Buffering Off might have fixed it.
Battlefield 1 campaign and Overwatch have no stutter, 60fps smooth as butter with no tearing and no input lag in Borderless mode.
Battlefield 1 online had the stutter due to frame drops, but they shouldn’t be occuring though... when I run it with the screen tearing it runs at 80-100 fps at 1080p so it shouldn’t be dropping any frames.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait what the shit, I removed the fps cap in RTSS and the tearing didn’t come back, I get 100fps in borderless with no Vsync and no tearing...

etta

my hard graphic balls
question, have you installed any new gpu updates?

Just the latest one lols.

Omg guys so I think it works now, Vsync and Triple Buffer forced to Off in Global, Borderless chosen in game. For those who couldn't get it to work should try this. RTSS cap isn't needed apparently.

Wait what the fuck, trying it in Siege now, if I run in Windowed mode (not Borderless), it doesn't tear, but I get the ugly ass borders and the screen space is slightly smaller. If I run it in Borderless it tears, wtf...

Sounds like whatever the game is calling borderless windowed mode isn't actually boarderless windowed.

Try with an external utility instead.

In other news, I hate everything related to frame pacing, triple bufferring, vsync, etc. The method of fixing it is different in every game, and until you get it right everything feels awful.

Just the latest one lols.

Omg guys so I think it works now, Vsync and Triple Buffer forced to Off in Global, Borderless chosen in game. For those who couldn't get it to work should try this. RTSS cap isn't needed apparently.

have you restarted since you did?

etta

my hard graphic balls
have you restarted since you did?

I don't think so, I think it was the forcing Vsync + Triple Buffer to Off in NVCP Global that made it work, not the RTSS cap.

Oh you meant since the driver install, of course, must've restarted at least 10 times with all the fucking around with the settings.

Vashzaron

Wait what the fuck, trying it in Siege now, if I run in Windowed mode (not Borderless), it doesn't tear, but I get the ugly ass borders and the screen space is slightly smaller. If I run it in Borderless it tears, wtf...

I get this same thing in a few games when using their implementation of "Borderless Window," what I do to fix it is use something that can make window stuff borderless instead like borderless gaming and set window mode then use the third party tool.

Mohasus

Neither the Game Bar nor the Game Mode helped, nor both at the same time.
Ugh, I’ll continue to use Fullscreen + Adaptive forced by Nvidia then, at least there’s less input lag in that one than norman Vsync.
Adaptive is normal v-sync. The only difference is that is your framerate drops below the refresh rate, the v-sync is disabled.

molnizzle

So now it behaves as it should in Borderless, without tearing and no input lag, but it’s not smooth, there’s stuttering that happens as I move around. It’s not constant, it happens every other second or so, plays smooth in between the stutters. Both BF1 and R6S behave this way.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This is standard with bordetless and one of the reasons I'm always shocked to see it recommended on GAF. It's not a smooth experience most of the time. Certain engines are especially bad.

Exclusive full screen + adaptive Vsync is still the only acceptable solution besides Gsync.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This is standard with bordetless and one of the reasons I'm always shocked to see it recommended on GAF. It's not a smooth experience most of the time. Certain engines are especially bad.

Exclusive full screen + adaptive Vsync is still the only acceptable solution besides Gsync.
Errrr, I dunno, it plays smooth now. I think the Triple Buffering thing in NVCP is broken or like the other person said, it’s only for OpenGL, so it breaks DX titles. The games play fine now, I played 3 rounds of Overwatch with no input lag in borderless window with no tearing and at 100-150 fps.

Iceternal

I'm still having the issue OP described ! And his solution didn"t work for me.

I'm playing Shadow of War at the moment and their borderless option gives me tearing.

M3d10n

I'm pretty sure I remember reading about a new GPU present mode added to some Windows 10 update that allows borderless full screen to bypass the desktop compositing triple buttering, performing and looking the same as exclusive fullscreen, tearing and all, but with fast alt tab support.

Top Bottom